Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3day<35min10km2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Despite my best behaviour I pulled up with the trots halfway through this
    session, still glad I got a but of a run in, and I've probably covered ten km with an easy 5 km walk at the end.

Looks like tomorrow going to be a toughify, 20 min warm up, 3.5@4.10 1.5@5.10 1.5@4.10 1.5@5.10 3.5@4.10 20 min warm down. This is a slight mod in the plan as I feel I need more warm up time.

Happy out, stuck to the plan, rounds out the day with 10x100m down the pool, looking forward to a lie in tomorrow :)

I feel like it's been ages since I've posted, but it's only been a week ! I'm still shopping around for a new laptop so no graphs at the mo. canceled the run tonight out of laziness :( I'd been telling myself I'm tired after 3 13 hour days in work, but I know full well I could have done the kms if I had to. On a positive note training is going smoothly and I hope to dig the bike out of the shed soon :)

5 km in the pool todays, which is a life time session record :) 1:40 of front crawl. My legs where a little wobble getting out, and I've been floating around for the afternoon, nice and mellow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Any races coming up? You have a goal race in mind for the 35 mins yet? Dunshaughlin is a great one.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Any races coming up? You have a goal race in mind for the 35 mins yet? Dunshaughlin is a great one.

The plan for the moment is the rosslare ten km on the 9 of april. The furman plan doesn't spec race paces, so I'm just going to head out at 4 min km and see what happens! I'm a long way from 35 mins at the moment but I've got all summer and autumn so there's no point rushing it :)

This is a bit of an experiment, just in the door from 2km swim and heading out for a 15ish km run. I'd better be carefully encase some one mistakes me for one of those weird obsessive triathlon people :p:

Yesterday was successfully :) I'm not sure if it will become the norm, but it does mean I can squeeze in another swim :). In other news, the bike made it out of the shed today but will be back in the shed tomorrow :(. No training tonight, so looking forward to football tomorrow.

Looks like they'll be no club training of any kind this week :(.
    Heading into the pool for my second splash and dash of the week.

• Advertisement

So 5x400 @ 7 mins, I feel like my swim it's all over the place, I pretty much just windmill up and down the lane. Anyway felt good so happy out with the swim :)
    Now the run was a different story, 12.5km @4:28ish was the plan, the reality was a hilly bady lit back road with lots of blinding head lights, so the run was muck, muscles felt tight before, during and after this run.

Two hours of unofficial football training and 3km down the pool, I haven't been sleeping the best for the last couple of days, so looking forward to a few lie ins over the weekend.

Happy training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sounds like you've had a pretty good week of training! Do you play gaelic football? I have a cousin over in Ireland who plays gaelic football.....

No it's the foreign game, soccer, we only started as a five aside kick around last year and now we have a couch and competitions and training schedule, I'm not sure how this happened! !!

where does your cousin play? If he's related to you he must be pretty good!

Happy enough with the training this week, but I think I'm getting a little distracted with the swimming etc, this is supposed to be a running log!

Weekend was a wash out, ago no training. Last night short tempo of 5km@3:54, tonight an easy mma session, tomorrow is a bit of a beast, 1 hour of footy followed by 16km@4:17. I'll be very happy if I can stick to this!

looking at the plan in general, I think I should race somewhere between short tempo and 1600m intervals so somewhere between 3:55 to 3:40. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Donelson wrote: »
    tomorrow is a bit of a beast, 1 hour of footy followed by 16km@4:17. I'll be very happy if I can stick to this!

I predict an injury if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Simmo39

1 hour of footy followed by 16km@4:17. I'll be very happy if I can stick to this!

+ 1, Why try do both. Maybe pick one or the other...

dna_leri wrote: »
    tomorrow is a bit of a beast, 1 hour of footy followed by 16km@4:17. I'll be very happy if I can stick to this!

I predict an injury if you do.

if it had been a tough footy session I would have trimmed the millage, I think I have a reasonable feel for when my legs are knackered.

Simmo39 wrote: »
    1 hour of footy followed by 16km@4:17. I'll be very happy if I can stick to this!

+ 1, Why try do both. Maybe pick one or the other...

I've been thinking the exact same thing of late, the difficult is that I enjoy them all,
    If stop training mma, I know I won't be back, age it's against me, and the other guys aren't getting any slower our weaker.
    Footy is a social thing and I would really miss the banter etc, and when I compare it to the solo pursuit or running, I think if I had to choose I'd end up resenting running!
    Last but not least, swimming, I only swim once, or maybe twice, max a week, and I am still dog slow, but it took a long time to get to where I am, so I'd hate to let it slide.

Mma tonight, and I'm thinking a lss (long slow swim) tomorrow, I was very surprised how strong I felt on my runs after my last lss. I'll play it by ear, if I'm too tired, I'll keep it short. Rest day planned (unavoidable) for saturday.

• Advertisement

Friday did not follow any plan :( when I got to the pool it was nice and quiet so I got my own lane :) I had decided In work that rather than just plod out 3km that I should do it as a 6x500m to try and keep a little quality, I set a target of 10 mins per rep. I set off on my first rep and was thinking to myself that I was working a little hard and had expected to come in under target but when I got to the wall the watch said 10:40, I was actually despondent when I saw this (you'd have thought my dog had died). I did 3 more reps before heading home in a sulk!

Despite having this down as a rest day, I was in dublin so I headed along to my usual yoga session, I have so many bio mechanical issues it's not even funny, no flexibility in my ankles, hyper extending knees, tribble hip alignment, a spine that is so buckled that when I do plank it looks like a ski jump, shoulder blades that are permanently winged, and neck muscles you can play like an oboe.

Just about to head out the door to do my intervals and it's freezing, I can't wait for summer :) intervals are 6x800@3:30/km with a 90sec ri. this new ri has me worried, where's my 400m walk gone!
    In other news this is day one of a clean eating streak :)

Cycled to the pool, and did 5x100@<100sec :) zooommm! :)

Oh clean eating streak last one day, I'll be back on the horse again tomorrow.

Lots of stress and very little training this week, for the record no mma, only one football session and one lazy swim.
    going with out the gamin for the week and I'll be giving my interval session a miss.
    Tried to get out for an interval session today but cramped out as soon as I started.

On a complete side note watched a good bit of the world in doors, does anybody know its nicola sanders is marred? (stalker alert)

Another awesome day out running............no no I'm lying.
    It wasn't the worst run, maybe a 3 out of 10, 10km, no time, pace, or hr to report, the watch is staying home until I feel better.

Happy run.

It's nice to have some good stuff to report, I'm back on the plan, running 3:55s for 6.5km and 4:55 for 3km, felt comfortable at 3:55 :)

Heading for the pool tomorrow, planning a lss, going to leave the watch at home, as I don't want to upset myself :).
    Plan for the weekend are two spins on the bike, one to waterford city and one up mount leinster, please please please be sunny :)

Heading for the pool tomorrow, planning a lss, going to leave the watch at home, as I don't want to upset myself :).
    Plan for the weekend are two spins on the bike, one to waterford city and one up mount leinster, please please please be sunny :)

Swim is definitely in ebb mode at the moment, ~ 1000m, slow, but I've started breathing threw my nose which I'm taking as a positive. I can feel hips wiggling about so I think I'll need some planks, squats etc, and some lessons! !!

I'm writing this because I'm still in bed! And that's what it's going to be about!
    This time last year I would be long gone, out for a run, or out on the bike and I'd be busting my chops, annoyed that I'd wasted yet another winter, and cursing myself for being soft and staying in out of the cold. This year I've no mojo, and no grit in the mill. I could live with this if I'd been training hard and everything was coming together but I haven't, and it hasn't. I'm not really sure where this is going, but for now I'm going to begrudgingly get the bike out from the spare room and go for a spin, maybe in pick up some mojo from the mojo shop while I'm out there.

• Advertisement

Headed over too wexford town today on the bike so only about 40km at an easy pace. Some nice hills along the way, you know when your legs are screaming please go faster and get over this hill and put me out of my misery, but you head is saying no faster you blow up only half way up.

I had a go at hill repeats instead out interval, and I can do them but only at a slow pace, so slow that I couldn't call it a key season. I've looked back at my log and I have managed intervals but only first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so maybe I'll try one last time next weekend.

Advertisement