Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Length Amateur Drama Circuit 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jon Joe1

I do agree with your comment that the league table can be very deceiving, after doing some homework (which id say many have already done) on this years adjudicator Brian Majoribanks it seems that the league table means alot to him. In 2008 when he was adjudicating the all Ireland confined the top 3 in the table were Corofin, Backburners and Kilrush which was the exact order of the results!! So maybe he is a crowd pleaser and tries to go on the opinion of the other adjudicators opinions rather than his own?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavalcaders

Ya maybe, but I wouldn't think that an adjudicator would be swayed by a league table, they all pride themselves on having their own opinion......we will see in about 4 weeks time!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavalcaders

Also kilmeen who won the all ireland last and deservedly so got 6 wins a second and a no place on the circuit........and who gave them the no place???.....a certain mr majorbanks......so he certainly isn't swayed by league tables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the same man gave Cornmill their only no place in 2010. (McPherson play too). Who knows what decision will be reached. I don't think we can say there's a clear favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Good Luck to all involved in the Confined All irelands which begin tonight in Shercock

• Advertisement

Did anybody hear how Skibereen get on???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 observe

@ John Joe, not too well by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Have to say Shercock are putting on a great festival. Really grateful for the effort everyone is putting in up there. Great people and a great atmosphere!

I'd say that Letterkenny have it in the bag. Not too sure about open, well if one things for sure that the main in silken is sure to win actor, and Hester from bunclody to win actress. Supporting male to hard to call and supporting actress between bunclody and Ballyduff. Best set between weir, Ballyduff, silken and bunclody in my opinion any other predictions????

Was speaking to someone up in Shercock on Saturday night and they said "If Letterkenny win, it will be bad for Amatuer Drama. They won't stick around. They won't be around next year. They're not like Silken and other groups who are there every year".

I didn't really understand what he meant by saying it, but thought it was an interesting comment.

• Advertisement

Im not sure what he meant by it either... Maybe its that they havnt competed on the circuit for a long time and thinks that they might win and not compete again next year in the open section which unless he knows somebody in the group that has directly said that is a bit odd to think. Ive heard that the show is so strong it would give Athlone a good shot and won the overall award in a couple of Ulster festivals ahead of Open groups who are in Athlone. The Ulster Finals I guess will be a good indicator of that and where the show really lies.

Ive heard the venue and atmosphere is brilliant in Shercock this year from a few people who have been so far and I intend to make it at some stage over the week. Well done to all involved. The Confined finals I often prefer to Athlone as I find the atmosphere is warmer and more genuine where sometimes there can be alot of BS around the Dean Crowe and falseness between groups . Has anybody from groups out there that have made the transition between confined and open any opinion on this?

I remember our confined days in the early 90's and i suppouse there was a very cordial atmosphere then, maybe that was a different time in Irish amateur drama though, some of us were a bit more space-cadet-like about it perhaps, and are more serious in our approach now. Also we had a sizeable break from the 3-Act circuit so things changed a bit in the meantime. I find there's a lot of genuine people in the Open section too to be fair, and a decent bit of banter between most groups. There's always going to be a few ego's about, but thats everywhere.

As for Letterkenny being bad for drama, that would only be the case if they went back confined again next year, or even 2 years time assuming they were to win Shercock. It seems as though a talented group just got the right play, with the right cast and it has worked very well.

Only 2 more night left in the Confined All Irelands. Was talking to a guy who has been a few nights and so far he thinks it is pretty wide open.

Best of luck to all Groups when it comes to awards time on Sat night !

Any predictions for tonight???

As most of ye know by now, Letterkenny lived up to the hype on Saturday night in Shercock winning a bagful of awards and the overall winners. I was at the show and really liked it. I felt the first act was stronger than the 2nd act and it lost its way a bit but overall I felt it was a clear winner. The production side of the show was so slick and rehearsed. I do think its a shame that their is no Soud award for the confined all irelands as this important element in any show should be acknowledged , Letterkennys sound was simply brilliant.

After that, Doonbeg finished 2nd and Droichead Nua 3rd.

A quick word about Shercock. What a well ran festival ! The Atmosphere and craic there on Saturday Night was just brilliant. The venue looked very well and all of the groups seemed very happy with the technical aspects too.

On To Athlone now....

poteen wrote: »

A quick word about Shercock. What a well ran festival ! The Atmosphere and craic there on Saturday Night was just brilliant. The venue looked very well and all of the groups seemed very happy with the technical aspects too.

Absolutely! Shercock was ran amazingly well. Couldn't fault a thing up there. The craic and hospitality was just brilliant. And the late nights...wow! And the awards are beautiful. Liking my one on the mantle ;)

Mixed reviews about 39 Steps talking to the audience afterwards, but ye never know how impartial people are talking to a member of another group. But technically the show was absolutely superb! They deserved the win for all the effort involved.

That's it now. All over, including the shouting!

Doesn't seem to be an evident leader yet but I think Silken Thomas are out of the running!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 David Taylor

Hi everyone,
    I was pointed in the direction of this site by a friend of mine. I used to be an avid follower of the drama circuit before I had to move to the UK at the start of the recession.
    In my opinion there are many technical people (set, lighting designers etc) out there that should be competing for an all ireland crown but dont get to showcase at Athlone as the acting/direction wasnt strong enough to propel them there. Is this still the case? If so, who do you think should have their names in the hat this year?

Jon Joe1 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be an evident leader yet but I think Silken Thomas are out of the running!!

Mr M isn't giving too much away, but he did seem critical of the first act of their show. And then he has had criticism of all 3 so far, so in my books it's all to play for. He had some pointers for our show on Thursday too, but we'll wait and see how it pans out!!

Kilmeen are defenitly ahead now!!!! What a adjudication can anyone neat them????

• Advertisement

*beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conoroconnell

R u from Kilmeen, John Joe??

They have a top class show, which was matched by a good adjudication just like all the groups.. But I wouldn't rule out Silken Thomas just yet.. Thurles were very strong last night so who's to say they are not ahead either. Mr. M is keeping his cards very close to his chest but overall (being on the stage Friday 4th May) we smashed a great show in the Dean Crowe and it is in the lap of the Gods now..

I havnt made it to Athlone yet due to work but Ive heard that The adjud. is keeping his thoughts pretty secret. Ive heard that the Thurles Seafarer was better received by the Adjud than Cornmills and may be in front overall.

Having seen some shows prior to the All Ireland, I still feel Kilmeens show will take alot of beating in Athlone. The Standard is just so high though and really to seperate the Top 5 groups you are really going down to fine detail and to be honest- the adjuds. personal taste. He could pick anyone of 5 odd plays and nobody could question it too much.

To be even in Athlone your show needs to be very good but that still doesnt make you exempt from taking crit from audience and adjud and you need to be able to take that too when you are putting yourself forward in competition to be judged.

I havnt made it to Athlone yet due to work but Ive heard that The adjud. is keeping his thoughts pretty secret. Ive heard that the Thurles Seafarer was better received by the Adjud than Cornmills and may be in front overall.

I would agree with that it looks like Thurles got a very good adjudication... Looking forward to Bunclody tonight and especially Ballyduff on Thursday hearing great things about it and heard it's better than it was on The circuit
    so it most be really good!!

I would agree with that it looks like Thurles got a very good adjudication... Looking forward to Bunclody tonight and especially Ballyduff on Thursday hearing great things about it and heard it's better than it was on The circuit
    so it most be really good!!

I saw the Bunclody show and felt there were one or 2 stand out performances most notably Hester and Josie but just too many average supporting performances for it to win Athlone.Presentation very good.

As for Ballyduff, Im hoping to make the show. They have a good record in Athlone and it is always remarked about how hard they work between the circuit and the finals. Ive heard that the production takes alot of risks which may or may not go down well with the Scotsman. Time Will tell.

Also hearing from loads of people how strong Estuary are. They know how to win so dont rule them out !

I saw the Bunclody show and felt there were one or 2 stand out performances most notably Hester and Josie but just too many average supporting performances for it to win Athlone.Presentation very good.

As for Ballyduff, Im hoping to make the show. They have a good record in Athlone and it is always remarked about how hard they work between the circuit and the finals. Ive heard that the production takes alot of risks which may or may not go down well with the Scotsman. Time Will tell.

Also hearing from loads of people how strong Estuary are. They know how to win so dont rule them out !

I've seen Estuary and I didn't like it personally, didn't like the set or one of the 3 characters... Not a fan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pat loughnane

First time for four of our five cast members to perform on the stage in Athlone last night and what an experience it was for all involved. Delighted with our adjudication of course but no matter what happens Saturday night it has been a fantastic season ! Best of luck to all involved with Bunclody tonight and the remaining groups . See you all at the party Saturday night.!

Great adjucdication last night I have a feeling it's between Bunclody and Thurles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pat loughnane

Great adjucdication last night I have a feeling it's between Bunclody and Thurles!!!
    What about Kilmeen ? Another great adjudication there ! Its going to be a hard one to call me thinks !

• Advertisement

It seems this adjudicator might well be playing a bit of a game . If thats true then all groups are very much in with a shout in their own heads come Saturday night even but thats not to say that the adjud aint dismissed them.
    Some groups seem to be getting a surprisingly good adjud. in Athlone which makes me Wonder.

Me Thinks Kilmeen and Silken will still be in the top 3 with a random group between them. Ill put my neck on the block before the awards.

Speaking of the awards, is the format changed tis year ?? Is it closed to just the competing groups or what ?

Advertisement