Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

[QUOTE=Aapplying for a course and it is not your first degree that you would be liable for full fees. Is this still true if this is your first course was NOT in Ireland? If you have not officially taken up a position on the CAO would you still be counted as having done a first degree? e.g Baechelor of Arts in an American University[/QUOTE]santeSamuel22;80357530]Hi guys, just a quick question. I know that if you are
    paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi

Yes, unfortunately the Dept of Ed will only provide free fees for your first shot at a complete undergrad course. If you hold a qualification at the same or higher level than the one you are now going to do then its very unlikely you would get free fees or any grant support.
    It doesn't matter where you did your initial qualification. The only loophole would be if your existing degree was assessed as being at a lower level than a comparable Irish qualification, e.g. if your course was considered comparable to a level 7 degree in Ireland then you could qualify for free fees etc for a one year 'top-up' course to bring it to a level 8 standard.

However, if a period of five years has lapsed following the receipt of a previous third level grant, you are eligible for another third level grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

paky wrote: »

However, if a period of five years has lapsed following the receipt of a previous third level grant, you are eligible for another third level grant.

This second chance rule only applies if you have not received any qualifications during your previous study. If you do then you are ineligible for free fees or a grant for any new course at the same level as your current qualification.

AsanteSamuel has implied he already has a qualification from his previous study in the US so the 2nd chance rule does not apply.

You can check this with the Dept of Education Student support unit Tel: 057 9325317.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

This second chance rule only applies if you have not received any qualifications during your previous study. If you do then you are ineligible for free fees or a grant for any new course at the same level as your current qualification.

AsanteSamuel has implied he already has a qualification from his previous study in the US so the 2nd chance rule does not apply.

You can check this with the Dept of Education Student support unit Tel: 057 9325317.

I didn't know that. I thought that only applied to individuals who were assisted in receiving their qualification in Ireland.

paky wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I thought that only applied to individuals who were assisted in receiving their qualification in Ireland

Nope, qualifications from anywhere count.

And although I may agree with your sentiments Paky I've edited the end of your post as it could be considered to be hovering over the line of advocating fraud ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Hi I'm a bit confused. Were you on VTOS or BTEA because they are two separate things?

If you are going to college you should definitely send in the BTEA application form. If you are currently on Jobseekers you can't keep this payment and study so you have to apply for BTEA. To get BTEA for college you need nine months on a Social welfare payment and this can include time spent on VTOS or previous BTEA as long as you are now currently on Jobseekers.

sorry about the confusion i was on vtos and had to sign off at the end of june i am currently waiting to see if i am entitled to any social welfare i know you have to be receiving social welfare to apply for BTEA College is starting 6th Sept so I am probably out of time I dont think I will qualify for social welfare as my partner is currently working making about €420 before tax a week

• Advertisement

p38 wrote: »
    sorry about the confusion i was on vtos and had to sign off at the end of june i am currently waiting to see if i am entitled to any social welfare i know you have to be receiving social welfare to apply for BTEA College is starting 6th Sept so I am probably out of time I dont think I will qualify for social welfare as my partner is currently working making about €420 before tax a week

Its a bit of a wait and see at the minute so. Even if you only qualify for a partial rate of JSA or JSB that should be enough to get you full rate BTEA. And your time on VTOS will count towards the 9 months qualifying period.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Its a bit of a wait and see at the minute so. Even if you only qualify for a partial rate of JSA or JSB that should be enough to get you full rate BTEA. And your time on VTOS will count towards the 9 months qualifying period.

thanks for the reply so do you recommend sending in the BTEA application or waiting?

p38 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply so do you recommend sending in the BTEA application or waiting?

I'd try to hand it in. They might not accept it though until there is a decision made as to your JS entitlements. But the sooner they have it, the sooner they process it. There can be delays with receiving the BTEA so the sooner the application gets in, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

well i got a letter today saying i'm ineligible for the grant based on the fact i done 3 months of a level6/7 course 5years ago (and didn't get the grant then either), but I called the help desk and they reckon I could appeal based on the fact the course I've applied for has an optional 4th year that would make it a level 8 so if I intend on doing the 4th year that would make me eligible.

Has anyone ever successfully appealed before? Or have any tips on appealing?

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    well i got a letter today saying i'm ineligible for the grant based on the fact i done 3 months of a level6/7 course 5years ago (and didn't get the grant then either), but I called the help desk and they reckon I could appeal based on the fact the course I've applied for has an optional 4th year that would make it a level 8 so if I intend on doing the 4th year that would make me eligible.

Has anyone ever successfully appealed before? Or have any tips on appealing?

Hi, DF,

If you only did 3/4 months of the course and its more than 5 years ago then you should be eligible for the full grant under the 2nd chance rule. Do you already have a previous completed qualification?

• Advertisement

Hi, DF,

If you only did 3/4 months of the course and its more than 5 years ago then you should be eligible for the full grant under the 2nd chance rule. Do you already have a previous completed qualification?

yes thats what I thought, im in the middle of writing the appeal now

I have a fetacl level 5 component and fetac level 6diploma (both part-time courses)

but the letter said i was refused because I previously attended an undergraduate level 6 or 7 so surely they aren't considering the fetac level 6 as undergrad course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Got the list of documents needed from SUSI today, just wondering it says I need evidence of independent residence from Oct 1st 2011 to one month prior to the letter, does that mean I need two bills, one from last October and one for July or is it a bill for each month from October?

yes thats what I thought, im in the middle of writing the appeal now

I have a fetacl level 5 component and fetac level 6diploma (both part-time courses)

but the letter said i was refused because I previously attended an undergraduate level 6 or 7 so surely they aren't considering the fetac level 6 as undergrad course?

FETAC level 6 is not an Undergrad course in the context of third level. It sounds like the grant assessor got mixed up. Ring the Dept of Ed dept that covers this and they will give you clarity on your entitlement to grant, fee etc.
    Tel: 057 9325317

From the info you've given, DF, it looks to me like you should be grant eligible

zero19 wrote: »
    Got the list of documents needed from SUSI today, just wondering it says I need evidence of independent residence from Oct 1st 2011 to one month prior to the letter, does that mean I need two bills, one from last October and one for July or is it a bill for each month from October?

I think its one for October and one for July. Don't think you need one from each month.

FETAC level 6 is not an Undergrad course in the context of third level. It sounds like the grant assessor got mixed up. Ring the Dept of Ed dept that covers this and they will give you clarity on your entitlement to grant, fee etc.
    Tel: 057 9325317

From the info you've given, DF, it looks to me like you should be grant eligible

thanks for that, I called up the dept and the lady I spoke to saw no reason for me not to be eligible as a 2nd chance student, so have done out the appeal and will send if off in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Steevy

zero19 wrote: »

Its a bill for each month from October. If you pay for your electric, internet and telephone bills then you can easily print them online

so just rang SW office to see what the hold up is with BTEA approval, (5th call in as many days) and the lady looked it up and she says from what she can see i've been approved YIPEEEEEEE

So i guess anyone else waiting for BTEA just keep calling, try be as polite as possible and they can help you over the phone :)

so now i've just to wait to see how my grant appeal goes, i posted it today so should know this time next month. In the meantime if i take out a loan to cover the contribution charges and then if i win my appeal will I be refunded when the college get paid by SUSI?

so now i've just to wait to see how my grant appeal goes, i posted it today so should know this time next month. In the meantime if i take out a loan to cover the contribution charges and then if i win my appeal will I be refunded when the college get paid by SUSI?

Congrats on getting the BTEA,

Fingers crossed on the grant appeal. Think you have a good shot at getting it. And yes, if you pay the contribution yourself and are then approved for the grant you will be refunded. I wouldn't like to speculate when you'll be refunded but you will get your money back :)

Congrats on getting the BTEA,

Fingers crossed on the grant appeal. Think you have a good shot at getting it. And yes, if you pay the contribution yourself and are then approved for the grant you will be refunded. I wouldn't like to speculate when you'll be refunded but you will get your money back :)

thanks paperclip for all your advise you really seem to know the in's and out of this grant process

yeah now that both the college and SW seem to see me as a 2n chance student I don't see why SUSI don't.

thanks paperclip for all your advise you really seem to know the in's and out of this grant process

No probs. Glad to put my hard-won knowledge to good use. :D
    yeah now that both the college and SW seem to see me as a 2n chance student I don't see why SUSI don't.

A bit of prob with SUSI at the moment is that its staff don't have the same level of experience in dealing with these applications as the regional VEC's and County Councils had. Most of the local office staff could do these assessments in their sleep but there's a steep learning curve for a new agency like SUSI and it is, unsurprisingly, leading to a few mistakes and problems for applicants.

Fingers crossed for you DF.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this.

I started my first day at Kylemore College out in Ballyfermot doing a Music Performance/Technology PLC. Under VTOS guidelines, I found out I was eligible for the scheme (21 years old, receiving Jobseeker's Allowance for 6 months or more) but had to wait until today to actually talk to the VTOS coordinator at the school itself. It turns out the scheme was cut altogether for the college, so I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I'm unsure if I can keep claiming my JSB whilst in full-time education or if I can receive the VTOS payments/sign up for it somewhere else. I have to travel a fair bit just to get to the college so I'm not sure if the current amount I'm on will even be enough every week. Help and advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this.

I started my first day at Kylemore College out in Ballyfermot doing a Music Performance/Technology PLC. Under VTOS guidelines, I found out I was eligible for the scheme (21 years old, receiving Jobseeker's Allowance for 6 months or more) but had to wait until today to actually talk to the VTOS coordinator at the school itself. It turns out the scheme was cut altogether for the college, so I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I'm unsure if I can keep claiming my JSB whilst in full-time education or if I can receive the VTOS payments/sign up for it somewhere else. I have to travel a fair bit just to get to the college so I'm not sure if the current amount I'm on will even be enough every week. Help and advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

You cant keep JSB but you can apply for BTEA. Details here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/BacktoEducationProgramme.aspx Contact your local DSP office and ask them about it. Don't say you've started the course yet as if you do that then you could have your JSB cut straight away.

To get BTEA for your course you need to be 21 or older and on JS for 3 months so you should be ok. You will get the max standard rate of payment on BTEA; for a single person its €188/wk net of child or other dependent allowances and you will get a cost of education allowance in October amounting to €300.

You cant keep JSB but you can apply for BTEA. Details here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/BacktoEducationProgramme.aspx Contact your local DSP office and ask them about it. Don't say you've started the course yet as if you do that then you could have your JSB cut straight away.

To get BTEA for your course you need to be 21 or older and on JS for 3 months so you should be ok. You will get the max standard rate of payment on BTEA; for a single person its €188/wk net of child or other dependent allowances and you will get a cost of education allowance in October amounting to €300.

Well I started today but technically it was only an induction, I don't start the course in full until next Monday, so would I still be okay in applying for BTEA tomorrow? Or would I be screwed because of a technicality? What info do I need?

It depends on the person in DSP. Some are grand and some are a bit jobsworthy. Say that you've found a course you want to do and you want to apply for BTEA. You can actually download the application form from the DSP website here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/bte1.pdf

You drop that in to DSP but make sure you have the start date of the course on it as this is the date they start paying your BTEA from.

You can apply for BTEA up to 30 days after the course starts but it can take a few weeks to approve it so get it in sooner rather than later.

It depends on the person in DSP. Some are grand and some are a bit jobsworthy. Say that you've found a course you want to do and you want to apply for BTEA. You can actually download the application form from the DSP website here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/bte1.pdf

You drop that in to DSP but make sure you have the start date of the course on it as this is the date they start paying your BTEA from.

You can apply for BTEA up to 30 days after the course starts but it can take a few weeks to approve it so get it in sooner rather than later.

Ahhh okay. So will I still be able to receive my JSA up until the BTEA comes through? You're a lifesaver for providing all of this info!

Ahhh okay. So will I still be able to receive my JSA up until the BTEA comes through? You're a lifesaver for providing all of this info!

You should be ok. But if you are attending the course before getting BTEA approval maybe don't broadcast it iykwim. Most DSP staff are grand but there are one or two who go strictly by the book ;).

And you're welcome by the way.

You should be ok. But if you are attending the course before getting BTEA approval maybe don't broadcast it iykwim. Most DSP staff are grand but there are one or two who go strictly by the book ;).

And you're welcome by the way.

So should I just inform the social welfare office about the BTEA before I put the application in, or after while I'm waiting for approval?

So should I just inform the social welfare office about the BTEA before I put the application in, or after while I'm waiting for approval?

:confused:
    Well they will know about the BTEA anyway once the application goes in. Do you mean inform them about the course?

You could ask them if it would be ok to start the course before you get BTEA approval. At least then you would know where you stand.

:confused:
    Well they will know about the BTEA anyway once the application goes in. Do you mean inform them about the course?

You could ask them if it would be ok to start the course before you get BTEA approval. At least then you would know where you stand.

Hahaha my apologies, talking about all this mess I failed to realize the place I'm getting JSA from and applying to for BTEA are one in the same place!

• Advertisement

Thank you for all your help paperclip, I printed out the forms and have them fully filled in, ready to go down to the office tomorrow morning. So I'll just be nipping in to tell them I've already secured my place on the course, it starts next week and that I'm applying for BTEA yes? If it takes a few weeks to go through, does this mean I'll remain on JSA until the BTEA comes through or will it be stopped as of next week/backpayment of BTEA to cover what I lost while the application went through?

Advertisement