Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the most fuel efficient van??

• 24-08-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

How we doing!?

does anyone know which diesel van (around Hiace/Transporter/Transit sized) would be the most fuel efficient??

I'm trying to convince my Dad that I could afford one instead of my 1.3l petrol Mitsubishi Colt.

I suppose the van would be around 2.0 litre.

Thanks!

RAYSNEWVAN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Why on earth would you want a van over a car? Unless you need a van don't drive one.

Most will be fuel efficient but not as good as a small Japanese car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Renault Trafic / Nissan Primastar / Opel Vivaro 1.9 or a VW Transporter 1.9 will all do between 45 and 55 to the gallon if driven properly. The Renault / Nissan / Opel should be from mid 05 onwards to avoid gearbox issues. Ford Transits and Toyota Hiaces would be the worst on fuel. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Also don't forget, quoted number are for empty vans, if you plan on carrying stuff in the van, the MPG drops drastically with weight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

robtri wrote: »
    Also don't forget, quoted number are for empty vans, if you plan on carrying stuff in the van, the MPG drops drastically with weight...

I was driving a Transporter and with a few sheets of timber in the back it dropped to the low 20's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Onkle wrote: »
    I was driving a Transporter and with a few sheets of timber in the back it dropped to the low 20's

You'd have been drivin her like she was stolen though, wouldnt ya...:pac:

OP, is there any reason why you need/want a van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

raysnewvan wrote: »
    How we doing!?

does anyone know which diesel van (around Hiace/Transporter/Transit sized) would be the most fuel efficient??

I'm trying to convince my Dad that I could afford one instead of my 1.3l petrol Mitsubishi Colt.

I suppose the van would be around 2.0 litre.

Thanks!

RAYSNEWVAN

Have you looked into the costs of servicing a van, DOE every year etc. You'd be doing well to run a van for less then a 1.3 car. Then your limited to 2 passengers, 1 in some vans. Unless you are going to be moving loads of big objects then I'd avoid one.

Advertisement