Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Army jeeps - cool !

• 09-02-2005 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭

The Army Ranger Wing (ARW) have recently purchased new combat recon jeeps (i.e. SAS type vehicles).

They are U.S Ford F350 LHD jeeps which will mainly be used on foreign missions - hence the LHD option. The ARW are now better equipped than most equivalent units worldwide !

Couple of pics of them in action (think they bought c.15 so far) -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It looks like a Toyota Hi-Lux that the A-Team got a hold of. biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Silvera wrote:
    The ARW are now better equipped than most equivalent units worldwide !-

I would not go that far.....they are a top unit all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

It does have a 'Toyota pick-up' look about it alright, but I believe they are huge when viewed 'in the flesh' .

Apparently, they are the best recon jeeps on the market !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

wouldn't mind cruising down O Connell St in one of those:)

Dub13 wrote:
    I would not go that far.....they are a top unit all the same.

I said most.

(It's even a fact that Irish Army standard-issue Steyr machine guns are superior to British Army SA80's, which are c@*p - as reported on BBC News)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Because the Irish Army standard-issue weapon's are beter than the Brits does not mean much.The SAS do not use the SA80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

What a waste of taxpayers money!!! :eek:
    Not the vehicles ,they rule ,just the tools on them..... and I don't just mean the arms !!!
    Remember NEVER TRUST A MOUSTACHE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I cannot tell what it might me. It certainly does not look line any D350 I have seen. It seems a bit too short.
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/
    Petrol or diesel?. V?, Man or Auto, Air Con and heated seats?
    It does look like a Toy Tundra.

I find the side relay indicators and bull-bars and roll bars, an interesting touch, given it does not have doors or roof. Tut, tut, no NCT certification there.
    Does, seem a bit like a few item I have seen floating about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Does, seem a bit like a few item I have seen floating about here.

You've obviously been driving through Finglas on a Saturday night! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Wow, imagine the Irish army possessing anything that might be considered offensive! They proper APC's and now these units and all bought by a FF government (who since Michael Collins have had a fear of an Irish army and never took military investment seriously).

Had a look at eTenders to see who got the contract for these units. No sign of it. Would they be on demo or loan or modifications of existing vehicles? I do notice that they intend to purchase 150 4x4's 'jeeps' fitted with radio over the next 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Silvera wrote:
    It does have a 'Toyota pick-up' look about it alright, but I believe they are huge when viewed 'in the flesh' .
    !

Yeah, could have sworn its a Somali 'technical'. Hope they didn't pay a huge amount for em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I believe they were purchased for the liberia mission, the army rangers were the first (irish) unit on the ground over there, see the Un on the side of them

ARW%20patrol.jpg

Regardless, they are a neat 'piece of kit' all the same !

Combined with the Mowag Piranaha III APC's purchased over the last few years (and the Air Corps new fast turboprops - and soon new helis, and the Navy's sleek new patrol ships) Defence Force equipment has come a long way !!

Nuttzz wrote:
    I believe they were purchased for the liberia mission, the army rangers were the first (irish) unit on the ground over there, see the Un on the side of them

ARW%20patrol.jpg

I'm sure they weren't purchased just for Liberia.
    Interestingly, those Land Rovers in the pics were borrowed/bought just for Liberia - the Army only uses Land Rovers in the ambulance role now, the rest of the fleet comprises of Nissan Patrols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Poor fellas in those will get drenched from the Irish weather, no roof, aww :)
    Surely the vehicles must be for some hot country !

Yes, the new jeeps will probably spend most of their time on foreign ops, thats why they chose left hand drive models.

Don't forget the SAS in the UK (and many other special forces) use open Land Rovers like those pictured above, or similar jeeps. It's the preferred transport for special forces - ease of movement I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yeah but when are we going to get some decent fighter jets - surely there must be a few used high mileage F15's knocking about somewhere at this stage. it pains me to see our air force reduced to using planes that are not much better than cesna's. I mean if a hijacked plane was heading for the Aras what could we do to stop it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The West-Link tole bridge.... biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yeah but when are we going to get some decent fighter jets - surely there must be a few used high mileage F15's knocking about somewhere at this stage. it pains me to see our air force reduced to using planes that are not much better than cesna's. I mean if a hijacked plane was heading for the Aras what could we do to stop it :eek:

And you'd want to stop it because....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah but when are we going to get some decent fighter jets

Hahaha :)

No figher jets in Ireland. Taking the 50 year backwards rule, we should have had them in the 90s :p

Alfasudcrazy,
    As somebody with an interest in our Air Corps, I too would like to see some fighter jets with the Air Corps roundel painted on them.........but it's ain't goin to happen anytime soon - the govt just won't spend the money !
    (Compare this to neutral Switzerland or Sweden - they're armed to the teeth with fighter jets, etc.)

The last jets we had, Fougas, were withdrawn from use in 1999 and while there was some discussion about replacing them with more jets, they have now effectively been replaced with turboprops, namely Pilatus PC-9M's.
    But I would not compare the PC-9's to Cessnas ! .........have you seen them in action ? ...they are very impressive ! (I have seen them firing weapons) They are as capable (even more capable!) than the Fouga jets ! ........the Brazilian Air Force use a similar turboprops to shoot down drug smuggler helicopters and planes !!!

Wait til you see them in action at the Salthill Air Show in July ! (www.salthillairshow.com)

Hey, isn't this a car forum ? :D

(go to the www.irishairpics.com forum for Air Corps debates ! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Well just a quick tupenny piece, i happen to have the pleasure/ displeasure to supply the parts for the Rangers jeeps,not an easy task. Even got a chance to sit in one and check it out :D

Inital impression was ''jesus these things would roll all over the shop at high speed'' Im sure im wrong about this.

Would of liked to see the .50 cal mounted :p .

Someone mentioned the Swiss Mowags earlier, One day down the Curragh one of the Transport officers said they were sending TEN back because of Hairline/general cracking of the body :eek: At One million a pop i think i'd be getting extended warranty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

On a different note, did anyone see the extensive riots near the phoenix park last summer :) . the funny thing was the guards used psni water canon on loan from the north. In the tv pictures they had irish plates, whats going on there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Inital impression was ''jesus these things would roll all over the shop at high speed'' Im sure im wrong about this

I'm sure you're right. Pretty much all 4WDs do
    Would of liked to see the .50 cal mounted :p

Amazing piece of equipment - t's been used for nearly 100 years now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

stratos wrote:
    On a different note, did anyone see the extensive riots near the phoenix park last summer :) . the funny thing was the guards used psni water canon on loan from the north. In the tv pictures they had irish plates, whats going on there ?

Extensive riots??? Where and when??? A few people shouting at the Gardai doesn't constitute an extensive riot. Then again, any sort of interface with the public by the Gardai is completely beyond their training.

Someone mentioned the Swiss Mowags earlier, One day down the Curragh one of the Transport officers said they were sending TEN back because of Hairline/general cracking of the body :eek: At One million a pop i think i'd be getting extended warranty :D

It was something of a surprise for this to happen to new apc's - however, it was sorted out by Mowag, under warranty.

stratos wrote:

I too saw a pic of an Irish-reg water cannon - I presume they (temporarily) registered them here rather than confront rioters with N.I.-reg vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

there not sonew they've had them for about a year and a half now and they are ford make too

• Advertisement

there not sonew they've had them for about a year and a half now and they are ford make too

They're new to me - hadn't seen them before ;)

I said they are Ford's in my original post.

Regards,
    Silvera.

Advertisement