Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing programs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TommyGun wrote: »
    To compress a file is to make it smaller eg from mpeg2 to mp4 . To transpose a file is convert the file to an easier format to edit eg. from mp4 to mpeg2 or DVCPRO-HD the file size will be alot bigger. This makes it easier for a low powered pc to play and edit.

I'm well aware what compression and transcoding and converting and consolidation are thanks.

What you're saying is wrong though. Making a file bigger will not make it easier to play on a computer. Compressing it will not cause it to stutter on a computer. In fact compressing a video will reduce the quality, reduce the file size and then make it actually easier for a low powered computer to handle it. What you're talking about is transcoding to a new format. It's called transcoding, not transposing. Transposing is what you do with music.
    Transcoding a file will not always result in it becoming bigger - it very much depends on what format you're transcoding to and from. This may make it easier for a program to play it but not always.
    But transcoding isn't the direct opposite of compression and I don't really understand why you seem to be referring to it as such or even why you think compressing a file makes it harder to play. Clearly you don't actually understand what goes on when you compress or convert files.

Try to play a Full uncompressed HD file via Quicktime on a normal laptop. Then compress it using something like H.264 and try again.
    Which one plays easiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Compression won't cause a player to stutter. Compression will bring the file size down and actually make it easier to play.

As this is an editing section and not a question about delivery,
    all my answers where taken that the quality of the original footage is kept as much as possible, the same.

For example 21 bit AVCHD is extremely compressed format. It is so much for the processor to decompress and play at the same time without a power full processor. That's why depending on the implementation of the codec in the player or the editing suite, if you convert to DVCPRO-HD, there is no loss in quality, the file size has increased by maybe 4x, and the bit rate could be 200+.
    So what has happened is that the footage is now decompressed so it is easier to play and edit because the convert has done the calculations therefore easier to play and edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why didn't you just suggest that he 'transposes' the file instead of spouting nonsense about 'if you compress it' it will cause it to stutter more which is vague nonsense?

He wasn't asking about compressing it and warbling on about native compression of a format is not helping him any. Stating that compression will cause it to stutter is just silly because you have to clarify what you're talking about because there's so many different ways that something can be compressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Hmm, for AVCHD videos getting, editing, playing, this article must interest you:
    http://videoediting.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=911450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Any advice on what software to use based on these requirements and specs?

Camera:
    Canon HF-R16 (AVCHD)
    + some old mini dv tapes converted

Hardware:
    2009 Macbook 2.0 ghz
    4GB ram
    Geforce 9400M

Capability:
    Created a few projects in iMovie 08

Project:
    Amateur edit together wedding movie

Two aims:
    One 4/5 minute edit combining photos and video. Want to apply old 8mm effect to the sequence.
    Create raw edits divided into chapters: eg. speeches, church, afters etc.

Any advice on what would be best suited? I was leaning towards the new version of iMovie (read it had 'aged' film effects built in) but have some concern over incompatibility with Canon HD outputs.

I am not wedded to editing in AVCHD if I don't have the horsepower for it. Do you think that mac is capable enough?

All advice appreciated.

Quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 bennz

Do you mean Adobe Encore

Sony Vegas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 karablack037

I have seen lots of peoples are using Windows Movie Maker for editing videos, but it has limited features only. I would like to suggest Adobe Premier and Final Cut Pro for editing Videos. These software are mainly using among professional editors and film industry. Once you have learn to edit using this software, you can bright your career in video editing and visual media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Crazy World

Personally i love the Adobe products. Premiere Pro and Encore. Starting to learn After Effects also.

Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I'd been looking for a package to edit HD Camera movies recently.
    Tried Video Studio PRO x4 and PowerDirector.

I was drawn to Powerdirector as it had 64 bit and I hoped it would render faster.

I had used Videostudio x3 and wasnt overly happy with its stability but I tried pro x4 anyway and found it much more stable.
    Even though its not 64 bit it used all cores and didnt run out of RAM.
    Rendering was way faster (even though I had added in SSD and uped ram to 8gb) than either x3 or powerdirector.

The biggest issue I had with Powerdirector was there seemed to be a 1/2 sec blip between clips in playback even when exported to a file. A show stopper for me.

I think video studio is way better than the old x3 or powerdirector.
    I even went for the ulimate bundle with extras and PSP x4.
    Very happy with the video software, Paintshop Pro x4 is so so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Personally i love the Adobe products. Premiere Pro and Encore. Starting to learn After Effects also.

Crazy

Is it just me or is After Effects the hardest program in the world to learn.Theres just so many possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Crazy World

Chavways wrote: »

Crazy

Is it just me or is After Effects the hardest program in the world to learn.Theres just so many possibilities.

No your right there but that's the beauty of it. You can do so much with it. I only know from looking at tutorials and samples online but I have a course next week on it and after that it's practice practice practice. And loads of tutorials on one screen following along on the other. The only way to learn these tools in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 phatrat1982

I all, I am new here and I have some questions. I am currently studying video editing in school well I will be shortly it's part of my major. Anyways I currently have Sony Vegas 10 and that is what I have been using forever, started with Acid 2.0, switched to Vegas from Acid around version 6 and have stuck with it mostly for video editing. I still have Vegas 6 on my old machine but I prefer 10 it's so much better in every way.

Anyways here is the deal I do intend to get into the business someday after college and our school uses all MAC software and so far I have had some difficulty adjusting to the MAC OS from Windows. Since switching to Windows 7 recently using MAC has gotten some what less confusing, I was previously stuck on Windows XP. So what I am wondering is if I am used to Sony Vegas how easy would it be for me to adjust to say Adobe's product as that is what our school is really about they apparently teach everything Adobe.

What I mean is would I have a hard time switching from Vegas or would it be something that I could adjust to relatively easily? I mostly ask because if a lot of people tell me the switch is relatively painless then I will keep using Vegas for myself and use the stuff the school gives me at school otherwise if people tell me Vegas and Adobe are two different ball games I might just pick up a copy of the Adobe product myself and get a heads up feel for it.

Also does anyone in the industry use Vegas or is it really not a respected as the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Also does anyone in the industry use Vegas or is it really not a respected as the others?

I use it & have stuff on RTE, TV3, Etc

It's becoming more respected by the day (about time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eleven1

i like Adobe programs , premiere , after effects... or u can try sony vegas , youtube has plenty of video tutorials. also if u r doin HD videos & long videos, you should have a good cpu + plenty of ram . this will help when rendering the videos .

Any one good at Encore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tom Harward

have you got anything fully free to edit videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Hi there,

I appreciate your reply. Can I just ask you one other thing. I got Mpeg Streamclip to transcode my .mov files from the 7D. Is there a safe, or preferable file type that's ideal for Premier?

This is all new to me. And, as for applications doing the transcoding for you, what ones do? Are you automatically prompted as you import video?

Thanks for the link aswell :D

MPEG Streamclip is your god. Compress to Pro Res 422 as h.264 can be niggly, even if an application says it has native support for it. Go to advanced settings or options and then adjust accordingly. I usually keep my quality at either high or higher, as it keeps artifacts at bay especially when you're uploading to YouTube. Also, change your audio settings as well because the default setting is 44000KHz and you should have it at 48000KHz.
    Your files will probably become 3-4 times bigger because of the pro res codec but it'll perform perfectly for you. Then export using the media encoder with your editing software, I usually encode back to h.264 as it holds the quality at a smaller size.

I'm going to be making a video tutorial on MPEG Streamclip in the next few days so anyone that needs help with encoding it should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

I all, I am new here and I have some questions. I am currently studying video editing in school well I will be shortly it's part of my major. Anyways I currently have Sony Vegas 10 and that is what I have been using forever, started with Acid 2.0, switched to Vegas from Acid around version 6 and have stuck with it mostly for video editing. I still have Vegas 6 on my old machine but I prefer 10 it's so much better in every way.

Anyways here is the deal I do intend to get into the business someday after college and our school uses all MAC software and so far I have had some difficulty adjusting to the MAC OS from Windows. Since switching to Windows 7 recently using MAC has gotten some what less confusing, I was previously stuck on Windows XP. So what I am wondering is if I am used to Sony Vegas how easy would it be for me to adjust to say Adobe's product as that is what our school is really about they apparently teach everything Adobe.

What I mean is would I have a hard time switching from Vegas or would it be something that I could adjust to relatively easily? I mostly ask because if a lot of people tell me the switch is relatively painless then I will keep using Vegas for myself and use the stuff the school gives me at school otherwise if people tell me Vegas and Adobe are two different ball games I might just pick up a copy of the Adobe product myself and get a heads up feel for it.

It doesn't really matter which application you use once you know your codecs and video formats and whether your application supports these or not.

A lot of places recommend using such and such application but it's only because of their in house systems. So if you're a freelance editor and you're doing work for a production house and they use Vegas then it's recommended you use the same application.......but.......each application has the option to allow you to export the code of the edit onto an XML file which is readable by other applications. You import the file into the application and the changes should be made, it's handy as hell and saved my bacon a few times. A lot of people will recommend you stick with the big 3 - Vegas, Premier, FCP.

I recommend you look at what work you want to do. If you're a hobbyist then there's no need to invest x amount of money in a pro application because it will probably be redundant for a lot of the features and you've blown a lot of money on a nice shiny new car that's only going to be driven on Sundays.
    If you want to make professional videos then I recommend checking out some tutorials first at each application and see which one works easiest for you. A lot of applications are the same with some GUI differences and of course name, but it just comes down to what you want to do.

It's not that hard to adjust when switching once you're familiar with the functions of your application. I haven't used FCP X yet so I don't know how this would conform.

I'm a big fan of premiere myself, only because it integrates nicely with AE and has some really nice options. I was using FCP 5,6 & 7 for most of my work and found the transition quite easy. Keyboard shortcuts were frustrating as hell but you go along with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Using AVS at the mo instead of movie maker, just for simple things. love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

for mac, final cut pro...for windows, sony vegas pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Dont really know if i'm posting this in the correct place, but i'm a complete noob to the video editing area. Just wondering how to go about blurring faces from a small low budget video ad i'm helping a friend with.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Information, process, software etc...

All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Blurring face in the video?
    Then maybe you could lower the quality?
    I use video tools from aneesoft, do some simple editings well, but don't know if this is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Bellu wrote: »
    Blurring face in the video?
    Then maybe you could lower the quality?
    I use video tools from aneesoft, do some simple editings well, but don't know if this is OK.

I think I may not have explained my situation clearly. I want to blur the faces of 'bystanders' so as they will not be readily identifiable in the video, much the same as you might see in t.v. shows, such as street crime uk etc... Any idea of how to go about this and what software could use. Also Is if very labour intensive. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Username99 wrote: »
    I think I may not have explained my situation clearly. I want to blur the faces of 'bystanders' so as they will not be readily identifiable in the video, much the same as you might see in t.v. shows, such as street crime uk etc... Any idea of how to go about this and what software could use. Also Is if very labour intensive. Thanks again

In very broad terms - you can do it by duplicating the video layer, applying a blur effect to it and then applying a mask to it so it only covers the face and then shows through to the unblurred layer underneath. You will then have to track the mask so it stays with the person as they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Depending how many people and how neatly you want to do it, it could take you hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jessica0

Video file merging can be done easily and quickly with a piece of free open source software called VirtualDub.
    VirtualDub is the video equivalent of Audacity. You can use it to edit your video files any way you want them – you can merge the video files, split them, save the source audio, capture screenshots, fix the colouring in the video footage and much more.

It’s worth taking some time to explore VirtualDub in depth if you’re serious about video footage editing. I use VirtualDub, for example, to edit my videos after filming on my video camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jessica0

I will show you how to split video files (also see how to split regular files to pieces) into separate files which is also an extremely handy skill to practice.

Please note that the video files in question HAVE to be “avi” files.
    When you have opened VirtualDub, go to File–>Open Video File.

Now upload the first “avi” file you want to have in your new video file.
    Next, go to File–>Append AVI segment :

Now upload the second “avi” file you want to have in your new video file.
    If you have more than 2 files, continue to return to File–>Append AVI segment and attach as many files as you want. Watch the size of the new file though! Don’t let it get too big!
    When you have attached all the files together into one big new file,the next step is to go to Video–>Direct Stream Copy. If you don’t choose this option and go for the default “Full Processing Mode”, you’ll be waiting for ever for your new file to be made. A DSC on the other hand will be made for you in less than 60 seconds (often a lot less) :

Finally, go to File–>Save Segmented AVI to save your work to your computer :

Put in a new name for your new combined file and then VirtualDub will get to work, merging all the files into one big one for you.
    Once it’s finished, test it and you’ll see that the merging was so good, you don’t even see any disturbance in the picture where one file ended and another began! There will be the odd occasion though when the sound may get out of sync a little but some advanced users may be able to quickly fix that problem. I am not knowledgable enough to be able to fix sound synchronisation problems.
    VirtualDub is an amazing piece of free software. Along with Audacity, you have all you need to edit and put together video and audio on your computer – without any of it costing you a single penny. I highly recommend you download this app to your computer and take the time to go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 victormorgan

When you are looking for the perfect video software there are three main aspects to consider: import abilities, editing features and export options. Each of these elements is important for creating and sharing professional-looking videos, so we looked for products that include tools and features to address these needs. To ensure we recommend only video editing software that has all the features you need in an easy-to-use interface.

tiener autoverzekering politiek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Updated my mac system to 10.7.3 and it wont run my final cut pro 7 anymore says pc power or something is no longer catered for anyone else having this problemo?

Advertisement