Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women only gyms in Dublin?

• 13-07-2005 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just wondering does anybody know of any?
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

one in o'connell st near the gpo

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Doubt we'll see the Equality Tribunal bringing them to court!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Isn't there one beside Portmarnock Golf Club? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sleipnir wrote:
    Isn't there one beside Portmarnock Golf Club? ;)

Nice one! Was wondering if some one would take my fastball!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There is one in Raheny, can't recall the name but I'll find out. It rotates men one day, women the next. The total fitness on the malahide road has a women only section in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

theres a womens gym in donnybrook beside the fire brigade station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

FX Meister wrote:
    There is one in Raheny, can't recall the name but I'll find out. It rotates men one day, women the next. The total fitness on the malahide road has a women only section in it.
    Slender Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

are Curves women only? a few women in work were talkin bout one in/near dundrum that does that 30 minute thing. actually, its not a proper gym, more a room that has 10 different pieces of equipment. apparently u do 3 mins on each of the 10 pieces of equipment and its meant to cover ur total fitness needs or something like that. like speed dating except with exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

drdre wrote:
    theres a womens gym in donnybrook beside the fire brigade station

Sweet jesus!

I was just thinking of that place!

Must be the best gym in the city for girls, as all the girls that use it are damn fine!! :D

Anyone ever see the babes that come out of this place?!

I have 5 words - Holy Sweet Mother Of Jaysus!! :eek:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The_B_Man wrote:
    are Curves women only?
    Aye, yes they are. I was gonna say i've seen one on James St. , near the hospital and seen another somewhere in town iirc. Pretty popular also it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Do you mind me asking why would you want to go to a women only gym? Is it because of guys staring or that you would just be more comfertable?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

joejoem wrote:
    Do you mind me asking why would you want to go to a women only gym? Is it because of guys staring or that you would just be more comfertable?

Best answered by AlienGav...........although I have to say I agree with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

minotour wrote:
    Best answered by AlienGav...........although I have to say I agree with him!

lol

I don't mind that there's guys in my gym. In fact there's far more guys than girls. I don't see them staring at any cute girls, they just go there to do what they want to do. I think some girls are a bit paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thebuyer

theres a curves on walkinstown roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Curves sounds very boring according to this link... and further down in the article it mentions the company's scary right-wing policies regarding the promotion of pro-life and abstinence programmes. There's a lot more info out there on this, most notably on Salon.com Also, look at this!

Not for me!

Also... I think the women's only gym in O'Connell Street has been closed. I haven't been up that side of town in a little while though, so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i can understand where she's coming from. my sports bra is unfortunately not as padded as i'd like it to be, hence all male eyes are on my chest as i walk past because my nipples and nipple piercing are pretty obvious through my light t-shirts for working out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Seraphina wrote:
    all male eyes are on my chest as i walk past because my nipples and nipple piercing are pretty obvious through my light t-shirts for working out.
    :D ah ye gotta love the power of the female form... I can just see all the DB's crashing to the floor as you walk by... ;)

still, mixed gyms are great for showing the boys that yes, girls can lift, and look damn good when they're doing it. And its got to the stage where I've gotten quite used to all my boys playing their 'best ass on the treadmill' game while they're *ahem* 'resting' between sets.

In fact I often join in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

g'em wrote:
    And its got to the stage where I've gotten quite used to all my boys playing their 'best ass on the treadmill' game while they're *ahem* 'resting' between sets.

its the best spectator sport in the world :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Amen to that! It's the best part of the gym! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Not being disrespectful but what is the point in having a single sex gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Profiles on O'Connell Street is definitely still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Boru.

Simple really. Aside form the fact that many women feel uncomfortable working out around men, not just from a personal aesthetic point of view, but the fact is everyday in the gym I see more and more guys there to leer, and hit on the girls who are trying to train properly (and may I add more often doing a better job).

Secondly there is a religious point of view to consider. Several religions place restrictions on women as to what they wear and how much flesh they show in public. One of the reasons Profiles, as mentioned above is so successful is because they understand this need. You can't really work up a good sweat if your shawl covers all of your face but your eyes, and your dress only permits limited movement of the feet.

Making it a ladies only facility allows these women to change into less restrictive clothing without breaking the tenants of their faith.

A final consideration is that many women feel discriminated against when entering a gym, which is traditionally a male dominated arena. If the only solution is provide women with their own training facility because some men are two rude, or stupid so they can train in comfort and security I’m all for it.:)

Hope this helps.

Advertisement