Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Spare Wheel Question

• 26-03-2007 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Do you actually need a spare wheel for your NCT? I think i read you dont have to have one?

I currently dont have one but plan on getting one next week, but the NCT is this week?

Is it essential to have one for the NCT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Some cars don't come with them any more.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Do you actually need a spare wheel for your NCT? I think i read you dont have to have one?

I currently dont have one but plan on getting one next week, but the NCT is this week?

Is it essential to have one for the NCT?

Yes. http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭poppers

I go a puntcure on the way to do the NCT. I said nothing about changing the wheel and Passed the nct so i dont know if they even looked at the spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye i hear a lot of new cars dont come with a spare wheel hence my thinking that i may not need to get one this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I would suspect that you need run flats to get away with no spare wheel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Spare wheel not needed for the NCT unless it's a taxi.

Spare wheel well/holder will be examined if present.

If the spare itself is present they may examine it for legality although I'm not sure about that.

I always take the spare out before NCT test to save weight for the brake efficiency test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Excellant thats the answer i wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tc20

BrianD3 wrote:
    I always take the spare out before NCT test to save weight for the brake efficiency test.

2 questions for you BrianD3 -
    what if you get a puncture on the way to/from NCT centre?

and, more importantly, during normal driving i would take it that you carry the spare. So, what if your car needs attention to the brakes, is that extra 20kg gonna make much difference?
    Just curious as to why you would do this.

I would have thought (tho' im open to correction) that if the vehicle is fitted with a spare tyre, it must be present for the test. Im aware certain newer cars have run-flats (new MINI for one) and no spare. Similarly, cars which did not have rear seatbelts fitted when manufactured/rear fog lamps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

tc20 wrote:
    2 questions for you BrianD3 -
    what if you get a puncture on the way to/from NCT centre?
    That's a chance you take. If you take out the spare for 1 day every 2 years you'd be pretty unlucky to get a puncture on that very day.
    and, more importantly, during normal driving i would take it that you carry the spare. So, what if your car needs attention to the brakes, is that extra 20kg gonna make much difference?
    Just curious as to why you would do this.
    I have brought cars to the NCT which had brake efficiency around 59-60% which isn't that much above the 55% limit. The parking brake limit is 16% and again some cars can be marginal on this. If the NCTS do indeed use the measured weight for the brake calculation (and I'm not certain if they do) then a light car with no spare, a near empty fuel tank and a slim NCT tester could pass the test when a more laden car would fail. BTW I am not advocating people driving around with dangerous brakes just putting this info out there. I wouldn't consider a car that has failed the NCT parking brake test by 1% as being dangerous anyway.
    I would have thought (tho' im open to correction) that if the vehicle is fitted with a spare tyre, it must be present for the test. Im aware certain newer cars have run-flats (new MINI for one) and no spare. Similarly, cars which did not have rear seatbelts fitted when manufactured/rear fog lamps etc
    I'm 100% sure that the spare is not being needed even in cars that originally did have one and don't have runflats. Reversing lights and foglights are also not part of the test even if originally fitted and subsequently broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tc20

@ BrianD3 - ok, cool.
    I guess a lot of us have scraped thru NCTs, or have bemoaned the fact that we failed by the slightest margin. Its upto the individual to take remedial action if the car just scrapes through - similarly with the ludicrously low legal tyre thread depth of 1.6mm. Personally i wouldnt let my tyres get anywhere near that low.
    Interesting that you mention reverse & foglights not being tested - an oversight by the powers that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A spare wheel is not a mandatory requirement in Ireland under Road Traffic Regulations (for private cars).

If you submit your car for an NCT with a spare wheel they will check it for quality, thread depth etc.

If you remove it beforehand, it does not form part of the test.

I'm open to correction on this but I think that if your car has an underbody sparewheel cradle, they check the cradle to make sure it's secure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have a look at page 56 /section 40 of the NCT manual (http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf) - there is no reference to the quality of the spare wheel/tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:
    Have a look at page 56 /section 40 of the NCT manual (http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf) - there is no reference to the quality of the spare wheel/tyre
    Yes, you're correct kbannon although, in Section 36, it does say that the owner should be advised if there is a defect on the spare tyre. ;)

TYRE CONDITION

Method of Testing

1. Check whether the tyre tread appears to have been recut.
    2. Check visually that the tyre is correctly seated on the wheel rim.
    3. Examine the tyre for:
    (a) any cut or break in the fabric.
    (b) any lump or bulge.
    (c) any exposure of the ply or cord structure.
    4. Examine the valve stem for distortion or chafing.
    NOTES:
    (a) It will not always be possible to see the complete tyre from ground level, especially on vehicles where the body
    shrouds part of the tyre. In such cases the vehicle should be moved to expose the hidden parts of tyres, or the
    examination should be completed from a position under the vehicle with the wheel in the raised position.
    (b) Examination is confined to tyres fitted to the road wheels.
    If, however, any defect on a tyre carried on a spare wheel is seen, the driver should be advised.
    (c) Tyres designed for recutting or regrooving will normally be marked as regroovable.
    (d) The evidence of any tyre wear or damage in the full lock and full suspension bounce conditions should be noted
    when making the ratings above (see also reason for failure No. 29 page 61).

Advertisement