Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good work Mr. 76, if that is your real name :pac: will give it another go tonight if I can drag myself away from the twin sirens Civ 5 and GoW 3!

Andrew is dead on about the boss, dragging it out as long as possible is the key. Another important scoring point is when the ships rush at you from the left hand side near the start. Key is that they fly away as soon as you hit them. So let em get close before taking them down. It's will help propel you into the 500,000 much easier.

Edit: Also the chimes are deffo to alert of every 100k. Plus track down the four gold things. Every few 1000 help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Afaik the last of those gold bonus things is just before and to the left of those twin ships you need to kill at the same time. Also, kill moving stuff first and as fast as you can - killing fast equals more waves. Then clean up the ground based stuff.
    Oh and I presume you know that when you collect one of the red power ups you are temporarily invincible? So at certain parts you can used them to very quickly kill some big ships that come at you - collect a red power up and just kill one by sitting right on top of him (keep shooting ofc).

I reckon we should all be able to top 600k. Especially yee youngsters with yer nimble fingers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Got back into Deathsmiles recently and have this MBL score to show for it:

81YN5l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Here's my Ibara high score. Took me all afternoon to get there!

Problem is, it could have been better. I didn't realize I had gotten to the 2nd stage boss and only lost 1 life (I know! :eek:) and when I got hit I turned away to get up and looked back and saw I still had another left!

Soon as I got back to my seat I got hit. Argh! :mad:

Anyway, here's my current best attempt. Lets see your scores. :)

hthbg8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice work dude!

I wanted to give it a go myself, but it turns out I don't have any blank DVDs about (as I don't want to get my original disc scratched..:pac:) . Going to see if I can get it going via a ps2 emulator on my pc.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to your score! :) I am reliably informed Mr. Fly (of the Onda variety) has been slaving away at this game to. Hurry up and post your scores before Mr. Ultimate creams our scores!

I confess I adore this game. It's absolutely brilliant. Truly a privelidge to have played the PCB itself. :)

28,549,630 - Night Raid (G-Net PCB) - 1 Credit. No Continues.

ZIpOU.jpg

36,107,920 The scoring system on this game is completely unforgiving. Get it wrong and you actually LOSE points! :mad:

WMbRB.jpg

Last attempt of the night was my best score. This game apparently can be played three different ways. I figured out two of them. The third I think I might know but I need to test it some more.

This game is amazing. Not Ibara amazing, but seriously up there. What an underrated beauty of a game this is.

RXCDj.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, DoDonPachi Resurrection Arrange B. The short play time makes it ridiculously compelling! Moved onto stage 2 (eventually) but stage 1 score so far below. The bullet patterns in the level have now transcended absurdity! Will definitely get back to standard 1.5 one of these days :pac:

1z2hxl1.jpg

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Here's my Ibara high score. Took me all afternoon to get there!

Problem is, it could have been better. I didn't realize I had gotten to the 2nd stage boss and only lost 1 life (I know! :eek:) and when I got hit I turned away to get up and looked back and saw I still had another left!

Soon as I got back to my seat I got hit. Argh! :mad:

Anyway, here's my current best attempt. Lets see your scores. :)

hthbg8.jpg

Is that Arcade or Arrange mode btw?

Mr. Mother (Of The Greek Variety), that would be the Arcade mode sir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭ondafly

had DarrenG aka DEA over today - and introduced him to the wonders of Ketsui. We played a few games, heres the scoreboard as its stands; me=BFG :pac:

b6c19c8b.jpg

Nice! Is that PCB or 360? I forget if you have the kit.

So I gave DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou: Death Label a quick bash tonight. Here is my best score. :)

bH20U.jpg

Last shot before bedtime. Absolutely destroyed my previous best score!

On that note I shall retire to my chambers. :)

qRj89.jpg

Couldn't resist one last go now I have the hang of it. Trashed my previous two scores, thanks to some really flukey weavin'. I'll finish the night with this:

EDIT: Looks like I made the shmups.comhigh score table! :D

Y4x3W.jpg

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Nice! Is that PCB or 360? I forget if you have the kit.

both - sorry :p

Anyone up for a more organised score challenge again? Preferably something everyone can easily access?

Aye, I'm keen Mr. U. :)

• Advertisement

I'm getting better - this was on Ketsui PCB (but 360 is identical though)

5cefa046.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Big Fat Giant?

Master of the Universe

Anyone up for a more organised score challenge again? Preferably something everyone can easily access?

Dodonpachi?

Or how about Battle Garegga?

Both easily accessed through MAME.

I'm going to put in some time with Ketsui over the break but would be up for Dodonpachi or Battle Garegga via Mame too.

(pfft never any Raiden love around these parts :P)

Master of the Universe

Why Raiden didn't come to mind I just don't know! :eek:

I'd be up for Raiden alright. Everyone should be able to get the first game going easy.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Big Fat Giant?

naw man - Brilliant Fooking Gamer actually :cool:

Yes - but something that we can all play. Dodonpachi is available for 20GBP on PAL xbox 360. It would be a good start.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm going to put in some time with Ketsui over the break but would be up for Dodonpachi or Battle Garegga via Mame too.

(pfft never any Raiden love around these parts :P)

Been playing Raiden on my only version of it, on the PC Engine. I like the music, but its brutal difficult with a joypad.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why Raiden didn't come to mind I just don't know! :eek:

I'd be up for Raiden alright. Everyone should be able to get the first game going easy.

Heh ah don't mind me about Raiden, it's probably too old school (but I'd gladly try for some high scores with yourself if nobody else was interested). Do you have a pad or stick for your mame setup? Not still using keys I hope? Actually that 360 Hori stick you have should work fine on a pc I reckon.

ESP Ra. De. and Armed Police Batrider are two other excellent shmups similar to Dodonpachi. Although that hipster from Bray will probably wipe the floor with us in the scores. :D

ondafly wrote: »
    Been playing Raiden on my only version of it, on the PC Engine. I like the music, but its brutal difficult with a joypad.

Haven't had the pleasure of playing that version (chuck up a youtube video of it sometime if you get the chance :cool:) but Raiden is generally hard full stop (maybe not Ibara hard but more unforgiving than the other Cave style shmups).

Since DoDonPachi has been done, how about this Battle Garegga game then?

And the Jamestown guantlet could be a good one as well :)

• Advertisement

I've got Phibsborough. Am in for a bit of that. :)

I don't 'do' MAME :rolleyes: so alas shall not be able to partake in Battle Garegga. :(

Advertisement