Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(23 years on)Search for Philip Cairns to continue for third day

• 20-05-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/search-for-philip-cairns-to-continue-for-third-day-91231.html

A DIG at a Dublin golf course as part of the search for Philip Cairns, who has been missing for 23 years, is likely to continue into a third day.
    Philip disappeared on his way back to school having had lunch with his family on October 23, 1986.

The case has baffled gardaí for more than two decades.

Does anyone remember this case one of the most baffling disappearnces of a child in Ireland :(

I hope they find him or something about him,the torture the family must be still going through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sensitive subject this but yeah, i hope the family get some closure

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't remember this, but I hope they find something that'll give his family some closure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I hope they find him alive and well with a surpised look saying 'I just stepped out for a few quiet ones'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ther was plenty of evidence to suggest there was or is at least one serial killer in ireland but the cops chose to ignore it for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember it well, one of those names that has always stuck in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

before my time,but hope they find something to tell his parents:(

so bizzare that no clues ever cropped up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

before my time,but hope they find something to tell his parents:(

so bizzare that no clues ever cropped up...

They have thats why they are searching again.Lets hope something is found or an answer for the family to bring closure.

I think there is only one other case of a child missing in such circumstances i saw on tv.Little girl years previous to this one she went missing between two farms of her family and not even evidence found there either of foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Happened just around the corner from me, so remember it very well.

It was tragic at the time, he more or less vanished into thin air - there was no clue as to what happened.

mike65 wrote: »
    I remember it well, one of those names that has always stuck in my mind.

Yeah never forgot this :( I remember been not allowed off my road for months,changed the way my mom was about freedom to wander around in your own estate.

Degsy wrote: »
    Ther was plenty of evidence to suggest there was or is at least one serial killer in ireland but the cops chose to ignore it for some reason.

But wasnt that to do with the women disappearing? And i think very weird how no one has found any sign of them aswell.
    How do these people get away with it:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Must be terrible for the family to get no closure. I find it weird that evidence comes up like 20 years later. His name rings a bell, but I would of only been a young lad when that happened so I don't really remember it.

shqipshume wrote: »
    And i think very weird how no one has found any sign of them aswell.

Parts of the country are still wild and undeveloped and shovels are cheap.

Says the kids bag was found in a laneway, but wasnt there the day before. Anyone think he might have escaped from his capturer, but then have been re-caught? Might indicate that the attacker lived close-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A case like this should be left to rest. Let the family grieve and try to live their lives. Bringing it back up again just brings up the memories.

Rabies wrote: »
    A case like this should be left to rest. Let the family grieve and try to live their lives. Bringing it back up again just brings up the memories.

or it could give them the closure that they need to move on?maddie mccanns parents still honestly believe she is alive (although it most likey not true) and understandably refuse to give up the search because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/search-for-philip-cairns-to-continue-for-third-day-91231.html

A DIG at a Dublin golf course as part of the search for Philip Cairns, who has been missing for 23 years, is likely to continue into a third day.
    Philip disappeared on his way back to school having had lunch with his family on October 23, 1986.

The case has baffled gardaí for more than two decades.

Does anyone remember this case one of the most baffling disappearnces of a child in Ireland :(

I hope they find him or something about him,the torture the family must be still going through.
    I have good reason to remember this because I was working In Marley park Rathfarnham , with Dublin Co Council at the time and we were trimming the trees branches in the area.We were on his road and opposite the lane were his scoolbag was found ,the day after his disappearance .

maddie mccanns parents still honestly believe she is alive (although it most likey not true) and understandably refuse to give up the search because of this.

No they dont.
    They know damn well what happened to her and they're in a much more ebullient mood because they know they've gotten away with it.
    The pair of those chancers make me sick.

Degsy wrote: »
    No they dont.
    They know damn well what happened to her and they're in a much more ebullient mood because they know they've gotten away with it.
    The pair of those chancers make me sick.

?????based on.....???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Degsy, those are the words of a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Degsy, nothing is proved.
    Assumptions are the mother of all fvck ups.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Says the kids bag was found in a laneway, but wasnt there the day before. Anyone think he might have escaped from his capturer, but then have been re-caught? Might indicate that the attacker lived close-by.
    Yea I remember that part of it now that you mention it.

It could have been anything though. Somebody picked it up, totally unrelated, realised (or didn't) who's it was and put it back.
    Or whoever took him put it there to throw the Garda off the scent.

At this stage, I don't think we'll ever know.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I think there is only one other case of a child missing in such circumstances i saw on tv.Little girl years previous to this one she went missing between two farms of her family and not even evidence found there either of foul play.

I think that one was in Ballyshannon.The Girl was walking through the fields with her uncle and he turned around to call to her and she was gone.She was never found.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Rabies wrote: »

If new evidence arises then the gardai are pretty much obliged to investigate, I would think.

joker77 wrote: »
    It could have been anything though. Somebody picked it up, totally unrelated, realised (or didn't) who's it was and put it back.
    Or whoever took him put it there to throw the Garda off the scent.
    That's the bit that baffles now as much as it did then .Who returned the schoolbag to the lane at the back of Phillips house and why ? It was very strange behaviour .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

The way i see it is Philip Kearns family have never had a minutes peace so its not dragging anything up. Someone, somehwere knows what happened to that boy and they need to come clean and let the family have the closure they deserve. A wife, or girlfriend or whatever knows something. And people need to really think, I was watching a documentry on Peter Sucliffe (the yorkshire ripper) and his wife said she didn't even cop on when she was washing bloody clothes, that it was only in hindsight that she realised there was something dodge going on! So people need to think hard. That little girl in Donegal was called Mary Boyle i think and she had an identical twin sister so her family have been able to see all the time what she would look like at any age!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

mike65 wrote: »
    Degsy, those are the words of a tit.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

But wasnt that to do with the women disappearing? And i think very weird how no one has found any sign of them aswell.

There are rumours that a guy who was caught trying to rape and strangle a woman about 5 years ago, I think on the Dublin mountains, is responsible for the disppeared women. He was put away for that, with an extremely long sentence for one provable crime. But it is only speculation and there is no firm evidence, just lots of circumstantial.

As to Philip Cairns. I remember the disappearance, and my parents talking to us about strangers and stuff. Fingers crossed this search will turn up something and maybe even lead to who ever did this.

The thing about disappearances and murders of people and children in the west of ireland is the remoteness of the region works in favor of the kiddnapper /murderer .I remember there was a serious of disappearances of women in the 80s around the dublin area ,including one american womon which led police and the general public to believe their was a serilal killer at large .As far as I am aware, none of these women or their remains have ever being found. One suggestion and possibility had it that they are buried in the Dublin mountains .

• Advertisement

Evil-p wrote: »
    The way i see it is Philip Kearns family have never had a minutes peace so its not dragging anything up. Someone, somehwere knows what happened to that boy
    Not necessarily. It could have been someone who lived alone, and seeing it's so long ago they could now be dead.

Advertisement