Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Froch vs George Groves

• 23-07-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Confirmed this morning on sky sports that Froch will defend his titles against Groves who is the mandatory challenger.

Should make for another exciting domestic fight. Realistically cannot see any way that Groves wins this fight but it would be interested to see approach he will take to the fight.

Froch unanimous win on points for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

I imagine Groves will take an evasive approach as he did against Degale. Assuming Froch can pin him down I can see Groves getting KO'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Should be a good fight, surely they won't make it PPV though. Froch is due a bad performance at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Should be a good fight, surely they won't make it PPV though. Froch is due a bad performance at his age.

Oh i have no doubt Hearn will put this on PPV, all that bs about Froch vs Kessler a one off that was just a line to get people back used to PPV, no way i would buy this Groves has done nothing to warrent being in a ppv fight, and is unproven, i rate Groves and hope he wins as i think Froch has gotten far to big for his boots he needs to be reminded how outclassed he was Vs Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

I really like Groves, also a huge Froch fan. Once Carl pins George down, he will get KO'd or stopped. If Kenny Anderson dropped him and Paul Smith was able to wobble him then Froch will take his head off!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Don't like Froch at all, thinks hes a lot better than he actually is. Hope Groves win but fight might be coming a bit soon in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Paul Guevara

Surely Froch walks right through Groves. It's a big step up for Groves based on what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Unless Carl regresses badly and Groves improves greatly I can't see this lasting all that long. Groves has no real SMW strength.

walshb wrote: »
    Unless Carl regresses badly and Groves improves greatly I can't see this lasting all that long. Groves has no real SMW strength.

I think he has decent strength, it's his chin I worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Agree with the consensus here and think Froch will stop Groves. This fight will come a bit too soon for him but its a bit of a no lose situation provided he doesn't take a severe beating. If he wins hes a world champ and if he loses hes still young and can rebuild especially if he puts on a decent show. It sounds obvious but all comes down to whether he can take Froch's punches. If he can he actually has the skill set to out box and frustrate Froch. His defence seems a bit better and he doesnt seem to get wobbled as easily so who knows. I just think Froch will be too strong. Hope not as would love Groves to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Feel Groves is being railroaded into this way too soon. He will be knocked out within 4.

He really should have had a better route planned out for him. Maybe Yusaf Mack or rematch with James De Gale followed by Lucian Bute & if Froch was still around at that point then fine.

I think he is afraid it's a now or never shot at Froch which is not a good position to be in for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Johner wrote: »
    Don't like Froch at all, thinks hes a lot better than he actually is. Hope Groves win but fight might be coming a bit soon in his career.

In fairness if you had beaten Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Lucian Bute and Mikkel Kessler how good would you think you are ?

Personally I believe any fighter fighting at that sort of level with those sort of wins, regardless of their losses will believe that when they are at their best they will defeat anyone.
    TBF his confidence and belief in himself are two of his very strong assets so without that he'd probably be a lesser fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Big Ears wrote: »
    In fairness if you had beaten Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Lucian Bute and Mikkel Kessler how good would you think you are ?

Personally I believe any fighter fighting at that sort of level with those sort of wins, regardless of their losses will believe that when they are at their best they will defeat anyone.
    TBF his confidence and belief in himself are two of his very strong assets so without that he'd probably be a lesser fighter.

He seems to be getting a lot of stick for this of late, as though it's some new development in his character. He's pretty much had that attitude since the days he was calling out Calzaghe (and probably even before that). The only difference is he has a much bigger outlet with Sky Sports so people are only noticing it now.
    As you rightly say, it's a strong asset and are a large part of who he is and the more victories he racks up the more grounds he has for his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Big Ears wrote: »

Well he was losing to Taylor before the KO, lost to Dirrell(my opinion), Glen Johnson is a strong journeyman beating him at this stage of his career is nothing to write home about. Abraham has been badly exposed fighting at a higher level. The Bute and Pascal wins were good wins, Bute will be exposed at a higher level like Abraham was but it was a good win for Froch. And he beat a past it Kessler. i just think Froch is very overrated. He is a good fighter though.

Johner wrote: »

It doesn't help him that he has the personality of a plank and very little charisma so doesn't really pull off the whole 'I'm the greatest' routine.

Agree with the others that he deserves to be fairly cocky but just doesn't pull it off very well.

My problem is he doesn't credit Ward the way he should, he keeps up with this total bs about how he has 2 belts and Ward should fight him in the UK, Why cant he admit Ward is no 1 SMW and is the real champion 2 belts so what the wba belt was a regular belt Ward is ring magazine champion and regonised by all rankings as the number 1 SMW, Also he shows no respect to past ledgends he had the balls to say only lennox is his equal in terms of Brits, thats not just confidence thats arrogance, Shows no respect to Calzaghe and what joe achieved unlike Carl Calzaghe was number 1 at SMW something Froch hasn't managed. He is a good fighter but not a top 10 p4p as some say nor is he at the level of the true great british fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

I came on here going to say how I actually rate Groves chances here, but looks like I'll be joining the 'I like Carl Froch' argument instead.

Firstly, I think Groves is a good enough technical boxer and definitely has enough pop to outbox Froch and keep him honest. I also believe he'll have a very good gameplan laid out for him by Adam Booth which after surprising me against deGale, I think he has the discipline to carry out. The big question mark is over his ability to absorb Froch's best if he gets caught flush. I can't say I'm 100% convinced he can, but I really do see Froch struggling to land for the first half of the fight anyway. After that....

As for those harping on about not liking one of the most honest, fearless, articulate and knowledgable boxers out there, I am really, really surprised. He is everything I like in a boxer and I hope we're not heading back to those dreadful old days in Ireland where you had to lie profusely (dressed up as 'modesty') before people half accepted you as being ok.

Confidence in all walks of life is actually a GOOD thing people!!!

And yeah, I think Ward (and EVERY other top US boxer) should come out of their home country once in a decade or so. The double standards and hypocrisy of Americans when talking of foreigners not coming to the US (their home turf) where everything is in their favour would be laugable if it wasn't so infuriating. Come fight in England Andre in front of 50,000 people NOT cheering for you.

I still think Ward wins, but it would be nice to see more Yanks in the flesh this side of the pond.

The reason Ward doesnt have to fight on Carl's turf is because he is number 1 and the fight wasnt close, the Kessler fight in denmark was close and the home advantage could have won it for kessler, the Ward fight is different it was a one sided masterclass and so Ward proved he is by far better then Carl, its not like Froch did enough in the first fight to warrant a rematch with Andre, so if he wants one it should be on Ward's terms.

The reason Ward doesnt have to fight on Carl's turf is because he is number 1 and the fight wasnt close, the Kessler fight in denmark was close and the home advantage could have won it for kessler, the Ward fight is different it was a one sided masterclass and so Ward proved he is by far better then Carl, its not like Froch did enough in the first fight to warrant a rematch with Andre, so if he wants one it should be on Ward's terms.

The point is that the boxing world doesn't revolve around the states. What happened to the days when champs wanted to be undisputed? Does Ward want that? No! He wants it all his own way, a stones throw from his house in Oakland. REAL champions travel, win, and are fearless. I agree Ward is better than Froch, but he's rubbish to watch, has no charisma and isn't a big draw. I'm happy for the "number 2" who is likeable, charismatic, honest, fearless and entertaining to give us fans what we want to watch!!

I agree it wasn't close and Froch has admitted as much. However, who exactly does Ward fight next?

Plus, as we all know, boxing is a business and I strongly suspect Ward would make more money fighting Froch in England than any other fight he could make at the moment. Why not do it if he's so much better? It would raise him even higher in many people's estimation (mine for one) in that he is prepared to box outside his home comforts, unlike virtually all his contemporaries.

Gorman700 wrote: »
    The point is that the boxing world doesn't revolve around the states. What happened to the days when champs wanted to be undisputed? Does Ward want that? No! He wants it all his own way, a stones throw from his house in Oakland. REAL champions travel, win, and are fearless. I agree Ward is better than Froch, but he's rubbish to watch, has no charisma and isn't a big draw. I'm happy for the "number 2" who is likeable, charismatic, honest, fearless and entertaining to give us fans what we want to watch!!

Agreed with everything up until the points in bold. I think Froch and Ward are good to watch for completely different reasons. It was impressive watching Ward handle someone like Froch with such ease. Hes clearly a better boxer but he was stronger than him and out muscled him for large spells till he got tired.

Plus no way Froch is charismatic. He's as wooden a man as you'll ever meet. Still who needs charisma when you're a millionaire world champion with a smoking missus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lol Froch is charismatic . It will be an interesting fight. Froch will win but not convincingly Groves is a good boxers with decent skills.He has 15KO from 19 so decent power keeping in mind level of opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

megadodge wrote: »
    Firstly, I think Groves is a good enough technical boxer and definitely has enough pop to outbox Froch and keep him honest. I also believe he'll have a very good gameplan laid out for him by Adam Booth which after surprising me against deGale, I think he has the discipline to carry out

A fight I thoroughly enjoyed, but I watched it whilst biting nails. Groves always looked so close to being badly hurt. DeGale just couldn't get the job done. He was stronger and more physically dominant. Froch I feel will walk through Groves and will not fear him one bit in the physical sense. Could he be surprised? Yes. But I reckon Groves' lack of real physicality and power will not see him be too much of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Gorman700 wrote: »

Stones throw from Oakland

Didn't they not fight in Atlanta

That's about a 6hr flight from Oakland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I remember it being some battle just to get Ward to fight on the East coast (and specifically outside California), all kind of hell was kicked up just to do it.

He's probably the worst fighter of his era for refusing to travel. But he's had to pay the price for it !

You know what I mean, it wasnt meant literally, although, he fought tooth and nail to have it on the west coast!

The only loser in all of this is Ward, a number of people incl Froch have said he's difficult to work with bla bla. While he insists on this and that and squabbles for his home comforts the rest of the SM division will flourish which is a crying shame as he is hugely talented!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

A fight I thoroughly enjoyed, but I watched it whilst biting nails. Groves always looked so close to being badly hurt. DeGale just couldn't get the job done. He was stronger and more physically dominant. Froch I feel will walk through Groves and will not fear him one bit in the physical sense. Could he be surprised? Yes. But I reckon Groves' lack of real physicality and power will not see him be too much of a threat.

I'm not sure you have watched groves much since the degale fight judging by this comment. In the degale fight George went into it as the puncher but surprised everyone by boxing. He was very jumpy and expended a lot of energy moving and looking afraid but I'm not sure your concern was warranted.

The big difference in Groves since is he has settled down in fights a lot better. He will keep the jab going(a big solid shot) and look for openings, this is allowing him to generate more power and of the two he looks more of a one punch ok artist (between him and froch).

I think groves makes him look ordinary early but if he doesn't hurt him froch comes on strong in the middle rounds and stops him. Groves will run but will try hit on the move looking to frustrate and land a solid shot when froch misses. Froch will eventually get to him and I think he has enough to take him out

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Negotiating a fight does not revolve around what the better fighter wants (they will fight to see who that is!) it is about who brings more money to the table. Froch is the main draw and ward needs him. Why should Carl give up that power? Should he say "forget about the fact I bring more to the table, your better so we will do it your way"?

fsfg wrote: »
    I'm not sure you have watched groves much since the degale fight judging by this comment. In the degale fight George went into it as the puncher but surprised everyone by boxing. He was very jumpy and expended a lot of energy moving and looking afraid but I'm not sure your concern was warranted.

I have seen him since the fight, and he's met nobody of note or real pedigree. He hasn't shown me any real big improvements.

BTW, I will be rooting for Groves. I like him. Slick, neat and skilled.

• Advertisement

I have seen him since the fight, and he's met nobody of note or real pedigree. He hasn't shown me any real big improvements.

BTW, I will be rooting for Groves. I like him. Slick, neat and skilled.

Very surprised to see that. I think he has improved immensely.

The free-swinging slugger that used to take over once he was either clipped himself or when he rocked someone is (or at least seems to be) gone. His defense has improved considerably and his variety of attacking options has to be respected.

I'm one that used to think he was overrated but he has improved to such a degree that I give him a real shout against Froch.

Advertisement