Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling my account ????

• 20-02-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I would like to know for how long will I still be able to use my smarttelecom broadband after cancelling this service. I want to know because I'm going to switch to upc today and not sure if I should cancel it now because I want to order upc through the internet and at the same time I want to make sure my smarttelecom account is cancelled so I won't have to worry about that. So what do you reckon? A day? two? or will it stop instantly after the phone call ??

Thank you in advance ;)

And BTW does upc offer something like another ISP account termination so I don't have to worry about that?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mac.book wrote: »
    Hi,
    I would like to know for how long will I still be able to use my smarttelecom broadband after cancelling this service. I want to know because I'm going to switch to upc today and not sure if I should cancel it now because I want to order upc through the internet and at the same time I want to make sure my smarttelecom account is cancelled so I won't have to worry about that. So what do you reckon? A day? two? or will it stop instantly after the phone call ??

Thank you in advance ;)

And BTW does upc offer something like another ISP account termination so I don't have to worry about that?

It always baffles me as to why people ask this type of question on boards.ie rather than contact the ISP directly?

If you have completed your initial 12 month contract and not subsequently upgraded to another product thereby entering into another contract etc etc then normally you will be on a rolling month's contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mac.book

dub45 wrote: »
    It always baffles me as to why people ask this type of question on boards.ie rather than contact the ISP directly?

If you have completed your initial 12 month contract and not subsequently upgraded to another product thereby entering into another contract etc etc then normally you will be on a rolling month's contract.

Ok I got it all sorted and ordered with the greatly appreciated assistance of upc online chat. I asked this question on boards.ie because my former ISP i.e. Smarttelecom ignores me like spam and no one bothers to answer my question on their forum. At least not in the last 24 hours but that's irrelevant now, upc will be able to cancel smarttelecom for me after I fill in an online form, how convenient :)

mac.book wrote: »
    Ok I got it all sorted and ordered with the greatly appreciated assistance of upc online chat. I asked this question on boards.ie because my former ISP i.e. Smarttelecom ignores me like spam and no one bothers to answer my question on their forum. At least not in the last 24 hours but that's irrelevant now, upc will be able to cancel smarttelecom for me after I fill in an online form, how convenient :)

I would strongly advise against relying on anyone else to cancel your contract.
    The contractual relationship is between you and Smart and if something goes wrong UPC will not be around to pick up the pieces. In fact I doubt very much if UPC can cancel a contract on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mac.book

I would strongly advise against relying on anyone else to cancel your contract.
    The contractual relationship is between you and Smart and if something goes wrong UPC will not be around to pick up the pieces. In fact I doubt very much if UPC can cancel a contract on your behalf.

I guess it's my only option though, unless I'll just cancel the direct debit but then I might face some cancellation fees or whatever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Upc can only cancel your bb if you're swapping your phone line to them aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

How would you face cancellation fees? Just tell them to **** on with themselves if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I would be very surprised if UPC can cancel Smart Telecom as its not the same as moving from Smart Telecom to Eircom etc - they use different technologies.

I moved to UPC from Smart Telecom about 18 months ago and had to cancel Smart Telecom myself so unless the process has changed you will need to do it yourself.

I waited until UPC broadband was installed before I gave Smart Telecom notice that I was cancelling the account to ensure I had continuity of internet.

Why not do the obvious thing?

Email Smart giving them a months notice - ask them to acknowledge receipt of the email and confirm that they will cancel your account wef the nominated date.

Also request cancellation of your dd in the same email. You also need to cancel your dd with your bank.

I would be very surprised if UPC can cancel Smart Telecom as its not the same as moving from Smart Telecom to Eircom etc - they use different technologies.

I moved to UPC from Smart Telecom about 18 months ago and had to cancel Smart Telecom myself so unless the process has changed you will need to do it yourself.

I waited until UPC broadband was installed before I gave Smart Telecom notice that I was cancelling the account to ensure I had continuity of internet.
    If their phone number is bring ported over, it's possible the broadband would be automatically cancelled.

If their phone number is bring ported over, it's possible the broadband would be automatically cancelled.

'if' and 'possible' don't get a contract cancelled. The responsibility lies with the customer to cancel their contract - its that simple.

• Advertisement

'if' and 'possible' don't get a contract cancelled. The responsibility lies with the customer to cancel their contract - its that simple.

I worked there for a long time, if there phone is being ported over the line will cease from smart and their broadband will be cancelled, I'm not saying don't contact smart, I'm just saying it's a possibility that it will be cancelled for them.

Advertisement