Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2012

• 29-01-2012 3:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That time of the year again. Tickets go on sale at midnight on the 2nd of February (Thursday). Al Pacino is confirmed as attending, but that's about it.

Anything on the wishlist for this year? Hopefully Guy Maddin's new film Keyhole will be in there (although it's still doing the rounds at the big festivals like Berlin, so maybe not). I know the Kid with a Bike is due for a - ludicrously belated - late March theatrical release, but would be a nice addition to the schedule given its rave reviews from pretty much everywhere. Same with the Turin Horse.

My big hope would be Himizu, but that's getting it's official English language launch at a festival in London in April so it's unlikely :(

Still, hopefully there'll be enough films to gorge on for a fortnight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

I saw The Kid With A Bike as the closing film of the IFI's French Film Festival last November, so I don't know if JDIFF will hold a repeat screening. It's really good though, definitely recommend seeing it when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

This is a REAL long shot (since I think the amount of times JDIFF has shown an anime has been less than 1) but I'd love to see Goro Miyazaki's "From Kokuriko Hill". Well it was in the the Toronto and Rome film festivals so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Hopefully they'll show The Raid and This Must Be The Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Kid with the Bike is great - much better than the last Dardennes film - up there with their best work. Definitely go see it if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stellan Skarsgard will be attending also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Stellan Skarsgard will be attending also

Awesome. I'd defo go to him doing a q&a.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll show The Raid and This Must Be The Place.

I'd say This Must Be the Place is a contender for the Closing Film.
    I really hope they show the Kevin Clash documentary, Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey and Rodney Ascher's documentary on The Shining, Room 237.
    Presumably they won't have their "annual Woody Allen film" though, since there isn't one in the can.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I'm hoping that Into the Abyss will be involved. Probably not but since Cave of Forgotten Dreams was there last year, I'll live in hope. Does anyone know when the list of films and special events like presentations from directors & writers being announced?

The whole programme will go online at midnight on Thursday, but - as with other years - they usually add a few guests as the festival approaches.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Good morning everyone.

This is my first JDIFF. (as I have moved to Ireland a few months ago).
    I bought a season ticket last night from the festival's site!
    Now I don't know what to do next.
    Anybody could/would share useful information on this? How I book tickets and everything?
    Or is it better to just call the Film festival directly?

Thanks a million people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

This is my first JDIFF. (as I have moved to Ireland a few months ago).
    I bought a season ticket last night from the festival's site!
    Now I don't know what to do next.
    Anybody could/would share useful information on this? How I book tickets and everything?
    Or is it better to just call the Film festival directly?

Thanks a million people!!!

If you bought a season ticket you can go in to the office today in Filmbase in Temple Bar from midday and start booking tickets. It's only open today for season ticket holders. Ticket sales for everbody else go on sale at midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Being it's 10th anniversary and all, I'm surprisingly optimistic about what will be shown at this years festival. I really don't know how these things are run/organised but maybe using that line influenced a few decent films to come over here this time. That's incredibly naive and simplistic thinking reading back on it!

Decuc500 wrote: »
    If you bought a season ticket you can go in to the office today in Filmbase in Temple Bar from midday and start booking tickets. It's only open today for season ticket holders. Ticket sales for everbody else go on sale at midnight tonight.

Decuc500, thank you.
    I won't be able to go in person today (I am living in Drogheda), so it will be tonight through the website!! :)

Anyone see the program yet?

Renn wrote: »
    Anyone see the program yet?

I did. Many interesting things at first glance, some falling upon one another.
    All set to start booking tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Anyone manage to buy tickets yet?

I'm still stuck in this 'queue' thing.

Me too. It's ridiculous. I know there's a demand, but this is nonsense.

Is there not just a list we can glance at before booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

anyone got link to the programme?

No, it's always like this. Sometimes they post the marquee events on the front page, but this is the usual system. What a farce. A big song and dance about their launch, and then (a) it crashes temporarily and (b) it has a nonsensical queue. There's no excuse for this. It's not like buying tickets for a concert, where everyone vying for the same thing. People just want to look at what's on and they can't even do that.

Edit: useful link to a pdf of the programme now available on the home page.

Yet again, an awful lot of reissue screenings filling up the schedule. Disappointing to see that trend has now become a regular occurance.

• Advertisement

Keep on getting an error!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I'm so excited to see Into the Abyss that I forgot my address when filling out the information for order details after booking a ticket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

PDF file here for people who want, you know, the full PDF, rather than having to view it through some crappy Flash viewer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7zdcevq0l4dq137

Hmmm I didn't spot 1 Japanese film among the list, and the only Korean film happened to be already shown in the IFI last year!

I'll have to look into some of the other movies though, could be some good stuff. The Herzog movie is a definite though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, yay! I'm tired of hearing about good this is. Margaret and The Raid (hopefully minus the Lincoln Park soundtrack) are also on there.

Margaret is on at the IFI as well, just so you know.

This is pretty frustrating, it's giving me 30 minutes to get all my tickets but it's loading so slowly!

Renn wrote: »
    Margaret is on at the IFI as well, just so you know.

Cheers, I was just about to book that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Given that Al Pacino is attending I hope they show his latest film. I believe its a moody, film-noir with some powerful individual performances. The director has a track record too in producing some lesser known, arty classics too

• Advertisement

[adapts Napoleon Dynamite voice]
    "This is pretty much the worst web site ever made".

Advertisement