Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The next person who refers to David as 'flipper' or 'thunderbird' will get a yellow card. Repeat offenses will escalate to red cards and bans.

For the regulars of this thread - please report posts if you see these two demeaning terms (or any others) being used in relation to David / Mat Fraser.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Val should hook up with Wayne they are both gagging for it and nada so far from Lucy and Leo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cormac Battle

Could a person really get an emergency passport that quickly in real life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fccomment

Esther and Lucy should join forces.

Is Jimmy in Australia too? Did anyone let him know about Louise's accident?

• Advertisement

Esther must be furious with David as she carefully hides the stolen/mislaid passport from view

Great acting from Mr. Fahy with Tommy and Ben. Realistic acting.

Why did Dervla tear up her results? I couldn't read them and she tore it up so fast I couldn't understand what was she was doing? What is anthropology or whatever she wants to study?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Could a person really get an emergency passport that quickly in real life ?

Yes. I was with someone who realised that they'd lost their passport while on a bus from Limerick to Dublin. He called his mother in Dublin who got everything ready and took it to the passport office and once he got to Dublin he ran to the passport office, verified everything and was given the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Tayla wrote: »
    I'm finding it very hard to feel sorry for Dermot, he's acting as if he's the only person who has ever been cheated on, I think it's so selfish the way he banished Jo to Cork without even stopping to think what it would do to Ben.

I would have thought with him being a foster parent that he would have put the foster kids first aswell but the only person he has thought about in this situation is himself.
    I think they've written it pretty well. Dermot's utterly trenchant stance has been shown to be due to his own insecurities about himself. It's an OTT response by Dermot but it's more believable than the "always-on-the-high-moral-ground" Jo suddenly deciding to launch herself into an affair.
    Of course it then gives time for Dermot to gradually realise he over-reacted and over time he'll eventually allow Jo back which will probably co-incide with her return from maternity leave.

Dermot's reaction is OTT because it is soapworld.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Dermot's reaction isn't OTT at all. His wife repeatedly had sex with their friend and neighbour. An awful lot of people would never, ever forgive that. In fact a lot of people would not only not forgive her but would be a lot more angry and make sure everyone who spoke well of her knew the whole truth and know about who she slept with. There are people who would destroy her belongings and attempt to destroy her relationship with their child.

Jo could feasibly be going along with Dermot's wishes in the hope that by putting herself through anything he asks of her, she gives him the time and space he needs to consider forgiving her. Or she could be hoping that he won't cope without her and will come to the realisation that he wants her back. A risky move in some ways but not completely unrealistic, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

sue z wrote: »
    Im not sure if it's totally his house or what but I presume it is so he had every right.

How could it be totally his house? They're married, she has just as much right to stay there as he does

iguana wrote: »
    Dermot's reaction isn't OTT at all. His wife repeatedly had sex with their friend and neighbour. An awful lot of people would never, ever forgive that. In fact a lot of people would not only not forgive her but would be a lot more angry and make sure everyone who spoke well of her knew the whole truth and know about who she slept with. There are people who would destroy her belongings and attempt to destroy her relationship with their child.

It takes a special sort of person to be a foster carer and I don't think foster carers would act like that, they should understand the importance of some stability for the kids they are fostering, Dermot didn't even give it a chance to sink in to see how he felt, he just basically said get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Tayla, I meant I didn't know if he had that house before he met Jo. Making it his house.
    I dont remember you see. That is why I said "Im not SURE if it's totally his house..."
    :)

It is not easy to forgive quickly. Jo is guilty of a huge betrayal of trust. It can't be forgotten after a few days. Dermot is only human. Anger can make people do things in the spur of the moment. It can cloud thoughts and make people react in abnormal ways. It is a soap. It has to be a little bit different to reality. Bizarre and odd and ott is normal in soaps. Soaps need loads of ott drama. They thrive on it. Emily's advice was not exactly encouraging him to keep up with his appeal.

I think that time is a great healer sometimes. It depends on how the individual feels though. Reactions vary.

Jo must know that the marriage is over. She is reading a bed-time story to Ben which has living apart as its central theme. The child is learning that people can break up and live separate lives. A real view of her own situation and a valuable lesson for Ben too.

I think it is Dermot's house unless Jo (as his wife) became a joint owner when they got married.

What will David do next? Suzanne is gone. Will he follow her?

fccomment wrote: »
    It is not easy to forgive quickly. Jo is guilty of a huge betrayal of trust. It can't be forgotten after a few days. Dermot is only human. Anger can make people do things in the spur of the moment. It can cloud thoughts and make people react in abnormal ways.

I just would have thought as a foster carer he would have considered everyone in the equation, he has had time to calm down now, he had 2 foster children desperate to stay with him, he could have considered trying to sort things out for their sake. Everyone seems to be aware that Jo has been banished for what she's done but noone seems to be telling Dermot that it's not fair on Ben.
    It is a soap.

I know it's a soap, everyone knows it's a soap, everyone keeps saying that the actress that played her had to go off for maternity leave so that explains it, I also get that but it's not relevant to the discussion of Dermots character, I'm talking about how Dermot the character is acting after what Jo has done and the path that the scriptwriters have taken.
    Emily's advice was not exactly encouraging him to keep up with his appeal.

I don't know much about foster care myself but I presume he wouldn't have had a chance of winning any kind of appeal like that anyway would he? A single man with 2 foster girls? Plus Emilys report would have had to say that Dermot hid the truth from her about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

I know it's a soap, everyone knows it's a soap, everyone keeps saying that the actress that played her had to go off for maternity leave so that explains it, I also get that but it's not relevant to the discussion of Dermots character, I'm talking about how Dermot the character is acting after what Jo has done and the path that the scriptwriters have taken.
    I hear ya. This thread has been a pantomime recently. Actually way more entertaining than the actual soap itself.:pac:
    Anyway, I used to think Dermot's character was a wishy washy waste of space, but I must admit I am loving this new side to somebody dealing with cheating. No way back.
    I reckon that's really interesting. Be intriguing to see if he is forced to back down due to demonic looking Ben character who cannot act his way out of a paper bag. (Really where did they get him, just whose son is he??).

Love the way Tommy Dillon is only concerned about making himself feel better and that storyline which started out ridiculous (tommy & Jo, really??), now actually has legs, and is a really interesting and in some ways true to life. Well, in as much as Leo's hands in his pockets style acting is that is, which is well, oh dear I better not continue...

Just in reply to Tayla's points, I don't really know why the scriptwriters have chosen to do this with Dermot's character. It is definitely a long, long way from the original Dermot when he first appeared on FC. To be perfectly honest I always thought he was a bit of a joke and never took him too seriously until he married Jo. I never thought that Suzanne would belt the living daylights out of Damien either. I suppose predicting the actions of the characters is what the scriptwriters are trying to change. They want to get their viewers. Who knows.

Badhb, Ben is the son of a doctor who left the country when he was found guilty of helping Floyd to die. The doc (married to Floyd's step-sister) had a baby with a girl called Deirdre. She left the baby with Jo and Dermot (they can't have kids). They did their own fake adoption or something. Deirdre married Dermot's brother Ken later. Tommy and Jo were a bit stupid but that is the way it goes.

I'm glad that the thread has not forgotten about the Fair City tv show/soap. I hope that posts which offend people are reported in future and the moderators deal with them asap if necessary and keep the thread going for the sake of FC viewers/posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It takes a special sort of person to be a foster carer and I don't think foster carers would act like that, they should understand the importance of some stability for the kids they are fostering, Dermot didn't even give it a chance to sink in to see how he felt, he just basically said get out!

That's not very fair on Dermot. The fact that the girls' father did not want them to stay on their own with Dermot probably had a big bearing on his decision. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable fostering 2 children if I didn't have the imprimatur of their father.

• Advertisement

Apart from Dermot's behaviour, it is also a shame that Jo didn't put her son and foster kids first either. It was her who created the mess in the first place. She can live without any obvious discomfort in Cork. She doesn't have to be seen as a disgrace around her own home place. It is Dermot who has to keep the show on the road and deal with her betrayal. If it had been Dermot who had the affair, I think Jo would not be in a very forgiving mood as soon as she would discover the truth. She doesn't strike me as someone who would just forgive and forget immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jenny30

Dermot is hurt by JO. He is angry. It makes sense that he hates Jo. He tried to keep those foster children but the system went against him. What more could he do? Why should he take her back for the sake of children he hardly knows? He has done as much as he can as far as I'm concerned.

Louise MUST be coming back. What point is the storyline otherwise, unless, Suzanne has a prem baby in Australia? Stays there with Bela and lives happily ever after.

I was impressed with the scenes on Thursday with Dermot. He was totally believable. Tommy looked upset and Ben was heartbreaking asking about Jo, very believable also. I did find Bela and Suzannne and the Esther and passport dilemma a little unbelievable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i hope dermot bets a medallion and a hairy chest . Sends ben to cork and becomes the local dirty up all nighter. His heart of stone leaving a trail of despairing women in his wake. His only love a new sportscar and a penchant for not paying his maintenance.
    I would like to see a family court story highlighted.

Apart from Dermot's behaviour, it is also a shame that Jo didn't put her son and foster kids first either.

I agree completely.
    She doesn't have to be seen as a disgrace around her own home place.

I wouldn't say that that would have any bearing on her not coming back, if someone has an affair yes they'll be judged but people would get over it, that person would be judged a hell of a lot more for moving a few hours away and rarely seeing their child anymore!
    jenny30 wrote: »
    Why should he take her back for the sake of children he hardly knows? He has done as much as he can as far as I'm concerned.

That's where we think differently then, as I said already I think it takes a very special person to be a foster carer and I think a foster parent would have at least considered it, he wouldn't have to actually 'take her back'....

what age is Kelly by the way does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I agree completely.

I wouldn't say that that would have any bearing on her not coming back, if someone has an affair yes they'll be judged but people would get over it, that person would be judged a hell of a lot more for moving a few hours away and rarely seeing their child anymore!

That's where we think differently then, as I said already I think it takes a very special person to be a foster carer and I think a foster parent would have at least considered it, he wouldn't have to actually 'take her back'....

Id say shes legal anyway, I think she should start doin playboy as soon as shes legal if she isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Not the same age as the actress playing her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ah jaysis that whole sketch there about throwing out/finding the passport was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

How did David know it was Bella's passport without even opening it?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is Esther David's mam? Why does he not call her "mam" :confused:

• Advertisement

Did Dolly have an affair on the mechanic fella? She'd know all about it so when talking to Germish ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement