Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Strangely, I have been symptom-free since leaving Europe to cycle across Asia. I used be seriously bad. Now in Hanoi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kelle wrote: »
    I just want to know if anybody's symptoms are bad today? OMG, I'm scratching my eyes out today and my face feels clammy!

Thought it was just me- I've been knocking back Benelyn Night and Day- along with Actifed....... This is a first for October.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

smccarrick wrote: »
    Thought it was just me- I've been knocking back Benelyn Night and Day- along with Actifed....... This is a first for October.......

Much though I hate to hear of your plight, I feel relieved to know I'm not the only one! How is your son's symptoms?

Maybe we need to go to the other side of the world like Blorg!

How is your son's symptoms?

Runny nose and red eyes........
    I'm so sorry that he inherited his hayfever from me.......
    Spoon of Calpol to help him sleep this evening.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I just want to know if anybody's symptoms are bad today? OMG, I'm scratching my eyes out today and my face feels clammy!
    Yep today and yesterday my eyes are going nuts!! Thank God its not just me lol, sometimes I wonder if I am imagining it or the dogs hair is doing it but no I think its something pollen like!!

• Advertisement

Is he too young for an antihistamine? Poor wee mite, have passed on a peanut allergy myself to my 7 year old, my mother was also highly allergic:mad:

Does anybody here suffer from Oral Allergy Syndrome ie itchy mouth, tingling lips or dry mouth after eating raw fruits/veg/potatoes? I only had a peanut allergy as a child which I grew out of and mild hayfever when grass was cut. Now in my 40's the thing seems to have started to go completely out of control! Driving me nuts altogether now, had to take an antihistamine today, itchy swelling clammy eyelids..yeuch:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm sorry to hear that about the poor little man! It's a sad fact that as well as inheriting your wonderful traits they also inherit the not-so-fine ones :(

I'm sorry to hear that about the poor little man! It's a sad fact that as well as inheriting your wonderful traits they also inherit the not-so-fine ones :(

I just really hope the hayfever is the extent of the medicinal traits the poor mite has inherited from me!

Seems to have eased slightly this morning- but I still feel like I have grit in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonathanAd

Hey guys I am also some kind of etching in my eyes regularly and eyes are becoming red. I don't know why this is happening with me.Some one told me not to rub single eye with one hand? I am surprised what may be the logic behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 irishlurker

so stoked on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm interested to find this thread. I never considered myself a person who had hayfever, but at intervals and for no reason that I can find I have a day or so of sneezing and runny nose. I mean constant sneezing, every few seconds for a full day. Then usually it disappears overnight.

It doesn't seem to affect me when I am away from the house and I can even tell a difference between being upstairs or downstairs. Over the past month it has been much more frequent, but prior to that it would be a dozen times a year, any time of the year, almost always on weekends, and no obvious causes.

I have cats, but there have been cats in the house forever. No obvious plant connection, nothing brought into the house, no obvious weather connection. I even phoned the water department and asked if they put anything into the water on an occasional basis. I'm baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

Windy days always stir up more dust pollen and mould spors causing more irritation use a saline nasal wash to clear out the irritants. Get rid of carpets and cut down on gluten intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Since we're coming into Summer and I'm a long-term sufferer of hayfever, I thought I might as well give my two cents.

I think I first got hayfever when I was around 10. My worst symptom was an extremely blocked nose that pretty much ruined my summer :(
    Sneezing and itchy eyes were with me the whole time too.
    I got a steroid injection three times throughout my teenage years and each time it completely cleared my hayfever symptoms after 24 hours and lasted for about 2 years! :)

These days (I'm in my mid 20s), hayfever doesn't seem to affect me as much as it used to (or else I'm managing it better!). What I have been doing for the last few years is taking an anti-histamine tablet daily from about May until September and also a nasal spray for the same duration (<< this was recommended to me by a doctor). For the anti-histamine, I always buy the cheaper generic version of Zirtek/Clarityn etc. For the nasal spray, Beconase works well for me.
    Taking the anti-histamine for a period of a few months helps to build up a stronger immune response to allergies and Beconase gives me a small dose of a steroid which I know will help me.

Most importantly, these two medicines take time to have an effect. So it's much better to start taking them before your hayfever symptoms are in full swing.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Anyone else not suffering yet?

Was doing ok until this week, not surpisingly started taking the antihistamines on tuesday. Itchy eyes driving me mad as usual.....:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

SlimCi wrote: »
    Was doing ok until this week, not surpisingly started taking the antihistamines on tuesday. Itchy eyes driving me mad as usual.....:(

I kicked off this week also, was very bad yesterday and had to take a neoclarityn last night. Was fine today though. My nose was so itchy I could have shoved a hot poker up it yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

ChewChew wrote: »

So far so good but it's usually June for me anyway.

So far so good but it's usually June for me anyway.
    ah ok. I'm usually at it in April. now I know it was a chilly one, but so far I've not had so much as a sneeze. I'm a little bit worried.. lol

Oddly enough- no problems here so far- I'm used to getting slaughtered with it, very pleased not to have to debate tablets versus the injection just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ah ok. I'm usually at it in April. now I know it was a chilly one, but so far I've not had so much as a sneeze. I'm a little bit worried.. lol

Stingy eyes only so far - usually really hits in June though.
    Oddly enough- no problems here so far- I'm used to getting slaughtered with it, very pleased not to have to debate tablets versus the injection just yet.

My doctor, after about 13 years of giving me the injection, has convinced me against it this year. She wants me to try anti-histamines and leukotriene suppressants.

I'll give it a go....but after so many years of the injection, I feel quiet vulnerable :o

juke wrote: »
    My doctor, after about 13 years of giving me the injection, has convinced me against it this year.
    I want the name of your GP!!! Mine would only give me 5 injections, so Last year was year 5. This year, she said no way! So I have my stash of Anti Histamines, hay max and drops on the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I want the name of your GP!!! Mine would only give me 5 injections, so Last year was year 5. This year, she said no way! So I have my stash of Anti Histamines, hay max and drops on the ready.

You could start taking the anti-histamines etc. now instead of waiting for hayfever symptoms to surface. Your body will then build up a good anti-histamine response for when it needs it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Funny, was just talking to my brother about this on Sunday. My doc prescribed avamys for me prior to the 'season'. I figured tht was what was keeping symptoms at bay, but my brother said he's also not suffering badly at all, and he usually suffers, but he had exams and took nothing (he just forgot)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thought I had flu as I had forgotten how debilitating bad hay fever is.

Hay and sileage cutting also in full spate around the house.

Forgot to get piriton yesterday too so all I havet to hand is dramamine. Abed for other reasons so will not be out till Friday now.

Ah well!

Blessings and peace

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Swollen eyeball and itchy nose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The last few days have been the worst for me so far this year, though not a patch on previous years or particularly when I was a teenager. Helps that I'm not forced to mow the lawn (don't even have a lawn thankfully!) or go playing in freshly mowed fields anymore :)

This last week has been a nightmare! I'm now taking lorat, clareeze and cetrine allergy 1 of each per day! My eyes, funnily enough, are not too bad this year but the itch in my ears, the roof of my mouth and my throat is unbearable. I wish my GP would continue giving me the injection but he won't! gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

This last week has been a nightmare! I'm now taking lorat, clareeze and cetrine allergy 1 of each per day! My eyes, funnily enough, are not too bad this year but the itch in my ears, the roof of my mouth and my throat is unbearable. I wish my GP would continue giving me the injection but he won't! gah!

Have to say - I'm doing ok - Neoclarityn & Singulair daily. Dr. says I should take Neoclarityn daily forever. Eyes a bit ichy, few headaches, but not too bad, given the way I usually am.

Normally in June I have streaming eyes, running ichy nose, feel like I've a constant hangover etc and would be topping up the injection with Clarityn - so maybe it's the the Singulair that's working for me....which pains me 'cos it's shocking expensive.

• Advertisement

today was bad. Blurry vision and watery eyes, and had taken the clareeze and nasacort. Chest is clear enough though ear and throat was a bit sore last night.....oh the joys of it!

Advertisement