Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Gally05 wrote: »
    great thread lads ,
    currently in the middle of a sale myself (FTB)
    i wish i had all this info 12months ago , maybe things would have moved quicker

I'm sure you saved a few thousand bny not buying then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

killers1 wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll be an expert by the end of it!! If you've any questions at any stage just ask. Best of luck!

I spoke to the girl in the bank today (think she is fresh out of mortgage school and I doubt she finished top of the class) She confirmed that it is a new application. She is just waiting some of the forms from the original app to be put up on their system and attached to the new application ( I only signed that so I presume she is filling in the details ) and then it will be sent to the underwriter for them to make a decision. This could take a while as they are swamped with applications. But not to fret because I got passed a few weeks ago so the outcome SHOULD be the same:eek:
    Has anyone come across this before?
    Will they do another credit check as I heard this can take a few days to get from ICB
    It is 2 weeks tomorrow that I gave the EA the deposit and the bank the signed form and new bank statement and I am panicking that A... I won’t get passed this time and B.. the seller will pull out due to lack of movement
    Sorry for the long post but I am tearing my hair out at this stage and the info on her is 100 times better than what i get of the bank
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

bambam26 wrote: »
    I spoke to the girl in the bank today (think she is fresh out of mortgage school and I doubt she finished top of the class) She confirmed that it is a new application. She is just waiting some of the forms from the original app to be put up on their system and attached to the new application ( I only signed that so I presume she is filling in the details ) and then it will be sent to the underwriter for them to make a decision. This could take a while as they are swamped with applications. But not to fret because I got passed a few weeks ago so the outcome SHOULD be the same:eek:
    Has anyone come across this before?
    Will they do another credit check as I heard this can take a few days to get from ICB
    It is 2 weeks tomorrow that I gave the EA the deposit and the bank the signed form and new bank statement and I am panicking that A... I won’t get passed this time and B.. the seller will pull out due to lack of movement
    Sorry for the long post but I am tearing my hair out at this stage and the info on her is 100 times better than what i get of the bank
    thanks

Stop stressing! They're calling it a 'new application' only because the property address has changed. Nearly all the info you submitted for the previous application will just be transferred to the 'new' reference no. and then it will be reviewed by the Underwriter. If there has been no changes in your circumstances since last application you'll be absolutely fine as there has been no change in UB's credit policy since then. Have you given the EA your solicitor details yet? Has the EA been on to you for an update? If not, that's fine. If he does contact you he'll probably just want to know when will the valuation be carried out. Just tell him you'll get on to the bank and check it out with them. Then call him back a day later and tell him the valuer will be in touch in the coming days. This will satisfy him and buy you some time. The ICB check takes about a half an hour to come through so that won't delay anything. It's literally just to queue to be looked at by the Underwriter that's holding you up but based on what you've said you'll be absolutely fine and approval will be a formality. 2 weeks isn't a long time in the house buying process so don't be worrying about the seller pulling out. Once they hear mention of a valuer being in touch there mind will be put at rest and they'll be more than happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Stop stressing! They're calling it a 'new application' only because the property address has changed. Nearly all the info you submitted for the previous application will just be transferred to the 'new' reference no. and then it will be reviewed by the Underwriter. If there has been no changes in your circumstances since last application you'll be absolutely fine as there has been no change in UB's credit policy since then. Have you given the EA your solicitor details yet? Has the EA been on to you for an update? If not, that's fine. If he does contact you he'll probably just want to know when will the valuation be carried out. Just tell him you'll get on to the bank and check it out with them. Then call him back a day later and tell him the valuer will be in touch in the coming days. This will satisfy him and buy you some time. The ICB check takes about a half an hour to come through so that won't delay anything. It's literally just to queue to be looked at by the Underwriter that's holding you up but based on what you've said you'll be absolutely fine and approval will be a formality. 2 weeks isn't a long time in the house buying process so don't be worrying about the seller pulling out. Once they hear mention of a valuer being in touch there mind will be put at rest and they'll be more than happy...

Thanks for that Killers1, as you can probably guess i am a bit of a worrier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Has anyone arranged a mortgage through Chrome capital before?

Myself and the other half are using them just wondering if they're any good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

We have recently went sale agreed and the valuation has just been done, i spoke to the valuer today and he said it was trying to get a ordnance survey map of the property and had contact the builders solicitor. Now i don't know too much about these maps, but i went on to osi.ie and the section of the estate where the house is located is under construction since 2010, i am now wondering if there is going to be a problem getting the map...

Iamhere wrote: »
    We have recently went sale agreed and the valuation has just been done, i spoke to the valuer today and he said it was trying to get a ordnance survey map of the property and had contact the builders solicitor. Now i don't know too much about these maps, but i went on to osi.ie and the section of the estate where the house is located is under construction since 2010, i am now wondering if there is going to be a problem getting the map...

Banks sometime look for the valuer to stamp & sign an ordnance survey map to show exactly where the property is located in relation to the main roads or nearest town. It's generally where the house has no number or is a one-off house. It doesn't matter if the property is still under construction (or not built) on the map in 2010 the valuer will just mark where the site is and confirm that's the property. The OS map will generally arrive in your solicitors with the contracts or you should get your solicitor to chase up the vendors solicitor to provide the map for the valuer. Won't be an issue for you...sometimes can just take a while to get a copy of the map..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Thanks that makes sense, the valuer said that AIB have been sending back any valuation reports without a OS map recently...

Iamhere wrote: »
    Thanks that makes sense, the valuer said that AIB have been sending back any valuation reports without a OS map recently...

Yeah AIB can be a bit fussy about OS maps sometimes. Their rationale behind it is that if aliens came down from the moon and needed to find your house they would have a sufficient map on file to guide them there...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Verte11

Hey there. Does anyone know what 'closing' actually involves? Is this when you get your keys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Verte11 wrote: »
    Hey there. Does anyone know what 'closing' actually involves? Is this when you get your keys?

Bingo... Think outstanding moneys are officially transferred too...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Bingo... Think outstanding moneys are officially transferred too...

Good Question, so who gives you the keys? EA?

'Closing' is where money is handed over to the vendors solicitor for vacant possession of the property in sale by getting the title deeds to the property and the keys.

You will either collect the keys from your solicitor or the EA, whatever arrangements have been made and whatever suits. You can check this with your solicitor the day before you close to find out where the keys will be available from..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

So we've gotten offer letter, waiting on contracts and solicitor is doing the title and deeds checks for us... to find that while the text on the title is accurate regarding the property, the accompanying map is not corresponding to the text..
    solicitor reckons that text will outrank map, but I'm a bit concerned.. he's advising us to go to barrister to get it sorted - anyone have any experience of problems with title?:confused:

also, the valuer rang us to get details of who the EA was and the appropriate contact for the property.. then asked how much had we paid. I was a bit put out by that as I don't believe that what we paid should influence what value the Valuer should put on property - surely they should do their own valuation independently of sales price, and then on our own head be it if the value is less than what was paid??

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Yep, the booking deposit comes out of your 8%...Best of luck!

Hi all, just to let you know AIB approved my loan... so now the fun begins... Will let you all know how it goes for me.

dove2011 wrote: »
    Hi all, just to let you know AIB approved my loan... so now the fun begins... Will let you all know how it goes for me.
    How long did it take them to come back with approval. Have an application in with them at the moment

Also on a less selfish note............CONGRATULATIONS :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Felexicon wrote: »
    How long did it take them to come back with approval. Have an application in with them at the moment

Hi Felexicon

It was sent off last Thursday week; got notification today but that was with alot of pleading with the branch for an answer; as both i and the vendor wants a quick sale. Thank you for your best wishes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

aviendha wrote: »
    surely they should do their own valuation independently of sales price, and then on our own head be it if the value is less than what was paid??

The bank won't let it be on your own head as you won't be getting a mortgage if
    the valuation comes back lower.

That's great news! Well done! The figures stacked up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The bank won't let it be on your own head as you won't be getting a mortgage if
    the valuation comes back lower.

well I presume a lower valuation would just push up the LTV from current 79% to a higher rate, but I should still get a mortgage assuming it doesn't push it beyond their lending LTV ?

aviendha wrote: »
    well I presume a lower valuation would just push up the LTV from current 79% to a higher rate, but I should still get a mortgage assuming it doesn't push it beyond their lending LTV ?

Strictly speaking that is true as the bank will lend up to say 92% of the valuation report or the purchase price - whichever is the lower. You'll find the valuer will ask the EA what the agreed price was and more than likely the valuation will come in at that figure. If the valuation comes in lower than the agreed purchase price you may have the bank questioning you as to why you want to pay over and above the market value for the property. Shouldn't be a deal breaker so long as the loan to value is still within policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressederic

Killers,
    I have a query for u seeing as u seem to be well clued up on all this mortgage business!
    This is my situation. I'm a permanent teacher 43,000 gross. Husband working for agency as carer in hospital, not permanent and no chance of any because of embargo in HSE. Have 25,000 deposit and no loans. Anyway applied to AIB fr 92% which is around 236,000. Now I knew this was a long shot but I thought they would get back saying "No, but we will give you x amount instead" but they didnt! Anyway it is being appealed at the moment. Question is what do u think my chances are with this appeal or any other bank even? I can be gifted 20,000 which I think I will need at this stage! I need to get approval asap as I have booking deposit on the house, didnt realise my husbands salary wouldnt be considered and hes more of a liability than an asset!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just to add here. I got approval in principle last September. Mortgage approved in February. Moved in finally on March 1st. I was back smoking and put on about 2 stone by the time we moved in. Be patient!

Killers,
    I have a query for u seeing as u seem to be well clued up on all this mortgage business!
    This is my situation. I'm a permanent teacher 43,000 gross. Husband working for agency as carer in hospital, not permanent and no chance of any because of embargo in HSE. Have 25,000 deposit and no loans. Anyway applied to AIB fr 92% which is around 236,000. Now I knew this was a long shot but I thought they would get back saying "No, but we will give you x amount instead" but they didnt! Anyway it is being appealed at the moment. Question is what do u think my chances are with this appeal or any other bank even? I can be gifted 20,000 which I think I will need at this stage! I need to get approval asap as I have booking deposit on the house, didnt realise my husbands salary wouldnt be considered and hes more of a liability than an asset!

Hi there, what are your ages?, do you have kids?, how much do you save per month?, how much rent do you pay pm?, do you have any other loans?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

beertons wrote: »
    Just to add here. I got approval in principle last September. Mortgage approved in February. Moved in finally on March 1st. I was back smoking and put on about 2 stone by the time we moved in. Be patient!

Oh oh, I better stop eating! :) I'll keep my smoking habit for now! Congrats on the new house though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

making an offer this morning for the first time. Nerves are up!

folan wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Hope all goes well. :D

folan wrote: »

Best of luck with it! Just remember the negotiation is a process and if you're first offer is accepted you've gone in too high!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bruce_Wayne

Hey All!

Im thinking of buying this year.... hopefully! And was just looking for some feedback/advice from anyone who's in the know, or has been in a similar situation to the one we're in.

The house we're looking to buy should be got for 185k(ish). We have roughly 15k in the bank between us. No car loans, No creidt card debt.

Here is the catch. Im working full time (32K), but my partner has been with the same company on a fulltime/contract basis for the last three years (25K) but her company is under NAMA control so they cant issue her with documentation to say shes fulltime.... Aagghhhh!!!

Are we wasting our time applying for finance because of her situation??? Could i qualify on my own on my earnings???

Cheers People!

Advertisement