Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pan Am [ABC - SPOILERS]

• 20-07-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mike-vogel-replaces-jonah-lotam-212267

Some reshuffling is taking place at ABC's new fall drama Pan Am.
    Blue Valentine actor Mike Vogel has joined the 1960s-set series as male lead character Dean, The Hollywood Reporter confirms. Vogel is replacing Generation Kill actor Jonah Lotan, who played the role in the pilot.
    The Sony TV-produced Pan Am, set to premiere on Sundays in the post-Desperate Housewives time slot, revolves around a group of pilots and flight attendants for Pan Am Airlines. Dean is tapped to serve as captain on Pan Am's newest plane, the Majestic, and is living his boyhood dream of being a pilot.
    Created by Jack Orman, Pan Am premieres Sunday, Sept. 25 at 10 p.m. and also stars Christina Ricci, Kelli Garner, Margot Robbie, Karine Vanasse and Michael Mosley.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I can tell already, I'm going to love this.
    I love how they're selling with Golden Globe Nominee Christina Ricci yet she's barely even in this trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I like the sound of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

To air on the Beeb: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s165/pan-am/news/a332056/pan-am-to-air-on-bbc-two-in-the-uk.html

New US drama Pan Am will air on BBC Two in the UK.

The channel has picked up the UK rights to the series, which focuses on the employees of the Pan Am airline in the 1960s, Broadcast reports.

Pan Am, which will premiere in the US in September, features a cast including Christina Ricci, Mike Vogel and Kelli Garner.

The BBC's head of acquisition Sue Deeks claimed that the show is a "breath of fresh air".

She also described the series as a "colourful and stylish drama set in a captivating era that changed the world".

BBC Two's controller Janice Hadlow added: "With a love story at its heart and a great unfolding plot that hints at the danger and mystery to come, viewers will be in for an exciting but turbulent ride."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

I really like the sound of this, so when/what will be the first big air disaster?

When ER did em, the did em v well!!

Sparty's Erin Cummings joins Pan Am: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/02/erin-cummings/

Passion, adventure and espionage… They experienced it all – and they experienced it at 30,000 feet. The style of the 1960s, the energy and excitement of the Jet Age and a drama full of sexy entanglements deliciously mesh in the highly anticipated new series, “Pan Am,” premiering SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Welcome to the Jet Age. It’s 1963. WWII and Korea are history. A new kind of war, a Cold War, is underway. The world is poised on the brink of a cultural revolution, and everywhere change is in the air. In this modern world, air travel represents the height of luxury, and Pan Am is the biggest name in the business. The planes are sleek and glamorous, the pilots are rock stars, and the stewardesses are the most desirable women in the world. Not only are these flyboys and girls young and good looking, but to represent Pan Am they also have to be educated, cultured and refined. They’re trained to handle everything from in-air emergencies to unwanted advances – all without rumpling their pristine uniforms or mussing their hair. These pre-feminist women form a powerful sisterhood, as they enjoy the rare opportunity to travel outside the country -- something most women in this age can only aspire to – and one of the few career options that offers them empowerment and respect.

At Pan Am there’s Dean (Mike Vogel), a cocky, charismatic and ambitious new pilot – the first of a new breed not trained in war. A farm boy from a small rural town, Dean finds himself thrust into a leadership position at Pan Am far too young, but is eager to prove himself as the new face of the airline. On the sly, he’s dating Bridget (guest star Annabelle Wallis), a beauty with a mysterious past. Co-pilot Ted (Michael Mosley) comes from wealth and privilege, but his powerful family is a blessing and a curse, and he has his own dark secrets. A rebellious bohemian, Maggie (Christina Ricci) turns into a buttoned up professional for work in order to see the world, trying to balance her hunger for life with her undefined ambitions. Also on this crew is flirtatious French stewardess Colette (Karine Vanasse), who is the empathetic caretaker of the group. And finally there are the Sisters, the spirited Kate (Kelli Garner) and her beauty queen younger sister, Laura (Margot Robbie), a runaway bride who recently fled a life of domestic boredom to take to the skies.

In the premiere episode, “Pilot,” Dean takes on his first assignment since his promotion, piloting the Clipper Majestic on its inaugural New York to London flight. Bridget is supposed to be his lead stewardess, until she’s a no-show for the flight. Grounded purser Maggie is called in to fill in for her. On the same fateful flight, Kate adds another dimension to her work as she takes on her first assignment from U.S. intelligence. Her stress is compounded when she discovers that newly minted stewardess, Laura, her sister, is also working the same flight.
    “Pan Am” stars Christina Ricci (“Penelope”) as Maggie, Margot Robbie (“Neighbours”) as Laura, Michael Mosley (“Justified”) as Ted, Mike Vogel (“The Help,” “Blue Valentine”) as Dean, Karine Vanasse (“Polytechnique”) as Colette, and Kelli Garner (“Going the Distance”) as Kate.

Guest starring are David Harbour as Sabel/Anderson, Jeremy Davidson as Handsome Stranger/Richard, Annabelle Wallis as Bridget Pierce, Will Chase as John, Veanne Cox as Miss Havemeyer, C.J. Wilson as Howard, Kate Jennings Grant as Judith and Hope Allen as Evelyn.
    Series creator Jack Orman (“ER,” “Men of a Certain Age,”), Thomas Schlamme (“The West Wing,” “Parenthood,” “Mr. Sunshine”) and Nancy Hult Ganis (“Akeelah and the Bee”) are executive producers. Orman also wrote the pilot, with Schlamme directing. “Pan Am” is produced by Jack Orman Productions, Out of the Blue Entertainment and Shoe Money Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television.

• Advertisement

Interesting news, Pan Am + Charlie's Angels will air eps. out-of-order, always a bad sign:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/09/charlies-angels-and-pan-am-to-air-out.html

Pan Am kicks off tonight, i expect it to be less Mad Men and more soapy.

Know what?...i'm giving this 5/5 just for the AMAZING production values alone!, it looked stunning, utterly stunning!

The production vales are HUGE, jesus....movie levels, huge sets, very high end CGI, costumes, period 60's, 100's of extras, vintage cars galore. It looked utterly superb, they thre a TON of money at it and you see it onscreen.

But lets talk characters and script, it was fairly cheesy stuff at first, in fact i kinda thought...hey this is a bit naff :confused: , but by the second half it really picked up. It's interesting they gone with spies! :eek: - yeah, Pan Am stewardesses were used as spies in the 60's...the Cold War and everything, so that angle was the most interesting part.

I think people might say Pan am is all style over stubstance....and i get that, in part i agree, there wasn't anything real meaty in the characters and script. What sells it is the production values and look, however i very much doubt they'll be able to maintain these levels of quality over the course of a season with a standard per episode budget.

The girls look great, it's very 60's....it's a bit cheesy, it's not exactly edgy or raw, but based on the pilot i'll definately see ep. 2 and see where they are taking this show.

It won't be for everyone but i'd recomend this JUST for the visual eye candy alone :)

Ken Tucker sums my thoughts uo better, give him a read: http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/09/25/pan-am-christina-ricci/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Interesting news, Pan Am + Charlie's Angels will air eps. out-of-order, always a bad sign:

****ing ABC, why do networks insist on doing this with serialised shows? if each show was a one off that had plot elements that didnt affect the next one it would be fine but im guessing this is gonna screw with the show and just piss people off. They did it last season with Happy endings and it just threw the whole season out of whack.

Anyway down to the show, i enjoyed it, was pleasently surprised when they threw in the spy element and it will hopefully stop it from becoming a soap opera in the sky as richard is predicting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I just don't get airing episodes out of sequence. Is there any point whatsoever? :S

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched it this morning and imagine my surprise to see Donna from Neighbours in one of the lead roles!!! I loved her in Neighbours and thought she could do better than an aussie soap but I never expected her to be a lead on a massive show like this so soon after leaving. Good for her!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, there was a lot going on in the pilot but I guess that's always the case, trying to set it all up and introduce everyone and all that.

It looks so expensive to make, I wonder will they be able to keep up the production values for a whole season?

• Advertisement

I watched it this morning and imagine my surprise to see Donna from Neighbours in one of the lead roles!!! I loved her in Neighbours and thought she could do better than an aussie soap but I never expected her to be a lead on a massive show like this so soon after leaving. Good for her!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, there was a lot going on in the pilot but I guess that's always the case, trying to set it all up and introduce everyone and all that.

It looks so expensive to make, I wonder will they be able to keep up the production values for a whole season?

Not a chance!....the CGI alone would cost a fortune, never minds the sets and cars etc.

Not a chance!....the CGI alone would cost a fortune, never minds the sets and cars etc.

Well I'd imagine there'll be quite a few episodes where we don't see them anywhere other than in the plane set where all they need is a few clouds outside the window every now and then.

Well I'd imagine there'll be quite a few episodes where we don't see them anywhere other than in the plane set where all they need is a few clouds outside the window every now and then.

They've set the bar sooo high, production wise, i think people would notice a drop in budget. It's gonna happen.

DeWitt wrote: »
    I can tell already, I'm going to love this.
    I love how they're selling with Golden Globe Nominee Christina Ricci yet she's barely even in this trailer.

LOL!...she was barely in the bloody pilot!! :confused:

^ Her hair deserves a golden globe for getting itself a professional cut and blow out while in the taxi on the way to the helicopter. That's very versatile hair acting.

Was/is the Pan Am buliding now the Citigroup building in New York?

Edit - ahh, Metlife: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Building

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_World_Airways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I don't understand at all why they would do this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Original hq of pam am!

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/pan%20am.html
    Kelly McGillis of Top Gun's bar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What channel is this on?? How are you watching it??

I think I am going to LOVE this!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was that the first jet in service, is that why they made such a big deal of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

was that the first jet in service, is that why they made such a big deal of it.

No. The DeHaviland Comet was the first in service and the DC-8 was introduced a little later than the B707. However the B707 was the first commercially successful jet liner, it broke 1000 deliveries. (The military version is still in service today for AWACS and refuelling roles)
    The B707 was the jet that essentially opened up mass travel in the same way that the B747 did in the early 70's. It is also iconic in the it lead to the B7x7 series of jet aircraft. While not technically important it does help the marketing push to have a catchy name.

Just a note here, CTV in Canada are airing this at 8pm as opposed to ABC in the US at 10pm, this means it's out earlier and in fact you *could* see it before it evens airs in the US. I don't understand WHY ABC have it @ 10?....because it's light as air and could easily be shown at 8, there is nothing in the content that needs it to be 10pm.

I belive The Playboy Club airs early in Canada as well, just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I enjoyed the first episode. It was terribly schmaltzy at times alright which nearly killed it for me but the spy angle has the potential to be interesting.Will give it another 2 or 3 eps but not sure about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

I have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Dont get me wrong, it was no Lost pilot, didnt blow my mind, wont set the world alight
    but it was well paced, nice glimpse into the background of the characters and seemed kinda charming............
    Overall
    Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it was a wig, its was in her bag /imdb

any chance they'll release the second episode online?

Love it! Love it love it love it!

I've just started the Bridget story. I'm intrigued!

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to buy myself a girdle :D

Looking forward to tonights ep.!, hope the visual quality keeps up!

Meh!....while the production values and look of ep. 2 were as good as the pilot the actual ep. was pretty boring and slow paced. It's a relationship drama and certainly style over substance.

What annoyed me was Laura....why the hell did they change her hair color to blonde?, she looked much better with the redy/auburn color of the pilot....what is even more jarring is the mother on the flight had the Life magazine with Laura's pic...and she wasn't blonde!

Not much arc progression, we found out what happen to Bridget, twas mostly exposition and inter-personal stuff, i'll stick with it just for the visuals but it's not riveting tv and it's lighter then a puff of air, PGtv....tbh i'm not sure how something like this could run for multiple season, take out the pretty weak spy angle and you're left with a glossy period soap opera.

2/5

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

....while the production values and look of ep. 2 were as good as the pilot the actual ep. was pretty boring and slow paced. It's a relationship drama and certainly style over substance.

....... it's lighter then a puff of air, PGtv.............take out the pretty weak spy angle and you're left with a glossy period soap opera.
    To be honest I was never expecting anything more so I'm not disappointed!!

• Advertisement

Pan Am dropped sharper then i thought, 29% and 2.5 demo (3.1 last week), posters noted what i did: Pan Am was odd last night. One of the characters suddenly had much blonder hair. There were continuity issues with their costumes. The episode just seemed to be thrown together. A definite change in quality from the pilot to this episode.

^ this could account for the fact the aired the episode out of production order, instead of ep. 2 they showed ep. 3....#2 won't be shown at all apparently.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/03/tv-ratings-sunday-pan-am-desperate-housewives-fox-animations-fall-sunday-night-football-tops-night/105724/

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/pan-am-season-1-episode-2-paris/

Advertisement