Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Custom fit at Carton House recently

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Rodrigo wrote: »
    I recently got fitted out for driver and woods at Carton House and everything there is top class from the guy doing the fitting to the facilities and also the huge selection of shafts, however I'm not so sure if its really worth the bother unless maybe you're a very low handicapper. Like nearly all fitters dealing with moderate to useful golfers, they recommend that you must get your launch angle up. I was told that my 10.5 degree Ping G10 was delofting at impact to about 7 or 8 degrees hence the need to increase the launch angle. On the day I wasn't hitting my own or the trial clubs flat out but he insisted that increasing the launch angle was the way to go, he set the driver to about 12 degrees, who am I to argue. I bought the clubs (Titleist 910 D2 driver, 3 wood and hybrid) and and they are better than my former set BUT not at the settings that Carton House suggested. Out on the course all I was doing was hitting it way up in the air and then dropping like a stone about 50 or more yards less than my Ping G10, I even gave it to a decent golfer for a few drives and he did the same thing with it. Only when I adjusted the clubs down to the lowest possible settings did I begin to get comparable distances and better than my old driver. I think the only real benefit I got out of the fitting was the correct shaft and thank god for adjustable drivers otherwise I'd have been stung with 12 degree driver that would be virtually useless.

I was custom fit recently (Not in Carton) and could see the difference between clubs from watching the ball flight as we progressed through the fitting. They recommended I get my current driver reshafted and I was happy to go with it as I'd seen the benefits amd the launch monitor numbers supported it. Having got my driver back it was a worthwhile exercise.

I'm wondering in your case, as to whether you could see the benefits before you commited to buy. If you did, but the clubs you got aren't delivering, you should go back to them and ask then to re-test or check the spec is the same. I'd expect them to do it as a courtesy.

As an aside, my driver is a 12 degree ping G10 and when I tried different lofts, a 12 degree head kept producing the right launch angle, so don't be put off by the number 12 if it works. (Handicap 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I think the reason that people argue about a topic like this is because they don't specify exactly what point they are making. The truth of this is probably in the middle IMO.

Custom fitting for a golfer with a handicap of 20 or more or a golfer who is relatively new to the game is probably not a fantastic idea because they're swing is not where it could be. There's a point to be made that a player like that should concentrate on improving the flaws in the swing instead of spending hundreds of euro trying (and I would guess failing) to correct them with a different shaft or loft. At the end of the day what kind of idiot with a 22 handicap would not agree with that?

On the other side if you are a decent player who has been playing golf for a long time off a handicap of 15 for example I think there is a strong argument to have a driver fitted instead of strolling in to a shop and randomly picking out a driver, loft and shaft from the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Raisins wrote: »
    Custom fitting for a golfer with a handicap of 20 or more or a golfer who is relatively new to the game is probably not a fantastic idea because they're swing is not where it could be.

I would disagree with this. Custom fitting a high handicapper with for example game improving irons would have a better result for the golfer than just buying anything off the shelf. There's also the confidence factor...the golfer knows they have the "right" clubs...they can rule out the question of equipment then and focus on technique/practice knowing that they have the right gear.

There's a point to be made that a player like that should concentrate on improving the flaws in the swing instead of spending hundreds of euro trying (and I would guess failing) to correct them with a different shaft or loft. At the end of the day what kind of idiot with a 22 handicap would not agree with that?

On the other side if you are a decent player who has been playing golf for a long time off a handicap of 15 for example I think there is a strong argument to have a driver fitted instead of strolling in to a shop and randomly picking out a driver, loft and shaft from the rack.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Loire wrote: »
    I would disagree with this. Custom fitting a high handicapper with for example game improving irons would have a better result for the golfer than just buying anything off the shelf. There's also the confidence factor...the golfer knows they have the "right" clubs...they can rule out the question of equipment then and focus on technique/practice knowing that they have the right gear.

:confused::confused::confused:

Surely you can buy game improving irons in the shop and get advice from a good salesman. Why would you spend so much money having a pro look at fundamentally flawed swing and have him discuss irons with you instead of telling you what you are doing wrong?

Of course if you're loaded and have time on your hands you can do both. Most people though have to choose their battles and where they can get value for money. If you have x amount of money to spend on golf in a given year then I think spending some money on a good set for a high handicapper plus some lessons is a better option.

I don't know how to discuss something with a smiley buy just in case you're suggesting it I'm obviously not making a slight on a high handicapper. I just thought that the point I was making was taken as a given but I can see I was wrong! I think any high handicapper with a bit of sense won't get custom fitted to a swing that is going to be changing or at least that they should be trying to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rodrigo

It does sound a tad like he recommended a 12 degree driver and you thought "no way, that's a hackers club", or "my mates would laugh me off the tee".[/B

It seems to me that some people can't read simple plain English.
    the driver is 10.5 as it says on the bottom for anyone to read however it could be adjusted to 12 or 13 degrees for all anyone would know, who really gives a damm] what its says as long as it does the job. For the last time, the club, the fitting, the fitter etc were all top notch, on the day the numbers were around the same, maybe a bit more with than my current driver, my swing speed was very consistent all the time and the flight did look okay. He also said that with firmer ground a bit more roll would come in to it. I am getting about 10 to 15 yards further and will get even more with firmer ground but only by going against Titleists launch angle recommendations. Launch angle[/U] is the only thing I changed, are those two words that difficult for people to understand? The same on the 3 wood. I dont need any figures or stats to see where the ball now finishes on the fairway compared to the old driver.

• Advertisement

Surely you can buy game improving irons in the shop and get advice from a good salesman. Why would you spend so much money having a pro look at fundamentally flawed swing and have him discuss irons with you instead of telling you what you are doing wrong?

I think, to be fair, it depends on the type of high handicapper we're talking about. Someone new...yeah...buy something off the shelf, practice and get lessons. However, for someone who plays for years and still plays off 22 I think custom fitting could only help...their swing is pretty much as it will be at that stage and a more consistent connection may help eliminate bad shots that contribute to playing a handicap of 22.
    I don't know how to discuss something with a smiley buy just in case you're suggesting it I'm obviously not making a slight on a high handicapper.

That's fair enough, I thought as much, but as my Dad falls into this category of player I was just a bit put out so apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I think, to be fair, it depends on the type of high handicapper we're talking about. Someone new...yeah...buy something off the shelf, practice and get lessons. However, for someone who plays for years and still plays off 22 I think custom fitting could only help...their swing is pretty much as it will be at that stage and a more consistent connection may help eliminate bad shots that contribute to playing a handicap of 22.

That's fair enough, I thought as much, but as my Dad falls into this category of player I was just a bit put out so apologies!

What utter crap, at 22 (whether someone new to the game or not) you are not consistently swinging the club the same way otherwise you will find a way to make a bad swing work.
    We have all been there; I've had days when I'm completely off plane or to inside myself but I grind out a score because I use what I have and adjust accordingly.

What utter crap

Easy there tiger
    at 22 (whether someone new to the game or not) you are not consistently swinging the club the same way otherwise you will find a way to make a bad swing work.

Inconsistent swings are not the only reason a player might be playing to 22. My own father plays off 21 for example and has been to lots of lessons in the last few years. He hits the ball only so so...for some reason he can't seem to hit the ball first and loses distance as a result. He's a short hitter anyway and this puts pressure on his average enough short game. He recently got fitted for game improvement irons and they made a big difference. Who knows, he may well have gotten the same result from an off the shelf purchase but as per my earlier post, at least he knows now he has the right equipment for him. He's in his 60s and is not about to go re-inventing his swing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Easy there tiger

Inconsistent swings are not the only reason a player might be playing to 22. My own father plays off 21 for example and has been to lots of lessons in the last few years. He hits the ball only so so...for some reason he can't seem to hit the ball first and loses distance as a result. He's a short hitter anyway and this puts pressure on his average enough short game. He recently got fitted for game improvement irons and they made a big difference. Who knows, he may well have gotten the same result from an off the shelf purchase but as per my earlier post, at least he knows now he has the right equipment for him. He's in his 60s and is not about to go re-inventing his swing at this stage.

I'm assuming he can hit the ball first some of the time? If not and if he was swinging consistently every time, surely he could just move the ball a little bit back in his stance to improve his ball striking?

I'm assuming he can hit the ball first some of the time? If not and if he was swinging consistently every time, surely he could just move the ball a little bit back in his stance to improve his ball striking?

If I had a dollar everytime I mentioned this :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi,

I was looking for some advice. I currently use an R7 driver (10.5). I am driving the ball pretty consistently and I am getting good yardages. Most guys I play with use 9.5 degree drivers and I usually hit it past them.

Anwyay, I have recently changed my irons to AP2's. I love them and I think they are making me a better ball striker. I want to complete the Titleist set so I am thinking about moving to a 910 D2 9.5 degree. I had planned getting fitted for it.

There is nothing wrong with my driving, I am happy with it. This is more of an indulgence than a necessity.

I have shot 80 on a number of occasions (never lower yet) and usually shoot low to mid 80s. Although sometimes that can go up over 90!!

I love the TM drivers but want to complete the set. How does the D2 910 stack up against the TM drivers? Will the lower loft give me extra yardage (not that yardage is my biggest concern). Would it take much to move from a TM R7 to at Titleist driver.

Am I risking my driving by making this change which isnt really all that necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Arsenium wrote: »
    Am I risking my driving by making this change which isnt really all that necessary?

Technique is the main factor when it come to accuracy, your technique won't change if you get a new driver but if the driver is different it might make you adjust your technique which could cause problems.

If you get fitted it would prevent this happening. Good chance it could improve your numbers so you get more carry etc.

If I were you I would not change unless I was getting fitted, other than that go for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

my tuppence worth - i've always preffered titleist when it comes to my irons and again when I was chanigng my irons late last year, after trying many brands, I went for a titleist CB/MB mix. for what it's worth however, despite trying out most of their models, I have never ever been a fan / able to get to grips with titleist drivers. To be honest I have always found them a bit clunky, lack of feeling and unforgiving compared to other makes (I know there are many loyal titleist iron players who would give similar feedback and these would include low handicap guys). This was no different when I tried the 910 D2 last year, I absoultely hated it depite trying it with a few different shafts and the weight distribution set up differently. In the end I went for the Taylormade Burner TP 2.0 (switching from ping G10 which was also an excellent driver) and am driving the ball better than ever. IMHO - Taylormade have for many years been a superior brand when it comes to drivers. Aside from their overly aggressive marketing they have consistently delivered good quality products in the driver department. I would suggest that if there is nothing wrong with your driving it doesn't need much of a change and a switch to a different philosophy titleist driver might have a negative impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

also on the loft- for a number of years lower loft was always considered the way to go for more distance (however in many cases at the sacrifice of accuracy). recent trends however see many being recommended drivers with higher lofts (like your 10.5 for example). Loft on the driver is not the only determinant of distance - you need to factor in shaft type, flex kick pint weighting etc - the idea being to fit for the optimum combination. for example you may go for a lower loft but if the shaft isn't right the ball may balloon if generating too much spoon or not launch correctly therefore never getting enough height /forward progression. Your optimum shaft / loft combination will ultimately depend on your swing - clubhead speed, launch angle and spin rate you put on it. As you said yourself you're driving past guys with 9.5 drivers so loft not everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi,

I was looking for some advice. I currently use an R7 driver (10.5). I am driving the ball pretty consistently and I am getting good yardages. Most guys I play with use 9.5 degree drivers and I usually hit it past them.

Anwyay, I have recently changed my irons to AP2's. I love them and I think they are making me a better ball striker. I want to complete the Titleist set so I am thinking about moving to a 910 D2 9.5 degree. I had planned getting fitted for it.

There is nothing wrong with my driving, I am happy with it. This is more of an indulgence than a necessity.

I have shot 80 on a number of occasions (never lower yet) and usually shoot low to mid 80s. Although sometimes that can go up over 90!!

I love the TM drivers but want to complete the set. How does the D2 910 stack up against the TM drivers? Will the lower loft give me extra yardage (not that yardage is my biggest concern). Would it take much to move from a TM R7 to at Titleist driver.

Keegan Bradley tweeted a video of his swing a couple of weeks ago which showed he uses a 10.5 degree driver and he is one of the longest hitters around. Higher loft suits some people better at achieving a good launch angle.

If you've decided you want to make a change, be it the club make, loft or shaft, it's best to have hit the clubs first, see how the ball flys and the shot feels and got some back-up info for it.

I think custom fitting is the way to go for you and there's lots of posts on boards to help you decide which fitter to go with. You might walk out thinking the driver you have is the best option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

+1 to that.
    The fitter will use your own driver as a base for comparison, and if it can't be bettered they'll tell you (or at least should tell you). You'll see the numbers on the screen anyway.

Thanks for these educated replies guys. The general feeling that I got from other guys is that the lower the loft, the further the distance. But that is not what my experience is and your replies back that up.

Obviously the correct shaft is the main factor. Unfotunately my playing partners are lefties and I cannot try out their drivers to get an idea of the difference.

Your explanations have clarified things for me and I guess the correct approach is to book in for a fitting and try out the D2 and (probably) R11 (since they have dropped in price a lot with the release of the R11S). Once a fitter can give me the numbers then I can make an informed decision, rather than blowing a load of money on a driver that doesnt suit. It might look good in the bag but if the price for that is a less consistent driving game...then the price is too high :-)

Thank God for sane heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi,

You're mad, in my modest opinion. What does "complete the set" mean. I could understand if you were talking about gap wedge or sand wedge etc. The TM R7 is often regarded as their best ever driver. you're hitting it well. your thinking of spending substantial anount of money replacing fantastic equipment that is working really well for you for the sake of vanity and having a pretty looking bag? Madness.

Thanks Boardsmember. That's a reality check I've been looking for smile.gif. As I mentioned in the original post, this would purely be an indulgence.
    By "Complete the set" I meant to have a full set of Titleist clubs.

However, I will need to change at some point as the club is probably 4 years old at this point.

There's another question. At what point should you consider upgrading your driver, if the club is in good nick still and you are playing well with it? Surely an upgrade should be done at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

However, I will need to change at some point as the club is probably 4 years old at this point.

Why ? If its still working and isn't damaged or you haven't collapsed the face, why change ?
    Of course, we all like shiny new things, but the ball doesn't know what its been hit with :D and if you're consistently in the fairway I wouldn't be changing.

I'd suggest getting a lend of and hitting a few more modern drivers against your own and seeing the results. I have a 7 or 8 year old Ping G2 lying around somewhere that I occassionally hit and there's no massively significant difference between it and my 910D2

Does an extra 2.4yds mean that much ? ;)

Then again, if you just want to indulge.........fire away !

• Advertisement
Advertisement