Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

• 22-10-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Guys/Girls,

Would be graetful for recommendations for an Android box that runs XBMC.

Would be grateful to know things like which firmware is best, which processor i.e. quad core or dual core

Any other info. that you boardies think is imporatnt would also be appreciated.

Regards

Iba
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have a mk808b that runs xbmc fine. There may be newer versions out there now like mk908 (quad core).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

I have 2 raspberry pi's that do the job nicely. on one I use pass-through to allow my amp to decode digital audio as the pi doesn't have the required licences for DTS - also lessens the strain on the GPU! for the price you can't beat it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

Theres one guy on adverts selling one for 109. It's quad core and 2 gig ram and I would go with that to keep it running silky smooth. He also has xbmc installed with all the extras enabled. I had a raspberry pie but found it a bit clunky and frustrating. It could do nearly everything but not a great user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056939401&page=14

Last 5 or 6 pages are best read for more up to date info on the latest models.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

emo72 wrote: »
    Theres one guy on adverts selling one for 109. It's quad core and 2 gig ram and I would go with that to keep it running silky smooth.

Looks like he's doubling his money. For less than a fiver more (or maybe even cheaper if you pay in USD) you can get the 5 set bundle listed here:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html

* Tronsmart MK908II RK3188 Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz Google Android 4.2 Mini TV BOX 2G/8G BT External Wifi Antenna-Black 53.99
    * Tronsmart TSM01 English Version Air Mouse + Keyboard for TV Box / PC / Motion Sensing Games EUR 14.34
    * High Speed 7 Ports Expanded USB 2.0 Hub with On/Off Switch for Laptop Notebook Computer EUR 4.93
    * NEW G910 Wireless BT Gamepad Game Controller for Android TV BOX/Mini PC/Smartphone/Tablet PC + IOS supported EUR 21.44
    * Brand Logitech C170 Setup 5 Mega Pixel Wired Camera USB Webcam Web Camera w/Mic----Black EUR 18.74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Blade wrote: »
    Looks like he's doubling his money. For less than a fiver more (maybe ever cheaper if you pay in USD) you can get the 5 set bundle listed here:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html

* Tronsmart MK908II RK3188 Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz Google Android 4.2 Mini TV BOX 2G/8G BT External Wifi Antenna-Black 53.99
    * Tronsmart TSM01 English Version Air Mouse + Keyboard for TV Box / PC / Motion Sensing Games EUR 14.34
    * High Speed 7 Ports Expanded USB 2.0 Hub with On/Off Switch for Laptop Notebook Computer EUR 4.93
    * NEW G910 Wireless BT Gamepad Game Controller for Android TV BOX/Mini PC/Smartphone/Tablet PC + IOS supported EUR 21.44
    * Brand Logitech C170 Setup 5 Mega Pixel Wired Camera USB Webcam Web Camera w/Mic----Black EUR 18.74

Customs likely though?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

sweetie wrote: »
    Customs likely though?

Less than €150 so all he'd get stuck for is VAT if he got caught.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

BroLo wrote: »
    Less than €150 so all he'd get stuck for is VAT if he got caught.

True, I suppose with a bigger package like that you might get hit with the VAT. But on the other threads discussing a similar device where people were buying the device with an air mouse from this site, I didn't hear of anyone getting hit for the VAT. You have to allow for it though, that's still the cheapest you'll find these from a reliable site.

P.S. You could also break them down into separate orders so each package is of lower value.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

you could try a raspberry pi and if ur tv is newish you shoudl be able to control it via cec
    costs about 50 euro with a case and charger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

True, I suppose with a bigger package like that you might get hit with the VAT. But on the other threads discussing a similar device where people were buying the device with an air mouse from this site, I didn't hear of anyone getting hit for the VAT. You have to allow for it though, that's still the cheapest you'll find these from a reliable site.

P.S. You could also break them down into separate orders so each package is of lower value.

My friend ordered from geekbuying MK908 + remote. He got hit for VAT. Having said that VAT was only €9 or so.

I ordered MK808B from geek and remote from dealextreme. Did not get hit for any VAT.

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    My friend ordered from geekbuying MK908 + remote. He got hit for VAT. Having said that VAT was only €9 or so.

I ordered MK808B from geek and remote from dealextreme. Did not get hit for any VAT.

Shows it's better to break them down so. Myself and my neighbour ordered 3 items, the MK808b, remote and the usb hub from Geekbuying at separate times and neither of us got hit for the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

zerks wrote: »
    Big thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056939401&page=14

Last 5 or 6 pages are best read for more up to date info on the latest models.

Thanks Zerks, could not find another thread on it myself

Guys, thank you for all your comments and suggestions above - Ill have a look at teh suggestions as soon as I get a chance.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

iba wrote: »
    Guys, thank you for all your comments and suggestions above - Ill have a look at teh suggestions as soon as I get a chance.

Much appreciated.

Have a look at the ouya console , it's about 90e but perfect for xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

campo wrote: »

Surely any quad core with 2Gb ram beats a Ouya hands down?

Fieldog wrote: »

Depends on what OP wants to use xbmc for , but if just for streaming I find the ouya very good

I was just looking at that box and it seems very good and also seems to be supported by the XBMC community and I'm also looking at this Gbox midnite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382459331&sr=8-1&keywords=gbox+midnight

Other ones that have popped up seem to be Odroid, Pivos and ATV 1200

Just finished reading teh thread that zerks posted a few posts back. The main recommended there seem to be Prometheus and the MK908B and MK908II (or maybe they are the same box). Really is a massive choice.

Fieldog wrote: »

But is a Quad core really needed or is a dual core sufficent?

Depends on what OP wants to use xbmc for , but if just for streaming I find the ouya very good

I would use it mainly for watching 'Filmon' but as I'm only a beginner on XBMC, I'm not 100% sure of its full capabilities and all the things that it is good for yet. I have XBMC on my laptop and Nexus tablet at teh moment and practising with it.

Something else I think that I have just noticed and that is that teh MK908 is not full HD but only 780p - is this right?

I guess it is better to get a box that is fullHD 1080p

• Advertisement

Something else I think that I have just noticed and that is that teh MK908 is not full HD but only 780p - is this right?

Not sure where you saw that, even the MK808 is 1080p. Anyway it's the MK908II (not MK908) you should be looking at, the one I linked above.

The Prometheus was mentioned because of a huge price drop, not sure if it's still at the low price now and because of it's Ethernet port etc. But some of these devices have some issues regarding heat and it's unclear which versions are being shipped by Geekbuying.

I've a dual core MK808b at the mo, but yes I would most definitely go for the quad core now as it can be a bit sluggish and sure why not for a few quid more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

But is a Quad core really needed or is a dual core sufficent?

For Jellybean I think Quad core is the way to go, if its was 4.0 ICS dual core would be fine....

I would use it mainly for watching 'Filmon' but as I'm only a beginner on XBMC, I'm not 100% sure of its full capabilities and all the things that it is good for yet. I have XBMC on my laptop and Nexus tablet at teh moment and practising with it.

It does much more, but I probably cant say what but Youtube is your friend

Not sure where you saw that, even the MK808 is 1080p. Anyway it's the MK908II (not MK908) you should be looking at, the one I linked above.

The Prometheus was mentioned because of a huge price drop, not sure if it's still at the low price now and because of it's Ethernet port etc. But some of these devices have some issues regarding heat and it's unclear which versions are being shipped by Geekbuying.

I've a dual core MK808b at the mo, but yes I would most definitely go for the quad core now as it can be a bit sluggish and sure why not for a few quid more!

I looked at that link now - could not earlier on:

its $70 now - thats a good price, yes? Not sure which of the extras I would need though.

Will have a look around that site later on at other boxes that they have; could only look at amazon earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

You can get the MyGica510B for 77 euro, order through parcel motel for faster and cheaper delivery. It comes with linux XBMC pre-installed so may not be what you want. It is a fantastic device, I have it about 6 months or so and absolutely love it, boots straight into xbmc in seconds and is very responsive. I have no issues with it, wifi works great on it too!

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP047.php

This is suposed to be brilliant as well, only 53 euros! Whufclee on xbmctalk gave it a great review. He is one of the devs for xbmc.

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP046.php

I looked at that link now - could not earlier on:

its $70 now - thats a good price, yes? Not sure which of the extras I would need though.

Will have a look around that site later on at other boxes that they have; could only look at amazon earlier

I think it's cheaper when you pay in USD, but yes 54 Euro is good for a quad core with 2 Gigs of RAM, same price as some of the dual cores mentioned here. If you just want a dual core then you may as well go for the MK808b for 34 Euro:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-RK3066-Cortex-A9-1GB-RAM-8GB-ROM-Mini-PC-TV-Box---Black-313213.html

I would recommend you also go for the Tronsmart remote listed in the bundle I posted earlier, regardless of which of these Android devices you might go for. It's much neater than the likes of the RC11, batteries last longer and it has a motion sensor for games which the RC11 doesn't. If you also want to use the device for Skype or home security through Skype then add that camera from the bundle. Other webcams may not work.

P.S. you can also control these devices through your Android phone with apps like Droidmote or xbmc specific Yatse app, but the physical remote is nice to have.

It's free shipping from that site but as it's coming from China you might get hit for VAT as mentioned and the average wait is about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

emo72 wrote: »
    Theres one guy on adverts selling one for 109. It's quad core and 2 gig ram and I would go with that to keep it running silky smooth. He also has xbmc installed with all the extras enabled.

Would the 'all the extras enabled' entail much work ? Have only installed XBMC on a PC but have not done much research into the 'extras' yet!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    Would the 'all the extras enabled' entail much work ? Have only installed XBMC on a PC but have not done much research into the 'extras' yet!!

Takes about 5 mins, again google and Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »

Im like you, I have it on my laptop too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement