Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another refugee off to oz?

• 09-03-2012 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Ok so its another thread about moving down under. But heres the predicament im currently in my early 20s have one year left in college doing engineering but im heading away off to oz for a year maybe two will be leaving a decent paying job (decent = can live on and have fun at the weekend). I hope to go looking to do my regional work as soon as I land and make dollars :) Do most people go out and come back with more money than they left with? I plan on going back and finishing my final year after I do my travelling then if i want head back on a skilled visa or off to canada. Are regional jobs handy enough to come by? Bearing in mind I will be prepared to work in the balls arse of anywere? Any views on this would be appreciated! (Apart from the views that suggest i finish college first) :P

An irish spaceman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Depends what you mean by regional work, could be anything really. Generally though, wages in Oz are quite a bit lower than over here and dollars aren't worth as much as Euros. In my experience it is rare that someone comes back with more than they left with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Why are you going to Australia with one year left in college?

Finish it first!

al28283 wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by regional work, could be anything really. Generally though, wages in Oz are quite a bit lower than over here and dollars aren't worth as much as Euros. In my experience it is rare that someone comes back with more than they left with

Wages are higher in Australia. In some cases a lot higher. It's just the cost of things that brings it close to back in line.

But yeh rarely have I heard someone go to Australia on a WHV and return with bags of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Finish college first, if you don't you'll likely never go back.

And you'll probably piss away most of the money you make despite the good intentions.

irishmover wrote: »
    Wages are higher in Australia. In some cases a lot higher. It's just the cost of things that brings it close to back in line.

But yeh rarely have I heard someone go to Australia on a WHV and return with bags of money.

what jobs have you been doing?

• Advertisement

what jobs have you been doing?

I work FIFO not on a WHV. But I earn 3 times as I would here than if I was back home an it's costin me about 1.8-2 times as much to live here.

I know people who are doing regional work on a cattle station on 22 dollars an hour. That's a nice amount more than if they were working on a farm back home.

I work FIFO not on a WHV. But I earn 3 times as I would here than if I was back home an it's costin me about 1.8-2 times as much to live here.

I know people who are doing regional work on a cattle station on 22 dollars an hour. That's a nice amount more than if they were working on a farm back home.

For the year i was there it was the opposite, wages were lower than here nut so was the cost of living. perhaps it's flipped completely in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

ahhhh I taught I said no going back to college posts. I just need to get away from everything here! Im going to see what all this fuss is about in australia wrestle a few stingrays and see that beach thats in that film think thats somewhere in thailand but ill find it! but the idea isnt really about bringing bags of money home its more about is it possible to sustain a better standard of living over there! Iv been working since I can remember so I dont expect anything to be handed it to me! Like iv got a friend out there earning $27 an hour on a farm with accom and food paid for, is this the norm?

For the year i was there it was the opposite, wages were lower than here nut so was the cost of living. perhaps it's flipped completely in the last few years

Well cost of living over here has shot up in the last few years. Getting jobs ain't as easier as they used to be. It's not a walk in the park for people to come over here and get jobs. But the ones that I know who do are earning a reasonably high amount certainly a lot more than in Ireland.

I'm not in that situation and I wouldn't want to be. I finished college and got sponsorship over here. I can spend money freely or save a large amount a month. I don't think I could be here if I couldnt.

chrispym wrote: »
    ahhhh I taught I said no going back to college posts. I just need to get away from everything here! Im going to see what all this fuss is about in australia wrestle a few stingrays and see that beach thats in that film think thats somewhere in thailand but ill find it! but the idea isnt really about bringing bags of money home its more about is it possible to sustain a better standard of living over there! Iv been working since I can remember so I dont expect anything to be handed it to me! Like iv got a friend out there earning $27 an hour on a farm with accom and food paid for, is this the norm?

If you can get the work it is the norm. 20 to 30 dollars an hour for unskilled work. But you need to get work first. With contacts it's easy but without its quite difficult.

But seriously lad stick at it and finish your course first.

• Advertisement

If you can get the work it is the norm. 20 to 30 dollars an hour for unskilled work. But you need to get work first. With contacts it's easy but without its quite difficult.

Maybe I should have stuck at it but Iv already got the visa and flights booked so if I dont go now ill never get the chance to do the whole Whv scene ya know! Yea well I have a few contacts but dont want to have to rely on anyone. Can't afford to be getting complacent out there have mates that did ended up hom within a month! fack that. Where is best for regional work would you have an idea mate?

Maybe I should have stuck at it but Iv already got the visa and flights booked so if I dont go now ill never get the chance to do the whole Whv scene ya know! Yea well I have a few contacts but dont want to have to rely on anyone. Can't afford to be getting complacent out there have mates that did ended up hom within a month! fack that. Where is best for regional work would you have an idea mate?

I really wouldn't know. Luckily I haven't had to go through that. There is a lot of people on here who have and will give you advice.

Have a look at seek.com.au though. Best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I think you are mad not to finish your degree!

A degree might be the difference between you getting a good job or a crap job

I think you are mad not to finish your degree!

A degree might be the difference between you getting a good job or a crap job

I know this myself but for my 1st year i just want to travel around the place and work the ****ty ass jobs everyone hates to mostly travel about, do the regional work and then come back to ireland with a new lease of life and get the grades I know im capable of getting (but not in this mindset) and then maybe coming back on my 2nd year visa to secure sponsership if thats what i want

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I took a year off before I finished my degree. It turned into 2 years but I still went back to finish it. If you are young you have time on your side.

ellaq wrote: »
    I took a year off before I finished my degree. It turned into 2 years but I still went back to finish it. If you are young you have time on your side.

yeah 21 so not quite past it yet! was it a good idea in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

My sister went to Australia after taking a year out of college, she went for 9 months and came back and finished her degree. She just did casual work so she didnt come home with any money, and she did party hard while she was there. But i'm sure if you are willing to work anywhere you will get something that you can save a bit on. I agree with the above posters, you would have been better to finish the degree first, you would get paid more and have the option of staying on. But since that is not really an option anymore I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get a good job there!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I know this myself but for my 1st year i just want to travel around the place and work the ****ty ass jobs everyone hates to mostly travel about, do the regional work and then come back to ireland with a new lease of life and get the grades I know im capable of getting (but not in this mindset) and then maybe coming back on my 2nd year visa to secure sponsership if thats what i want

In my 3rd year of college we were obligated to do three months work experience at the start of the year - preferable abroad. Most of the class went to the UK or Spain for the summer to do it. I ended up doing a 10 month hospitality management Intern ship in the the US and when I came back I found it impossible to get my head around doing exams and studying. The same happened when I came back from London the following year - I found my final year a struggle..

After you have been travelling and working abroad its hard to just 'switch back' to college mode you know? Not saying it will be the same for you but its something to think about!

And if you happen to meet a bird while in Oz you could find yourself in a bit of a pickle as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I had the opposite experience. I didn't take the first 3 years of my degree seriously at all.
    When I returned to finish it I had matured a bit so was able to take my study seriously. Got a first class which I wouldn't have if I had not taken the break.

I did a lot of temp office work when I was here and in NZ. It was experience on my CV that I didn't previously have.

Of course I ended up living here but that was never my plan when I was on a WHV. I just wanted the life experience and that is what I got. Part of the reason for finishing my degree was to give myself options for my future with regards to immigration.

Advertisement