Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Guire Programme in Ireland

• 14-06-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I have finally taken the plunge and contacted the Mc Guire programme with the intent of attending the course in Galway in November.

Has anyone else tried this course and has been in any way successful to any of you , I am sooo nervous about doing this course , I had butterflies in my stomach sending them the email.

I really want to give myself a chance with this course but I dont know if the nerves will get to me.

Can anyone offer any advice please :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I've been reading the Patmar v Mc Guire Thread and Mc Guire sounds so intense and very daunting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I wouldn't let the debate in that thread put you off, from my experience the McGuire Programme stirs up a lot of arguements. I haven't done the course myself so can't comment on it. I know a few people that did it, some found it great, while it didn't work for others.

Do a bit of research on the content and see if it will be suitable for you. Sometimes McGuire graduates attend ISA Self Help meetings, if there's one in your area why not attend and you might get the chance to speak to someone who's been on the course.

Well done though on making the first step to deal with your stammer, that's the hardest step in the process :)

I tend to feel very awkward around other stammerers and I can feel my whole stomach tensing up when I hear someone else stammer and so I tend to stay away from those meetings and has probably been the reason for me not doing the course before now.
    I dont mean to offend or upset anyone by saying that but I've never really wanted to get involved in group therapy before , maybe its just my way of dealing with it.
    I dont know if I'm explaining myself very well but I'm finding it hard to put my thoughts into words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

Karen,
    well done for taking the first step to doing something about your speech. I haven't done the McGuire programme either so I can't comment on it. I can identify with the fear of being in a group of people who stammer, I was like that too, the most scary thing I ever did in my life was to go to an Irish Stammering Association support group meeting. It also turned out to be the best thing I ever did.
    I would suggest you contact the McGuire programme and ask if you could speak on the phone or over coffee with someone who has done the programme. Or you could mail the ISA and ask for someone to contact you to talk on the phone or over coffee about what it is like to go to a support group meeting. Or you could do both. You don't need to stress about being contacted because it will be someone else who stammers and they will understand your fears.
    One thing you will find when you meet other people who stammer is the amount of support and understanding you get from them.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you do something because once you do, you will begin to make progress. Best of luck

I used to be like that Karen, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would attend group therapy never mind a self help group.
    Once I took that step I didn't look back. Any awkwardness you may feel in a group will be short lived, you'll soon adapt.

As stutelle said ring the McGuire HQ and try to speak to one or more people about the programme, get all the facts and then make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Hi Karen,
    Very good advice from the previous posts. When we decide to try something new we are moving out of our comfort zone, for some people who are challenged by stammering these comfort zones can be very self limiting. It is perfectly natural to experiance apprehension, anxiety, or even stress when we embark on a new path, please be assured Karen that feelings like this are not confined to people who are challenged by stammering.

From my experiance some people who are challenged by stammering refuse to get help and support for their challenge with stammering because of their own percieved stigma which they have attached and associated with their stammering.

When we get support and empowerment to break free of our own negative perceptions of our challenge with stammering we are in fact starting to disolve the mindset and mentality of our stammering behaviour which includes all that we attach to it.

Whatever path you choose Karen I wish you the best, you can have a very good quality of life regarding your verbal communication.

Speak soon,
    Michael.
    www.michaeloshea.ie

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply , I really appreciate all your help and advice. Unfortunately my circumstances have changed , my husband and I both worked for the same company and it recently closed down leaving us both unemployed so I think my plans for any programme will have to go on hold fo the time being.

So I'm now and stammerer looking for a job , my qualifications are in admin but all admin jobs require good communication skills. While I know I would be good at any of these jobs answering the phone is just a no no for me. Theres receptionist jobs I'd love to go for but again it involves dealing with the public.

I fell on my feet with my last two jobs , the first had three other girls in the office and none of them minded dealing with the calls and in the second all communication was done by email.

Now whats the chances of me finding another handy number???

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paubs

Hi Karen.
    my partner joined the meguire programme last feb and like you she was really nervous about contacting them,so much she put it of for 5 years however she did it and i went up to belfast thinking it was a load of rubbish and i was SO wrong.it is fantasic amazing and has helped her a more than she ever dreamed of.she is also going to galway in november and looking forward to it..it has changed her life.so dont be nervous and be prepared for a very intense course that is well worth it.i will get her to send you a message tomorrow.under my user name as she is not set up on boards yet.good luck and it is something that you will not regret doing
    paubs:)

I think I'm going to do the course in November in Galway , as soon as I get the courage up to send off the application form. Half of me is hoping if I leave it too late there will be no places left and the other half is saying get on with it.

just go for it. you will be so happy that you have filled out that form when you are sitting in galway.you will not regret it one bit.
    go on just fill it out and send it of.you have nothing to loose
    good luck paubs

• Advertisement

Hey Karen

Well done on taking that first step (the hard step!) and actually contacting the McGuire programme. it's totally normal to feel tense and anxious about all of this - it would be odd if you didn't...

I felt the same when surrounded by stammerers - my skin would go hot and cold and I would feel dizzy. this is all to do with how we ourselves perceive stammering.

I understand that you are at odds and ends about whether to go on the course - at the end of the day it's a very personal decision to do the programme and you have to do it for yourself. I can say to you that I have found it to be of great value both in my work life and personal life. I can now deal with day to day situations in work without feeling that fear and dread. I don't lie awake in bed at night worried about some meeting or some phone call the next day. I can ring the doctor's surgery and make an appointment for myself. I recently did a mass reading in my local church (something that I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams!). Through doing the programme I am becoming the real me and not hiding behind the stammer anymore.

Ya know what they say.....Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway!!

Good luck.

K

Application sent , place booked.
    I have never been so nervous in my life.

Karen23 wrote: »
    Application sent , place booked.
    I have never been so nervous in my life.

Well done and good luck :)

If you can make it to the National Stammering Awareness Day on 22nd October in Dublin there will be a good few Maguire Graduates there that you could talk to. I haven't done the course myself but have seen the after affects and it helps so many people :)

Well done.....that's great.

I'll be down in Galway next month - see you there!

Kathy

Thanks Stephen

I think I'm so nervous because its away from home and on my own , I know everyone else is in the same boat and I'll meet lots of people but its still very daunting heading off on my own.

I'll see you there Kathy , how are you feeling about it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Karen,

On my phone so I will keep it brief. I did McGuire in August. I was soooo nervous going to it. You will not meet a more nice supportive bunch of people there. The course has totally changed my negative perceptions about my stammer and I am more confident in speaking situations. The after course support is amazing as well.

I will be going to the course in November as well.

I might see you there :)

Regards,

John Kelly

Hi Karen

I know how you're feeling. It can feel daunting making your way down to the course and being away from your nearest and dearest, but believe me when I say that you will have massive support there. Everyone there on the course is behind you and helping you on your journey.

I'm not sure if you watch RTE, but Gareth Gates was on tonight and it was a very enjoyable interview to watch - you can catch in on RTE Real Player.

Look forward to seeing you in Galway!

All the best

Kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

When is/was the course? How did you get on?

I applied for the course on www.stammering.ie
    The next two courses are
    8th-11th Aug 2012, Galway
    07th-10th Nov 2012, Galway

I found it great , really intense and hard work for the four days but with great results. I found it really helped me a lot but I found it very hard to put what I learnt into practice in '' the real world ''

I seen so many people on the course with amazing life changing results , it didnt work for me but I blame myself for that. I was given the tools to get the results I wanted but found it so hard to change life long habits.

Best of luck if you decide to do it , you wont regret it.

Reoil wrote: »
    When is/was the course? How did you get on?

Just noticed your based in Antrim , there's a course in Belfast 6-9 Febuary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Karen23 wrote: »
    Just noticed your based in Antrim , there's a course in Belfast 6-9 Febuary

I went on the course in Galway a few years ago. It's just not for me I'm afraid.

I think the same happened for me , when I was on the course I was great but I found it so hard using the technique at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Hi guys

Will be speaking about the McGuire Programme and my own stammering journey on RTÉ Radio 1 tomorrow, The Mooney Show, between 3-4:30pm.

Might give people an insight into the different aspects of the programme and a personal spin on things

Tune in if you can!

Advertisement