Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave Rant

• 27-02-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I work in an office where people are quick to spill their guts on all forms of their lives.

This morning, I overheard a member of staff being asked by their supervisor to train on a new element to her job. Her response was that she would not do it because she is not capable of learning new things and that if she was forced to do it, she would get herself signed off on sick leave. She went on to say how she is in receipt of a medical card and uses it when she has a cold or hay fever etc.

Another girl piped up who has just returned from sick leave last week to say she is sick of the place already and might get herself signed out again as she 'had better craic when she was off'.

What the hell is wrong with people these days!? I earn just over the minimum wage, pay my revenue contributions and the USC, rent, bills food and by the end of the month I am awaiting the next wage packet with baited breath, yet some of these people are leading the high life.

And people wonder why others are emigrating?

Sick of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Sick of it.

Call in sick?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This morning, I overheard a member of staff being asked by their supervisor to train on a new element to her job. Her response was that she would not do it because she is not capable of learning new things and that if she was forced to do it, she would get herself signed off on sick leave. She went on to say how she is in receipt of a medical card and uses it when she has a cold or hay fever etc.
    She says this to her supervisor and this muppet isn't in any fear of being let go? :eek: Good god. Not capable of learning new things? Well then rev up and feck off there's the dole queue love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

eh how the hell are they signing themselves off sick?
    My back was at all last week, now my bolldy voice is gone. and I wont be able to go back until my back stops twinging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Public service? I get 5 days of sick leave per year. If I take any more, I don't get paid for them.

Should be slightly more than 5 days but still you get the idea.. Whom do you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

from what i can make out they are going to their doctors, saying they are stressed and then BOOM! two weeks off, which then becomes a month etc.

the girl who doesnt want to train said that she probably doesnt need the job as she would get just as much if she was on benefits and sat around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Very curious who you work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nevore wrote: »
    Very curious who you work for.

And me. It does sound like the public sector. (Speaking from an almost identical experience; not PS bashing!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

from what i can make out they are going to their doctors, saying they are stressed and then BOOM! two weeks off, which then becomes a month etc.

That can be a real issue and a stressful job can ruin your mental health and put you in a dangerous situation
    Some employers have grasped never waste a good recession and expect one person to do what three used to do. Not everyone can cope

But it's wasters like your colleagues who ruin it for the genuine cases who need help from their GP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

What the hell is wrong with people these days!? I earn just over the minimum wage, pay my revenue contributions and the USC, rent, bills food and by the end of the month I am awaiting the next wage packet with baited breath, yet some of these people are leading the high life.
    the girl who doesnt want to train said that she probably doesnt need the job as she would get just as much if she was on benefits and sat around the house.

There's your answer.

Along with this she has a track record of being off sick because of stress so if she is fired she'll have no hassle with the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds like a unionised company.

Such BS, I could never work for a company like that, it would drive me f*cking insane. I'm always self learning, I don't wait around to be told I need to learn A or B. It's fairly obvious that you always need to update your skills or get left behind.

I f*ckin hate this mentality of "that's not part of my job, I need more money to do that". Bloody f*cking unions are the main cause of this awful mentality that prevails in a lot of companies :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Where the hell do you work OP, I just want to note it down for the next time I'm in Ireland to punch your tosser of a boss. Arseholes like this have jobs while myself and my friends had to leave the country. For fúck sake.

jester77 wrote: »
    Sounds like a unionised company.

A pretty ineffective union so if the OP and the others are earning little over minimum wage

An employer that pays you just about the minimum they legally have to does not value you much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

bijapos wrote: »
    There's your answer.

Along with this she has a track record of being off sick because of stress so if she is fired she'll have no hassle with the social.

Although if they try to get rid of her over stress it might open a can of worms for unfair dismissal etc ... probably easier for them just to have her turn up whenever she wants

Where the hell do you work OP, I just want to note it down for the next time I'm in Ireland to punch your tosser of a boss. Arseholes like this have jobs while myself and my friends had to leave the country. For fúck sake.

you are exactly right - the amount of people that would kill to stay here and work but have been forced to leave. It is in a customer service type job that I am in, not going to reveal the name of organisation on here, but it is not public sector.

The building is full of people who 'know their rights' and at the very drop of a hot, they are up in arms.

Just on the stress issue, I was not trying to make light of it, I am well aware that loads of people through out the country have stressful jobs that can affect mental health, but I can safely say that some of the people in my office have little to be stressed about.

It just really gets me down that I work in a place that employs people like this, and on a larger scale, pays tax to a country that not only permits people to have an attitude like this, but actually seems to encourage it.

We would have a number of workers in our organisation who live/have lived in Northern Ireland in the past, and they are astounded at the level of benefits available to us, the dole in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I assume you work for the public service.... every public service worker I know is a fcuking scumbag.

mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am self employed and this type of carry on is completely alien to me

I assume you work for the public service.... every public service worker I know is a fcuking scumbag.

not public service - and even if it was, its nice to know you can generalise an entire workforce into one category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

in my entire life i have called into work sick....once. but it was for a week.

edit:actually twice. dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Maybe read the whole thread before commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sykk wrote: »
    Public service? I get 5 days of sick leave per year. If I take any more, I don't get paid for them.

Should be slightly more than 5 days but still you get the idea.. Whom do you work for?
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    And me. It does sound like the public sector. (Speaking from an almost identical experience; not PS bashing!)

Thats exactly what it is!

Well i dont think you could get a job in the public service you are at least expected to be able to read whats in front of you! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A pretty ineffective union so if the OP and the others are earning little over minimum wage

An employer that pays you just about the minimum they legally have to does not value you much at all

It sounds to me like this 'worker' is not worth minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I stand by what I said. Each and every individual who works in the public service is a fcuking scumbag.

Mod. Poster banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

FatherLen wrote: »
    in my entire life i have called into work sick....once. but it was for a week.

edit:actually twice. dammit

You made a claim on the number of times you called in sick and then in an instant you doubled the number of times you called in sick.

How are we supposed to trust you?

You can trust a priest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

mikemac1 wrote: »

This employee is not even worth the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I stand by what I said. Each and every individual who works in the public service is a fcuking scumbag.

Well Mickey with that attitude I hope you never end up in hospital, or need an ambulance or fire brigade! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

How the 'ell has she a medical card?

If she is working and has a card she can't even be getting minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

gbee wrote: »
    How the 'ell has she a medical card?

If she is working and has a card she can't even be getting minimum wage?

Not so ... she can be means tested for it and if under the limit is entitled. Even if over the limit, depending on personal circumstance the HSE can issue cards to those they feel are in need

as to how she has a medical card, i have no idea, think its to do with single mother etc. She is at work telling everyone who will listen how she has a council house, medical card etc.

As an aside, a girl in her team has a daughter who has chronic asthma but cant get a medical card - needless to say it does nothing for team spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned