Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

Last wrote: »
    One option is to add a second receiver that has diseqc capability. Swop the existing lnb for a twin and install a ka band lnb offset by 19 degrees. Feed one output of twin lnb to existing system and use this as normal to drive the motor. Connect the new receiver via diseqc switch to 2nd output of twin and Ka band.
    If you cannot get the 19 degrees offset needed to view both 28 and 9 without moving the motor then set it where ever you can, say for example at 7 degrees offset and just remember to move your motorised dish to 16 degrees in order to view saorsat.
    Not the ideal solution but possibly a much cheaper one.

That I think is the line that I will follow first. It looks the easiest to prove one way or the other. Ideally a twin LNB, one KA and the other a Universal outlet. Although I suspect that might not yet be available.

Thanks again to all. I have a number of fall-back options available as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

188619.jpg

Above is the image I created a while ago based on dishpointer's info. There was some questions as to whether the spots were accurately placed when compared to Eutelsat's own original maps, however my map has proved very accurate, in reality on the ground.

I started comparing to tooways own "colour" recommending tool.

http://finder.tooway-instal.com/fixe/pages/index.html

Using the above tool you can find the most recommended spot (colour) for your location.

By clicking all over the map you can find where one colour starts to be recommended and another stops. THIS DOES NOT SHOW COVERAGE. It simply gives you an indication of which spot is stronger. For coverage we need to compare the actual spots (which this does not give) and compare the interference from other spots of the same colour.

So I think my first image above gives the best information.

However, assuming dishpointer cannot be trusted, I attempted to glean as much information from tooway's site on what the coverage is.

HERE IS MY NEWEST MAP:
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tdr/map.htm

Is is interactive and you can zoom in etc.
    If you click on the + in the top right you can remove spots etc.

If the above link does not work for you, photos of the above map are here:
    http://imgur.com/a/fVpfJ

such as:
    194931.jpg

THE MAIN FLAW WITH THIS PLAN IS THAT WHERE COLOURS MEET THE MAP GIVES A STRIAGHT LINE. This is not ideal. However from the curvey lines in south west Ireland, and north east scotland, you can get an idea of spot shape and size

Our main interest is the Irish spot and east scottish spot. This affects coverage in the Isle of man and north wales etc.

So basic summary:
    I still think there will be coverage in all of the North of Ireland, despite this map.

I must give a big thank you to the guys from http://www.tog.ie that helped me with this. Without them I couldn't have managed it. They performed all the data crunching and geo mapping and made it interactive. It was a team effort with no one person managing it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

i know its still testing but - i'm in newtownabbey with an inverto ka lnb on a triax td78 - for weeks it has been perfect - even when raing heavily and as im using a spiderbox i'm getting 80% signal 44% quality - (that means nothing ) however im watching right now an it breaking up quite a bit rte jr just has a test page up and i'm getting random signal drop outs - i take it its just still testing? it this happening anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

no breakup here in clare but just a test card on rte jr, q is 24% best i get is 44q but it seems to retain pic even at 0 q!! spider as well.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

I am 5 miles from Larne and using a Spiderbox 7000HD with a Lenson Heath 80 cm dish and Inverto LNB. At best Signal 90% and Quality 56% on Saorsat. Quality varies quite a bit even with a clear sky. I have only been watching the tests over the past couple of days but haven't had any loss of picture although quality has dropped to 24% when raining. Spiderbox would normally loose picture when quality drops below 34% as happens here sometimes on Badr 4 @ 26 E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The amount of "quality" needed depends on the FEC. For example feeds may use 7/8 and thus use less spectrum. But big dishes needed, quality needs to be very high. Saorsat is using 1/2, very high errors is possible to be corrected, i.e. low quality. More common signals are 3/4 or 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    This from the latest RTÉNL-Saorview FAQ rev.6 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76732189#post76732189
    RTÉNL has been transmitting test signals on this new satellite service since December 2011. RTÉNL expects the channel line up to be confirmed, and the SAORSAT service to be formally live, in February or March of 2012. Suitable consumer equipment (Set-Top-Boxes and dishes) will be available in retailers by this time.

Short piece on this in Broadband TV News today

The first RTÉNL SAORSAT FAQs now available - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RTÉNL-SAORSAT-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-1.0.pdf

Saorsat weblink not active yet (still linking to the main Saorview site) - http://www.saorsat.ie/

Missing from the FAQ are the satellite tuning details - frequency, SR, FEC etc.
    3.1 When Will SAORSAT Be Available?

SAORSAT is available now.

No TV3 or TG4
    4.3 When Will More Services Be Added To SAORSAT?

This is a question for the television and radio service content providers / broadcasters rather than SAORSAT or RTÉNL.

Capacity is available on the SAORSAT platform carry a number of additional services.

RTÉNL will be happy to facilitate any content provider / broadcaster that seek carriage on SAORSAT on a Fair Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory basis.
    7.3 How Big Dose My Dish Have To Be?

See the map below. RTÉNL recommend a standard 80 cm dish in the green areas and a standard 100 cm dish in the shaded areas . In many situations smaller high performance or Ka specific dishes can be used, talk to you local installer.

3129xcy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guess they do not have proof readers , at least one spelling mistake on there.

"7.3 How Big Dose My Dish Have To Be?"

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Tony wrote: »

Also mixing up their Saorview and Saorsats...

4. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SAORVIEW FOR ME?

4.1 What Are The Benefits Of SAORSAT For Me?
    4.2 What Services Are On SAORSAT?
    4.3 When Will There Be More Services Added To SAORSAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

No problem just
    talk to you local installer.
    and he will fix it! :)

• Advertisement

150 pages and we may have an official launch!

Shame about no TG4 nor TV3 nor 3E. People moan about TV3 not being on the service, not it's time to complain as Gaeilge.

Thanks to the Cush for that link to the PDF. It seems to have answered some questions.

Regarding the Triax TSC114 being Saorsat approved the discussion is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77536131#post77536131

This seems to conflict with triax's own unveiling of a Sat only box with a blue display and no model number a few weeks ago. This sat only box may be approved in the future.
    It also conflicts with the Walker Sat only box for sale in powercity and online. Hopefully both of these will be approved in the future.

Regarding dish size for Saorsat only, their coverage map does not seem to match any of mine. Also the north is totally missing, very strange.

Regarding the dual feed with 28.2 it doesn't make sense to me how it can work with the setup they claim Something is not right
    See my post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77536577#post77536577

Another rumour I heard was Tommy is going to dye his tail for the paddy's day launch ;)

196010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Would this setup work? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-Saorsat-Free-Air-Satellite-KIT-TRIAX-TD78-78cm-Dish-/150769192143?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item231a8b4ccf#ht_959wt_952
    78cm TRIAX TD Satellite Dish
    25cm Wall mount
    Inverto Twin KA Band HD Ready LNB Saorsat Compatible
    4 Fixing bolts and plugs
    GT DiSEqC 2.0 2x1 switch
    Golden Media Universal Single LNB 0.1 db FULL HD 3D Ready
    Triax TD Multiblock LNB Holder for 4 LND
    20m RG6 Coax Cable
    10 f-connectors

Price seems ok at €98.98

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I am 5 miles from Larne and using a Spiderbox 7000HD with a Lenson Heath 80 cm dish and Inverto LNB. At best Signal 90% and Quality 56% on Saorsat. Quality varies quite a bit even with a clear sky. I have only been watching the tests over the past couple of days but haven't had any loss of picture although quality has dropped to 24% when raining. Spiderbox would normally loose picture when quality drops below 34% as happens here sometimes on Badr 4 @ 26 E.

i know its still testing but - i'm in newtownabbey with an inverto ka lnb on a triax td78 - for weeks it has been perfect - even when raing heavily and as im using a spiderbox i'm getting 80% signal 44% quality - (that means nothing ) however im watching right now an it breaking up quite a bit rte jr just has a test page up and i'm getting random signal drop outs - i take it its just still testing? it this happening anywhere else?

Sounds as if it's going to be crap in the North, especially in areas such as north and east Antrim.

RogerThis wrote: »

>78cm TRIAX TD Satellite Dish

As I have linked to, dish size depends on where you live. For Saorsat the info we have are dark green and light green areas need a different dish size. For 28.2 dishes also need to be bigger in south west. So it depends. Also read my link to picking up Saorsat and 28.2 on one dish. This is a better thread to ask questions.

>25cm Wall mount

The dish is 80cm in diameter. Thus 40cm in radius approx. If you need to mount your dish at an angle then a 25cm wall mount may not move the dish out from the wall enough. When you turn the dish to point south it may bang off the wall.

>Inverto Twin KA Band HD Ready LNB Saorsat Compatible
    This should be fine

>4 Fixing bolts and plugs
    This should be fine but proper rawlbolts would be better.

>GT DiSEqC 2.0 2x1 switch
    This is fine for one receiver with single tuner.

>Golden Media Universal Single LNB 0.1 db FULL HD 3D Ready
    This is worth about 5 euro. Fine for single receiver, but I would recommend a quad LNB for later upgrading.

>Triax TD Multiblock LNB Holder for 4 LNB
    This should be fine

>20m RG6 Coax Cable
    Depends on distance. You will lose 4m with connections to switch and LNB's

>10 f-connectors
    Ok

You also need a HD sat box. If you can wait then better boxes will come on the market shortly. Also setting up two LNBs without a meter will be difficult for hobbiest. If you are unable to install yourself you may get better value buying through an installer

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

Sounds as if it's going to be crap in the North, especially in areas such as north and east Antrim.

Signal may increase by 7dB once testing is complete, however for much of the north the RTENL dark green/light green map seems to suggest an 80cm for some parts and a 1M for more north east parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

>78cm TRIAX TD Satellite Dish

As I have linked to, dish size depends on where you live. For Saorsat the info we have are dark green and light green areas need a different dish size. For 28.2 dishes also need to be bigger in south west. So it depends. Also read my link to picking up Saorsat and 28.2 on one dish. This is a better thread to ask questions.

I live near Castlebar, so this dish should do

>25cm Wall mount

The dish is 80cm in diameter. Thus 40cm in radius approx. If you need to mount your dish at an angle then a 25cm wall mount may not move the dish out from the wall enough. When you turn the dish to point south it may bang off the wall.

The back of my house faces south, so i'm ok

>Inverto Twin KA Band HD Ready LNB Saorsat Compatible
    This should be fine

Thanks

>4 Fixing bolts and plugs
    This should be fine but proper rawlbolts would be better.

Will buy better bolts

>GT DiSEqC 2.0 2x1 switch
    This is fine for one receiver with single tuner.

Will need more of these

>Golden Media Universal Single LNB 0.1 db FULL HD 3D Ready
    This is worth about 5 euro. Fine for single receiver, but I would recommend a quad LNB for later upgrading.

I have a quad on my motor dish, so it will be a straight swap between them

>Triax TD Multiblock LNB Holder for 4 LNB
    This should be fine

Thanks

>20m RG6 Coax Cable
    Depends on distance. You will lose 4m with connections to switch and LNB's

Going to my attic for connecting, if I need more I'll buy more

>10 f-connectors
    Ok

Thanks

You also need a HD sat box. If you can wait then better boxes will come on the market shortly. Also setting up two LNBs without a meter will be difficult for hobbiest. If you are unable to install yourself you may get better value buying through an installer

I have a vu+ duo, with a quad sky dish and a 1.1m motor dish. I will be replacing the sky dish with the Triax. I installed a motor by myself and found the meter a waste of time. I have a sundtek usb for terrestrial but it crashes the box, so I want go for saorsat. It's ordered now, so weekend I'll have some fun setting it up :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation zg3409, you're a gent.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Signal may increase by 7dB once testing is complete, however for much of the north the RTENL dark green/light green map seems to suggest an 80cm for some parts and a 1M for more north east parts.

I dont intend to increase dish size from present 80cm. I have only been watching tests since last Monday and so far picture has been ok despite quality levels on Spiderbox well down in comparison with 28E. Although signal has coped with sleet showers and mist there hasnt been very heavy rain to do a proper check. 7db increase in power would be good.

Claremont Carn may be an option here after analogue shutdown as DTT might cope better with co-channel interference from Whitehead also on C52 & C56 which presently makes RTE1 & 2 unwatchable. I understand RTE may also be available from Divis after changeover, but hope more channels would be available from Saorview or Saorsat.

bigVee wrote: »
    I understand RTE may also be available from Divis after changeover,

Not Divis.

NI Mini-Mux Sites
    1. Brougher Mountain (1kW ERP)
    2. Black Mountain (Max 2kW ERP – min 1kW ERP); and
    3. Carnmoney Hill (16W ERP).

Not Divis.

NI Mini-Mux Sites
    1. Brougher Mountain (1kW ERP)
    2. Black Mountain (Max 2kW ERP – min 1kW ERP); and
    3. Carnmoney Hill (16W ERP).

Thanks for info. Black Mountain would work here ok.

It's probable that TG4 will join Saorsat, but unlikely TV3 &3E.

I'd wait for:
    a) Ver 2.x of the Saorsat FAQ
    b) RTE/Saorview official announcement.

I get the impression RTE don't want the general public to use Saorsat unless there is absolutely no alternative. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    I get the impression RTE don't want the general public to use Saorsat unless there is absolutely no alternative. I could be wrong.

That's basically what they've said
    However, it is unlikely that the SAORSAT service will carry as many channels as SAORVIEW and for that reason, wherever possible SAORVIEW should be the preferred option.

SAORVIEW advises speaking to a competent local aerial installer about your all your options for getting SAORVIEW before choosing SAORSAT.

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/saorsat/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

once we get tg4 on saorsat we are flying, i dont watch 3 or 3e unless its a last resort ie the odd gaa game not on elsewhere.

i think pic quality in saorsat is better but sound is better on saorview.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

zg3409 wrote: »

Indeed, that's what I would have thought.

To be honest, I would imagine most people up here that can't get either Saorview or the NIMM will simply put up with the Sky/Virgin subscription service.

Can't see too many Satellite dealers offering Saorsat intsallation in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    once we get tg4 on saorsat we are flying, i dont watch 3 or 3e unless its a last resort ie the odd gaa game not on elsewhere.

i think pic quality in saorsat is better but sound is better on saorview.

gbc

Is there much of a difference in pcture and audio quality between saorsat and saorview? Are we able to fully compare as of yet may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Indeed, that's what I would have thought.

To be honest, I would imagine most people up here that can't get either Saorview or the NIMM will simply put up with the Sky/Virgin subscription service.

Can't see too many Satellite dealers offering Saorsat intsallation in NI.
    Depends really - if you're in a location outside the planned 90% of northern viewers who should be able to get Saorview directly or via the minmux (and it could be higher than 90% if installations in some places are given special attention), it seems from looking at the map that a line running roughly from Strabane to just south of Belfast, south of this should see an 80cm dish work, with 100cm plus above it, and could be changed if the power becomes increased. I'm not sure if an 80cm dish focused on Ka-Sat and an offset for 28.2/5 east for Freesat could be adequately bridged, I'll leave that to those more knowledgeable, but if it can it may prove useful for those who can't get Saorview or minmux, and can't get the full Freeview service. There is the disadvantage in the 100cm zone that planning permission may be needed for such a set up.

In any case I'd say they'll be very few people who have access to Virgin cable that won't be able to receive either Saorview or the minmux while in places where RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TG4 (hopefully) are reliant on Sky subscriptions currently and where Saorview/minmux are unlikely to reach it could be worth considering - I'm sure there's a few pubs in the Glens that wouldn't mind showing hurling games on RTÉ2 and TG4 without paying Sky's commercial rates for it if they're not too bothered about English soccer.

Is there much of a difference in pcture and audio quality between saorsat and saorview? Are we able to fully compare as of yet may i ask?

I can't see why it would not be identical. Cost more to make them different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Using just the mark 1 eyeball, I can't see any noticeable difference.

givecredit wrote: »
    Also mixing up their Saorview and Saorsats...

4. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SAORVIEW FOR ME?

4.1 What Are The Benefits Of SAORSAT For Me?
    4.2 What Services Are On SAORSAT?
    4.3 When Will There Be More Services Added To SAORSAT?

They may not have proof readers but they do read the posts here, Rev 1.1 of the Saorsat FAQ up on Mon, the above mistakes corrected - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RTÉNL-SAORSAT-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-1.1.pdf

They may not have proof readers but they do read the posts here, Rev 1.1 of the Saorsat FAQ up on Mon, the above mistakes corrected - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RTÉNL-SAORSAT-FAQs-Mar-2012-Rev-1.1.pdf[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Hopefully they will also know an increase in power would be a big help in the north east in areas where apart from Saorsat the only solution for RTE would be via a Sky subscription. Not many will opt for a 100 cm dish for FTA. I hope the 7db increase upon completion of tests is still proposed.

• Advertisement

Eutelsat Press Release
    PR/16/12

RTÉ Ireland chooses Eutelsat’s KA-SAT for its ‘SAORSAT’ free to air digital service

The SAORSAT FTA service uses the KA-SAT Irish beam
    Dublin, Paris, 13 March 2012 – Ireland’s national broadcaster, RTÉ, has chosen Eutelsat’s KA-SAT for its unique satellite based approach to ensure that all homes in the Irish Republic will be able to benefit from free digital reception of the RTÉ public service television and radio channels.

In March of this year, and to complement its SAORVIEW terrestrial service, RTÉ is switching on a new digital satellite service which will provide service cover to the 1 to 2 percent of households which are beyond range of terrestrial DTT reception.

Working closely with Eutelsat, RTÉNL has selected the service area of KA-SAT which is dedicated exclusively to the island of Ireland. The service will broadcast RTÉ’s five television channels RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ junior and RTÉ One +1 and ten radio stations. Eutelsat and RTÉNL have ensured that should any other broadcaster wish carriage provision, additional capacity on SAORSAT will be available for this future expansion.

For RTÉ, the combined offering of SAORVIEW and SAORSAT is the only effective solution for achieving one hundred percent national coverage of the RTÉ free-to-air public television and radio services; additionally the KA-SAT solution carries the benefit of providing full national back-up cover in the event of an emergency or a catastrophic failure of the terrestrial network.

To receive SAORSAT viewers will need a satellite dish equipped with a Ka-band LNB and a DVB-S2 set top box. The one-off cost should be within the region of €200 with equipment available from the majority of Irish retail outlets.

Des Mac Giolla an Chloig, Ceannaire Digiteach (Head of Digital) RTÉNL, said: “The extremely close co-operation between Eutelsat and RTÉNL during the KA-SAT project enabled the teams to tailor a bespoke engineering solution, which presents RTÉ with a unique opportunity to extend the cover of its public service channels to all of the population on a free to air basis for the first time.”

Michel de Rosen, CEO of Eutelsat, responded: “The integration by RTÉNL of the KA-SAT platform into its digital broadcast network is further evidence of how our new satellite is contributing to Europe’s digital infrastructure. We are delighted that KA-SAT’s service area and performance ticks all the boxes for RTÉNL and RTÉ, enabling the transmission authority and the broadcaster to put in place an efficient solution for ensuring nationwide access to free to air Irish digital.”

About Eutelsat Communications
    Eutelsat Communications (Euronext Paris: ETL, ISIN code: FR0010221234) is the holding company of Eutelsat S.A.. With capacity commercialised on 28 satellites that provide coverage over the entire European continent, as well as the Middle East, Africa, India and significant parts of Asia and the Americas, Eutelsat is one of the world's three leading satellite operators in terms of revenues. As of 31 December 2011, Eutelsat’s satellites were broadcasting more than 4,150 television channels. More than 1,100 channels are broadcast via its HOT BIRD video neighbourhood at 13 degrees East alone which serves over 120 million cable and satellite homes in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The Group’s satellites also serve a wide range of fixed and mobile telecommunications services, TV contribution markets, corporate networks, and broadband markets for Internet Service Providers and for transport, maritime and in-flight markets. Eutelsat's broadband subsidiary, Skylogic, markets and operates access to high speed internet services through teleports in France and Italy that serve enterprises, local communities, government agencies and aid organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas. Headquartered in Paris, Eutelsat and its subsidiaries employ just over 700 commercial, technical and operational professionals from 30 countries.

www.eutelsat.com

For further information

Press

Vanessa O’Connor
    Tel. : + 33 1 53 98 37 91
    voconnor@eutelsat.fr

Frédérique Gautier
    Tel. : + 33 1 53 98 37 91
    fgautier@eutelsat.fr

Investors and analysts

Lisa Finas
    Tel. : +33 1 53 98 35 30
    investors@eutelsat-communications.com

Léonard Wapler
    Tel. : +33 1 53 98 31 07
    investors@eutelsat-communications

http://www.eutelsat.com/news/compress/en/2012/html/PR%201612%20Saorsat/PR%201612%20Saorsat.html

Some news reports on Saorsat today

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/2012031320540/eutelsats-ka-sat-to-boost-saorsat-free-to-air-service-in-ireland.html
    http://www.telecompaper.com/news/eutelsat-supports-launch-of-rte-saorsat-digital-tv-service
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2012/03/13/rte-opts-for-eutelsat-solution/
    http://www.digitaltveurope.net/21947/rte-to-use-ka-sat-for-new-saorsat-platform/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement