Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree grades

• 24-06-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

What is the difference between a first class honours,2.1,2.2 etc when getting your degree and is it really that important to employers when going for a job??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No offence if you've got a 2.2, as some stuff I say here may be taken the wrong way. Employers would look at the grade you get depending on the job, obviously if you're a doctor they'll want you to have a 1st, or a 2.1. 2.2 is probably below the kind of level they'd be looking for.

Saying that, if you did an arts degree (no offence to anyone who does arts, I did one) they are probably less likely to look at the classification of the degree.

On a personal opinion, I always think anyone who got less the a 2.1 scraped by. It's not that hard to get a 2.1, and I always think anyone who got a 2.2 didn't make an effort, because they enjoyed getting drunk too much, or didn't really enjoy the degree they did (and the job they want to do for the rest of there lives) So yes, the classification of degree you get does matter.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Saying that, if you did an arts degree (no offence to anyone who does arts, I did one) they are probably less likely to look at the classification of the degree.

I'd have thought it'd be the other way around - that if you have a sciencey degree they're not overly fussed because it's harder to pass those courses, but that you'd need to do more than just pass an arts degree to seem vaguely impressive.
    is it really that important to employers when going for a job??

Depends on how closely tied to your degree area the job is. Some employers just want people who have a degree, others want people who have a degree in a particular area, others want people who have a "good honours degree" (2:1 or a 1st).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

This a little long but it's a really good guide to the standard of each grade. Keep in mind it is in relation to English at UCD but it's a pretty good general guide anyway. IMHO getting a 2.1 or 1st makes life a bit easier. You can go straight into post grads and a 2.1 will help you stand out a bit from the raft of graduates with 2.2s or pass degrees.

First Class Honours between 80-89%:
    Exceptional performance, engaging deeply and systematically with the question set, with consistently impressive demonstration of
    ÿ A comprehensive mastery of the subject matter, amply supported by quotations and/or references
    ÿ reflecting deep and broad knowledge and critical insight as well as extensive reading
    ÿ an exceptional ability to organise, analyse, develop and present arguments fluently and lucidly with a high level of critical analysis
    ÿ a highly-developed capacity for original, creative and logical thinking
    ÿ minimal presentation errors (spelling, punctuation etc)

First Class Honours between 70-79%
    Highly superior performance, engaging closely and systematically with the question set, with consistently strong evidence of
    ÿ a comprehensive mastery of the subject matter, ably supported by quotations and/or references
    ÿ excellent ability to organise, analyse, develop and express arguments fluently and lucidly with a high level of critical analysis
    ÿ a highly-developed capacity for original, creative and logical thinking
    ÿ minimal presentation errors (spelling, punctuation etc)

Second Class Honours Grade 1: 60-69%
    Excellent performance, engaging substantially with the question set, demonstrating
    ÿ strong grasp of the subject matter, well supported by quotations and/or references
    ÿ well-developed capacity to analyse issues, organise material, present arguments clearly and cogently
    ÿ some original insights and capacity for creative and logical thinking (the original moments might not have been developed enough, in comparison to First Class Honours)
    ÿ a few presentation errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.)

Second Class Honours Grade 2: 50-59%
    Good performance–intellectually competent answer (i.e. factually sound) with evidence of a reasonable familiarity with the relevant literature and techniques
    ÿ acceptable grasp of the subject material
    ÿ ideas clear but stated rather than well developed and insufficiently supported by quotations and/or references
    ÿ writing of sufficient quality to convey meaning but some lack of fluency and command of suitable vocabulary
    ÿ omission of parts of the subject in question or the appearance of several minor errors
    ÿ average critical awareness and analytical qualities
    ÿ limited evidence of capacity for original and logical thinking
    ÿ noticeable number of presentation errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.)
    ÿ
    Third Class Honours: 45-49%
    Satisfactory performance–intellectually adequate answer with evidence of some familiarity with the relevant literature and techniques:
    ÿ basic grasp of subject matter, but somewhat lacking in focus and structure
    ÿ main points covered in answer, but lacking detail
    ÿ some effort to engage, but only a basic understanding of the topic portrayed
    ÿ some development of argument; disorganisation may be a problem
    ÿ only some critical awareness displayed
    ÿ few quotations and/or references included in answer
    ÿ appearance of several minor errors or one major error
    ÿ style may be unclear
    ÿ noticeable number of presentation errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.)

Pass: 40-44%
    Mediocre / Barely acceptable performance only, showing limited understanding/knowledge of topic and superficial awareness of relevant literature and techniques:
    ÿ limited focus on question asked
    ÿ basic framework/structure of answer poorly developed
    ÿ evidence of unclear presentation of argument, random layout, with some omissions or inaccuracies in answer
    ÿ appearance of unsubstantiated statements, lacking in quotations and/or references
    ÿ descriptive rather than argumentative or analytical answer presented
    ÿ a lack of detailed explanation or critical reflection
    ÿ an incomplete or rushed answer i.e. the use of bullet points through a significant part of/all of answer
    ÿ derivative, and limited evidence of capacity for logical thinking generally
    ÿ considerable number of presentation errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Lump wrote:
    Employers would look at the grade you get depending on the job, obviously if you're a doctor they'll want you to have a 1st, or a 2.1. 2.2 is probably below the kind of level they'd be looking for.
    Actually there's no 1st, 2.1s or 2.2s in medicine, you just pass or fail.

Edit: oh yes, just to point out the medicine pass requirement is 70%, so it works out the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elless

I just came across this thread.I know its been two years or so since it was posted but for anyone, like me, who has just come across it don't be frightened by some of the statements being made.To be honest an honours degree is an honours degree 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 no matter what way you look at it.Anyone who can stick at a degree course for that length of time deserves a pat on the back..Peoples personal lives can affect your grades too.Everyone has a brain and once you have an interest in the course thats what matters.An honours degree is just a ticket to getting a job some employers dont care what grade you get a long as you have the ticket.Your experience will follow you just have to keep looking for the right job.Im an engineer and have worked in industry for 14 years.I got a 2.2 due to things happening in my personal life of which I nearly didnt finish it.I am a 1.1 person and have always been but not his time round. To be honest I think college is the biggest load of bull**** I ever faced. You are doing subjects that dont suit you all you are is a pawn to some idiot designing the course but to get that ticket you have to do it.The only thing you learn is to stuff your head with crap that you may never use again.Thats not learning.You need to learn practical things that you can take with you not stress about exams.Wheres the fun in that????I know engineers who got 1.1 in their degree and they are absolute clowns they havent a clue.Horses for courses. Experience is the key and to get it you need a ticket and that ticket is an honours degree.Dont be fooled and have your head up your arse thinking you know it all once you get it.Ive met those blow in's and they didnt last long in any company. Being book smart and being practical goes hand in hand.Just because you passed the politics in college that lecturers give you (and there are some assholes lecturing who have never worked in industry but think they know it all) industry is a different ball game.College practice is based on the ideal world.Once you leave college forget everthing you learned and start again because 90% of what you learned you will never use again.So well done to anyone who crosses that line after 3-4 years because some have dropped out after 2 years maybe 1!!!If you have your honours degree hold you rhead up high you are at higher level than you were before you got it.Who knows what parties that ticket will get you into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Owch.Bitter.
    I'm an engineer too....
    In this industry, yes experience matters hugely.The grade of degree doesn't matter a huge amount but where it could count is in an interview..it might be the deciding factor between you and someone who has the exact same experience etc, but a lower grade.Or else if you have a degree like say business (I'm not trying to insult business grads here at all), which has had thousands of grads in the last few years of various different types, a higher grade might make you stand out bit more, again in the job hiring process.In the job itself, won't matter a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

elless wrote: »
    .Anyone who can stick at a degree course for that length of time deserves a pat on the back.

I agree with that bit.

Everything else is just anger because you only got a 2.2.

I agree with a previous poster who said anything less than a 2.1 means you didn't take college seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

In my job the difference between a first and a 2.2 is a couple hundred euro a year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

First in reference to those people who think that arts degrees are handed out like freebies in the SU tent at freshers weeks - to get a first in any degree be it science, engineering or arts takes lots of fecking study, time and effort!! :mad:

Now that I have that little rant off my chest - the amount that your final degree grade matters depends on what you want to do. Stuff like engineering, QS etc - experience seems to be very very very important but like the last poster said your degree grade may have an impact on your starting salary.

For anyone with a BA there are very few post grad courses that don't require you to have at least a 2:1 if not a 1:1 so clearly your final grade matters there. Similar story with science (from what i hear from my science geek friends).

So yeah of course your grade matters otherwise every course would be simple pass/fail but how much it matters totally depends on what you want to do after it and if for some reason you haven't done fantastic and have a pass grade or a 2:2 its not the end of the world, you still have a degree but you might very well be at a disadvantage when up against people with similar skills and a higher grade be it in job interviews (although there does remain the opportunity to wow and awe the employer with charm) or post-grad applications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

First in reference to those people who think that arts degrees are handed out like freebies in the SU tent at freshers weeks - to get a first in any degree be it science, engineering or arts takes lots of fecking study, time and effort!!

Yes, but science and engineering need more work, more time and more effort :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

First Class Honours between 80-89%:

Anything above 89??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Anything above 70% is First Class Honours.
    At least in DCU anyway.

Advertisement