Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4OD and Adblock software = No No

• 26-01-2012 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Simple as, if you are running adblock software 4od wont play any files on the 4od player until you disable it.

granted it is there service they provide for free they make the rules, but really i wonder if they were losing out on that much? anyway its a matter of principal now, i made a complaint via the built in complaint thingy (also when they were asking me what os i was using, no option for any mac os. i mean are they really that rare??). guess ill just stick to netflix, hate being told how to use my computer

rant over, anyone else gonna be annoyed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Working fine here with adblock. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Zhane wrote: »
    Working fine here with adblock. :rolleyes:

not lying

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Add the web address to the whitelist?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Channel 4 Television makes the vast majority of its income from advertising. Although its state owned, it receives no public funding.

If everyone blocks the advertising, there will be nobody buying adverts on 4OD.

If there is nobody buying advertising on 4OD, how will Channel 4 fund it?

Its the "Scruffy looks out for only one person: Scruffy" scenario, but if everybody did, then there'd be no 4OD. Your model depends on everybody else watching the advertising except for you.

Maybe think about that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

People whom have adblocking software installed fall into the "Don't click ads" demographic, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I get the adblock message too.

i complained to them, and they gave me a basic reply of if you dont have adds we dont get paid..

fair enough

but since for ever i havent been watching adds, ive never watched adds, i dont click on adds, because i dont believe in them, i use adblock plus because i pay those things no notice.
    im not a lost customer, well i am now as it wont be used by me again, and i will be sure to turn others off it and onto netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Jagle wrote: »
    i complained to them, and they gave me a basic reply of if you dont have adds we dont get paid..

fair enough

but since for ever i havent been watching adds, ive never watched adds, i dont click on adds, because i dont believe in them, i use adblock plus because i pay those things no notice.
    im not a lost customer, well i am now as it wont be used by me again, and i will be sure to turn others off it and onto netflix

So what you're saying is that you rather pay seven euro for an ad free service rather than a free service with a few ads. Would you pay 4OD a fee each month if that option was available?

yes, id rather pay anyone small amounts then have my viewing experience ruined

why i stopped watching tv, movies, and why i use adblockers, i just hate those annoying f'in adds, i mean the time i save is worth money.

no i wouldnt pay channel 4, why would i?
    they dont make enough from tv adds? and the other revenue streams they have?
    please

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Channel 4 don't put their content online for your wellbeing, I'm sure that the file conversions, servers etc aren't free either. No-one is forced to watch their shows, especially for free, so that's the agreement you enter into, you watch their shows for free you have to see some ads.

That said, they could do with dropping the Peep Show & Hells' Kitchen mid-rolls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

adblock + chrome + channel4.com/4od doesn't work (plays ads)

adblock + firefox + channel4.com/4od does work

all of the stuff on 4od is uploaded by channel4 to youtube. just go to youtube and search for the name of the program you want to watch followed by "4od". If it doesnt show up hit advanced search and select long.

the ads will be blocked on youtube

Advertisement