Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

• 04-04-2007 9:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Dose anyone know that if you get in as a reserve are you posted to another part of the city?
    I got an e mail from them wondering if i was still interested in an interview. I sent it off two weeks ago. I was told by a cop that the turn over rate is high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

Bradidup wrote:
    Dose anyone know that if you get in as a reserve are you posted to another part of the city?
    I got an e mail from them wondering if i was still interested in an interview. I sent it off two weeks ago. I was told by a cop that the turn over rate is high.

Not sure where youre cop friend is getting his/her info, depending on what station he/she is attached to.
    but my mate was on the pilot scheme and given that they have done seven months already and have not had any hassle, and have NOT had any drop outs, I would say go for your interview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

wex wrote:
    Not sure where youre cop friend is getting his/her info, depending on what station he/she is attached to.
    but my mate was on the pilot scheme and given that they have done seven months already and have not had any hassle, and have NOT had any drop outs, I would say go for your interview

Yes Ill go for it, I think that guy was based in Stillorgan area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbiedublin

Congrats to you. I am stationed in Dublin at the min and the work is great. I am mainly involved in local patroling and traffic duties. Hope you enjoy the training.

Best wishes
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

The link below makes for an interesting read, the "Specials" across the pond being a broadly similar outfit to our GR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constables

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I know u guys probaly dont know but question not really answered,still a concern on income protection issue.Anyone got an idea???:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

:cool:hi guys..well,where do i start..,?? after passing out a couple off weeks ago,i`ve been on duty most saturday nights and a few day shifts too (8 hrs.) and my last night shift, on sat.which turn out to be, just short off 12 hrs..a busy night,with lots going on..drug arrest,underage drinking,drink driving, and then assault,and lots more..etc..Can anyone tell me what exactly are our powers..?? without the exception off section 4:3, what are they..?? example.. called to a fight in a disco..2 guys involved..1st guy comes up to me telling what happened inside the disco,whilst the 2nd guy comes flying out off the disco, through the doors,in an agitated state,,being carried off the ground by the bouncers,and into the back off my full time partner..who arrested him under the public order act, section 4..whilst handcuffing him,with the help off the bouncers,to restraining him, my guy,whom i was taking down his details,connected his fist to the other guy face..with that i took him to the ground and put handcuffes on him..called for back up,as a crowd had gathered,and took the prisioners away to the stn.
    Whilst back at the stn. the 2nd guy was booked for sectin 4 public order..and put into the cell to cool and sober up..my guy..well i could`nt charge him with any public order offence,as we dont have the powers,and told the member in charge,that we haven`t these powers,he was charged with assault 2..processed, and put into the cell..all done and dusted..until we get a statement from the 1st guy who was assaulted.. as i thought..
    Then,the sgt in charge that night,went through me, for taken this guy in..saying that we (all Reserves) are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike..cause we haven`t got these powers..told him it wasn`t my fault for that,but thought to myself just let him rant off..but when he said to me that i could find myself in hot water for taking in the 2nd. guy,who i saw assault the 1st guy in handcuffes,who was in garda custody,i thought to myself, F**K this...what the f**k are we to do..??? my full time partner,took the vow off silence..and said nothing..cheers..
    Who do you ask,?? our inspector..?? well he`s as useful as that ashtray..there is no one that i know,who to ask..?? the guy`s in templemore,i doubt it..they have enough on there plate..i don`t know..perhaps some off the 1st. reserves will know..seeing that they are in nearly a year now.. another question that i have and i`d imaging a lot off reserves have,are we covered whilst on duty..i`d imaging we are,but what cover do we have,,?? has anyone seen it and what it cover`s.. who represents us..?? the full time guys have gra.. what do we have...??? anyway..thats the rant over..enjoying it..a few younger garda`s have a chip on there shoulder over us..after them doing 2 yrs etc..but what can we do about it..?? anyway whats your views on the above..??? sparkie..:cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Jesus Christ Sparkie that's frankly quiet worrying, how quickly the full-timers turned the tables on you when the going got tough.

The rest of us have a lot to be thankful to you for because you started this thread in the first place and it has become a great resource for myself and others like me.

I have an interview next wednesday and I feel like bringing your experience to their attention.

Keep your head up and keep up the good work, reserves are doing it for nothing, I see that as being the true indication of your vocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

:cool:hi guys..well,where do i start..,?? after passing out a couple off weeks ago,i`ve been on duty most saturday nights and a few day shifts too (8 hrs.) and my last night shift, on sat.which turn out to be, just short off 12 hrs..a busy night,with lots going on..drug arrest,underage drinking,drink driving, and then assault,and lots more..etc..Can anyone tell me what exactly are our powers..?? without the exception off section 4:3, what are they..?? example.. called to a fight in a disco..2 guys involved..1st guy comes up to me telling what happened inside the disco,whilst the 2nd guy comes flying out off the disco, through the doors,in an agitated state,,being carried off the ground by the bouncers,and into the back off my full time partner..who arrested him under the public order act, section 4..whilst handcuffing him,with the help off the bouncers,to restraining him, my guy,whom i was taking down his details,connected his fist to the other guy face..with that i took him to the ground and put handcuffes on him..called for back up,as a crowd had gathered,and took the prisioners away to the stn.
    Whilst back at the stn. the 2nd guy was booked for sectin 4 public order..and put into the cell to cool and sober up..my guy..well i could`nt charge him with any public order offence,as we dont have the powers,and told the member in charge,that we haven`t these powers,he was charged with assault 2..processed, and put into the cell..all done and dusted..until we get a statement from the 1st guy who was assaulted.. as i thought..
    Then,the sgt in charge that night,went through me, for taken this guy in..saying that we (all Reserves) are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike..cause we haven`t got these powers..told him it wasn`t my fault for that,but thought to myself just let him rant off..but when he said to me that i could find myself in hot water for taking in the 2nd. guy,who i saw assault the 1st guy in handcuffes,who was in garda custody,i thought to myself, F**K this...what the f**k are we to do..??? my full time partner,took the vow off silence..and said nothing..cheers..
    Who do you ask,?? our inspector..?? well he`s as useful as that ashtray..there is no one that i know,who to ask..?? the guy`s in templemore,i doubt it..they have enough on there plate..i don`t know..perhaps some off the 1st. reserves will know..seeing that they are in nearly a year now.. another question that i have and i`d imaging a lot off reserves have,are we covered whilst on duty..i`d imaging we are,but what cover do we have,,?? has anyone seen it and what it cover`s.. who represents us..?? the full time guys have gra.. what do we have...??? anyway..thats the rant over..enjoying it..a few younger garda`s have a chip on there shoulder over us..after them doing 2 yrs etc..but what can we do about it..?? anyway whats your views on the above..??? sparkie..:cool::)

Read your thread with some concern. Thankfully have not encountered this level of hostility from a full time member. In my experience it is impossible to get a straight answer from Garda management regarding exact powers etc . Hopefully there will be devlopments regarding public disorder soon as it is the bread and butter of our duties. Lads on my unit are very helpful and support you in a difficult situation. They give me free reign but i am always concerned that i will do something that i dont have the power to do. Wondering are others in this boat also..Keep up the replies as it is the best source of info i have received to date. PS still enjoying it so far but couldnt see myself doing it fulltime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hi Sparkie,

Its a pity that you have faced such a problem just after you passed out, with regards to the po incident outside the disco, sounds like everything happened pretty fast, but at the end of the day irrespective of how bad/difficult things get you cannot arrest anyone without the power do to so, and you have to take into account that cuffing someone in the public's point of view is in effect preforming an arrest. With regard to the SHO, he was exactly correct however crap it sounds. Powers for Reserve members are listed in a handbook which you should have been issued already. The member you were out with probably had less of an idea of what your powers are than you did. I can only go on my own experience, and I have said this before, watch, listen & learn.
    The best thing to do when going on patrol with someone who you have only met is to:
    1. Get his/her mobile number in case you get seperated and radios go down.
    2. Ask what they want you do to if things get hairy.
    3. Ask what they would prefer you did'nt do.
    4. If you are not sure what action to take in any given situation you have no option but to look for guidence, you cant assume to over step the boundries.
    You have to put yourself into the shoes of the person who has been out for a few beers and got into a scuffle faced with the Guards arriving, and then perhaps finding out the next day when the clouds of beer have faded that they were restrained by someone who did not have the power to take the action in the first place.

Next one, we are covered while on duty.
    And last but not least, we dont have any representation outside of ourselves, and thats not necessarily a bad thing, its been a fairly long slog to try and negate "a them and us attitude", and it is getting better. There are not too many Reserve members at this stage.I think you will find that aside of the fact that the SHO and indeed the member you were out with did'nt stand up for you as such, you probably earned yourself and all of us a little bit more "fair play to him".
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

I agree with everything Geo said above.The whole concept of the Reserves is new to everybody including the Garda Hierarchy and as such everybody is feeling there way around.At the moment our powers are very limited mainly to Road traffic and section 4 of the Criminal justice act.
    Look listen and learn is good advice as we are all on a very long learning curve here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Geo is 100% right.

If you make an arrest like that it is an illegal arrest. You can assist the full timer like IE using your own handcuffs etc. I'm one of the originals and I have not arrested anybody. However, I know reserves who have arrested, while on their 40 hours! We do not have even the power to enforce the By-Laws!!!
    The Gard he was on with accepted the arrest and was all in his name, however if the prisoner was smart enough to cop on that it was a reserve he could go further. Also, if a Gard tells you to arrest someone, you don't have to do. Even the Super cannot tell anyone to make an arrest. It is purely down to you.

Geo1212 are your initials BF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

:cool: hi geo.. thanks for the advice,etc,etc..but i never arrested him..by putting him into handcuffes for my own,my partners and the other prisioner`s and general`s public safety,as well as his own safety..as he was up for takin on the world..etc..anyway..it`s all blown over,as the assaulted person,is not pressing charges,and everything is dropped..with the exception off that he(ie.prisioner)will be charged with section 4 public order...
    I never,nore the class i was in ,never received any booklet,about our powers..do we have full road traffic act powers,section 49,69,etc or just section 91 and 107..??? so where did you get that booklet from ..??
    :cool:hi batton charge, i received my epaulets,before i left for templemore..i agree the reserve concept is new,but its a year old now since the first recruits joined up..and at this stage,i would of imagined,it would be up and running,not limping along as it seems to be now, and as for the public order act..i`ve heard that we are getting these powers now for nearly a year or so,as rumours go in the guards,they dont want to give us these powers,as then we will have to go to court,and be paid expensive`s,time off work,,etc..anyway,dont take this up wrong,but we are 170+ attested,with at least another 100+ in training,and we have no one to ask anything off, ie how do you order a new shirt,etc..was told by the inspector make up a half sheet,and put it into writing,size,etc and why you need it...??? no problem with that..but what the f**k are half sheets..?? haha dont worry i found out since..
    :cool:thanks miju,in control,lehanemore, for your reply`s and concerns...took me years to get into this police force,and have no intention off a few "thicks"to put me off..really enjoy my time in it, and feel like a missionary sometimes,trying to convert the natives..haha..:)
    sparkie:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Hi Sparkie,

Really shocked to hear of your incident / story. As has been said already the Reserves are still in its baby shoes with apparantly very limited powers. It still amazes me that we, as you have demonstrated, will commonly encounter public order or similar incidents but basically can do flip all in terms of enforcing the law, apart from assist. I would hope that as time and the reserves progress things will change and the powers that be will release additional powers to increase our practical use. Its good to know that the reserves are actually being used on the streets instead of making tea or whatever, but I suppose its just a matter of listening and learning and climbing that learning curve, but thats providing we have friendly support and assistance. Most of the Gards I've met so far appear to be approachable and friendly so hopefully that will continue when I get posted as its bad enough not being able to talk to anyone about Garda matters without encountering situation like yours and not being able to talk to anyone.

Beginning to get very nervous now as P3 is only a few weeks away, especially hearing of everyones practical experiences. Looking forward to P4 but very nervous / borderline scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Thanks Freddie, Have to say I'd be more nervous about the medical more than any other stage so far. I'm not too worried about my general fitness but, for example, I could have something wrong with my hearing I never knew about. After getting all the interviews etc that would be a kick in the teeth. If I pass it I'm down to Templemore on the 1st and 2nd of December. All going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xxbevelsxx

hi..just wondering if anyone applied to the garda reserve,and if so,how did they get on.???:cool:

Hiya!

im a reserve based in dublin! Loving it and since joining have applied for full time! what u wanna know?? :D

:cool: hi geo.. thanks for the advice,etc,etc..but i never arrested him..by putting him into handcuffes for my own,my partners and the other prisioner`s and general`s public safety,as well as his own safety..as he was up for takin on the world..etc..anyway..it`s all blown over,as the assaulted person,is not pressing charges,and everything is dropped..with the exception off that he(ie.prisioner)will be charged with section 4 public order...
    I never,nore the class i was in ,never received any booklet,about our powers..do we have full road traffic act powers,section 49,69,etc or just section 91 and 107..??? so where did you get that booklet from ..??
    :cool:hi batton charge, i received my epaulets,before i left for templemore..i agree the reserve concept is new,but its a year old now since the first recruits joined up..and at this stage,i would of imagined,it would be up and running,not limping along as it seems to be now, and as for the public order act..i`ve heard that we are getting these powers now for nearly a year or so,as rumours go in the guards,they dont want to give us these powers,as then we will have to go to court,and be paid expensive`s,time off work,,etc..anyway,dont take this up wrong,but we are 170+ attested,with at least another 100+ in training,and we have no one to ask anything off, ie how do you order a new shirt,etc..was told by the inspector make up a half sheet,and put it into writing,size,etc and why you need it...??? no problem with that..but what the f**k are half sheets..?? haha dont worry i found out since..
    :cool:thanks miju,in control,lehanemore, for your reply`s and concerns...took me years to get into this police force,and have no intention off a few "thicks"to put me off..really enjoy my time in it, and feel like a missionary sometimes,trying to convert the natives..haha..:)

As far as powers at the mo. its basic traffic 107/109, but yea we all keep hearing about that being increased. Public order, not in at the moment, but again 4/5/6/8 are supposed to be added at some stage.
    Uniform re-placement, its a case of submitting a request, stating what happened to the original, and I dont mean sold it on e-bay "only kiddin", just state why the item is no longer serviceable etc, and then ask where to send it, I would assume it may be different depending on where you are, how big the station etc.
    With any questions/problems, we have a liasion, but if unsure about anything and you cant get an answer I would suppose the Reserve office in the Depot is probably the best place to ring, but I am not entirely sure on that one

With the lingo, its a whole different world! half sheets, Cig's, DFB, Mules's, Skipper, Tango's, but you do pick it up eventually!

well done for starting this site as it is a great form of feedback from other members. keep your head up and dont let the whingers get you down . As regards half sheets etc when you come from the private sector where everything is rapid and must be done yesterday the Gardai is like stepping into the past . Do they not have e mail as every thing is on paper and has to go through the chain of command. Passed out in may and got epuallettes today after chasing them up myself with the Reserve office. They were in the station in a box for 3 months. Girl in the reserve office is very nice and helpful. As regards money you will get €1000 after you complete 1 years service. This 208 hours includes training time.ie phases 1 to 5. Keep the info flowing.

miju wrote: »
    lollers, do you know why its folded in the first place? I think they should include a Garda culture class in templemore for the many slang terms I know they have one for civvies on what are Kigs , mules , muleproof (cos they'll try to break it , eat or **** it :p:p:p:p )

If already attested members need specific queries answered PM them to me as I have alot of the answers to hand.

One question. If you get in a situation where you and the full time member have a complaint registered against you , he or she has the GRA to look after their needs, who have we standing behind us?

miju wrote: »
    if such a person was here they wouldn't be allowed to give out said information publicily due to everything needing to go through the press office, course PMs would be a different matter ;)

True enough miju!

by the way, why is a half sheet folded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fatted

Yes, you arrested him. What do you think putting someone in handcuffs is called? Arrest = curtailing someone's freedom. Legal Arrest = Arresting someone for an offence and having the power to do so! You can't just grab / handcuff / lock up people because _you_ think its the right thing to do. It must be _legal_!
    The garda reserve been told explicitly that we do not have powers under the public order or offences against the person act.
    What you might have done is arrested him for a breach of the peace. Which is a common law power. But you'd have to decide if that was appropriate.
    The garda reserve handbook was passed out in Templemore (still in draft mode). You should also have had to sign for the final version, either from your sergeant or inspector who handles the Garda Reserve in your station/devision.

• Advertisement

fatted wrote: »
    Yes, you arrested him. What do you think putting someone in handcuffs is called? Arrest = curtailing someone's freedom. Legal Arrest = Arresting someone for an offence and having the power to do so! You can't just grab / handcuff / lock up people because _you_ think its the right thing to do. It must be _legal_!
    The garda reserve been told explicitly that we do not have powers under the public order or offences against the person act.
    What you might have done is arrested him for a breach of the peace. Which is a common law power. But you'd have to decide if that was appropriate.
    The garda reserve handbook was passed out in Templemore (still in draft mode). You should also have had to sign for the final version, either from your sergeant or inspector who handles the Garda Reserve in your station/devision.

This is from the Criminal Law Bill 1996. As far as I can make out any citizen, whether dressed as a Garda Reserve or in civilian clothes has the power to arrest a person if:

“(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(5) A person who is arrested pursuant to this section by a person other than a member of the Garda Síochána shall be transferred into the custody of the Garda Síochána as soon as practicable.”

This deals with citizens arrest but I'm sure other people would have a more definite knowlege of whether it applies in Sparkies case.

colliegG wrote: »
    This is from the Criminal Law Bill 1996.

Do you mean the Criminal Law Act 1997? What you've quoted is a subsection of Section 4. The important part of section 4 is this:

4.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), any person may arrest without warrant anyone who is or whom he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects to be in the act of committing an arrestable offence.

N.B. Arrestable Offence!, this has a very definite meaning.

Section 2 of the same act:

"arrestable offence" means an offence for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may, under or by virtue of any enactment, be punished by imprisonment for a term of five years or by a more severe penalty and includes an attempt to commit any such offence.

Assault is not an arrestable offence.

It might be time for some of you's to brush off the dust on some of the law books...

Sparkie saya that this person was causing a threat to others He was not trying not to be arrested. “(4) An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection (1) or (2) where he or she, with reasonable cause, suspects that the person to be arrested by him or her would otherwise attempt to avoid, or is avoiding, arrest by a member of the Garda Síochána.

So not too sure how it would go?
    The only other way for Reserve arrest is if the penalty for the action is 5 years or more etc

I'd have to buy the books first fatted! Honestly I pretty much just googled citizens arrest. Thats why I said other people would be better placed to interpret it. What power does a store detective have to detain someone or are they allowed any more?

Dee5 wrote: »
    An arrest other than by a member of the Garda Síochána may only be effected by a person under subsection

While on duty a garda reserve has the same powers as a full member of the Gardai! (but see below!) So subsections 4 and 5 of section 4 don't apply. You can't analyse bits of sections without reading the whole section.

Section 15 of the Garda Síochána Act 2005:

(3) Subject to subsection (5), a reserve member has, while on duty, the same powers, immunities, privileges and duties as a person appointed under section 14 to the rank of garda.
    (5) The Garda Commissioner may determine the range of powers to be exercised and duties to be carried out by reserve members.

Its subsection 5 that limits our powers as per the garda reserve handbook.

It seems ridiculous that you can't restrain someone who is causing a real danger to other people. Completely seriously, are you supposed to allow someone to kick the hell out of another person while you watch, whether or not you're a reserve or a private citizen? I can understand the "legal ramifications" of aiding someone but I still think ignoring it is wrong. What Sparkie did seems more like the moral decision even if it's not exactly "proper"! Of course I still have to pass my medical before it becomes an issue for me anyway!!

What power does a store detective have to detain someone or are they allowed any more?

A store detective has no special powers. He would make use of the same section 4 Criminal Law 1997 as any other person c/would.

But he could detain someone? It's just I wouldn't think shop lifting would get you five years!

But he could detain someone? It's just I wouldn't think shop lifting would get you five years!

Theft carries a penalty up to 10 years in prison (Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001), which makes it an arrestable offence, which means a store detective could arrest someone under section 4 of the Criminal Law Act.

• Advertisement

No it won't get you five years! But they are using citizen's arrest in the sense that the person is making off without paying forthe goods. If you said to a shop lifter wait there till the gards come sure they'd be off like a shot! Therefore they can use citizen's arrest until the Gards arrive.

Advertisement