Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Mat Day?!?

• 15-05-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

Hey hope it's okay to post this here?...
    But Spartan are hosting an open mat for any gym to come and roll with each other without the pressure of competition. We are hoping this will help everyone improve and more importantly be a all out fun day! This is open for all levels!
    Gi and No-Gi welcome.
    €5 on the day charge

Think this is a good idea???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

Oh yeah sorry, it's on the 27th of may @12...
    here's the dates and Facebook event page:
    http://www.facebook.com/events/175303889261892/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you post here at least semi regularly and you have something that you think people will be genuinely interested in you can post away. It's the guys who register an account spam a seminar and then disappear without generating any kind of discussion that get removed.

Anyway, you probably say a bit about where this is happening for the people who might not be familiar with your group. Looks like I took too long typing this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

What does the 5 euro cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

This will fall flat if your trying to make money off it lads.
    You can pretty much do this every day in any club for close to a fiver....
    so makes no sense unless it's free...??

Il be there for sure if it is a free event.

(take it all back if there is an instructor confirmed, Id pay the fiver then!)

The fiver will cover the mat fee.
    Not trying to make money,
    Unfortunately our club was broken into last month and alot of our gear was stolen just trying to replace gear and keep ourselves open.

• Advertisement

Bres wrote: »
    The fiver will cover the mat fee.
    Not trying to make money,
    Unfortunately our club was broken into last month and alot of our gear was stolen just trying to replace gear and keep ourselves open.

Why is there a mat fee? I'll put it to you like this and I'm not trying to put anybody on a pedastool I'm just trying to state the simple facts.
    The BJJ instructor in Spartan is a white belt (I think), some of us who would attend are higher belts and we're all happy to share technique and roll with everyone, but you want us to pay to let the students in spartan roll with us? I know you want us to all roll together and you might think it's a great opportunity but if I want to roll with a bunch of different people who are high level competitors without the pressures of competition I can go to a club like SBG or BJJ Cork and pay a reasonable drop-in fee AND be instructed in the class.

I think it's a great idea if you have a free open mat day, it's particularly beneficial to people who don't have a chance to train under a high-level instructor everyday but to be asking for money is a bit much, there's no cost for Spartan to run it, only benefits to be reaped from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

slammer you make a fair point for your own situation. it may not be of too much benefit to you. you already pay a monthly fee to have the best instructor in the country teach you.
    however it does give you a chance to work on those new moves with different guys. people who you dont know their game, strengths and weaknessess.
    you might enjoy the day, get to meet some like minded people and help a club out who have recentely been robbed.
    beginners or players from small clubs who dont have access to high level instruction or many training partners could get a lot from the day.
    you never know when any club might be in need of new matts!
    I have no affiliation and wont be there but i dont think a fiver a much to ask for a few hours sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Honestly in shock by this. Spartan is a MMA/Grappling club, I think they do a lot of wrestling and no-gi right? Not a whole lot of BJJ?

I don't really think it warrants the rio streets attitude it's getting here.

It's fairly well accepted across multiple martial arts that if you turn up at open session in a gym you pay a small mat fee to cover the expenses. It's only a ****ing fiver like lads.

Why are you thread spoiling slammer and taking about people's grades? It's a ****ing rolling session, you've obviously no interest so stop moaning about it. If people think 5er is too much stay at home and watch tv instead.

I can't be in dublin that weekend but if i was i'd turn up, good honest bunch of lads up there would be bit of craic for an hour.

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Honestly in shock by this. Spartan is a MMA/Grappling club, I think they do a lot of wrestling and no-gi right? Not a whole lot of BJJ?

I don't really think it warrants the rio streets attitude it's getting here.

It's fairly well accepted across multiple martial arts that if you turn up at open session in a gym you pay a small mat fee to cover the expenses. It's only a ****ing fiver like lads.

Why are you thread spoiling slammer and taking about people's grades? It's a ****ing rolling session, you've obviously no interest so stop moaning about it. If people think 5er is too much stay at home and watch tv instead.

I can't be in dublin that weekend but if i was i'd turn up, good honest bunch of lads up there would be bit of craic for an hour.

I'm just saying it's a bit wrong to take advantage by profiting off a community of people willing to train together for the love of the sport when those people can go train somewhere else and get instruction off a good instructor for a similar price...If you want to make some money run another tournament, a Gi tournament would be nice :)

slammer187 wrote: »
    I'm just saying it's a bit wrong to take advantage by profiting off a community of people willing to train together for the love of the sport when those people can go train somewhere else and get instruction off a good instructor for a similar price..
    Get over yourself. They have open mat, they're charging a mat fee. (Is there anywhere that lets you just turn up and use their facilities gratis?) You think you can get a better deal somewhere, and you are free to go do that. No one is being taken advantage of here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RJJIreland

Get over yourself. They have open mat, they're charging a mat fee. (Is there anywhere that lets you just turn up and use their facilities gratis?) You think you can get a better deal somewhere, and you are free to go do that. No one is being taken advantage of here.

Since you asked, our open mat is on Saturdays and is free of charge, 12 start :)

RJJIreland wrote: »
    Since you asked, our open mat is on Saturdays and is free of charge, 12 start :)

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Guys charge if you want to charge, have it for free if you dont. Who cares?

Dont say you arent trying to make money though because you are, just because its to replace some stuff (which is a downer sorry to hear about the break in) doesnt mean you arent making a profit on the day.

I havent got two red cents to rub together so youll have to count me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

I think Slammer makes some good points, obviously there is nothing wrong with charging for an open mat but what is the incentive to bring people out of their own clubs which they already pay membership...??

I know the open mat at SBG is filled with Matt monsters who are willing to share, as with RJJ, why not go there??

A good instructor to host the session would be a more attractive Idea IMO. Try get a black belt or brown belt.

These are positive criticisms, You will probably make more money by offering people something other than a chance to roll somewhere further than their local club..

I just want to clarify this

1. I don't mean to offend anybody, maybe I sound like some bender but I like Jiu Jitsu, I want to train with everybody and I want everybody to reach their potential...the better my training partners are the better I get, the better my opponents are the better I have to get! So I think that if you want to contribute to the community do so in a way that's because you want to improve the sport not to try and make some easy money, If we try and scam money out of each other the sport will never grow but if we help each other we're all going to improve

2. Spartan is a massive facility and could hold plenty of people and it would be a great day which I would have a great interest in attending

Also I don't want anyone to think that all the RJJ boyz are hopping into the thread to piss people off or trying to compete with Spartan, if you want to make money off of this do so but I think it's fairer to do it for the sport and not for profit, if you want to profit teach classes. It's only fair that people know how an open mat works.

It's too easy to make money off people who don't know better and I assume that the OP didn't understand that the point of an Open Mat is for people to train together not for profit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it, when I read open day I did think it was free-if I run an open day that's how I do it been honest, probably will do 1 soon enough for the craic.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

cowzerp wrote: »
    I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it.

100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

If you wanna make money, run a Gi comp in july. It seems like you just thought, "I know, we'll ask people to come roll with us and charge a fiver so we can get our gear back". However the bjj community is a very informed, cynical and broke group of people, so getting money from them needs a hell of a lot more thought than that.

You'd be very lucky if you got 10 or 15 people, making you only €50-€75. You'd be wayyyyy better off doing bag packing in Dunnes on a Saturday. It's harder work but if money was that easy to make, we'd all be millionaires!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Hattie Flabby Menswear

cowzerp wrote: »
    I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it

I think that was probably the OP's original intent, but he's not here long enough to know the craic here ~ type up your OP, proof read it. Proof read it again ten more times, consider the angles and the holes which will be picked in it then if you still have the balls ~ POST.

Some people need to get over themselves in this thread (not you Paul).

OP best of luck with things and if you want me to edit your original post just say so. And apologizes for not getting back to your PM sooner but I was offline for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I'll go anyway, its only €5 for a good cause, even if I barely have it myself. I just hope it will have a good enough turn out for some good rolls! And that there'll be some Gi players :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Hattie Flabby Menswear

I'll go anyway, its only €5 for a good cause, even if I barely have it myself. I just hope it will have a good enough turn out for some good rolls! And that there'll be some Gi players :D

+1 and you know what, I'd throw the lads over a few bucks too to help 'em out.

(checks dates again, might head over too)

Cheers lads for the positive responses, i guess i should have called it a fundraiser from the start my bad.
    Just to address Slammer187 our instructor is Anthony Dunne who holds a purple belt under Anthony Galeano.

The idea behind the day is for everyone to warm up together then just hit the mats and start rolling. It has worked with wrestling camps we have done so i hope it will work in the Bjj community. The reason we are not holding an instructed class is because we are not protesting for any of our coaches to be able to show anything you can't learn in your own club. But rather give you a chance to tryout what you have learned on people you may not be used to rolling with that you might usually have to wait till a competition. The fiver will also cover you to use our gym equipment if you just want to have a light roll then lift some heavy things...

Sorry again! We will have an open mat tomorrow 20th of may @2pm for anyone to come down free of charge.

Advertisement