Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Just a quick update, we've deployed a couple of fixes this morning:

- Menu alignment and timing issues fixed, global nav should now be a lot smoother during page load
    - Rec menu should now align center so it will work better on small screen devices
    - Clicking the notification badge now links you to your notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Giving it another shot.

A small thing is the reply options in each post. Does the quote button need to say quote? I can the design for the larger buttons but the word quote really just stretches it out.

EDIT : Just noticed the edit button has it as well.

P.S.
    Type: Bug
    Issue: I'm not getting notifications. Two threads unread in my subbed list that I only noticed when I went to delete a sub. I'll leave them unread in case it helps.
    Browser & OS: IE9 Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

HAhn4.png

Firefox 13, ubuntu 12.04

And the blue at the top is horrible imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Masked Man wrote: »
    HAhn4.png

Firefox 13, ubuntu 12.04

And the blue at the top is horrible imo.

The alt text on follow is a tokenised string - nothing new on this for the new skin.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Search functionality

Search by user filter doesn't work. Entered in my username into the advanced search with the keyword deficit, got > 12k results (no. posts at the time was 2,249).

Any chance of putting back the advanced search link - not having it there makes it seems as if it advanced search has been removed.

Cheers

Edit: Chrome & winXP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Type: Bug / Missing Feature
    Issue: The categories at the top no longer link to their page. Not sure if this bug or wasn't put in. An example is Games. If I click games in an old skin I get : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Browser & OS: IE9 & Win 7

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

irishbird wrote: »
    i have a problem with the drop down menu from Rec.

The left side of the of the menu is not showing. I am using a netbook, there isnt a problem on the laptop.

just thought i would let you know :)

w00t - it is working now.

thank you :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

whoopsadaisydoodles received a name change yesterday to "whoopsadaisy doodles". She hated it, so I rolled that back this morning. The actual fix for wrapping long usernames hasn't been deployed yet, it'll be taken care of this afternoon.

Danny

She got tired of being used as an example of breaking the layout and decided to fix it for ye? :pac::pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    She got tired of being used as an example of breaking the layout and decided to fix it for ye? :pac::pac:

I showed her what was coming down the line, she didn't like it and tried to one-up me. It didn't work out :P

Danny

irishbird wrote: »
    w00t - it is working now.

thank you :)
    Just a quick update, we've deployed a couple of fixes this morning:

- Rec menu should now align center so it will work better on small screen devices

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just noticed that over on the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php page, the SendPM button is still the same style as the old skins. Is there plans to update them to be similar to the new button style?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/446650/213057.JPG

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just noticed that over on the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php page, the SendPM button is still the same style as the old skins. Is there plans to update them to be similar to the new button style?

No, there are no plans to update any more icons at this time. That page isn't even accessible anywhere on the new skin so you have to know the URL :)

Danny

• Long usernames break the layout - This will be fixed in the next update
    • The preview/save buttons on the Edit post page are on different lines - This will be fixed in the next update

Small deployment there, those two issues should no longer be present :)

Edit: Cozy mode swapped for Cosy, to please you spelling bees :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

whoopsadaisydoodles received a name change yesterday to "whoopsadaisy doodles". She hated it, so I rolled that back this morning. The actual fix for wrapping long usernames hasn't been deployed yet, it'll be taken care of this afternoon.

Danny

I'd say she hates the new implementation even more! :D

In fairness to the long username people (and poor whoopsadaisydoodles appears to have become the 'test case' here :( ), might it be possible to perhaps display their username in a smaller font, or maybe expand the width of the left column and reduce the width of the right column by the same amount for their posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is this a total changeover or can we still continue to use the old beta skin? I tried the new look site & really didn't like it... it felt like walking into your local supermarket where you've shopped for years only to find that they've re-arranged all the aisles.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've tried to use the new layout for a few days now but I really can't warm to it. Everything is far too big, even in cosy mode. There seems to be a general trend in this direction to add huge UI elements and excessive white space and padding. Skype 5 has been completely ruined by it, the backlash against the OS X version has been particularly vocal, and they still won't take the complaints seriously. The beta of the updated Steam UI a couple of years ago was similarly designed with padded huge elements until they were begged to bring back compact view which is the default view everyone uses.

What is influencing this? Touch screens? A desire to align touch.boards.ie with regular boards? I recognise that change is often difficult but this seems too far.

Back to the excellent old beta skin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

The only problem I'm having with the new look is on my "My Forums" page, where new comments in threads in said forums no longer look bold.

Considering the My Forums page is the page I have bookmarked to take me to Boards.ie, and the main focal point for me using this site, that's a pretty big problem.

As I said, I've no problem with the look. I'm just missing the practicality of seeing bold/un-bold threads on the My Forums page so I can see what's new without having to look at the time and date to figure out when I was last on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

I like it, I like the 'larger' symbols etc, makes it clearer....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Have to say I really like the new site very pleased with it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

New header design is much better, and I like the cozy option to reduce padding.

Header is still too big for my liking though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Edit: Cozy mode swapped for Cosy, to please you spelling bees :pac:
    Untitledcozyss.png

:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Firefox 13.0.1
    Windows Vista
    Bug: pressing the "increase size" button in the quick reply box doesn't increase the size of the box. If I manually increase the box size though (using the bottom right hand dragger) then subsequent presses of the "increase size" button works. Same for "decrease size".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have had to go back to the Old Beta.

Nothing to do with how the new look website appears on my laptop, but on my phone. Not sure of operating system but its a Nokia 5800.

The drop down menus open automatically, nearly all of them. And appear as transparent, so I can see the forum homepage behind them, but cant click on anything.

Slightly off topic but wasn't there a touch site at one point for use on mobiles?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There still is:
    touch.boards.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The no of PM's indicated on my account is not decrementing as I read them.

I had 2, read one, but it's still flagging as 2 unread.

Been in/out of CP and threads, and refreshing, but it's still there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

galwaytt wrote: »
    The no of PM's indicated on my account is not decrementing as I read them.

I had 2, read one, but it's still flagging as 2 unread.

Been in/out of CP and threads, and refreshing, but it's still there.

+1 on this.

Also, on iPhone when you enact the drop down menu for notifications, I can't click onto any of them, I actually end up clicking onto the underlying link which is usually page 12 of whichever thread is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭jasonb

I still have the 'Notificiations' issue. It's telling me I have two unread Followed Threads, even though I don't. Any fix on this yet?

J.

Also, on iPhone when you enact the drop down menu for notifications, I can't click onto any of them, I actually end up clicking onto the underlying link which is usually page 12 of whichever thread is open.

This problem is the same as the iPad issue - iOS doesn't manage fixed position elements all that well. It's an Apple issue :)
    jasonb wrote: »
    I still have the 'Notificiations' issue. It's telling me I have two unread Followed Threads, even though I don't. Any fix on this yet?

J.

Not yet, but it's on the cards

Posy wrote: »
    Untitledcozyss.png

:o:o

Well look at that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Since Sunday (I think, maybe Saturday) the new boards site locks my internet connection on my htc desire, using the standard browser. It definitely only happens with this site and only way out is to restart the phone. Android 2.2.2, Meteor.

Advertisement