Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Skygo app is now saying that it is not compatible with this phone even though it has been working recently. Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Skygo app is now saying that it is not compatible with this phone even though it has been working recently. Anyone else having this problem?

hasn't been updated to work with ICS afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

AntiRip wrote: »
    You can unlock your phone (after root) using this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.sgs2simunlockcode&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5zZ3Myc2ltdW5sb2NrY29kZSJd

Never used it as I never had to unlock so don't know how effective it is. It does have some good ratings though

Used that app on both S2's that I've had. Worked perfect on my Meteor one and had it unlocked within minutes. It failed to work on my Vodafone one though so theres no guarantee of it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Doesn't work with newer firmwares. So you could try going to www.samfirmware.com, install an old firmware via Odin, and then run unlocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a Galaxy s2 for nearly a year now. Just today the phone won't charge. I plugged it in and after a few mins I checked it and the phone was v hot. It is not charging. I turned it off, took out the battery and let it cool down for a bit. Put it back in and recharged. 10 mins later I turned on the phone and it had recharged to 12%. However, v quickly the charge went down again. I have now turned off the phone completely and am just going to let it charge for a good bit.
    However, I am fearing that the battery is in trouble and I will have to replace it. Am I still under warranty? I am on bill pay and have the phone less than a year.
    Will I be given a replacement galaxy while phone is being fixed?
    I never had this problem before. Very occasionally when I would turn off and then on the phone it would have lost its charge completely.
    Anyone else have these problems??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I have a Galaxy s2 for nearly a year now. Just today the phone won't charge. I plugged it in and after a few mins I checked it and the phone was v hot. It is not charging. I turned it off, took out the battery and let it cool down for a bit. Put it back in and recharged. 10 mins later I turned on the phone and it had recharged to 12%. However, v quickly the charge went down again. I have now turned off the phone completely and am just going to let it charge for a good bit.
    However, I am fearing that the battery is in trouble and I will have to replace it. Am I still under warranty? I am on bill pay and have the phone less than a year.
    Will I be given a replacement galaxy while phone is being fixed?
    I never had this problem before. Very occasionally when I would turn off and then on the phone it would have lost its charge completely.
    Anyone else have these problems??

Thanks
    my charger stopped working last week

The charger or battery itself??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

The charger or battery itself??

Have you tried charging from a computer?

Anyone having the problem of the phone switching off when you toggle with the wifi? It's annoying as fcuk at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

smilerf wrote: »
    my charger stopped working last week

I had exactly the same issue and asked the same question in this forum (I think) about 4 weeks ago. The solution I was given has worked for me, so give it a try.

Leave the phone on & allow it to run out of power completely on its own.

Then recharge it.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Anyone having the problem of the phone switching off when you toggle with the wifi? It's annoying as fcuk at this stage.

That's used to drive me crazy on another rom. I'd go for my phone 2 or 3 times a day and it used to be switched off by itself.

Yesterday I had 70%+ charge on my phone and rebooted it as it froze on me. When I switched it on there was only 14% left. Lots of bugs on ICS still I'm afraid.

AntiRip wrote: »

That's used to drive me crazy on another rom. I'd go for my phone 2 or 3 times a day and it used to be switched off by itself.

Yesterday I had 70%+ charge on my phone and rebooted it as it froze on me. When I switched it on there was only 14% left. Lots of bugs on ICS still I'm afraid.
    Yeah that's exactly what is happening my phone. I seem to be getting an awful dose of it recently. Really annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

For some reason my phone number is showing up as private when I ring people, didnt change anything on the phone, it was fine yesterday, but just today its ringing on private. I went into settings and made sure the "show number" option was selected and it was.

Anyone else have this problem?? And how do I fix it?

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If you don't like TouchWiz, just install another launcher (examples: launcherpro, Go launcher). No rooting or modding required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

For the last few weeks, my phone screen seems to be getting quite hot when browsing (even after a few mins) and can be around 36c... not sure if that's normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

my sgs2 is spazzing out, not impressed.

turns itself on
    activates driving mode every 10 seconds
    things its on a pc when its not
    auto rotates when told not to

I couldn't find it in this thread but an xda thread had a bunch of other people with the same thing. sounds like a borked usb port. happen to anyone else here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭G1032

mawk wrote: »
    my sgs2 is spazzing out, not impressed.

turns itself on
    activates driving mode every 10 seconds
    things its on a pc when its not
    auto rotates when told not to

I couldn't find it in this thread but an xda thread had a bunch of other people with the same thing. sounds like a borked usb port. happen to anyone else here?

No.
    How long have you had the phone?

about 9 months. not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you don't like TouchWiz, just install another launcher (examples: launcherpro, Go launcher). No rooting or modding required.
    Apex launcher is pretty rad.

Is it just me or does the low battery warning beep, then turn the screen on and keep it on?!
    Whose stupid idea was it to keep the screen on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

great phone!

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    about 9 months. not impressed

Take it back to wherever you bought it. They'll sort it for you.
    Only have mine a short while. See a good lot of 'faults' reported on this thread. Only want mine to get me to the end of November so I can get the SGS 3

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Apex launcher is pretty rad.

Is it just me or does the low battery warning beep, then turn the screen on and keep it on?!
    Whose stupid idea was it to keep the screen on? :confused:

Ever try ssLauncher?? Most customisable one I've ever come across. All the others are basically the same with a different feature here or there.
    ssLauncher is totally different. Give it a try.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's a launcher?

G1032 wrote: »
    Take it back to wherever you bought it. They'll sort it for you.
    Only have mine a short while. See a good lot of 'faults' reported on this thread. Only want mine to get me to the end of November so I can get the SGS 3

I was debating that, but I've cleaned the contacts on the port and that seems to have helped. I presume sending it back will take a few weeks and I'd rather not lose my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's a launcher?

It's your dock at the bottom of your home screen, your home screens and your interface for adding things to your homescreen and a skin for your app drawer, mostly.

The major ones are Apex, Go Launcher, ADW, SSlauncher and there's a few others, including the default one with your S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi all,
    I'm having some problems with my SG2 lately first the corner of the screen went a blueish colour(got the screen replaced by fonfix) and now I find that the phone is freezing alot and I'm getting about half a day with a full charge of the battery.
    The freezing and battery problems have only happened since I got the screen replaced it's on android 4.0.3 this is my first android phone so I'm not upto speed on all things android,:oI think the sg2 is the biz as I was a nokia man for years and took to the sg2 straight away is this the norm with the sg2 to lose battery power so fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone notice that the volume button on the side since the ICS update just controls call volume and not notifications? Is there some setting to change this? Annoying when I take the phone out and leave it on a table and lower the volume, but when I get a notification it's still full volume!
    I'm pretty sure before the update volume control did everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the volume button on the side since the ICS update just controls call volume and not notifications? Is there some setting to change this? Annoying when I take the phone out and leave it on a table and lower the volume, but when I get a notification it's still full volume!
    I'm pretty sure before the update volume control did everything

There is a setting in the sound menu to use the same volume level for incoming calls and notifications, it was there in Gingerbread too, make sure it is checked if you want the rocket to turn down notifications too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Having serious problems with my S2, right before I head to Dublin for Forbidden Fruit, great timing!

I was changing battery yesterday and I think I yanked one out while it was shutting down. Anyway when I turn on it won't get network coverage or detect SIM. I try another SIM and that didn't work either. Then I did *#06# for the IMEI and it was blank! I knew I was in trouble then.

Turns out from reading online I probably have a corrupt /efs partition which holds all IMEI info and if I don't have a backup I was bricked. Low and behold I came cross /efs backup on my SD from when I originally rooted the phone. But I can't copy the old efs to the phone no matter what, Root Explorer won't mount /efs as read/write no matter what I try.

Anyway I'm still reading on xda-developers here, trying to fix this. To anyone else I suggest you backup your /efs NOW with this free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool&hl=en

As you can see with me, corrupt efs can happen even with the stock ROM and without a backup, you're basically screwed.

• Advertisement

Letting my phone die and then charging it worked.
    Btw what type of simcard is in SGS2?

Advertisement