Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Pound Statistics - Greyhounds

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Some news from the north, with mention of the IGB as well:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17396205
    It would be nice to know the figures, it would also be nice if the representative from the IGB would say:

Mod edit: <snip>
    Can you clarify if that was a direct quotation or not? If it was, and didn't come from the above link, can you include the relevant link. If it wasn't, then it shouldn't be in quotation marks.

Isn't the IGB Welfare officer suppose to know? At least a well researched estimate would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The welfare officer is clearly quoted here regarding greyhound numbers
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17396205
    "I don't know where you got that figure. It is the first time I have heard such a figure.

And can be heard saying the above, and more, here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dlmwv/Hounded/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulacamp388

I agree the figures of dying greyhounds in our pounds in ireland is totally disgusting... we are in the year 2012 - this SHOULD NOT be happening..... :mad:
    would any one who has posted here, like to come together and maybe we can try change things.... somehow.....

mosi wrote: »
    http://www.anvilireland.ie/greyhound-pound-statistics.html

The most recently available dog pound statistics for 2010 show that in many dog pounds throughout Ireland, the pts for greyhounds was 100%. On average, 82% of greyhounds that entered the pound system were put down. This compares to an average pts rate for other dogs at 34%

Such figures are unacceptably high and I am wondering what readers in this forum think could and should be done to change this.

In donegal the warden in the pound openly told me that if the owner states, DO NOT REHOME then the pound will not and cannot rehome by law.... WHAT kind of a stupid law is this????????
    Please can anyone enlighten this... if the owner does not need or want the greyhound anymore (and most dont) why oh why are they allowed to say what happens the poor dog once they surrender it to the pound.
    CRAZZZY

please lets get together and change this. the figures for 2012 of greyhounds killed in pounds in Ireland are disgusting.....

who can help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-16301746

please consider rehoming a greyhound and lets get to the pounds and free these beautiful animals. they are the laziest most placid breed of all and they are fab with children!!!

I will forward the 2012 pound figures on here soon!!

• Advertisement

The IGB are aware of what is happening and they push it under the carpet!!

Its unresponsible and disgusting

PLEASE HELP CHANGE THE LAW

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

The IGB are aware of what is happening and they push it under the carpet!!

Its unresponsible and disgusting

PLEASE HELP CHANGE THE LAW

The law has been changed here in Ireland lately

The igb have been to the fore to address cases of mistreatment with the aid of these new laws

that is not pushing it under the carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nowso wrote: »
    The law has been changed here in Ireland lately

The igb have been to the fore to address cases of mistreatment with the aid of these new laws

that is not pushing it under the carpet

The IGB use minimal welfare as a publicity stunt. There has never been any evidence to show that the IGB really care about welfare.

The IGB refuse to provide figures for the number of dogs that "disappear". Every year thousands of Greyhounds are bred that are not considered good enough to race. The IGB considers it acceptable for these dogs to be killed.

A small betting levy would ensure that every Greyhound could be properly cared for.

The "new" laws are a sham. The IGB lobbied to be excluded from the animal welfare legislation because they wanted to self regulate

In donegal the warden in the pound openly told me that if the owner states, DO NOT REHOME then the pound will not and cannot rehome by lae.... WHAT kind of a stupid law is this???????? Used
    Please can anyone enlighten this... if the owner does not need or want the greyhound anymore (and most dont) why oh why are they allowed to say what happens the poor dog once they surrender it to the pound.
    CRAZZZY

please lets get together and change this. the figures for 2012 of greyhounds killed in pounds in Ireland are disgusting.....

who can help

As far as I know there is nothing in law covering this. If the owner of any dog surrenders it to the Pound it is entirely up to the Pound Keeper to decide what happens to the dog.

Whilst the IGB are unhappy with the figures they claim, in correspondence to me, that the Pounds include Lurchers & non tattooed dogs in the figures.

If a Greyhound doesn't have a tattoo the IGB want nothing to do with it.

greyhounds are pure bred dogs-- if its not its not a greyhound

New laws are in place and a betting levy is in the pipeline in legislation,

there has been alot of rehoming and alot of that to foreign countrys

you only hear what your want to

• Advertisement

greyhounds are pure bred dogs-- if its not its not a greyhound

New laws are in place and a betting levy is in the pipeline in legislation,

there has been alot of rehoming and alot of that to foreign countrys you only hear what your want to

I have a beautiful Greyhound. She is purebred but not tattooed so, according to the IGB, she isn't part of the statistics. She wasn't registered to race & was therefore a worthless burden to her owner so they dumped her.

What do you think happens to all the dogs that aren't good enough to race?

Is it acceptable that we have to ask for the help of foreign rescues to take our unwanted dogs?

If the IGB & Greyhound owners really cared they would of acted years ago & saved the lives of thousands of dogs instead of killing them.

there has also been a change in the regulations for marking up greyhounds (Tatoo etc)

which is another welfare based improvement.

and there rehomed all over europe , a lot more people have greyhounds as pets in europe than in ireland, the igb and others are looking to promote that perception here. ie greyhounds make good pets

there has also been a change in the regulations for marking up greyhounds (Tatoo etc)

which is another welfare based improvement.

and there rehomed all over europe , a lot more people have greyhounds as pets in europe than in ireland, the igb and others are looking to promote that perception here. ie greyhounds make good pets

The IGB are trying to find ways of disposing of the waste rather than preventing it.

Greyhound racing can never be ethical because you cannot produce dogs, good enough to race, without resulting in thousands of that aren't good enough.

The new "regulations" are pointless because they are not independently enforced. The industry kills thousands of dogs every year yet they are allowed to police themselves.

Greyhounds are dogs & they should have the same protection & owner responsibility as any other breed. No one should be allowed to breed dogs, keep a few & kill the rest.

Discodog wrote: »
    The IGB are trying to find ways of disposing of the waste rather than preventing it.

Greyhound racing can never be ethical because you cannot produce dogs, good enough to race, without resulting in thousands of that aren't good enough.

The new "regulations" are pointless because they are not independently enforced. The industry kills thousands of dogs every year yet they are allowed to police themselves.

Greyhounds are dogs & they should have the same protection & owner responsibility as any other breed. No one should be allowed to breed dogs, keep a few & kill the rest.

EXACTLY right ... who gives them the right to breed to kill them off.

As far as I know there is nothing in law covering this. If the owner of any dog surrenders it to the Pound it is entirely up to the Pound Keeper to decide what happens to the dog.

WHY then is every greyhound put into the donegal pound PUT TO SLEEP????

WHY then are NO GREYHUONDS REHOMED from the pound.

I even saw one in there and they would not re home it.... because the owner/trainer said not to be rehomed...
    DISGUSTING thats what it is and the IGB get thousands... in grants etc and they need to get there act together to SORT THIS CRUELTY!!!!!:mad:

Some Dog Pounds are telling owners that they will 'get a home' for their greyhound. This is untrue 99.9% of the time.

For example, the pound in Ennis put all the greyhounds into one seperate room and dont let the public see them "they're only greyhounds" The pounds in Kerry, Cork, Nth Dublin, Sligo, Galway and many many more rarely show greyhounds to the public.
    In Donegal they will not re home any greyhound....

If an owner wants his/her dog put to sleep, fine. But please don't believe for one minute, that a Dog Pound will 'Get a good home for your Dog'.

***For overseas readers. A Dog Pound is a Government facility that disposes of unwanted dogs.

SO if the IGB were interested in the Welfare of these greyhounds surely they would not allow owners to put the dogs into such terrifying pounds where they watch dogs being Put to sleep and are not exercised or even let out to the toilet for the last 5 days of thier life... The pounds put dogs to sleep after 5 days.
    Imagine the fear the dogs sence in these awful places!!

WHY then is every greyhound put into the donegal pound PUT TO SLEEP????

WHY then are NO GREYHUONDS REHOMED from the pound.

I even saw one in there and they would not re home it.... because the owner/trainer said not to be rehomed...
    DISGUSTING thats what it is and the IGB get thousands... in grants etc and they need to get there act together to SORT THIS CRUELTY!!!!!:mad:

I have been told that Greyhound owners do not want the dogs rehomed because of the perceived risk that they will fall into the hands of "the wrong people"

In reality they are using the Pounds as a cheap, no questions, disposal service. The Pound is there to deal with strays & not to provide a cheap killing service for a multimillion industry.

I am seeking clarification as to where, in law, the Pounds think that an owner can stipulate whether a dog is rehomed or killed.

I have heard that Pound Keepers argue that the dogs would be disposed of by "other methods" if the Pound didn't take them. The Pounds cannot refuse to take a dog.

Advertisement