Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code

• 02-05-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

So gents need some opinions,im 25y old and my wardrobe is mostly full of tracksuits (nike,adidas reebok mostly),i have couple pairs of jeans but for the sake of god i hate wearing them for more then few hours,mostly because they are uncomfortable,hard material and never head a pair that would look ok on me,im normal build but small in height,i got couple of shirts and jumpers when going to club that i really like,but still i would never wear them at home or when going shopping etc.So the question is is it a low style to wear track suit most of the time (im sporty looking fella) and clothes are highest quality not likes of the pennys,dunnes, or socks in the trousers style pants type looking :] .So should i start changing the way i dress or is is completely normal so far ?I do like some clothing from jack and jones and such brands,but 99% teens in clubs or outside look nearly the same.BTW im from eastern europe so maybe thats in my blood :D,and so how do you dress or used to dress at age of 20-25.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone. If jeans are too hard on your skin, try something like the soft chinos you can get now.

Anyway, here's a good blog post on dressing in your 20's. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

scamalert wrote: »
    So gents need some opinions,im 25y old and my wardrobe is mostly full of tracksuits (nike,adidas reebok mostly),i have couple pairs of jeans but for the sake of god i hate wearing them for more then few hours,mostly because they are uncomfortable,hard material and never head a pair that would look ok on me,im normal build but small in height,i got couple of shirts and jumpers when going to club that i really like,but still i would never wear them at home or when going shopping etc.So the question is is it a low style to wear track suit most of the time (im sporty looking fella) and clothes are highest quality not likes of the pennys,dunnes, or socks in the trousers style pants type looking :] .

Just like light beer, polyester is the invention of the Anti-Christ. Firstly do you have a decent wool suit, cotton shirt and silk tie and leather shoes for fomal events?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ladhrann wrote: »
    Just like light beer, polyester is the invention of the Anti-Christ. Firstly do you have a decent wool suit, cotton shirt and silk tie and leather shoes for fomal events?
    dont have suit the rest yeah proper leather shoes and nice cotton shirt.for the poster with the link most of the pics ive seen in the site look like twilight fans style :cool: its just the feeling of tightness that irritates me.I do wear shirt and proper cotton trousers every day for work but the minute im in the house the clothes are of my body,its sorta the feeling of freedom that sportswear gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone.

Harsh.
    Tracksuits serve a purpose and suit plenty of people imo. Depends on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

How I dress personaly:
    Plain V-Neck t-shirts-White/Black/Navy Blue/Purple- I get them from H&M and Topman, mainly H&M
    Jeans-I only ever wear jeans, I like Hollister jeans but theres good ones as well in River Island and the likes if you look.
    Cardigan-I have black and red cardigan
    Varsity Jacket-I like them, you know the American football jackets?
    Hoodies-I got like 5 American Apparel Hoodies
    Checkered Shirts-I love lumberjack shirts so much, sadly they're really expensive(Superdry 95 quid)
    High Tops-I think they make jeans, transform them completely, jeans with nike runners you get in jb sports look terrible imo.

Good point about dublin clubs, its really hard to be unique, I'm tryna mould my style but its taking time. I stay away from jack and jones and the likes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

What image of yourself are you trying to show, that is the key question?

tracksuits and their like are only suitable going to and from the gym/sports ground, or for drug addicts, burglars or shoplifters.

what kind of girls are you trying to attract? if she wears "trackies" your in, if not then dress accordingly.

barfizz wrote: »
    What image of yourself are you trying to show, that is the key question?

tracksuits and their like are only suitable going to and from the gym/sports ground, or for drug addicts, burglars or shoplifters.

what kind of girls are you trying to attract? if she wears "trackies" your in, if not then dress accordingly.
    best post so far :) yeah gonna need to put some thought into what fits me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

First of all buy clothes that fit - if somethings nice but not quite fitting you well, leave it off unless you like it so much that you'd get it altered.

Personally I think plain tees are the way to go - tees with slogans on them are fine every now and again but imo they're slightly juvenile.

Pennys, H&M and Topman all do nice plain v-neck tees - slim fit ones that are quite nice.

Regarding Jeans - they're hard to shop for imo - I don't do it often but again go for a nice fit and what you're comfortable in - sometimes you have to 'break in jeans' give them a couple of wears and then you'll be comfortable in them.

Finally, I'd say chinos and coloured chinos are in and Pennys have some nice varieties for around €15 worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I live in trekking boots as there comfy... and jeans and a puffy jacket with no arms I've nice clothes to...

when I'm dressed up I'm wearing jeans and kinda cowardinated, I love sneakers own a pair of shoes a couple of shirts but begin honest i dress to the style I live, in and Im not going to dress like a some sort of office clown if I'm never near one.. :) I wear hoodies nice ones I'm 30 years old, i don't care the style of clothing i wear suits me and most importantly I like it...

I love those sleeveless gilets(thinks thats what their called) quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone. If jeans are too hard on your skin, try something like the soft chinos you can get now.

Anyway, here's a good blog post on dressing in your 20's. Might be worth a look.

I'm actually in tears laughing at the tools in that.

At what point did dressing like the nerds from "Saved by the bell" become fashionable?!

Victims never change do they?
    Thanks for brightening up my morning!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Is rather see a guy in tracksuit bottoms than what they are wearing in that blog. Saying tracksuits are the devil and suggesting that is just odd :confused:

As others have said it depends on your look. Personally I wear what I'm comfortable in (yes I'm female but it's kinda irrelevant), what looks good on and clothes I like. I don't see how tracksuit bottoms at home and casual wear are an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That blog is hilarious, please ignore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Honestly if you want to look even slightly respectable ditch the trackies. I would never wear them unless i was going out for the express purpose of exercising. I think with jeans you really just have to suck it up and try on every brand you can find until you get one thats comfortable for you. I find Levis 501s are nice and soft, well fitting but not skinny.

Above the waist i mostly vary between hoodies and zip neck jumpers. I think stuff like this
    0158251108_1.jpg
    strikes a nice balance between being comfortable and casual and still looking smart, though i would go for a bolder colour than that picture.

Tshirts and shirts are largely irrelevant in ireland since they are typically hidden underneath about 3 other layers, but in general just aim for strong colours. I dont like checkered shirts because i always feel like they just kind of blend into the people around you like some sort of metrapolitan camouflage, but I've seen them looking ok on some people.

General tips:
    - Dont wear anything with horizontal stripes if you're fat (and do if you're thin :))

- Always buy clothes that are a reasonably tight fit. Not skintight, but if there's much room left over when you're in them they're too big. Literally any item of clothing will look scruffy if it's loose and baggy.

- Personal opinion but, i think any brand that has its name in giant letters on all its clothes (e.g. abercrombie) is terrible

- It's possible to dress very well without spending too much money, but it will be about a 1000x easier if you're willing to spend a few hundred on clothes per year. Places like debenhams, next etc usually have ridiculously good deals in the january sales.

- You can have your own style without looking radically different from everyone else. e.g. that jumper above looks smart but really boring and common. However if you get something similar with a tight fit and a better colour with some interesting features (stripes, patterns etc) and match it with good looking jeans, you instantly look better than about 80% of guys on the street.

- Short of wearing a tuxedo to the beach, it's basically impossible to overdress. You're just underdressing everyone else. Wear a formal suit to a nightclub sometime and see how it feels :) Don't ever be afraid of dressing "too fancy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sounds likes someone who keeps their hand down their pants...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Sounds likes someone who keeps their hand down their pants...

Your username? yeah lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Your username? yeah lol.

But only in the privacy of my own bedroom.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The key is to find a look you're happy with and clothes you are comfortable in.. I spent most of my college years in tracksuits as I was playing sports/training 7 days a week and it was the obvious choice, at night it was jeans and shirts/t-shirts.

If the jeans you're wearing are not comfortable, then chances are you're wearing the wrong style that suits your build. I personally like looser fitting jeans, as they are more comfortable and another issue I had in my 20s was the fact that despite me being rather slim, my thighs were fairly wide and muscular from sports/training/gym so I had to get loose fitting jeans. (not so much a problem these days :o)

Chinos/Dockers are also good, they are comfortable, softer than jeans and can be very easily dressed up or down depending on if required for work/casual going out wear..

My normal attire is a polo shirt, jeans and hiking boots as I'm on the move all day and working with equipment, if the weather is a little cooler, I tend to wear a v-neck or zip up jumper neil_ showed or a fleece.

Tracksuits are fine, I like lounging around in them at weekends if nothing planned, just back from the gym etc.. that poster who said they are the devil is talking our their ar*e and that blog they pointed you too is a complete and utter joke.. ignore it.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I reserve my right to my opinion. I honestly think a 25 year old man who wears tracksuits exclusively needs to grow up. I have never once seen someone who looks good in tracksuits. I never said you should follow the exact looks in that website I linked, it just gives some suggestions about how to dress in your 20's. I agree, most of the looks featured are a bit silly if you don't use a bit of cop on and separate the individual elements from each other.

But hey I also believe that you should wear what you feel good in, so if that's tracksuits and leisurewear, go for it :). But the OP did ask for opinions, I gave mine.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Just where whatever you want within reason of course. I'm a tracksuit guy, at the end of the day it's still the most popular casual wear. Don't just a book by it's cover and all that.

I see alot of hipsters wearing chinos, and other weird one direction style clothes these days. I'd feel like an awful tool in those, but it suits some people so let them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

different opinions for different posters :) i think the bad rep is coming from the amount of scumbags are wearing them,and i mean not the proper brand but the pennys 5euro tracksuit set,with baggy pants and socks up their knees outside out,that makes you puke every time you see one.But as someone mentioned i do exercise a lot and either a lot on the move or sitting inside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

awec wrote: »
    I'd like to think I'm fairly fashionable. Slim/skinny jeans or chinos, slim t-shirts and shirts etc, but that blog post is a bit OTT for me.

As for whoever suggested a suit, unless you have a specific need for a suit such as for an upcoming function that requires one then that should be the last thing you buy.

On the contrary a good suit is the one essential part of your wardrobe. A man will always need a suit for interviews, weddings, formal party or other important event. And its always a very bad idea to buy an ill-fitting one in a rush for a funeral etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im twenties and the top im wearing says "sex, drugs and sausage rolls". Just yeahhhhh. Nothing wrong with tracksuits I have a few there nice ones not pieces of crap. Jeans I wear alot and are fine with a pair of adidas runners. Dont go dressing in skinny jeans with knitted tops you will look like a spastic.

What do you differ between a 'nice tracksuit' and 'pieces of crap'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

EdenHazard wrote: »
    What do you differ between a 'nice tracksuit' and 'pieces of crap'

I would suggest that they are one and the same

For the OP pretty much anything except tracksuits would be an improvement. Head to town and walk around to see what you like? Not all jeans are hard material

I never understand the hatred some people have for Pennys. Their quality has increased exponentially in recent years - most of my clothes come from there and most can never believe it. For me, I would always wear jeans - skinny, not slim, because I would like to have children at some point in my life - v-neck t-shirts/normal ones, though I would always try to steer clear of ones with slogans/catch phrases, and interesting jumpers, as in their designs.

If you're unsure of what might suit you, OP, do you have any friends that could go with you clothes shopping and be able to offer their honest opinion to you?

RE: tracksuit pants - while they're not the worst, it always amuses me how it's some guys first port of call. Yes, they can look great on some guys, but they shouldn't be your only option.

Also, am I the only one that think chinos look a little silly?

Pennys is good now

Pennys is great, especially now since they're actually starting to stock slimfit clothes, which they never used to. Remember buying small/medium tshirts in there previously and having them hang off of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

I am 25 year old and find nothing wrong with track suits.

If i'm heading to the pub or say the cinema i'l have a pair of jeans on,but the best part of my time is spent in tracksuits as it's comfortable. Except of course work with the shirt and tie.

Advertisement