Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters' rights in Ireland?

• 18-09-2002 6:11pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on Squatters rights in Ireland, I'm looking for info on all aspects of it from land to building squatting etc. The entire Irish law on it would be nice! If anyone has any idea where I could get such info on the net it would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 monkeys

im looking into this a little myself but as far as i know the law is much in favour of the rightful land owner. The occupier or squatter must be in posession for twelve years. Posession here means showing initiative to claim owner ship, not too sure wat this may include but i would assume fenceing, cordoning off parts of land, setting up home. The landlord can pause this twelve year clock by showing assertion or means to rightful ownership. now i dont know if this is any use to you but as far as i know i think grazing rights are not included as initiative for possesion on behalf of the squatter.

Hope that stream of babble was any used.

Check out william fry's web page and other law firms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭pah

I'm curious if the OP will get this info LOL. 7 Years after posting!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Well they are getting closer to having squatter's rights at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 larryburns

12 YEARS YOU GOT RIGHTS,,BUT FOR NOW
    JUST DO IT AND KEEP QUIET..NOW COULDNT BE A BETTER TIME..
    ALL THOSE EMPTY LONLEY BUILDINGS...
    GET KRAAKEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Velros

Any update on this? Anyone got any info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

This guy has the right idea with all the empty houses about.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/squatter-told-he-can-stay-in-nama-ghost-estate-home-2907066.html
    I wonder will he effectively own the house after 12 years so? Or will he just be entitled to live in it, but it would still be owned by NAMA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

This guy has the right idea with all the empty houses about.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/squatter-told-he-can-stay-in-nama-ghost-estate-home-2907066.html
    I wonder will he effectively own the house after 12 years so? Or will he just be entitled to live in it, but it would still be owned by NAMA.

If he is left there for the 12 years he might have a claim for adverse possession. There is no conveyance to him by operation of law.
    The owner will probably bring a civil claim for possession now that the criminal prosecution has failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Slavery

I am starting a movement. I want to find enough people to help fill an empty block of apartments in docklands... nama are trying to control the market, this is unfair as we have the right to lower housing prices as this is a perk of the recession that has been stolen from us. I need 50 people to join me and we can take whats rightfully ours.

A home is a basic human right.
    Im sick of moving my whole life.
    Im sick of not having somewhere for my family and friends to visit.
    Im sick of looking at basic homes with price tags of a quarter of a million plus, we arent all millionaires.
    Im sick of knowing I cant build a family.
    Im sick of being refused a mortgage and being laughed at by bankers.
    Im sick of having to prove that i can pay rent to agents like im some bum.
    Im sick of being scared of ending up homeless.

Who else is sick of this slavery?

Lets end this now. Lets smash this property slavery once and for all. Lets get settled.

We have paid for these houses. calculate how much you have paid in rent and mortgages over the years.. we have nothing to show.

I have a dream too, It was after many nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭pah

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement