Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we get the BBC iPlayer in Ireland?

• 20-01-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been able to successfully set in up on their PS3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

I thought it wasn't even possible on a PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You might be able to access some radio content but TV will largely require a British IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah right, was hoping it might be as simple as setting up a new PSN Store account with a UK address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Can you not just use a UK proxy? Worked on my pc over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

how do you do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Google it! You lazy fock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

amjon wrote: »
    Google it! You lazy fock.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

how do you do that
    Google it.

[edit]
    Look at the Proxy FAQ of the xroxy.com forum
    UK HTTP(s) proxy (24 hours subscription, non-recurring) 0.99 GBP
    UK HTTP(s) proxy (3 days subscription, non-recurring) 1.99 GBP
    UK HTTP(s) proxy (1 week subscription, non-recurring) 2.99 GBP
    UK HTTP(s) proxy (2 weeks subscription, non-recurring) 3.99 GBP
    UK HTTP(s) proxy (1 month subscription, non-recurring) 5.99 GBP
    Shop around, and you'll get better than the above. No idea how you can do the proxy through your PS3, did it through the PC. In my case, the tape player failed :( so needed a way to watch something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a PS3 and it has a BBC iPlayer add-on programme for it. Whenever I try to watch a programme though it says "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only".

I know the reason this message is coming up is because I live in Ireland, however is there any way to get around it? I've had the same issue before watching BBC content on their website and have been able to get around it by using a fake proxy.

Is there anyway to get it working on the PS3 without having to drive to the north? :)

Just one other thing, I have tried using my FoxyProxy proxy, username and password and when I load iPlayer, it asks for the username and password but when I enter the info and click OK, the boxes go blank and it asks me to enter them again.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

easiest way would be to purchase a monthly uk vpn account

• Advertisement

BOBBY wrote: »
    easiest way would be to purchase a monthly uk vpn account

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

From here if it helps :
    http://planetlotus.org/profiles/carl-tyler_48859

Watching BBC iPlayer shows in the US on your PS3

A few people emailed me follow-up questions from my post the other day about watching BBC iPlayer shows in the US on my PS3. If you try this regularly from a browser outside the UK you will get a message looking something like this:

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you.

This message makes perfect sense, but how do you get around it. I do it the following way:
    1. I have a UK VPN account, that allows my PC to appear as if it's from the UK. There are a number of services out there such as Witopia.net, for Witopia.net you need to get their personalVPN™ - SSL option to get a UK gateway.

2. I setup a small Windows XP VMWare machine, it only has 128 mb assigned to it, so I don't even notice it's running on my ESXi server. On that XP image I have installed the personalVPN client, and I have also installed CCProxy I use the demo version of CCProxy as I only have the PS3 and maybe my desktop connecting to it. I start the VPN client and when that is connected I then start CCProxy. I make a note of the IP address of the XP image (makes sense to use a static IP) and then switch over to the PS3.

3. On the PS3 I go through a custom setup of the network, and on;y change one setting from the default, and that is I tell the PS3 to use a proxy. When it prompts for the proxy I enter the IP address of the XP image and the port "808". Now all my browsing on the PS3 is done through the CCProxy which is connected to the internet through the personalVPN proxy. Which means to outside servers it appears as if I am in the UK.

One thing that is nice about this setup, is it still allows me to acccess the Windows Home Server and other media servers on my LAN, as they are not accessed through the proxy. If for some reason I need the PS3 to act like it's back in the US I can just remove the proxy setting. Another benefit of this setup is that I use Firefox as my regular browser, which means I can configure IE on my regular day to day machine to use the proxy, which allows me to watch the BBC iPlayer shows inside an IE window without having to run the VPN software and grab a new IP address.

This same approach works for the Channel 4 OD player, if you download the channel 4 player, and you have the proxy enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm, for some reason i don't even get the option to watch the iPlayer on my PS3, didn't have the option on my old either. Yet when my nephew got a new for xmas and set it up in my gaff he got the option straight away.... I know it would be of no use to me anyway, but i'm just curious as to why it won't display...

Have you updated the software on the PS3 since you bought it? As far as I know, it came through with some software update several months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Yep, keep it up todate firmware wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

The BBC iplayer only came as an update if your a resident of the UK.

Yeah I read that article as well but it's not working. I have a UK VPN now but iPlayer won't even load when I try to use the proxy as suggested in that article. I reckon there's something I haven't set up correctly but I'm betting there's some info missing from those instructions unfortunately.

Anyone else tried to get their PS3 to connect through a VPN on their laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

nedd wrote: »
    The BBC iplayer only came as an update if your a resident of the UK.

I think that was the TV option on the XMB? The bbc iplayer can still be accessed via internet browser, but it just doesnt work

we had TV option on the XMB at one stage but sony the killjoys took it away again :( apapparently some refurbs from sony have this, sony said it was something to do with the market for which the console was originally produced, which i thought was a bit odd.

it would be so handy to have it as a function on the ps3 instead of trying to stream it via the browser (a la RTE player)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah I read that article as well but it's not working. I have a UK VPN now but iPlayer won't even load when I try to use the proxy as suggested in that article. I reckon there's something I haven't set up correctly but I'm betting there's some info missing from those instructions unfortunately.

Anyone else tried to get their PS3 to connect through a VPN on their laptop?

Firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

Thanks for banning the idiot,i managed to set up a uk account on ps3 using hotmail.co.uk email address and made up uk address and read postcode even get the iplayer logo on my xmb but when i go to play video dont work oh btw to get the iplayer logo on xmb you need to go to account management activativate ,and video activate the i player will appear.all i need now is the correct settings for a uk proxy and what port

• Advertisement
Advertisement