Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Big Skype Users Here?

• 29-04-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been asked to try and find somebody that uses Skype regularly for a telephone interview by one of the national newspapers.

Any candidates?

Aaron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Yep I use skype all the time, mostly to call my girlfriend who is abroad.

Much cheaper the buying phone cards.

Actually now I use it for nearly all my calls apart from calling mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

aaronc wrote:
    ...uses Skype regularly for a telephone interview by one of the national newspapers.
    I wonder if the report will read something like this...

Interviewer: "How do you find the call quality using Skype?"
    Interviewee: "It's ffine m st of thhe t me but ssom imes there is subbsstantial lag du ng the ccaalll and often you wwilil get ssomme eecchhoo and dropped calls <beep-beep> <beep-beep> <call-ends> :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

we use skpye phones in the office here for calling suppliers an such, never had any echoein problems with it.
    skype will be bringin out a new cordless version supposed to be out for the summer

This cordless dualphone ?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

it cud possibly be our voip rep sed it was only available in usa. he's fobbin me off

• Advertisement

It's been available at this UK site since last year.
    I see now that an Irish company also have it here

Pricey and proprietary (bar the DECT part) products. €120 for one handset and €70 per additional handset.
    wtf I bought a good quality quad set from Argos for €180; and they can be bought for a lot cheaper than that.

tbh I don't have much to say in principal for Skype coz they use proprietary protocols rather than standards (like SIP, H.323). While they're an easy route for free interent calls (which is actually possible on a much bigger scale with VoIP companies), I don't use skype anymore, nor do they get my money - that goes to companies like Blueface and Grandstream, companies that employ/support standards in their 'product'. But hey, that's just me :)

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I started off with Skype, found it good and was handy for ringing PC 2 PC but moved over to blueface as I wanted to be able to use a normal phone and have a 051 nunber :D

Overall quality was good, damn shame I still have a balance of €8 to use up on my skype account still

LOL, I had just under €2 left on mine but used it up nicely on an hour+ long conference call to the U.S.

Phone some support line and then put them on hold for ages :D

causal

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Debbio69 wrote:
    it cud possibly be our voip rep sed it was only available in usa. he's fobbin me off
    Whoah. Looks like what, 5-6% packet loss? Couldn't be good for VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I to used to use skype to talk to friends in the US, China and so on, but always found that the quality wasn't quite there.

However since trying blueface with a hardware ATA rather than a softphone, Aaron will be happy to know that I won't be going back to using skype anytime soon........

Willie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement