Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr replacement

• 05-02-2012 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Anyone know what they a replacing the steyr with, i heard it has been budgeted for but would like to know what they plan to buy ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Story_Bud wrote: »
    Anyone know what they a replacing the steyr with, i heard it has been budgeted for but would like to know what they plan to buy ?!

It's not exactly a secret that it's the A3 for the PDF? (is there an A4 out now as well?).

I'm guessing the RDF get passed-down whatever A1 bits and pieces are then surplus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Thanks i had been wondering ever since i read an article on it but no mention of what was going to replace it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

They're not seriously going to replace all the Steyrs already?

What ever happened to all the old FN's? I'd love to get a decommissioned one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The Steyrs have been in service for a lot shorter than the FN's , whats the rationale for replacing them ?

newmug wrote: »
    They're not seriously going to replace all the Steyrs already?

What ever happened to all the old FN's? I'd love to get a decommissioned one!

Can't really comment on the Steyrs... but it's fairly obvious to anyone that they've been in heavy use for two and a half decades now, and the newer marks will fix problems and keep them up to date with the latest rifle technology trends. The FNs were clapped out after not much more service, and clearly obsolescent.

At least some of the old FNs have recently been taken out of reserve stocks, gotten some new furniture and been recycled as the new spotter automatic weapon for sniper team self-protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Delancey wrote: »
    The Steyrs have been in service for a lot shorter than the FN's , whats the rationale for replacing them ?

FN entered service with the Irish Army in 1960. It retired from frontline service in 1990(30 yrs)
    The Steyr entered service in 1986, and have not been retired yet, but evaluation of replacements take a while, so it may be 2017 when it finally enters service, given the other Defence Expenses that are forthcoming in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Delancey wrote: »
    Well you have to remember that any Country that recieved a ''bail-out'' from the IMF must send 10% on military goods (see Greece buying new tanks from the US)
    (will back up or remove as soon as I can find the source web site )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

whydave wrote: »
    Well you have to remember that any Country that recieved a ''bail-out'' from the IMF must send 10% on military goods (see Greece buying new tanks from the US)

What?!? Have you got a source for that?

If that's true, thats the most mental thing I have ever heard :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unless you have more recent information...

http://www.defencegreece.com/index.php/2011/10/the-greek-government-denied-that-there-will-be-a-supply-of-400-used-tanks-from-the-u-s/
    The Greek government denied that there will be a supply of 400 used tanks from the U.S. The reports are not true, said the government spokesman Mr. Mosialos in a statement. “There is no deal, there are no thoughts to acquire 400 tanks, as the publications suggest, there will be no new burdens on the state budget. Categorical denial: there is no such thing”, concludes the statement.

Frankly, the Greeks can't afford them. They've even down-gunned some of their Leopard 2s to 105mm cannons in order to save on ammunition costs.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

(will back up or remove as soon as I can find the source web site )
    Sorry cann't find the web site I was looking at and as stated will rmove comment
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

A3 according to my source in Ordnance. Rationale being reduced training costs, plenty of spares around from A1's, need for greater modularity with accessories offered by A3, positive experience with steyr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Maoltuile wrote: »
    (is there an A4 out now as well?).

There are two versions of the A3, the A3 and the A3 SF.

See http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/military-law-enf/

neilled wrote: »

Thanks. Is that a mechanism release catch on the A3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There was also an Austeyr A4, but that seems to have dropped off the radar somewhat.

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

OP do you have a link to the article? I'd like to get a read of it.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Any idea what sites they might put on them anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Donny5 wrote: »

There was also an Austeyr A4, but that seems to have dropped off the radar somewhat.

It is.

This presentation covers where the aussies are going with the f-88 http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdayInter12397Evenden.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

If your refering to the catch on the side of the butt, just behind the magazine, then it's an extra magazine catch required in the US, AFAIK for the purpose of preventing high speed mag changes etc

SIRREX wrote: »
    If your refering to the catch on the side of the butt, just behind the magazine, then it's an extra magazine catch required in the US, AFAIK for the purpose of preventing high speed mag changes etc

You're talking out your arse - it's the Bolt Release Catch and it releases the action forward following an IA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

The PDF already use the AUG A2 in limited numbers, fitted with an Elcan sight. And have been using them for a good few years.

You can see it being used on a live fire range in a video on the DF youtube page.

I've been told that in the future most members of each section on training exercises and overseas will be issued with an A2 mounted with an Elcan Spectre DR sight (different from the one in the video) while the rest will use the A1.

Non-infantry units (Artillery, Logs, Comms, etc) will continue to use the A1.

I've also been told that the A3 is a no go for general issue because of the cost and added weight. Plus the fact that accessories that could be mounted to the side rails (PEQ units, lights, grips etc) aren't on general issue anyways, so unless those accessories go on general issue then the A3 won't be considered because it isn't necessary.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    You're talking out your arse - it's the Bolt Release Catch and it releases the action forward following an IA.

Boll*x it is, I've been firing the Steyr for over 20 years, and there is no specific bolt release catch, when the action locks to the rear it is released by means of the the cocking handle. Try checking out who your talking to before you talk out of your arse!!

I may be wrong about the reason for the extra magazine release catch, and thats why I said AFAIK (As Far As I Know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Boll*x it is, I've been firing the Steyr for over 20 years, and there is no specific bolt release catch, when the action locks to the rear it is released by means of the the cocking handle. Try checking out who your talking to before you talk out of your arse!!

I may be wrong about the reason for the extra magazine release catch, and thats why I said AFAIK (As Far As I Know)

Actually he's correct. It is a bolt release catch.

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. That feature was taken from the M4/M16 design and added to the more recent Steyr AUG designs for the american market.

Also if you watch the official Steyr presentation video on the A3 SF you'll see the button being used after a magazine change to release the action without having to use the cocking handle.

amurph0 wrote: »

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. /QUOTE]

I'll get me coat!!:o
    I must be stuck in the past with the Irish version

The Steyr design has been around for so many years, it's inevitable that there are changes made in the design over the last few decades.

This, for example, is very definitely a bolt release.

Microtech_MSAR_STG556_AR_Mag_4.jpg

Whereas this...
    AUG_NATO_M16_STOCK_LAR3_ASF.jpg

is a magazine release.

The one on the A3 linked to in the earlier post is a bolt release.

Manual located here: http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/user/pdf/AUG_A3_SA_USA_Manual.pdf "Bolt Release Lever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

New housing with rail system and sight system will be the order of the day.

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. /QUOTE]

You're not alone. For those of us who remember the FN, IA's may just get more familiar again :)

No worries. I could have been a bit more diplomatic myself. Anyway, the A3 looks a good choice for the replacement.

Whereas this...
    AUG_NATO_M16_STOCK_LAR3_ASF.jpg

is a magazine release.
    Yep that's the one I was confusing it with, Manic, can you tell us what was the reasoning behind the fitting of these auxillary magazine catches? And are they state specific or country wide

• Advertisement

It's just your standard NATO stock. The STANAG magazines are held in place by a latch located on the side, so since they had to put the lever for the latch in there anyway, why not just extend the other side of the lever to make a second mag release button and thus more choices? The 'normal' mag release behind the mag has a connecting rod to activate the mag latch lever.

Advertisement