Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unexplained : Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time Partworks series

• 17-04-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Does anyone remember the 1980-1982 Orbis Publishing partwork series called The Unexplained : Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time?

It was reprinted in the 1990s (by Orbis) in volume editions.One of the better partworks series of the 1980s!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the 1980-1982 Orbis Publishing partwork series called The Unexplained : Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time?

It was reprinted in the 1990s (by Orbis) in volume editions.One of the better partworks series of the 1980s!
    Yes my dad got the whole volume editions in a car boot sale years ago.Interesting read,but a lot of the stuff dosent stand up to close scrutiny.A lot of proto Dan Brown stuff about Knights Templar and the holy grail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i remember those - my brother used to collect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

maccored wrote: »
    i remember those - my brother used to collect them.

They were also re-published in 1985. I bought the lot.

Great flexidisc - BREAKTHROUGH: An amazing experiment in Electronic Communication with the dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRGZQ8H2-0A

ZENTA ZENTA

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    They were also re-published in 1985. I bought the lot.

Great flexidisc - BREAKTHROUGH: An amazing experiment in Electronic Communication with the dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRGZQ8H2-0A

ZENTA ZENTA
    God ,that was creepy.Another thing in the magazine that freaked me out was this story about a cottage in Spain where all these ghostly faces were appearing on the walls.They showed photos of a couple of them and though they're clearly faked they still look very eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Jaygon2009

It is actually two particular articles I'm trying to trace, one was on the Cottingley Fairies and the Other was called 'reincarnated twins' was hoping someone might have the issues to hand and would be maybe willing to do a scan of those particular articles

• Advertisement

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    It is actually two particular articles I'm trying to trace, one was on the Cottingley Fairies and the Other was called 'reincarnated twins' was hoping someone might have the issues to hand and would be maybe willing to do a scan of those particular articles
    The Cottingley fairies one was up on Ebay a couple of days ago when I looked.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

The 'volume' editions do confuse me as I'm not sure how many 'volumes' there were in the reprinted series. I do know that the original had over 3000 pages when you put all the various issues together but not sure where to start if ordering a reprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I got a few editions of this back in the day.

Saw them recently at the folks place whilst looking for something else.

I'll check them out next time I'm there.

Great! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    ZENTA ZENTA
    Oh Jaysus, how I nearly shat myself there, thanks a heap. I remember the original TV ad for this back in 1981 that featured that particular creepy EVP.

I collected as many of these as a kid that my pocket money would allow.

Then, around 1992, I saw a complete *bound* collection come up on Buy & Sell (remember that?!?) in Templemore for £50. I was on it like a shot. I still have the original flexidisc, and I was lucky enough to get a first English language edition of Raudive's Breakthrough and the very rare Keep on Talking.

I don't know why anyone would still be interested in the Cottingley fairies - they were debunked years ago, I remember something about one of the original sisters writing a letter confessing to the whole thing being a fake which was only discovered in the 1990's.

• Advertisement

In the mid 80's there was a similar monthly collectable title that was all about mass murderers.The first issue was about the Yorkshire ripper and they had this ad with sinister music. RTE pulled the ad after complaints on mailbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

That brings back memories. I used to get the Unexplained mags, in 84 Orbis published the Unexplained stories in book form. I had a quick look up in the attic and I still have 3 books, Life after Death, The Alien World ( theres a whole chapter on the men in black) and Creatures from Elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

darkdubh wrote: »
    In the mid 80's there was a similar monthly collectable title that was all about mass murderers.The first issue was about the Yorkshire ripper and they had this ad with sinister music. RTE pulled the ad after complaints on mailbag.

I think it was Murder Casebook - I remember buying the first one with Peter Sutcliffe. Around 1989 / 1990 I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This appeared in Dunnes Stores over xmas in 1979-1980..in spite of the tacky appearance there were some really good articles and very well written too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Haven't forgotten you OP.:)

I found the first volume (pages 1 to 340) at the folks place just now.

It's in blue hardback, seems to be from 1986 & published by ORBIS.

I gave a quick flick thru it & unfortunately the articles you're after don't seem to be in it.

I could swear that I've a few more down there somewhere & I'll give more of a search at a later date.

In the meantime, you can have Vol. 1 gratis, if you wish.

Hey, thanks so much on both counts! I'll PM you!

Advertisement