Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Pub in Limerick

• 16-02-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I hope someone can give some advice.

We will be in Limerick City this Saturday and Sunday. We would like to watch the Liverpool v Brighton at 4.30pm on Sunday. Could you recommend a pub close to the train station that would be suitable? The match finishes at 6.15pm and we are booked on the 6.35pm train.

I was thinking about going to Flannery's on Catherine St.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I hope someone can give some advice.

We will be in Limerick City this Saturday and Sunday. We would like to watch the Liverpool v Brighton at 4.30pm on Sunday. Could you recommend a pub close to the train station that would be suitable? The match finishes at 6.15pm and we are booked on the 6.35pm train.

I was thinking about going to Flannery's on Catherine St.

How many of you is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

amiable wrote: »
    How many of you is there?

Oh sorry, I forgot to say... only 2!

Oh sorry, I forgot to say... only 2!

Charlie St Georges is ideal so.

Straight across from the train station.
    It was good enough for Richard Harris:)

Fantastic! Thank you so much.

Would I be cheeky to ask another question?

Is there a bus that stops near Thomond Park on the way into the city centre (hoping to visit the Milk Market after we do the 1.30pm tour of the ground) I see a list of city buses on the Bus Eireann website but not sure which is which!

Thank you again.

Is there a bus that stops near Thomond Park on the way into the city centre (hoping to visit the Milk Market after we do the 1.30pm tour of the ground) I see a list of city buses on the Bus Eireann website but not sure which is which!

Thank you again.

Does the tour start at 1.30pm?

I think the Market finishes shortly after 2 but I'm not certain on that.
    The Ballynanty bus goes past Thomond Park but I'm not sure of the number.
    It used to go from Speights which is now Howleys Quay I think in the city centre.
    Straight across from the Savoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thank you again.

The Caherdavin bus stops outside the ground(Old Cratloe Rd)and the Ballynanty bus stops next to the football pitch across from the Thomond Park museum entrance.
    But that said its only a 15/20 minute walk back into the Milk Market, not that there will be much left there as it the market seems to wind down rapidly after the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The Caherdavin Bus the 302 passes Thomond Park on the way into (and out of) town. Go to the market before you go to the ground.

Thank you for your help guys, much appreciated, we might walk, I just wanted to see if the bus was an option too. I had read that the market was open until 4pm on a Saturday, I guess we will go and see if there is anything left!

Thank you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The Market is very quiet after about 2.30 or so. Any time I've been in the area around 4 or so its been totally empty and is either closed up or being closed up.

If you can go in the morning do - its very vibrant then. And it wouldn't take more than 25 minutes or so to walk from the Market to Thomond Park or at a pinch you could get a cab over.

Thank you Bicycle, we are arriving at 12.15 by train so I think I may miss out on the market :-( ah well, thank you for your help.

I had been looking here: http://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/default/index.cfm/calendar-of-events/the-famous-saturday-food-market84/ that's why I thought it would be open, I guess if you are there from 8am you wont have much left by 4pm though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

amiable wrote: »
    Charlie St Georges is ideal so.

Straight across from the train station.
    It was good enough for Richard Harris:)

Not a great pub TV wise though (imo) if there's a crowd, has a long bar and with one of the TVs behind counter and another more suitable one at the back of the pub.

Just in case it is packed and people aren't watching the game you could (if need be) go to The Railway Hotel (opposite Rail Stn.), Austins (next to it on r.h.side of Bus Eireann Depot as you face Station) or The Black Swan on Davis St..

But of course, do try Charlies first, there's sporting and local history on the walls of the place.....rugby & old Limerick mainly, but worth a look.

PS, you should make the Milk Market easily, as mentioned above, it's not so far and you're only a 5 min. stroll away from the buses for Thomond Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

charlies is perfect, i drink in there occasionally, they have two small screens behind the bar,one big one at the front when you come in and a new widescreen lcd down the back.right across the road from the station as well and in my opinion one of the best pints in town

Thank you all for your replies, I'll keep the alternatives in mind.

Thank you all for your help, we watched the first half in Foley's on Sarsfield St as it was near our hotel and we were running late. We made it to Charlie St Georges for the second half, lovely pub, nice bar man too, put the TV on down the back of the pub for us.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Thank you again.

Well were you in charlies yesterday so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Thank you all for your help, we watched the first half in Foley's on Sarsfield St as it was near our hotel and we were running late. We made it to Charlie St Georges for the second half, lovely pub, nice bar man too, put the TV on down the back of the pub for us.

Thanks again!
    john_cappa wrote: »
    Well were you in charlies yesterday so?

Eh? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Eh? Yes.

Whoops missed that! That nice barman who put the telly on was me!

Ah cool!!! Thanks John, we really appreciated it! :-) What a lovely pub you have there! I even spied a Limerick FC picture among the rugby paraphernalia. Very nice pint of Heineken. :-)

Advertisement