Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licensing in Ireland

• 02-01-2012 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

OK, I cant seem to get my head around this..

"If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it."

I have a TV in which i do not watch LIVE,, I just use it to play the Xbox.. do not have Sky.. nor RTE TV3.. But yet am i still required to hold a licence ? in the UK, if you have a TV and not Watch Live TV then you are not required to hold one does this rule apply for here aswell ? so if a TV License guy called to my House,

I am not required to leave him in to the house nor give my name, and if asked do i hold a TV License i can just tell him i dont need a tv license, that im not required to give a reason why.. or do i need to buy a TV that can not be Tuned into getting RTE ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Cork24 wrote: »
    ... "If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. ...
    Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz

If you have a dog you need a licence whether it walks, barks or not.

If you prefer UK law, move there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

mathepac wrote: »
    Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz

If you have a dog you need a licence whether it walks, barks or not.

If you prefer UK law, move there

Dogs are considered property and are required to be registered under a license.

Do you own a Radio and do you have a License for that ?

I would like to knw is if i dont have RTE or no means for getting a Signal on my TV then their is really no need for a TV License which goes to RTE to pay for the likes of Pat Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do you own a Radio and do you have a License for that ?

I would like to knw is if i dont have RTE or no means for getting a Signal on my TV then their is really no need for a TV License which goes to RTE to pay for the likes of Pat Kenny

The TV licence replaces the radio license which was compulsory for all those with radios in the state..can't remember the dates that it changed, know we were told about it in college.

The licence fee you pay by law if you own a television set does not just pay for RTE TV & radio, it also funds orchestras, choirs and independent broadcasters and producers. It is not an optional fee, it is the law.

mathepac wrote: »
    Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz ...
    The answer was there, can you get your little head around that.

If you'd ever bought a licence you'd know that you pay An Post on behalf of the Minister for Communications or whatever that portfolio is called now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

my tv can receive a signal but the house i live in does not have a signal to receive as their is no Sky box nor a Cable coming into the house as it was cut years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

you own a TV - you need a license

facepalm_4__large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

The law is clear. If you have a TV, you need a TV licence.

The law is clear about what you can and can't say to the TV licence man. You are required to state in writing whether you have or have not a TV. It is an offence to lie on that form. (I can't remember what part of what Act that is from now). You may not say "I don't require one" if you want, but if An Post sends you (via registered post or in person) the form under the act, you can either not send it back (and commit and offence) or must state whether you have or have not a TV, and it's an offence to lie.

If you want to find a way around it, get rid of your TV, get a big monitor, and try to play games on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

my tv can receive a signal

Therefore, you need a license, by law.

Just get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

newbie2 wrote: »
    you own a TV - you need a license

facepalm_4__large.jpg

If it doesn't have a tuner though?

Q. Do I require a television Licence even though I am unable to receive RTÉ and other Irish regulated broadcasts?
    A. Yes. The position is that once you are in possession of a television set capable of receiving television broadcasts, you are required to have a television licence. Effectively, it is the set that is licensed, not the ability to receive television broadcasts.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Television+Licence+FAQ.htm#6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

If you could prove your TV is a monitor you can get away with it.

All you have to do is.

Take down all the aerials and satellites, outside your house, anything that can receive or send a signal.

Hook up your xbox to the monitor, laptop, pc whatever you use for media.

Watch your films, tv shows, etc through xbmc, rte player, bbc player, navi x, icefilms through your pc,xbox etc.

Have a receipt for your tv/monitor saying it's monitor.Very important that part

Tell the tv license man to go **** himself you have a monitor, not a tv.

To beat it, before you let the dog out :D

MO-001-HS_200.jpg

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-001-HS

If you pay the license once they will hound you forever.

Get a monitor my friend, like me.

• Advertisement

Here is a 24" inch Philips Full HD monitor.

For 151 euro, 9 euro less than the License.

It has HDMI connection for your xbox, DVI, VGA for your pc, built in speakers.

philips-244e1sb-24-wide-tft-screen-5ms.jpg

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4591511/art/philips/244e1sb-24-full-hd-tft-sc.html

Sell your TV on adverts for as much as you can and your laughing:D

Wont cost you a cent.

Squall19 wrote: »
    If you could prove your TV is a monitor you can get away with it.

Have a receipt for your tv/monitor saying it's monitor.Very important that part

Tell the tv license man to go **** himself you have a monitor, not a tv.

:eek:

Incorrect. All false claims. If you have a TV, you have a TV, and you must have a TV license.

Buy a TV license, or end up in court.

Paulw wrote: »
    :eek:

Incorrect. All false claims. If you have a TV, you have a TV, and you must have a TV license.

Buy a TV license, or end up in court.

A monitor is not a TV.

Is a bicycle a motorbike?:)

Can I hook up a sky box or aerial to this.

No I can't

Not a TV

A monitor is not a TV.

Can I hook up a sky box or aerial to this.

No I can't

Not a TV

Correct, that's not a TV, and doesn't require a TV license.

However, that's not what the OP has. The OP has a TV, that is capable of receiving a TV signal, therefore needs a TV license. Maybe you missed that part. :rolleyes:

Paulw wrote: »
    Correct, that's not a TV, and doesn't require a TV license.

However, that's not what the OP has. The OP has a TV, that is capable of receiving a TV signal, therefore needs a TV license. Maybe you missed that part. :rolleyes:

The OP was talking about buying a new TV;)
    or do i need to buy a TV that can not be Tuned into getting RTE ?

All he has to do is sell his current TV, buy the monitor I linked for 151 euro and no TV license.Wont cost him a penny.

Monitor's are far better quality than TV's anyway.If your not going to use it as a TV get rid.

Plus

No 160 euro to pay to those crooks in charge.

The OP was talking about buying a new TV;)

No, the OP has a TV. See the opening post in the thread :rolleyes: -
    I have a TV

And -
    my tv can receive a signal

The OP has a TV and needs a TV license.

Yes he has a TV at the moment.

Moment, means for now.Not for ever.

OP want's a way around paying TV license and is willing to buy a TV that can not be tuned into getting RTE, eg a monitor.
    or do i need to buy a TV that can not be Tuned into getting RTE ?

I have a TV in which i do not watch LIVE,, I just use it to play the Xbox.

Why would he need a TV, when he doesn't need it, Xbox has a HDMI connection, as do all modern monitors.

OP needs to buy a monitor.

Just like you need to buy petrol for a petrol car, diesel for a diesel car.

Get it yet?

Or do you work for revenue and want his money?

Yes he has a TV at the moment...
    So he needs a TV licence at the moment. What else is there to know? His future plans or your suggestions are irrelevant to his current situation.
    ... OP want's a way around paying TV license and is willing to buy a TV that can not be tuned into getting RTE, eg a monitor...
    His licence has nothing whatsoever to do with receiving or viewing RTE or any other channel; it has to do with possession of a TV.
    ...Or do you work for revenue and want his money?
    Revenue do not get involved in TV licensing matters; these are dealt with exclusively by An Post on behalf of the Minister for Communications. Get it yet?

TV can be moved in 2 seconds so he doesn't a license at the moment:)

His current situation is he doesn't want to pay the license.

He needs a monitor, which are very cheap now.

What kind of an idiot pays for a TV license, when he doesn't need to.

Why do you want OP to waste his money?

Monitor = 150 euro for a good 24" for his XBOX

Tv license = 160 euro for nothing, but a ****ty piece of paper.

He is up 10 euro and has something to show for it, a brand new Full HD class monitor.

OP does not need a TV, he doesn't need a TV license.He needs a monitor.

Get it yet?

Some people are very clever:rolleyes:

OP

Just pay the TV license like all the great lads here have said.

Be a good boy and give the goverment your money, they need it badly to waste on **** and we must be good little boys.

I'm done here.

• Advertisement

... I'm done here.
    Thank Christ. I was about to ring the doc for Xanax (for both of us)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

my tv can receive a signal but the house i live in does not have a signal to receive as their is no Sky box nor a Cable coming into the house as it was cut years ago.
    You still have a signal coming into your house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

sorry for dragging up an old thread.

i dont have a tv, no aerial, no dish, no cable.

i however have a monitor i bought a long time ago but that has tv capabilities, however, its only used as a monitor for work.

do i need a tv licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spipov wrote: »
    sorry for dragging up an old thread.

i dont have a tv, no aerial, no dish, no cable.

i however have a monitor i bought a long time ago but that has tv capabilities, however, its only used as a monitor for work.

do i need a tv licence?

In theory yes. It's like having a gun with no shells, you'd still need a licence for the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

thanks very much, there goes 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Spipov wrote: »
    thanks very much, there goes 160.

Buy a monitor without tv capabilities instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Sorry to drag up an old thread again...

Recently moved into my own place. The TV I have was bought in NI, before Ireland switched to digital broadcasting. My TV's tuner can't receive Ireland's digital broadcasts. I have no TV receiver - no Sky, no UPC, no Freesat or any variant of terrestrial or satellite box; nor do I have broadband - I effectively have no means of receiving TV broadcast, nor streaming or downoading content.

Already started saving the stamps for the licence, but it seems bogus to me that my circumstances should necessitate a TV licence? Where do I stand?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

We got the largest monitors we could and also got a projector for movie night .

When the TV Licence harassment started I told him that

"We have a computer Monitor and stream content from online. we do not have a TV and there for do not require a TV licence.
    we will pay the broadcasting scam licence when that is introduced but do not need a TV licence."

That stopped the harassment for about a year, but they come back with other nonsense forms, they just don't believe that someone in this day and age can do without and idiot box and RTE, I ignore all communication from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread again...

Recently moved into my own place. The TV I have was bought in NI, before Ireland switched to digital broadcasting. My TV's tuner can't receive Ireland's digital broadcasts. I have no TV receiver - no Sky, no UPC, no Freesat or any variant of terrestrial or satellite box; nor do I have broadband - I effectively have no means of receiving TV broadcast, nor streaming or downoading content.

Already started saving the stamps for the licence, but it seems bogus to me that my circumstances should necessitate a TV licence? Where do I stand?

Thanks for any replies.

You still need a licence. You're welcome to challenge it in court, if you do and are sucessful please let us all know.
    iainBB wrote: »
    We got the largest monitors we could and also got a projector for movie night .

When the TV Licence harassment started I told him that

"We have a computer Monitor and stream content from online. we do not have a TV and there for do not require a TV licence.
    we will pay the broadcasting scam licence when that is introduced but do not need a TV licence."

That stopped the harassment for about a year, but they come back with other nonsense forms, they just don't believe that someone in this day and age can do without and idiot box and RTE, I ignore all communication from them.

It's someone doing their job, I told them the same in polite manner even invited him in for a cuppa, never heard from them again. I do wish people would learn a bit of civility goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

It's someone doing their job, I told them the same in polite manner even invited him in for a cuppa, never heard from them again. I do wish people would learn a bit of civility goes a long way.

just because they JOB is to call at homes that do not have TV licence over and over, asking details. sending many different letters with threatening language and legislation, faking/imitate court letters with stating illegal suggestive behavior over and over again.
    That is harassment.

I was polite the first 4 times. that quickly ran out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement