Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"boy racers" not welcome?

• 29-04-2012 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

With the risk of opening a whole can of worms;

527894_398589656829549_212347968787053_1377427_1350138868_n.jpg

This was printed in the program for the Killarney rally of the lakes. It has caused huge debate in some circle's and wondering what ye guys thought of it (be nice!)

Me personally I think some people are picking it up wrong. It's aimed at people doing things that are illegal on public roads. I've seen it with my own 2 eye's he in Donegal over rally weekend a main road was blocked for a few hours due to people lining up and doing donuts at a wide part or the road, hundreds of car's watching and taking part = road blocked. The problem lays with Joe Public who then makes the assumption that edjits are associated with rallying when in truth they don't tend to go to any stage's of the rally at all, they use it as an excuse to pile into every junction and throw a few hoops. The club have every right to try and end the association between the 2, "boy racers" + rallying.

Here's where people are getting wound up about it, they believe they are saying anyone with a modified car "stay away" far from it. I see a boy racer as someone who has no regard for the rules of the road and will throw hoops at every chance they get, they are also more likely to have no tax ect ect. Whereas someone with a modified (or even unmodified) car that looks nice and is taken car of is classed as a car enthusiast. Big big difference IMO. The enthusiast's tend not to mess at all (outside of a controlled environment at least).

So what say ye boardsies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Every single rally I have been martialling at has had issues and has had complaints from locals not in regard to the rally itself
    In relation to some of the people it draws.

The last Galway international rally I stayed with a friend in the country actually on one of the stages. A number of cars flew down the road at all hours flat and loud. So much so the locals put up signs as complaint reminding people of the speed limit. The usual diffing and messing went on all over Galway also you’d need to be deaf not to notice.

I’m a little bit old but remember when the Galway rally was cancelled due to messing in Salthill.

Btw as a former modified car owner (between cars), Rally folk are car enthusiasts and can tell the difference between an enthusiast and
    a muppet.

Unfortunately the world is not short of Muppets and it only takes a handful to ruin something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Look like they picked it up absolutely right.

It says protect your sport - report boy racers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Lazy & unthoughtful effort imo.
    If they block off all the car parks and similar opened area's theirs only one place left for them to go and that's the public road. Give them the safer option at least and let them have a open area somewhat away from the populous where AGS have a presence but let the diffin etc continue. The racing would be harder to stem out but they surely the AGS would know the hot spots for this activity by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I think its been seen by some people that the locals and gards are going to use it as an excuse to (for lack of a better word) ban any car that is a "boy racer" car or even someone who looks like a "boy racer" .. which could be slightly slanderous if it happens to be the wrong person,

I also think the more naive of you people eg the fellas going down to go messing, have an image of garda checkpoints outside town turning away cars,

But i think it's a good move by the organizers, when i was younger it was always "are you going to the lakes, there'll be loads of messing, you can get away with anything" an image it really needs to shake off, and they have made a good start at it over the last few years... as over the last two years it has been easier to spot the "boy racers" and MCE, because the "boy racers" are pushed further and further out of town, where as the MCE are usually parked or asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They got the photo spot on in picking one of a Twin Cam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I don't see why people that own a modified car are getting wound up about it. It clearly states "boy racers" and if a modified car enthusiast is getting offended, are they not putting themselves in the eejit category?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Denise90 wrote: »
    I don't see why people that own a modified car are getting wound up about it. It clearly states "boy racers" and if a modified car enthusiast is getting offended, are they not putting themselves in the eejit category?

I agree - the organisers do not want dangerous immature boy racer activities to tarnish the sport of rallying. Modify the car all you want - just don't be an árse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I’m delighted that Killarney rally of the lakes are actually putting this out there & distancing themselves from the trouble-making antics of these boy-racers.
    It is long over-due that the powers that be in Irish Rallying openly and actively did something to prevent the sport being hijacked by boy racers who land at events, burning donuts, breaking the law and generally making a public nuisance of themselves while being associated with rallying which has a difficult enough existence getting event insurance, competitor numbers, road closing orders, garda assistance, residential cooperation, crowd acceptance… etc.

Boy Racers – you are NOT welcome, this has been spelled out for you.

If you want to gather & do donuts (and whatever else floats your particular boats), organise your own events with insurance, closed areas, services areas, garda cooperation, residential approval etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Don't know what you mean by that, is every 86 driver in the country automatically a boy racer?
    That's the sort of attitude that I'd be against.

I'm definitely on the side of the rally with this one but picking out certain cars and saying you don't want them around in case they're boy racers is just ridiculous, not to mention defamation of character.
    There needs to be a stronger Garda presence and a tougher fist going down when they come across people acting the maggot.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean by that, is every 86 driver in the country automatically a boy racer?

I'm definitely on the side of the rally with this one but picking out certain cars and saying you don't want them around in case they're boy racers is just ridiculous, not to mention defamation of character.
    There needs to be a stronger Garda presence and a tougher fist going down when they come across people acting the maggot.

This is all well & good, but rallying is a non-profit sport which is largely run by volunteers and for the benefit of the sport.

If you have been to any of the international TROA events you will be well aware of what the organisers are trying to highlight - trouble-making, law-breaking, donutting twincam drivers and their ilk.

(Not all twincam/modified drivers but I'd hazard a stab at a 80-90% figure ...apologies to the other 10-20% for any offence caused, this message is not aimed at the rally fans & law-abiding citizens...twincam drivers or other).

Simple fact is that if they stay away - the club has achieved it's aim - Protecting their event, an event with a proud history & years of good relations with local authorities and residents which is being put at risk by people who are not interested in the sport and are using/abusing events to their own ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CianRyan wrote: »

You're right in the matter that it comes down to the person not the car, but certain cars are more prone to ending up in the hands of these clowns.

Not all 86 owners are, but more than a fair share of them are owned by idiots. Same goes for civics - there's plenty of tits going around in tarted up 1.4s with exhausts you can hear for miles away, that doesn't mean the SiR/Type R owners are all tits too, nor does it mean that anyone with a SiR/Type R is incapable of being a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Please explain.

nor does it mean that anyone with a SiR/Type R is incapable of being a tit.

Nor is any motorist, given the right circumstantial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Please explain.

TBH, nearly everyone I see in a Twin Cam, today included, drives like a tit. Flat out everywhere. You don't buy a car like that to drive 30mph to the shops. It's bought for it's drifting/diffing ability and nothing more. That's the buying motive, and unfortunately that's what they're used for - showboating.

I've had to report a Twin Cam to the Gards for tearing up the hard shoulder in Cork at 100mph, and swinging across to the overtaking lane between cars in heavy traffic and then slamming on the brakes. I've also had to report one for doing donuts before on the way into Fermoy when there was roadworks - the lane exiting was empty, cue one muppet drifting the entire way the other direction just for the hell of it.

Owen wrote: »
    You don't buy a car like that to drive 30mph to the shops. It's bought for it's drifting/diffing ability and nothing more. That's the buying motive, and unfortunately that's what they're used for - showboating.

That's a generalization, i know of 2 people that own them as Show cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Of course it's a generalisation. I'm well aware it is.

Unfortunately, the majority of Twin Cam owners are twats. So while it is a generalisation, and there are a few exceptions - that's it. There's a few. The dogs on the street know most Twin Cam owners act the maggot when they know they can get away with it. Trying to hide it behind political correctness 'oh, not everyone's like that' is retarded.

I was just pointing it out, not trying to hide it behind anything, the vast majority of ae86 owners are you lads driving the nuts out of them BUT there are people who aren't, this is where trouble might start at the rally with some Stuarts, Joe & Mary Soap, going there's a boy racer, call they guards, they are banned from town this weekend,

it seems to single out the ae86, buy a lot of people know there many different cars used.
    Then again, it appears they also used a mustang in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

De Hipster wrote: »
    I’m delighted that Killarney rally of the lakes are actually putting this out there & distancing themselves from the trouble-making antics of these boy-racers.
    It is long over-due that the powers that be in Irish Rallying openly and actively did something to prevent the sport being hijacked by boy racers who land at events, burning donuts, breaking the law and generally making a public nuisance of themselves while being associated with rallying which has a difficult enough existence getting event insurance, competitor numbers, road closing orders, garda assistance, residential cooperation, crowd acceptance… etc.

Boy Racers – you are NOT welcome, this has been spelled out for you.

If you want to gather & do donuts (and whatever else floats your particular boats), organise your own events with insurance, closed areas, services areas, garda cooperation, residential approval etc, etc.

Agree 100%!! One good thing about the increase in the price of petrol is that it has forced a lot of these clowns off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Owen wrote: »
    Of course it's a generalisation. I'm well aware it is.

Unfortunately, the majority of Twin Cam owners are twats. So while it is a generalisation, and there are a few exceptions - that's it. There's a few. The dogs on the street know most Twin Cam owners act the maggot when they know they can get away with it. Trying to hide it behind political correctness 'oh, not everyone's like that' is retarded.

couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

The 86 was picked because it has a long history of doughnutting in car parks going back to the 80s.
    If you were going to pick a car for the advert it would be that or something with a wing the size of a 747.

Once again it only takes a handful of muppets to give everyone a bad name.
    I genuinely hope they do get reported its the only way things will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

yep i'm in that boat, hate them (the idiot ones ) though the majority of the lads girls are sensible and fair play to them they could well be on the town making trouble etc, as for the idiots who go around speeding in their noisy cars there the ones who make it harder for the sensible ones to enjoy their cars after all I'M sure enough money has gone into them as people tent to think all lads/girls are "boy racers" which isin't the case. By no means am I "boy racer" or do I drive a suped up car, just jumping to the defence of a small handful of people I happen to be friends with and are responsible with their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm a genuine car lover and have had lots of sports cars(skylines , silvias, etc) over the last ten years,I'm now 31 but still enjoy the bit of crack but never acted the mick in any of my cars as I'm also a mechanic.
    I think ye are missing the point of what revenue and money this brings to Killarney for that weekend so if they clamp down hard on every modified car then it will be a to total flop next year.
    And it's 80% of the lads with the modified cars that bring the money in to the town each spending prob €500 that weekend.
    I do agree they should have some car park rented for messing as it would be safer and keep it off the roads.
    Roll on the weekend

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I'm a genuine car lover and have had lots of sports cars(skylines , silvias, etc) over the last ten years,I'm now 31 but still enjoy the bit of crack but never acted the mick in any of my cars as I'm also a mechanic.
    I think ye are missing the point of what revenue and money this brings to Killarney for that weekend so if they clamp down hard on every modified car then it will be a to total flop next year.
    And it's 80% of the lads with the modified cars that bring the money in to the town each spending prob €500 that weekend.
    I do agree they should have some car park rented for messing as it would be safer and keep it off the roads.
    Roll on the weekend

Killarney has long battled with the local community groups to maintain one of the longest standing and best rally events this country has to offer.

Clamping down on muppets who arrive in large groups with modified motors who then set to camping beside the venue, setting camp fire in residential areas, creating havoc on the roads and generally making a nuisance of themselves who also have little or no interest in the sporting event is causing major PR & garda liaison issues locally and threatening the future of the event is a good thing.

Killarney & District Motor Club is not & should not be responsible for arranging venues for diffing etc which is not related to the event itself - believe me organising a rally of the scale of Killarney is plenty of work in itself...should they also arrange taxis to the stages for spectators who drink and consider driving?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

David, that's just all wrong. The only place that is likely to benefit is mc Donald or kfc. The messers don't buy a program, don't stay in hotels or a b&b they don't go out and don't even buy their drink they bring it with them most of the time.

All they are interested in is diffing. They stay up to all hours then sleep in their cars, usually during the day.

They would not be missed in the slightest revenue wise . Did anyone else see the poster they done up(its too vulgar to put up here). Sayi ng kdmc are xxxx a mans face with an x through it saying wxxker not welcome. And best of all is "protect our good name, keep her sideways see you all on mols gap".

my fear now is they will block a few stages and get them cancelled.

David, that's just all wrong. The only place that is likely to benefit is mc Donald or kfc. The messers don't buy a program, don't stay in hotels or a b&b they don't go out and don't even buy their drink they bring it with them most of the time.

All they are interested in is diffing. They stay up to all hours then sleep in their cars, usually during the day.

They would not be missed in the slightest revenue wise . Did anyone else see the poster they done up(its too vulgar to put up here). Sayi ng kdmc are xxxx a mans face with an x through it saying wxxker not welcome. And best of all is "protect our good name, keep her sideways see you all on mols gap".

my fear now is they will block a few stages and get them cancelled.

This is exactly the issue...they have NO interest in Motorsport or the preservation of the sport. They also have no measurable idea of the damage they are causing to the good name of clubs like KDMC and the previous goodwill built up over the years with councils, garda, residents etc.

Rallying will pay the ultimate price here while these little scrotes will eventually grow up, move on and become regular members of society once the appeal of modding & diffing on public roads has worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I think ye are picking it up wrong , I know hundreds of lads that have b&b and hotel booked but yes they are not boy racers but are car enthusiasts that's my point.
    Yes u will get messers but they are just idiots.
    My point is us that are big car enthusiasts should not be painted with the same brush.

I think ye are picking it up wrong , I know hundreds of lads that have b&b and hotel booked but yes they are not boy racers but are car enthusiasts that's my point.
    My point is us that are big car enthusiasts should not be painted with the same brush.

David, I think you are picking it up wrong...if you are not the stereotypical boy-racer who diffs & donuts @ all hours of the day & night on public roads then the poster is not aimed at you.

Bring your car to the rally, attend the stages, obey the marshalls request & drive like a civilised human being while enjoying the rally & related entertainment & people will plainly see that you are a rally fan and not a threat to the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thats the point of my OP, lol.

This poster / ad is calling for the boy racers to stay away. I've seen lots of discussions about this where people are "up in arms" about it saying exactly what you say, don't paint everyone with the same brush. But again this ad is aimed at boy racers not car enthusiast's.

Joe soap tar's all people involved with rallying with the one brush, by associating differs and the rally crowd as one. The point of the ad is to show Joe Soap that rallying is distancing itself from the differs!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Ok lets just point out the lack of thought that went into this:

It has a photo of a car at a controlled event (notice tyres in the backround). A controlled event just like a rally, the driver is doing nothing wrong in the photo.

It uses the phrase 'boy racer' which is a lazy cop-out wording for the add.

Personally I think the biggest problem associated with the rally is the drunkeness that decends onto the town over the weekend. Every year 30-40 and upwards are arrested for Public Order offences and you can bet your bottom dollar that half of these arrests rally bridgade 'subaru jacket' and any other jacket that they wear to feel part of a team the sit on a ditch and ogle over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 21121993

GAS OUT!!! ALL THE OTHER VIDEOS OF RALLY DRIVERS "MESSING" IN **PUBLIC** PLACES HAVE BEEN REMOVED BAR THIS, WHICH ISNT TOO BAD BUT HAVE SEEN THE VIDEOS BEFORE OF THIS MK2 ON CROSSROADS, WHILE CARS ARE PASSING... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9m647obOMg and another too add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibhs1vA99f4&feature=related and again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbV5J3UJHBo&feature=related

Advertisement