Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is atheism religion?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dead one wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78952980&postcount=827
    hence it is proved

Atheism is thus intrinsically an atheistic religion... they are also deeply committed to their religious beliefs.. Closing threads--- banning people.. These are clear proof.... It doesn't matter to what extent you may deny... ... Religion is a difficult thing to define... These people seem fail to defend their religious belief and at last.. The protectors and guardians of this religion has no choice except you know what i mean... Every action you do has a reason and I am here to explain all kind of these reason.. i am not a ordinary human.. I can see what you can't see... This is very exact purpose why i had posted this thread here... I knew what would happened in A&A foram..

Yes dead one, that thread was closed because atheism is a religion, nothing to do with the OP of that thread having at least one sock-puppeting account closed or poster after poster logging onto the A&A forum to jump in the thread after 10/15/20 pages of posts, to simply declare atheism a religion all the while ignoring every point in every other post explaining how clearly false a notion that is :rolleyes:.

There isn't a single point on that A&A thread, from those who claimed that atheism is a religion, that isn't debunked by the posts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78952980&postcount=827
    hence it is proved

Atheism is thus intrinsically an atheistic religion... they are also deeply committed to their religious beliefs.. Closing threads--- banning people.. These are clear proof.... It doesn't matter to what extent you may deny... ... Religion is a difficult thing to define... These people seem fail to defend their religious belief and at last.. The protectors and guardians of this religion has no choice except you know what i mean... Every action you do has a reason and I am here to explain all kind of these reason.. i am not a ordinary human.. I can see what you can't see... This is very exact purpose why i had posted this thread here... I knew what would happened in A&A foram..

Well a lot of it, maybe all at its heart, is not so much atheism as anti-Theism and so draws its emotional power not from disbelief but hatred of a God that deep down they know is there. The Bible instructs Christians not to argue with atheists though I realize that many Christians do not take this on board- it is still however wise advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well a lot of it, maybe all at its heart, is not so much atheism as anti-Theism and so draws its emotional power not from disbelief but hatred of a God that deep down they know is there..

stop making things up
    you believe, others don't

not to mention it's ALL the gods they don't believe in, not just your one

so it's as easy to say "you're only a monotheist because of your hatred of all the other deities you know deep down are there"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well a lot of it, maybe all at its heart, is not so much atheism as anti-Theism and so draws its emotional power not from disbelief but hatred of a God that deep down they know is there. The Bible instructs Christians not to argue with atheists though I realize that many Christians do not take this on board- it is still however wise advice.

I don't hate God, or any of those hundreds of other Gods.

How can I hate something I don't believe in and doesn't exist. It's like, hating Leprechauns, Fairies and Robert Pattinsons acting talents.

@deadone
    The thread was locked because the mods are tired of people coming along and asking a really really stupid question. No Atheism is not a religion, accept this simple fact. Yes, some people may be "militant" about it, but so can fishing enthusiasts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Yes dead one, that thread was closed because atheism is a religion, nothing to do with the OP of that thread having at least one sock-puppeting account closed or poster after poster logging onto the A&A forum to jump in the thread after 10/15/20 pages of posts, to simply declare atheism a religion all the while ignoring every point in every other post explaining how clearly false a notion that is :rolleyes:.

There isn't a single point on that A&A thread, from those who claimed that atheism is a religion, that isn't debunked by the posts in this thread.
    See your words, being an atheist, dont carry weight here... What carries weight is words of HamletOrHecuba.. Because his observation are neutral..... You are atheist and it's your priority to show atheism not as religion.. What do your words carry no weight ... Read this link..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias Because of your confirmatory bias why should we believe in you... Should we?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    stop making things up
    you believe, others don't

not to mention it's ALL the gods they don't believe in, not just your one

so it's as easy to say "you're only a monotheist because of your hatred of all the other deities you know deep down are there"
    You are making things up and stopping him... Wow... You want propagation of your doctrines/beliefs and stopping others.. Wow..
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't hate God, or any of those hundreds of other Gods.

How can I hate something I don't believe in and doesn't exist. It's like, hating Leprechauns, Fairies and Robert Pattinsons acting talents.
    You hate God not because it doesn't exist... you it because it goes against you belief of "infinite Chance"... The more powerful deity than religious Gods..
    @deadone
    The thread was locked because the mods are tired of people coming along and asking a really really stupid question. No Atheism is not a religion, accept this simple fact. Yes, some people may be "militant" about it, but so can fishing enthusiasts.
    The thread was locked because of bias... Majority of moderators in A&A are believer of atheism... So there is bias present in their mind... and you know it's natural Muslim moderator will try to defend his Islamic faith... Christian will try defend his faith... and atheist will try defend his faith... That's the reason people were banned, attacked, and thread is being closed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You are making things up and stopping him... Wow... You want propagation of your doctrines/beliefs and stopping others.. Wow..

You hate God not because it doesn't exist... you it because it goes against you belief of "infinite Chance"... The more powerful deity than religious Gods..
    Nope. I cannot hate something I don't believe in. To hate something means you acknowledge the existence of such. As I do not acknowledge the God or Gods that people believe in, I cannot hate them.
    It's like you saying you hate the Christian God. You don't believe in it, so you cannot hate it.

I may hate the bile and vicious bigoted hatred filled propaganda spewed by some of the believes of (some) sects of religious groups, but not the God they choose to believe in. Again, because I do not believe they exist, therefore cannot hate it.
    The thread was locked because of bias... Majority of moderators in A&A are believer of atheism... So there is bias present in their mind... and you know it's natural Muslim moderator will try to defend his Islamic faith... Christian will try defend his faith... and atheist will try defend his faith... That's the reason people were banned, attacked, and thread is being closed.....

tumblr_m3uaku3bpm1qilj9qo2_1280.png

See your words, being an atheist, dont carry weight here... What carries weight is words of HamletOrHecuba.. Because his observation are neutral..... You are atheist and it's your priority to show atheism not as religion.. What do your words carry no weight ... Read this link..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias Because of your confirmatory bias why should we believe in you... Should we?

Is that really the way you want to precede on this, dead one? You really want to call confirmational bias in a case where you clearly are only accepting the posts from those who support your own bias :rolleyes:.

Pointing out that confirmational bias is possible, is not the same as pointing out that it has happened. I gave the courtesy of finding posts which back up my claims, you have done no such thing. Why should anyone believe you, when you clearly have a confirmational bias for anything that can even remotely be twisted to support your "atheism is a religion" claim?

Or HamletOrHecuba is clearly just pulling claims about atheism from thin air with no evidence to back up.

"Infinite Chance"? More powerful deity that religious Gods? What in the name of all that is chocolaty are you talking about?
    The thread was locked because of bias...

Correct. No-one who posted in support of the "atheism is a religion" claim would engage in actual debate with people who contradicted that notion. They just declared their biases repeatedly, ignoring counterpoint after counterpoint. Kind of like you here, still towing the same "atheism is a religion" gibberish despite people on this thread debunking your claims in many different ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Dead one, I said to make this thread in the A&A forum because this is likely to be close in this forum (and rightfully so), as its got nothing to do with Islam.

EDIT: On the other hand, if the mods dont mind...

If you have a problem with being banned from A&A for arguing with a mod in thread, after being given a warning for posting gibberish, then maybe the feedback forum would be more appropriate then here?

If deadone is banned from a&a it would be a bit difficult to start a thread there:P

PS: Never thought Islam was this much fun!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

I would say atheism is more a cult* of God and religion haters.

I believe in God but I don't belong to a religion, I believe in the same God as Abraham so I take a little from Islam/Christianity/Judaism.

*cult: a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. Dictionary.com

Nope. I cannot hate something I don't believe in. To hate something means you acknowledge the existence of such. As I do not acknowledge the God or Gods that people believe in, I cannot hate them.
    It's like you saying you hate the Christian God. You don't believe in it, so you cannot hate it.
    Can i see your hate... Where is evidence for you above quote. Why should I believe in you. Your words don't carry weight they are hollow as hollow-men.
    I do not believe they exist, therefore cannot hate it.
    to hate something, beliefs doesn't matter. So i don't believe in you as I can't see you. If I say I hate dinosaurs ... It doesn't mean i don't believe or believe in their existence.. It means I am hating them in my imagination and I know what figments your wasted imagination has created. It's philosophy sonic2k and I worry you may not understand what i've tried to explain.
    you don't say
    I am the only person here who has all right to say this because of my repuation

Is that really the way you want to precede on this, dead one? You really want to call confirmational bias in a case where you clearly are only accepting the posts from those who support your own bias :rolleyes:.
    See.I am bias free freak because i have nothing personal in this matter. See if athiesm is religion, how it is going to benefit me, on the other hand, if it is not then i won't get anything from it .. you people (atheists) are very personal in proving that atheism is not religion. That's the reason why I brought confirmation bias here. It is your priority to prove atheism isn't religion and you have done what must be done to make it religion. Closing thread, threatening people, banning people, attacking people.. All these things are enough to prove atheism is a religion and you're it follower... You are worse in your attitude than the religious folks. So you are more extremist... I thank Dades, he has helped me a lot in proving my points..
    . Why should anyone believe you, when you clearly have a confirmational bias for anything that can even remotely be twisted to support your "atheism is a religion" claim?
    See I believe in evidence, I was here to learn that atheism is not religion when I got threaten/banned by atheists... So now If i believe athiesm is religion it is only because you. It isn't because of my confirmation bias as i don't have any theory... It's you attitude which has made atheism religion. In defence of your religion i became victim of your bigotry and prejudice.. Thanks for the dades telling true face their religion..

Or HamletOrHecuba is clearly just pulling claims about atheism from thin air with no evidence to back up.
    Ah, Atheists of all stripes call for evidence. One should not believe anything without evidence for the thing. The cry for evidence is the primary premise for Atheism. But when evidence appears they start denying it. I think the call for evidence has become a circular reasoning. As we know, the denial of evidence has become your faith and you very committed to it... You don't want to lose your faith...
    "Infinite Chance"? More powerful deity that religious Gods? What in the name of all that is chocolaty are you talking about?
    Theory of evolution the creation theory for religion of atheism, Infinite chance, Infinite injustice
    Correct. No-one who posted in support of the "atheism is a religion" claim would engage in actual debate with people who contradicted that notion. They just declared their biases repeatedly, ignoring counterpoint after counterpoint. Kind of like you here, still towing the same "atheism is a religion" gibberish despite people on this thread debunking your claims in many different ways.
    Correct, no-one has done nothing but your (atheist) attitude/bigotry has made it religion.

stuar wrote: »
    If deadone is banned from a&a it would be a bit difficult to start a thread there:P
    PS: Never thought Islam was this much fun!
    stuar, you know even if i had started a thread, i would be threaten by guardian of this religion. They have taken oath to protect it. Mark Hamil knows it very well. and now i have been thrown out of their holly lands because of my infidelity..

It would be easier if he stopped getting himself banned for posting gibberish.

I would say atheism is more a cult* of God and religion haters.

*cult: a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. Dictionary.com

By your own definition you are wrong. Atheism is a group of people who do not believe in god. That's it. There is no inherent veneration of the non belief, or of an individual or group that proposes the non belief. Atheists can venerate people, or the idea itself (just like, say, football supporters can venerate their team, or the idea of football being the greatest sport) but that doesn't mean atheism (football) is itself a cult.

This has been explained in this thread already, did you not read any of the preceding posts before yours?

See.I am bias free freak because i have nothing personal in this matter. See if athiesm is religion, how it is going to benefit me, on the other hand, if it is not then i won't get anything from it .. you people (atheists) are very personal in proving that atheism is not religion. That's the reason why I brought confirmation bias here. It is your priority to prove atheism isn't religion and you have done what must be done to make it religion.

Of course you have bias towards atheism being a religion, if atheism is a religion, then you get to turn around all the instances of atheists pointing out the dangers and damages of religions in general. You get to call us hypocrites.
    Of course, this is a "you are as bad as we are, therefore we are better than you" argument, but I only claimed you were being biased, not rational.
    Closing thread, threatening people, banning people, attacking people.. All these things are enough to prove atheism is a religion and you're it follower... You are worse in your attitude than the religious folks. So you are more extremist... I thank Dades, he has helped me a lot in proving my points..

I already explained why the thread was closed. Do you really so lack conviction that you wont engage my reasons for the closure of the thread.
    See I believe in evidence, I was here to learn that atheism is not religion when I got threaten/banned by atheists... So now If i believe athiesm is religion it is only because you. It isn't because of my confirmation bias as i don't have any theory... It's you attitude which has made atheism religion. In defence of your religion i became victim of your bigotry and prejudice.. Thanks for the dades telling true face their religion..

You got banned in that thread for telling someone to "piss off" and that you didn't have "time for clowns" like them. Your first post in that thread, by the way, made a declaration which you defended by claiming it to be deep and that people shouldn't quote you if they didn't have the wisdom to understand it. Your posting history makes it quite clear that you weren't in that thread to learn anything, or to debate evidence.

Ah, Atheists of all stripes call for evidence. One should not believe anything without evidence for the thing. The cry for evidence is the primary premise for Atheism. But when evidence appears they start denying it. I think the call for evidence has become a circular reasoning. As we know, the denial of evidence has become your faith and you very committed to it... You don't want to lose your faith...

Oh look, dead one makes a claim and does not back it up with anything. How unusual. I love how you try and turn the most rational and sensible thing anyone can do into something irrational based on pure assertion. Its hilarious. Calling for evidence is a primary defence against bullsh*t.
    Theory of evolution the creation theory for religion of atheism, Infinite chance, Infinite injustice

How can anyone get so much wrong about what is a fairly simple concept? Theory of evolution =/= theory of creation (abiogenesis). They are two entirely different theories, one could happen entirely without the other. There is no "infinite chance" in evolution, because there is no infinite number of actions. And where does injustice come into a naturally occurring phenomena? Is rain injust?
    Correct, no-one has done nothing but your (atheist) attitude/bigotry has made it religion.

Again with the lack of conviction in your posts. I explained my post in my response, can you not do the same. You know, your complete inability to back up anything you say beyond asserting it, makes me think you don't really believe any of it at all. But you would hardly keep harping on about something you didn't actually believe in, would you?

It would be easier if he stopped getting himself banned for posting gibberish.
    why should I, When their bigotry was quite clear.. That's my boldness, See I am not a flatterer as you are. I sacrificed my ID in the foram against injustice, cruelty and tyranny... I stood in their way. It was not only me, JC also became victim of their pride and prejudice. ...they ARE bigots, in their arrogance and i became their victim... Its a deadly trap... my id was crucified at the altar of their bigotry... How lucky am i.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

hivizman wrote: »
    In my moderator's capacity, I feel it necessary to mention that I do not consider it appropriate for a discussion of the actions of moderators on another forum to be debated here. On the other hand, I would be prepared to tolerate a discussion of the general question of whether atheism is a religion, particularly if this is addressed from an Islamic perspective.

I posted the above as long ago as 15 February 2012. Unfortunately, we seem to have gone back to debating what happened on another forum. The question posed by the thread has been clearly answered - on any standard meaning of the word "religion", atheism cannot qualify as a religion. As Mark Hamill has reminded us in his post at 11:38 today, even if some atheists fervently defend their views and fervently deny those of theists, this does not apply to atheism as a concept.

Some of the postings in this thread are quite frankly embarrassing. Because I participated in the earlier debate, I feel uneasy about exercising the moderator's ability to close the thread down, but maybe one of the other moderators will be prepared to intervene.

why should I, When their bigotry was quite clear.. That's my boldness, See I am not a flatterer as you are. I sacrificed my ID in the foram against injustice, cruelty and tyranny... I stood in their way. It was not only me, JC also became victim of their pride and prejudice. ...they ARE bigots, in their arrogance and i became their victim... Its a deadly trap... my id was crucified at the altar of their bigotry... How lucky am i.....

----> Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

And on that good pointer to ======> Feedback, I am closing this thread.
    Its going nowhere productive,
    Asia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement