Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Murphy calls it a day.....

• 14-12-2011 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

"It was fun and now its done. Thanks for all the support over the years but i have decided to retire gracefully from the tournament golf.16 years of ups and downs came to a grinding halt so with a heavy heart and some might say head too the show has come to an end. Murph"

His own quote from his FB page.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Interview with Ger Gilroy on Sun 4th Dec on Newstalk...

Newstalk Sport Saturday/Sunday Highlights

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/newstalk-sport-saturdaysunday/podcasts/

Best of Luck in your next Chapter Gary!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

He gave a good interview to Ger Gilroy...
    Came close to winning a few times - he played unbelievably well @ Celtic Manor on the Sunday but couldn't get the ball in the hole. He had so many chances from in close it was ridiculous. Can't remember what he shot (67?) but a couple of those were kick-ins... Great week in Adare too and there was some buzz when he was charging through the first 6 holes on the Sunday.

Wish him well in what ever he turns his hand to next.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jesus,

I know being a golf pro. looks great, but it is a tough life in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Yeah sounds rough! i was once full time in the music industry and it sounds very similar, looks and sounds great but unless your very succesful its a very tough life

• Advertisement

I guess you could say all jobs are tough in this era and only a few are highly rewarded, a good few of my friends are good engineers, but could loose their job at any time and the wages are not great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

At least now there's a space on tour for 'what'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭waterville72

Was Gary Murphy disqualified from an irish Open in Druids Glen for signing for an incorrect score in the second round?
    I thought I remember reading it at the time. It was his playing partner from that second round who( after missing the cut himself) noticed him playing in the third round and realised that he shouldnt be there as he had missed the cut...checked his score...and then saw it was incorrect.
    Totally genuine mistake Im sure but just wondering does anyone recall that and if Im correct about the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 invisable man

good interview with ger gilroy, I know someone who's an offical with the eurpoean tour and they told me the sense of fustration they see in golfers towards the end of the field is sad, there is so much at stake and the difference between success and failure and trying to keep a card and a career is often so little. best of luck to Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Best of luck with the new direction in life Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Best of luck to Gary. Met him down in the Pro Am in Adare a couple of years back and he was a complete gent. Signed a glove for my kid and also gave him a ball from his bag. Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

i heard a rumour he could be working for setanta

Was Gary Murphy disqualified from an irish Open in Druids Glen for signing for an incorrect score in the second round?
    I thought I remember reading it at the time. It was his playing partner from that second round who( after missing the cut himself) noticed him playing in the third round and realised that he shouldnt be there as he had missed the cut...checked his score...and then saw it was incorrect.
    Totally genuine mistake Im sure but just wondering does anyone recall that and if Im correct about the player.

I thought it was along the lines of his scores were correct but he had them in the wrong order: 3, 4 instead of 4, 3. They added up to the correct amount but he signed for the wrong score so therefore was disqualified.

I could be wrong so don't go shooting the messenger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Smart move from Gary.

Great move to call the end himself at the right time for him.

Heard him telling jokes one time and he could make a good living at that, better than many 'stars'.

Fantastic storyteller.

Best of luck to him.

Never know but he might find that elusive Putter and come back better than ever and CASH in on the Seniors tour.

Copy of a recent post from Gary on FB:

"Hi folks, Saturday night Feb4.
    I know it's hard to believe hardly do myself but I'm back working weekends. The cut line is my new golf show on setanta I'm going to ease into my new career and start with triple major champion Padraig Harrington. The show looks great and Padraig gives a great insight into the man and the golf champion. I've known him for 25 years but yet he surprised me with some of his comments. Well worth a watch Saturday night give us a bit of support and tune in. Tell all your friends I'm hoping I can get a late call up for the oscars.
    Hope 2012 is making all your dreams come through. I know mine has been amazing so far cos I won the euro millions last week and my Maths teacher said I was **** with figures".

This is still available on the web for those who are with Eircom.
    There was a Freeview of this again last night on Ch 423 (I'm told)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Saw the program last night and it was very good. PH was quite open and gave his viewpoints easily. Really liked Gary's style and he could be quite good at this as he tends to put his guests (PH anyway) at ease. Think Shane Lowry is on next week. Tiger after that? icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Career record over €2m in prize money. Best of luck, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

What's Gary doing in Sicily?

Whyner wrote: »

Mad one.

Called it a short day.

Level after 7.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Whyner wrote: »
    Strange alright. He's there due to an invite...

• Advertisement

Gary is one of 12 players on an invite (Category 4)....

Great interview with Paul McGinley on his show, watched it last night.

Must be tough to go back and play at that level after a break.

He is going ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Anywhere to watch previous episodes of this online if not with eircom? Saw the mcginley one, would like to see more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Gary Murphy (-1) for the tournament, wouldn't it be great if he had a decent finish this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What a cool fella, really enjoyed the McGinley interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

What a cool fella, really enjoyed the McGinley interview.

+1 Saw the PH one as well...great interviewing style...it's all about who he is interviewing and the absence of notes is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

when he lost his card he probably lost his love of the game.

took a break and got the hunger back for the game.

I believe every player should take a few weeks break from the game every so often to build back the hunger in the game

Advertisement