Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to boards

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I find nothing wrong with elitism. It’s a natural responds when you have a small close group suddenly explode into a huge pack of strangers. Personally when I see someone thinking their better just because they're registration date is a few years older I'll ignore them and after a few months they'll get used to ya and accept you. I mean unless you were one of the founding members of boards, all of us had to go through a stage of being a newbie and everyone looking down on you. Esp. if you started out in the quake/cs scene, but once you've been around a bit and start to fit in it kinda makes it feel more worthwhile. Of course all things in moderation, I'm not advocating everyone rips the piss out of every new person who comes to boards purely because they're new. I just think if someone acts the gimp they deserve to have a bit of a poking.

One suggestion I would have for the boards is that for new members there's a certain period of time where you can only read posts and not post yourself. I don't know two weeks or whatever. Its kinda like the time limit they have in America for buying guns so you're rage can subside. It will stop people at pissups making new accounts and spamming away. Might slow bubbles down a bit, and it will also give genuine new members a chance to figure out how they should behave here and what to expect when they start posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I aggree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by seamus

Indeed, that chap worries me. Whenever anyone else posts a 'whats your favourite.....' thread, he almost immediately replies with a 100-entry list. Sometimes it seems like he just sits at home and makes lists of stuff all day :p

Wow you really got my number there Seamus, fair play to you ya fecking idiot. :rolleyes:

*sigh* N-E-way .... Yep, I probably make most of the polls (on the boards that I read at least) ... and I'm not denying it.

But in my defence I've seen polls I've made get more than 100 responses, so clearly some people in here are interested in using them! Therefore as long as I've something I'd like to 'vox pop' (so to speak) I'll keep posting polls.

Anyway I can't see how something (such as a poll) that identifies itself as such before you even open the thread could annoy people as much as a spammer. Therefore I don't see where the problem is?

Finally to the guy who suggested a two week 'cooling off period' after registration : It's a good idea but it simply won't work because the only reason anyone is going to register in the first place is because they want to make that initial post and a waiting period will just discourage them from siginging up at all.

The guy who started the thread seems to want 'more confrontation/less newbie action' so why don't the mods give him what he wants with a new 'anything goes' board limited only to people with +1000 post or 12 months experience here or whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think it's not as good any more because it's more defined as a community and with strict rules and guidelines
    The CS boards used to actually be funny to read, now they are just dull

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Pigman
    Wow you really got my number there Seamus, fair play to you ya fecking idiot. :rolleyes:
    No no no no no....that's completely wrong. Didn't you do your homework?When someone makes a small, noncomittal poke at you, then you must respond with a wittier, more abusive remark, along the lines of:
    No seamus, I only make out those lists while waiting for YORE MA to finish with her other clients
    :) See? Now go and write "I will not take anything said on boards.ie as a serious representation of its author's opinions" one hundred times. :)

But in my defence I've seen polls I've made get more than 100 responses, so clearly some people in here are interested in using them! Therefore as long as I've something I'd like to 'vox pop' (so to speak) I'll keep posting polls.
    Agreed. They are interesting, but annoying.

<major vBulletin hack suggestion>Maybe if moderators could falg threads as 'popular', which would then prevent them from showing up in 'View new posts', people wouldn't be so annoyed by them.</major vBulletin hack suggestion>

A prime example is the "What tune are you currently listen to now?" thread. Annoying as f*ck, but it's always gonna be there....

:)

• Advertisement

No no no no no....that's completely wrong. Didn't you do your homework?When someone makes a small, noncomittal poke at you, then you must respond with a wittier, more abusive remark, along the lines of:
    No seamus, I only make out those lists while waiting for YORE MA to finish with her other clients
    Yore Ma eh? Very good! I suppose I could but then I thought the boards.ie slot for writing in the style of childish 17 year old virgin whose only sexual experience was with a vacium cleaner had already been filled by you?

:) See? Now go and write "I will not take anything said on boards.ie as a serious representation of its author's opinions" one hundred times. :)
    That sounds like a cool philosophy, which I now intend to follow you intelligent, articulate fountain of wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

^^ see someone always gets offended :rolleyes:

The suggestion for threads to be automatically locked after no new post has appeared within say 2 weeks/month seems vg and would at least stop the stupid thread diggers like that lad on the humour board a while back amongst others, this is one of the most annoying things a new user can do.

Surely if cloud can write an automatic script to delete sigs, dev's included :D then surely we could have a sript in place to auto lock threads after said time of inactivity?

People can be too pc? Well we do type our replies on them and I'd say it's safe to say so many people spend so much time on them (myself included) it's a wonder we haven't turned into one.......yet! Or that we haven't turned into some sort of collective resembling the borg (ref. any trekkie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yore Ma eh? Very good! I suppose I could but then I thought the boards.ie slot for writing in the style of childish 17 year old virgin whose only sexual experience was with a vacium cleaner had already been filled by you?

Ah, that's better! We'll make a flamer out of you yet! (700 posts since april? fs...)
    That sounds like a cool philosophy, which I now intend to follow you intelligent, articulate fountain of wit.

Flattery will get you everywhere. You're really beginning to get the hang of boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Ah, that's better! We'll make a flamer out of you yet! (700 posts since april? fs...)

Flattery will get you everywhere. You're really beginning to get the hang of boards.ie :D

you know what, you should try and look at the average posts per day.
    you complain about 700 posts since april. well look again. youre not exactly well eblow are you.

flame?
    you wouldnt even be a match beside me mate.

get back in your box and stop talking rubbish and let the people have their say......

• Advertisement

Great.

Check your own ratio by the way. I still have newbie 'novelty-value' as an excuse. You've clocked 2000+ and are still at 5.23
    Flattery will get you everywhere. You're really beginning to get the hang of boards.ie :D [/B]

Yeah, that whole type-and-post concept really has so many layers to it. You should be proud to have mastered it.

Advertisement