Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invisalign Clear Braces

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2008coco

Hi there, Has anyone had problems with the Invisalign cutting their gums? I started my Invisalign treatment yesterday and my mouth is in agony. The top of the brace is cutting my gums and the attachments are cutting my gums when I take out the brace to eat. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

2008coco ... There may be a 'rough' edge on the brace, you'll probably need to go back to orthodontist so they can check it. It will feel very tight for the first couple of days but as you remove and replace it, it will loosen. You'll notice this each time you move on to the next set. Stick with it, it just feels strange for the first day or two.

I was recently back to see orthodontist for final appointment, over a year since I finished with invisalign = thrilled with the results. I was told I only need to wear retainers a couple of nights per week now.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DOD555

Hi Guys, new to boards. Found this thread very useful as I'm strongly considering taking the plunge and getting the Invisalign.

Just started to look around but seems difficult to get prices on the net. Can any of you recommend a decent dentist at a reasonable price preferably in the Dublin area? Think you may need to pm me names. Any additional recommendations or advice is also appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

talk with your dentist and ask them to recommend an orthodontist. Most orthodontists have websites with prices or just call up a few practices.

Invisalign is expensive to get made and the lab bill alone can be thousands so it is not the easiest or cheapest way to straight teeth.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 starlight0708

Hi there - I am very interested in invisalign and have found this thread very useful. I am strongly thinking of going for this treatment (well a consultation anyway). Could anyone please pm me with the dentists they attended. I really don't know where to start ! I am based in Dublin if that helps. Thanks a million :) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Can users PM me the details of dentists that they have used (and are happy with) for the invisalign, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hello there,

Just on the odd chance somebody reads this who has had experience with Invisalign could you PM me with details of who treated you. Thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

turniphead wrote: »
    Hello there,

Just on the odd chance somebody reads this who has had experience with Invisalign could you PM me with details of who treated you. Thanks!:D

You'll get better recommendations if you post your location.

I'm in North Wicklow but I'd have no bother travelling to wherever is deemed best.

hi..
    1200 I think it's really cheap..But this process doesn't suit me...:(

Where were you quoted 1200?

• Advertisement

I've been quoted €3,850 for invisalign full. With 5% off if paid in full up front and also advised I can claim 20% back in tax.

Would this be considered reasonable value?

I also have the option of metal braces (behind the teeth) for approx €3000. Would this be a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Any more updates on this process. I have been thinking about getting my teeth straightened for years but could never afford it. However i find the older i get the more self conscious i am about my teeth and even though it is expensive i would be willing to pay if success was assured. Have also heard of a practice in Munster that does whats called 6 month braces, is this also invisilyn or a different procedure

k mac wrote: »
    Any more updates on this process. I have been thinking about getting my teeth straightened for years but could never afford it. However i find the older i get the more self conscious i am about my teeth and even though it is expensive i would be willing to pay if success was assured. Have also heard of a practice in Munster that does whats called 6 month braces, is this also invisilyn or a different procedure

Hi there. I decided to go with invisalign and I'm one week into it. So far so good. I told nobody I was getting them and genuinely nobody has noticed. This is certainly the biggest plus for invisalign. Another plus is that I can take them off before eating so no foods are off limits.

I was shown a 3D image of how my teeth will progress over a 40 week period. My changes are subtle but it's exactly what I want. My teeth should be straighter and more aligned.

The only cons so far would be having to brush after eating every single time. I know people will say this'll reduce snacking etc. but I train for sport a lot so therefore I eat a lot. Another con is the pain I felt last night at the back of my mouth. Obviously it's just a sign that my teeth are moving and I took a painkiller tab and I was grand.

Overall the pros far outweigh the cons. If you've any questions I can help with feel free to ask. I've 1 week done only 39 to go! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 verz

Hi there. I decided to go with invisalign and I'm one week into it. So far so good. I told nobody I was getting them and genuinely nobody has noticed. This is certainly the biggest plus for invisalign. Another plus is that I can take them off before eating so no foods are off limits.

I was shown a 3D image of how my teeth will progress over a 40 week period. My changes are subtle but it's exactly what I want. My teeth should be straighter and more aligned.

The only cons so far would be having to brush after eating every single time. I know people will say this'll reduce snacking etc. but I train for sport a lot so therefore I eat a lot. Another con is the pain I felt last night at the back of my mouth. Obviously it's just a sign that my teeth are moving and I took a painkiller tab and I was grand.

Overall the pros far outweigh the cons. If you've any questions I can help with feel free to ask. I've 1 week done only 39 to go! :-)

Hi turniphead, I'm considering getting Invisalign and was wondering where you ended up getting them? I think you have to pm me this info

Also, like you, I train and have 6 meals a day, no snacking. Is it annoying having to carry around a toothbrush to brush everytime? I'm sure you'll get used to it quite quickly though. Any other info would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey Verz,

I pm'd you where I got my Invisalign. They are an official Invisalign provider which was very important for me.

To be honest having to carry around a toothbrush all the time isn't too bad. I know it's only for approx 10 months and that it'll be worth it.

Snacking is definitely reduced but in contrast to that I eat extra for my main meals. For example, once the braces are out I find myself eating that bit more than I usually would because I know once I'm finished I'll be brushing my teeth and putting the braces back and that means no more eating for a while!

Overall I'm 4 weeks into it and I've no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Yaretzi Rapping Ignition

Hey Verz,

I pm'd you where I got my Invisalign. They are an official Invisalign provider which was very important for me.
    I would not put too much emphasis on that. Its not a qualification and according to invasalign to become an official provider you need to :

1. Register for our new provider course

2. Attend the new provider course (One day course)

3. Start treating patients

So I could do a one day course, spend money on marketing and then treat patients despite the fact I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. An orthodontist on the otherhand will have a minimium of a 3 year full time masters or doctorate.

I would not put too much emphasis on that. Its not a qualification and according to invasalign to become an official provider you need to :

1. Register for our new provider course

2. Attend the new provider course (One day course)

3. Start treating patients

So I could do a one day course, spend money on marketing and then treat patients despite the fact I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. An orthodontist on the otherhand will have a minimium of a 3 year full time masters or doctorate.

It was important for me. I just wanted to make sure the product was a genuine invisalign clear brace and not an imitation product.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

My treatment finally came to an end in April, but I was wearing my last set of Invisalign until last month when I had my bonded retainer fitted along with an Essix retainer (determined to not let them move).

My overall conclusion is positive though there are certainly downsides! If I was to go the traditional metal route, I would have had to undergone jaw surgery (breaking my jaw) to align everything up, so naturally I wanted to avoid that... But when I started Invisalign, I was promised the sun, moon and stars.

Yes my teeth are straight (ish) and if my teeth were naturally like this I would have considered myself lucky but I paid thousands for this treatment and honestly I was a little disappointed.

The total price ended up being €3,800. Broken down as 3,200 for the treatment, 300 for the retainers and the leftovers well... The final 300 was for a redo, pretty much had to start over as my teeth were refusing to move the way they wanted to... And yes that came out of my pocket! So beware.

Ok so pros are my teeth are straight.

Cons I expected more than Invisalign could have ever offered my, my case was severe. My bite is off. My teeth slant slightly and one tooth isn't aligned with the rest due to lack if bone (which I was never told about) the treatment took way longer than ever expected and has cost me a small fortune.

Please don't think I'm not happy though... I am, I have a smile I'm not embarrassed by, which is amazing and a long way from where I was 3 years ago!

Anyways judge for yourself, I've attached a before and after picture

It was important for me. I just wanted to make sure the product was a genuine invisalign clear brace and not an imitation product.

Thats about as important as the brand of saw a carpenter uses to make a piece of furniture. These things are only tools to get a job done, and its the skills of the operator and their treatment planning experience that decides the final outcome. The post above is a good example of this.
    cb123 wrote: »
    If I was to go the traditional metal route, I would have had to undergone jaw surgery (breaking my jaw) to align everything up, so naturally I wanted to avoid that... But when I started Invisalign, I was promised the sun, moon and stars.

Thats not the case, regular braces move teeth the same way as aligners, infact they allow more control, especially over the bite, they are also generally faster. It is not the case there regular braces require surgery while invasalign do not.

Your list of the pros and cons are spot on.

• Advertisement

Thats not the case, regular braces move teeth the same way as aligners, infact they allow more control, espically over the bite, they are also generally faster. It is not the case there regular braces require surgery while invasalign do not.

Your list of the pros and cons are spot on.

Unfortunately for me it was, I was told by three separate orthodontists (clonmel, Waterford and cork) that the only way to correct my bite and get a perfect result I would need jaw surgery :(

Unfortunately for me it was, I was told by three separate orthodontists (clonmel, Waterford and cork) that the only way to correct my bite and get a perfect result I would need jaw surgery :(

Yes but to get a half decent compromised result with regular braces, like you got with invasalign, would have been cheaper and taken less time, and would have been a little less compromised than it is because the regular braces allow more correction and control of the bite. Do you get what I am saying? There is nothing special about how invasalign moves teeth, regular braces can move them the same way, only faster, cheaper and better in a lot of cases.

Yes but to get a half decent compromised result with regular braces, like you got with invasalign, would have been cheaper and taken less time, and would have been a little less compromised than it is because the regular braces allow more correction and control of the bite. Do you get what I am saying? There is nothing special about how invasalign moves teeth, regular braces can move them the same way, only faster, cheaper and better in a lot of cases.

Ah I get ya! Yes you're right, and sure invisalign is a cosmetic route for those like myself who didn't really want a mouth full of metal. Funnily enough though the 3 orthodontists I went to wouldn't do the traditional route without going the full hog, so for me it was metal braces equaled surgery :(

Hey Fitzgeme,

Obviously "the skills of the operator and their treatment planning experience" are vitally important. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. In fact that's a complete no brainer. Also nobody has mentioned that invisalign moves teeth any different to regular braces. We know that regular braces can have more control, can be faster and often better but the significant difference is having the metal on display. That's the crucial difference. Some people are willing to compromise so that they can have a clear brace.

My treatment finally came to an end in April, but I was wearing my last set of Invisalign until last month when I had my bonded retainer fitted along with an Essix retainer (determined to not let them move).

My overall conclusion is positive though there are certainly downsides! If I was to go the traditional metal route, I would have had to undergone jaw surgery (breaking my jaw) to align everything up, so naturally I wanted to avoid that... But when I started Invisalign, I was promised the sun, moon and stars.

Yes my teeth are straight (ish) and if my teeth were naturally like this I would have considered myself lucky but I paid thousands for this treatment and honestly I was a little disappointed.

The total price ended up being €3,800. Broken down as 3,200 for the treatment, 300 for the retainers and the leftovers well... The final 300 was for a redo, pretty much had to start over as my teeth were refusing to move the way they wanted to... And yes that came out of my pocket! So beware.

Ok so pros are my teeth are straight.

Cons I expected more than Invisalign could have ever offered my, my case was severe. My bite is off. My teeth slant slightly and one tooth isn't aligned with the rest due to lack if bone (which I was never told about) the treatment took way longer than ever expected and has cost me a small fortune.

Please don't think I'm not happy though... I am, I have a smile I'm not embarrassed by, which is amazing and a long way from where I was 3 years ago!

Anyways judge for yourself, I've attached a before and after picture

Hey cb123,
    That's a great balanced post there. Personally I think your teeth look great now. I know people have different views but it's blatantly obvious that your teeth look much better now. You mention how your "teeth slant slightly and one tooth isn't aligned". I can honestly say I do not notice and slant and I could not tell you which tooth is not aligned.

At the end of it all it only matters to you and it's a pity after spending so much that you're not fully happy with the process/result. From my own point of view I have never expected to have the big Hollywood smile when my treatment comes to end. I simply wanted a few tweaks and a bit more alignment and hopefully this invisalign process will do that.

Hey Fitzgeme,

Obviously "the skills of the operator and their treatment planning experience" are vitally important. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. In fact that's a complete no brainer. Also nobody has mentioned that invisalign moves teeth any different to regular braces. We know that regular braces can have more control, can be faster and often better but the significant difference is having the metal on display. That's the crucial difference. Some people are willing to compromise so that they can have a clear brace.

Lingual orthodontics has none of the disadvantages and are actually totally invisible, aligners are not invisible and make you look like your teeth are covered in a thick layer of spit all the time.. Slopes in the smile cannot be appreciated without seeing the entire face. Make sure your orthodontist provides all forms of braces, if not when your only tool is a hammer all your problems look like nails. Your experienced operator, will have extensive experience and training in all forms of orthodontic treatments.

Lingual orthodontics has none of the disadvantages and are actually totally invisible, aligners are not invisible and make you look like your teeth are covered in a thick layer of spit all the time.. Slopes in the smile cannot be appreciated without seeing the entire face. Make sure your orthodontist provides all forms of braces, if not when your only tool is a hammer all your problems look like nails. Your experienced operator, will have extensive experience and training in all forms of orthodontic treatments.

Thanks Yaretzi Rapping Ignition for the helpful advice

Thanks fitzgeme for the helpful advice

No Probs, dont get me wrong, Aligner treatment can work well for a lot of patients when it is applied correctly to the correct patients, I have just seen enough cases like cb123's where the final results are less than was hope for and where the patient has paid a huge amount of money and time.

Ask are is your priority the final result for life or the appearance for a short during treatment.

Hey cb123,
    That's a great balanced post there. Personally I think your teeth look great now. I know people have different views but it's blatantly obvious that your teeth look much better now. You mention how your "teeth slant slightly and one tooth isn't aligned". I can honestly say I do not notice and slant and I could not tell you which tooth is not aligned.

At the end of it all it only matters to you and it's a pity after spending so much that you're not fully happy with the process/result. From my own point of view I have never expected to have the big Hollywood smile when my treatment comes to end. I simply wanted a few tweaks and a bit more alignment and hopefully this invisalign process will do that.

Oh please don't get me wrong, I am delighted with my smile now...but as I said before I'm disappointed that I was offered and advertised the "Hollywood smile" and my dentist didn't tell me the limitations associated with my case.

My case was severe but I should have been warned, but sure look it's done and I am happy, except for the mountain of debt!

Anyways I've attached a picture which shows a bit more of the issues I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Are you aware of that You will be wearing retainer invisalign for the rest of your life ? You will pay it for extra every year. It is not include in their ad.

They are not guarantee their product. They give you option to Not to wear them but if you dont wear (reatiner) after treatment over,your teeth removes back.

I`ve started April 2013 with price of € 4000 , I finished all my set of alligners and retainers.

I went through very bad times. Because its moving your original teeth, you always have pain in your teeth,most of time it bleeds while brushing your teeth.

The only positive I am is the result after 16 months treatment but very negative with Dentist, visits and general process of it.

Advertisement