Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendation for 5.1 system

• 06-03-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Hello im looking for a 5.1 system and i have a couple of requirements but i am not sure of any system that will fill them all.
    Anyway im looking for one that has
    1)optical input (for xbox 360)
    2)HDMI
    3)plays div-x
    4)i would like rear satilites but im not fussed
    5)a usb connection so i could play movies from an external hard-drive.

I know thats quite a precise list and im looking for any recomendations. I dont want to break the bank either.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd say you're really gonna have to go for a receiver/speaker package and a separate disc player to accomadate your needs.

My needs are somewhat similar and I've almost settled on the sony Ht-DDW880 which is a 6.1 HDMI amp and speakers and a chepaish divx/dvd player with HDMI and maybe USB.
    Gonna come in at around 450 quid.

I don't know if that's breaking the bank or not, but if you want to tick all your boxes it's gonna be around that figure even if you could find an all-in-1 solution

The samsung HT XQ100 might suit your needs in one box, but it's around the price of my solution above...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Thanks for the reply Wertz. Its a bit more than i was thinking of spending. I was sort of planning on spending around €250. Ill have a look at the system you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Wertz wrote:
    My needs are somewhat similar and I've almost settled on the sony Ht-DDW880 which is a 6.1 HDMI amp and speakers and a chepaish divx/dvd player with HDMI and maybe USB.
    Gonna come in at around 450 quid.

Where were you going to buy the Sony HT-DDW880?

I know pixmania used to stock it but it's not on their site anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Great. I've had it in my basket the last two weeks waiting on some money to come in.
    Bastards. :mad:
    Definitely the one I want if only for the upscaling to component and the hdmi splitter. Try and source one in the UK maybe (and enjoy the fun of trying to get a shop that can actually deliver outside mainland UK)

I don't understand pixmania...they push and push at promoting systems and then just pull it off their catalogue with no warning.
    Yamaha v359 is the only passable alternative I can find within budget and it has no HDMI splitter and the speakers look a bit naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Well lads im back. I have been looking around and i cant find an all in one that will do the job for around €250 so i am now looking for a cheap hdmi dvd player that fills my needs and a seperate speaker system.
    I was thinking of something like this for the DVD player. the only problem i can see from it is that it doesnt have a usb port.
    I was thinking of these for the speakers but unfortunately they only have the one input.
    I will also be getting one of these external hard drives so i would like to get a dvd player that can play movies (divX) through its usb port.
    Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
Advertisement