Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad sessions in North Kildare

• 19-06-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know of trad sessions in the North Kildare area. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

vektarman wrote: »
    Hi,

There are sessions every wednesday night in the Poitin stil in Rathcoole, not North Kildare but close enough. Sessions in Kilcock as well I think, not sure where though. I know there used to be one on a thursday in celbridge, in the Celbridge house I'd say its still on. I've heard of sessions in Newbridge as well from people I've met at fleadhs,but I've never gone so I don't know where they're on.
    There are large Comhaltas branches in Leixlip and Kilteel/Eadestown that have sessions fairly regularly but no set weekly ones really.

What do ya play yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

Hi,There a Trad session in the Newtown inn Maynooth on Thursday nights.Bradys Maynooth Wednesday nights.Celbridge House on Thurs nights.Theres one in the Lord Lucan on one of the week nights!!!.THe pub at the Strawberry beds have one on a Mon Night as does the hangedmans arch in Milltown near Newbridge also on a monday night.I think theres one on a friday night in the monreath lodge in naas.And theres a super Trad band called 'Spraoi' playing in the Mucky Duck Celbridge every second thurs night and if you re any good you can get up and play a few reels/jigs with them.

Hope this is of some help.

Rithim wrote: »
    I think theres one on a friday night in the monreath lodge in naas.

Never heard of this before, and I'm from Naas pretty much. Any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks for the replies, I don't play anything myself but I've some Canadian family coming over in a couple of weeks and they play traditional irish instruments, they're prefer to go to a local session rather than a Dublin city centre tourist venue, I'm in Celbridge so all those venues you've given me are fine, thanks again.

Thanks for the replies, I don't play anything myself but I've some Canadian family coming over in a couple of weeks and they play traditional irish instruments, they're prefer to go to a local session rather than a Dublin city centre tourist venue, I'm in Celbridge so all those venues you've given me are fine, thanks again.

Cool, feel free to pm me when they get here and I can let you know if anything in particular is on! There's trad festivals all over the country pretty much every week of the summer too so they might be good for a day trip or something!

• Advertisement

There was a Trad session in the monreath up to a month ago and was advertised in the Kildare Post.It could be finished now.And don't forget to bring your canadian friends to the Mucky Duck Celbridge.Spraoi is playing there July 2nd,16th,Aug 2nd,20th,Sept 5th,24th........the best of live Trad with songs from Planxty,Frank Harte,Deanta,Christy,Furys,Horslips etc etc plus all the usual fare depending on crowd and requests.Spraoi do some American/Canadian emigration songs which they might like.

And don't forget to bring your canadian friends to the Mucky Duck Celbridge.Spraoi is playing there July 2nd,16th,Aug 2nd,20th,Sept 5th,24th........the best of live Trad with songs from Planxty,Frank Harte,Deanta,Christy,Furys,Horslips etc etc plus all the usual fare depending on crowd and requests.Spraoi do some American/Canadian emigration songs which they might like.

Vested interest much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trad mad

hey guys, there seems to be a good few sessions in this area, i was just wondering are there any singers sessions or singers circles in the area?

bump

bump

Eh why exactly?

• Advertisement

If you must know I am trying to delete a very old add .......not this one..... and I was told If I bump up a thread I might be able to delete it.

I thought I 'd experiment with this one but it did'nt work.Talking to moderator at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Hi,

Clancys in Athy on Thursday nights and Bardons in Kilcullen. Our pub, The Hideout have the odd trad sessions. I'll let you know of the next one.

T*

• Registered Users Posts: 18 whatsthecraic

Anyone know if any of these sessions are still running? Or anyone know of any sessions around kilcullen/ballymore eustace these days?

Advertisement