Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

dagdae wrote: »
    Hi thinking of moving to the lighthouse and really liked it but am worried about the area. Got wolf whistled at a few times on my way back to the luas line after looking at the apartment and felt a bit intimidated and it was only a bit after 6 so wondering if its safe. Tho when walking down church rd the ppl seemed very nice. I'd be walking towards the quays and cross the bridge in front of the new convention centre. Has anyones apartment been broken into also.

hey, we've lived in the area for nearly 2 years now - generally its fine and so convenient for the city center/O2 etc...I dont think you'll have any problems at all - just general 'awareness' for city center living is all ya need! Good luck and hope all goes well for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Looking at a place on St. Mary's rd, any comments on the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

dagdae wrote: »
    Hi thinking of moving to the lighthouse and really liked it but am worried about the area. Got wolf whistled at a few times on my way back to the luas line after looking at the apartment and felt a bit intimidated and it was only a bit after 6 so wondering if its safe. Tho when walking down church rd the ppl seemed very nice. I'd be walking towards the quays and cross the bridge in front of the new convention centre. Has anyones apartment been broken into also.
    There is alot of construction going on by the Luas line so it was prob the workers there, I came from Ballymun and I got to tell you, its alot nicer. Every area has its bad apples but they are just bark and no bite unless you respond... Ignore and you be fine ;)
    Chances are you won't even get that again:rolleyes:
    Duno what to say about the break in but just random selection I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hey guys I'm looking at a couple of places around East Wall atm, namely Merchants Road and Church Road. Anyone have any experience of these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kavanajd

Hi guys was looking at some apt in lighthouse and alexandra myself.
    the one im really interested in tho is an apt in hawthorn mews. i will be viewing this soon but i recently went over to east wall to find the location of the apartments and was slightly shocked :confused:
    the lane way that there down doesnt seem very safe at all. has anyone lived here? also block is extremely small and doesnt look great!:D so would be worried about hearing neighbours etc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dbreen2002

I see there hasn't been too much said about recently. I am thinking of moving to the area to rent an apartment and feel a little apprehensive about the area, as regards to it's location it's perfect and the apartment I viewed is really nice................so just want to know about anti social behavior in the area, is there any trouble with kids and what time does the Centra stay open until??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

dbreen2002 wrote: »
    is there any trouble with kids

You get trouble kids all over Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dbreen2002

The apartment complex is Island Key, I would only ever be coming from the direction of the Luas at Spencer Dock, I live in that area already and if I'm out at night I normally walk home, would you walk down that raod from Sherrif St to the apartment block at 3/4am?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

The apartment complex is Island Key, I would only ever be coming from the direction of the Luas at Spencer Dock, I live in that area already and if I'm out at night I normally walk home, would you walk down that raod from Sherrif St to the apartment block at 3/4am?

Yeah, have done that walk lots of times and never had any hassle. It's a 5-10 min walk so not too bad. I take one of the left turns before Island Key.

There are some seriously bad kids in East Wall, no doubt about it. But I don't think their abuse and intimidation usually turns into actual physical violence. I've had insults and objects thrown at me, but that's the worst it's been so far.

would you walk down that raod from Sherrif St to the apartment block at 3/4am?

There is no part of this country safe at 3/4am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

you'll be absolutely fine mate - no need to worry at all.. Generally the people are friendly and the area is quiet - its mainly 10year old kids that hang around...but theyre all in bed by 10pm! We've lived in Island Key for 2 years - not one bit of hassle and the walk to town is grand etc...hope all goes well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭whatnext

I've found that its the younger kids that are the most agro (cheeky, trying to be intimidating, just generally going out of their way to be a nuisance and get a reaction), and have never seen them around after midnight. Although it can feel a bit eerie at 2, 3 or 4am.

I can honestly say in my 4 years in the area I've had no issues with anyone over the age of about 13 or 14. But not looking forward to when those little pr!cks get a bit bigger:(

Have always had good craic with the guys both sides of the bar in the Seabank also.

Anyway, if I were you I'd be more worried about the Headless Horse man:eek: at Old Johnny Cullen's Hill (the bridge on east road, I believe) at that hour of the morning:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NickyNin

JosDel wrote: »

Not in my area.

I think the kids down in East Wall are little pr...... I wouldn't live there if I had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

I lived in 3 different parts of East Wall over the last 3 years. I've never had a spot of trouble. The kids that hang around are little pricks alright, but they don't go near adults.

My housemate did have the window of his car smashed one time though, but that's about it.

I'd be careful walking home at 3/4 am though. I've done it and never had any trouble, but parts of the area are quite isolated at that time, so you could be unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yes, everywhere is the exact same. :rolleyes:

I recall a 16 year old shot a man in East Wall in 2008. He was part of a gang of kids that had been harrassing him.
    There is no part of this country safe at 3/4am

Are you serious?

It's very sad to see that an area of dublin which was a very quite place to live, a safe place to be in at any hour of the day has changed so much, I remember as a kid in the late 70s I use to hang around east wall a lot and it was one of the best and safest places to be in. It's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

What's sad to see is so much being promised to the area by the Dublin Docklands Authority (DDA) in form of rejuvenation planning including Church Road and surrounding areas circa 2006 never being implemented. We can add the DDA to the ever growing list of incompetent institutions in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's very sad to see that an area of dublin which was a very quite place to live, a safe place to be in at any hour of the day has changed so much, I remember as a kid in the late 70s I use to hang around east wall a lot and it was one of the best and safest places to be in. It's sad.

Really??, my grandparents were living there in the late 50's and early 60's and moved to Ballybough Road because apparently the area was very rough all the way back then and to quote my granny "no place to raise a family". Maybe it improved in the 70's and became worse again after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm living in Eastwall now just under 3 months and i cant wait to get the FCUK out of here, the place is a complete **** hole dive and i stupidly signed a contract for 1 year which we cant get out of.

If the guy who started this topic is still looking to buy DONT DO IT!!!! (better late than never lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's not very fair readysteadyletsgo, you have admitted in another thread that you hate every part of Dublin city and it's inhabitants. Your jaundiced view of the capital is incorrect, why should anyone listen to you?

• Advertisement

Eh, becasue i have lived and worked all around dublin city and county all my life. Eastwall is a hole, full of little knackers, sames as a lot of other places in dublin, it just so happens i live in eastwall at this very moment (bad move on my part!) so i think i can judge it fairly after a few months here.

8 more horrible months here and I'm outta here!

(bad move on my part!) so i think i can judge it fairly after a few months here

Well, as you said, your move, nobody forced you, don't get a job as a researcher. So, it's a few months? Have you got to know your neighbours? Have you in any way involved yourself in the community? Did you in any way ingratiate yourself? Do you buy local? Surely you can't knock Curtis's.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Well, as you said, your move, nobody forced you, don't get a job as a researcher. So, it's a few months? Have you got to know your neighbours? Have you in any way involved yourself in the community? Did you in any way ingratiate yourself? Do you buy local? Surely you can't knock Curtis's.

I rent, didnt buy, so no need to involve myself or get to know the neighbours. We moved here liking the house we live in, but the build of it is shocking, walls are so thin, noise everywhere and very cold, that **** happens sometimes, what can ya do, but one of our neighbours is a drug dealer and i wouldnt cross him in a second! Dodgy lookin fcuker if i ever did see one, walks around as if he owns the area(!). The other neighbour is a mother who spends all day screaming at her 1 year old, he's the cutest kid in the world, poor fella has no chance! The father is no better. Yes i shop local, not in the centra, in the XL, its a fine shop, staff are really great but every night they have to put up with gangs of little knackers shouting and throwing **** at the shop all night, that sucks!

So as i said, the place is a **** hole, like a lot of places in dublin i guess. Am i not aloud to have an opinion of a place i am living?

Am i not aloud to have an opinion of a place i am living?

Of course, I didn't mean to come across like that, but if you are going to judge the people of an area and then say things like this;
    no need to involve myself or get to know the neighbours

You prove not to be the best judge on the people of the area.

Just because you are renting doesn't make you a lesser member of the community. Your neighbours may be dodgy, that doesn't mean everyone there is. I lived in the area for a lot longer than you did and had deadly neighbours. Still though, it's unfortunate for you though, nothing worse than bad neighbours and judging by the posts here the area seems to be getting a rough time compared to when I lived there.

Hard to believe its 6 years since I first posted this request here as the OP and the thread is still alive. Good to see. :-)

Well I went ahead and bought an apt in East Wall back in 2004, in the Lighthouse complex and I don't regret it one bit. The complex has matured well over the years, maintained to a high standard, rarely any issues that I hear about and is pretty quiet. It also seems fully occupied which is great. Some of the apt blocks built later in the area seem to be suffering from being half finished Nama style but that's another thread I guess. The centra on Church Road beside the apt block is a god send and is really good value. Hard to believe for a convenience store but it is.

I had high hopes for a regeneration of the area at the time, had inspected the DDA plans for Church Road etc and it looked promising. The DDA failed to deliver on its plans to date. Saying that I actually think the area is fine. I commute to work in town from here and it's grand and handy walking through the area, no trouble to date thank god. One thing to remember though, this is inner city Dublin, much like Ringsend on the southside and people should have realistic expectations when they move here. This is D3, not D4 or similar. I find the people generally fine, a few dodgy characters for sure but that could be said of most areas.

So in summary I quite enjoy living here and have no regrets about my purchase back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Ringsend is in D4...

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Ringsend is in D4...

By postcode you are quite correct Ringsend is indeed Dublin 4. If you think the area does not have it's roots in inner city Dublin, you are sadly mistaken.

I do not in any way intend this to be a derogatory comment about inner city Dublin, I am just stating facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Ringsend is in D4...

Indeed it is..it's also traditionally a working class area of inner city Dublin which happens to have a Dublin 4 postcode. What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

East Road in the news tonight :eek: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1030/eastwall.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

candyman wrote: »
    Hard to believe its 6 years since I first posted this request here as the OP and the thread is still alive. Good to see. :-)

So in summary I quite enjoy living here and have no regrets about my purchase back in the day.

How much negative equity are you in? My sister lives in East Wall and wants to get the **** out.

Advertisement