Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Preparation For The Red Seal For Electricians.

• 27-02-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all;
    I'm flying to Alberta, Calgary specifically, in a few weeks and I was wondering what documents do I bring over with me in order to prepare for the red seal exam.
    I am aware that I have to prove I have worked 9000 hours, but how exactly do I prove this? Do I provide hand written and signed references from my former employer stating that I have worked 9000 hours to the apprenticeship board, or, does the apprenticeship board in Alberta provide a form that I can download and subsequently, fill out myself and get my former employer to sign while I am still in Ireland??
    I'm totally clueless to this and I really appreciate all responses!

Also;
    the National Craft Cert from Ireland; do I bring the original or a photocopy??does this photocopy have to be signed by a Guard?

Thanks again folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Hi there,

My boyfriend is currently going through this process but he's done all the initial stuff that you are asking about. Go to this website:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=working_in_alberta/foreign_trained_workers.html

There is an application form that you need to fill out - and a guide that explains everything. For the hours you just need to write the amount in on the application form and give the references numbers so that the Apprenticeship Board can call and verify them (I'm not sure if they even bothered doing this with my boyfriend as he spoke with someone in person when bringing in his application)

All of your craft certs/syllabus have to be certified true copies. So you can either do that at home or do it here.. we brought my boyfriends to a lawyer and she signed and stamped all the certs he had. A guard would probably work as well. (We had to pay for the lawyer)

Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

ondadole wrote: »
    Hi all;
    I'm flying to Alberta, Calgary specifically, in a few weeks and I was wondering what documents do I bring over with me in order to prepare for the red seal exam.
    I am aware that I have to prove I have worked 9000 hours, but how exactly do I prove this? Do I provide hand written and signed references from my former employer stating that I have worked 9000 hours to the apprenticeship board, or, does the apprenticeship board in Alberta provide a form that I can download and subsequently, fill out myself and get my former employer to sign while I am still in Ireland??
    I'm totally clueless to this and I really appreciate all responses!

Also;
    the National Craft Cert from Ireland; do I bring the original or a photocopy??does this photocopy have to be signed by a Guard?

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

lindzation wrote: »
    Hi there,

My boyfriend is currently going through this process but he's done all the initial stuff that you are asking about. Go to this website:

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=working_in_alberta/foreign_trained_workers.html

There is an application form that you need to fill out - and a guide that explains everything. For the hours you just need to write the amount in on the application form and give the references numbers so that the Apprenticeship Board can call and verify them (I'm not sure if they even bothered doing this with my boyfriend as he spoke with someone in person when bringing in his application)

All of your craft certs/syllabus have to be certified true copies. So you can either do that at home or do it here.. we brought my boyfriends to a lawyer and she signed and stamped all the certs he had. A guard would probably work as well. (We had to pay for the lawyer)

Let me know if you have anymore questions :)
    Thanks a lot. Pretty much explains everything here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elektrika

Hi,

I have already received my evaluation certificate from Tradesecrets for quite a while, the certification is valid until July and I am actually preparing for the red seal exams.

Is any one currently preparing a Red Seal exams? I would like to happy to the experiences and knowledge, it is quite boring to prepare it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davy wavy

hi
    i am moving to either alberta or vancover in the next month or two, and i was just wondering how i can get the cert or paperwork to show how many years i worked as an electrican in ireland? i would like to get it filled out before i leave to save time when i get there
    thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elektrika

You should contact your current or previous employers and ask them to give you a statement with letter head,contact details etc.The statement should mentioned for how long you are their employees, job details( a good description of your job), mentioned any promotion, progress, any special tools you have worked with etc.Your employers could be contacted to confirms these details.

Have you got your electrician license for Canada yet or are you preparing your Red Seal now?

I am actually looking for some help with the Red Seal Preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 davy wavy

so i dont need to apply for any special form that i have to get my employer to fill in? i just have to get him to write me a letter?
    i will not be preparing for the red seal till i am in canada i will be leaving in a month its thats any help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

I just received the canadian electrical code and the cd-rom with the practice exam from the ita it cost 311 dollars for the two including postage and took around 5 days to arrive . I can tell already its money well spent as its ten years since i sat an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭johnnyryan22

Anyone know how long AIT approval takes for electricians with the alberta apprenticeships board?

Advertisement