Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSi-recommend games for 6,8 yr old girls?

• 24-11-2009 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Have 2 girls that are getting a DSi this Christmas (bought in U.S.)

I haven't a clue about them so really need recommendations on games to go with them.

So any advice appreciated for an 8 year old girl and a 6 year old girl.

(I know to get Brain Training)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Just something to note, the DSi "specific" software (the downloadable apps/games etc) are region locked so you won't be able to play them here on a U.S. DSi.
    Normal DS games aren't though so if you're intending to just buy the physical cart based games, you should be fine.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

"DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles," a Nintendo spokesperson has told CVG.

They confirmed that this means BOTH download-able games and future DSi-only cartridge-based games would be region locked.

"Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world."

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

smokingman wrote: »
    Just something to note, the DSi "specific" software (the downloadable apps/games etc) are region locked so you won't be able to play them here on a U.S. DSi.
    Normal DS games aren't though so if you're intending to just buy the physical cart based games, you should be fine.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

"DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles," a Nintendo spokesperson has told CVG.

They confirmed that this means BOTH download-able games and future DSi-only cartridge-based games would be region locked.

"Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world."

Good to know - Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Oh and the top rated games are to be found here:
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/

It's a site that collates all the review scores across the net and gives an average so you're pretty guarenteed to able to trust them on a games worth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good games for girls are New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs and Pokemon if they are into it.

If they are into Pokemon get each one a different version each so they can trade pokemon with each other and fight each other on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i purchased 'junior brain training', reccomended ages 5 -8 i think.

My daughter loved trying to play the real thing, but until her reading skills are more developed, this should be the ideal balance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually thats a good point, pokemon games wouldn't suit kids that can't read yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Animal Crossing would be a good choice, but only if they can read. Theres also a new fashion game thats exclusive to the DSi, as it uses the camera. Can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. New Super mario bros. is good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure if there's Pikmin for the DS but if there is Pikmin 1 or Pikmin 2. Although my young one cried first time the ladybird thing killed her pikmin (it's not graphic) lol but it's a kind of cutsie game.

Hello Kitty perhaps, Nintendogs is easy but gets a bit boring after a while it's just the same thing over and over again.

Enchanted.
    Shrek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Zelda Phantom Hourglass is great for kids that age, though they would need a little help from yourself on some of the bosses (great for you to play too).

The new Zelda Spirit Tracks is out on 7th Dec too.

Mario Party DS is not great for adults, but good for kids.

Super Princess Peach is a good platformer if you can get your hands on it, its around a long time so not sure about availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 winnow

Mario is always a good option

• Advertisement
Advertisement