Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game podcasts

• 09-11-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for podcasts about games. Something not too spoiler-y but just discussing general news or interviews with people in the industry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A life well wasted is fantastic
    Rebel FM
    Podcast beyond
    The old gamespy debriefings..

And you should listen to the comedy button.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Eurogamer's podcast has really grown up in the last couple of months since they changed the format. It's actually an excellent discussion on the news and games of the week. My only complaint is it's a bit short (40-50 mins).

Giant Bombcast - always great, and always a meaty and funny show (usually 2½ hours).

Some IGN Podcasts - Game Scoop (general news), Nintendo Voice Chat (guess), and Podcast Unlocked (360 podcast).

Games Dammit! - 1UP's weekly podcast - good fun too.

GMRFM - Great Irish Podcast. There hasn't been an episode for a good few months, though.

Major Nelson Radio - A weekly staple for me. Xbox news and discussion, directly from Microsoft. Very likeable presenters too.

Weekend Confirmed - Just found this a few weeks ago and I like what I've heard. Long podcast, so great for long weekend car rides (it comes out on Fridays).

Touch Arcade Show - Podcast for ipod gaming.

Should keep you going for a while. :)
    Try one of each and see what ones you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I cannot reccomend a life well wasted enough, underappreciated. Its super interested, goes over a certain topic, not many episode, but qood quality. And rebel fm is good too, but more informal than others, but good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm about an hour into Giant Bombcast (once you said the name I was pretty sure a friend may have mentioned it before, or their site or something). Fantastic. Really enjoyable so far. Seems to be exactly what I was after. Hosts have a bit of craic with each other, nothing spoilery. Hell, I wasn't even going to buy Saints Row 3 but now they've kinda convinced me :D

I'll check out A Life Well Wasted over the weekend hopefully too.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Giant Bombcast is my favourite. I also like One Life Left. It's broadcast on a London radio station every Monday, and the podcast goes up a few days after. It's not as heavy as Giant Bomb, but there is good variety in the hour. They can get some (lesser known) UK based developers in as guests sometimes.

Like others have said, A Life Well Wasted is fantastic to listen to too. It'd be great if the episodes were more frequent though.

• Advertisement

I listen to OLL too, but I don't think its great. They play some of the most tuneless chip tunes I've ever heard, and their weekly contributors (Derek etc.) are not very interesting or entertaining.

I've gotten into the habit of listening to the first 15 mins for the intro and news (maybe longer if they have a special guest), but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some of the chiptunes and contributors are hit and miss alright. I was looking for a more European centric podcast when I started listening to them. I preferred them to Eurogamer as they were more upbeat and didn't sound like they were recording in someone's backroom with the window open. I must give EG another go as you said they've improved.

In Eurogamer, they dropped all the novelty items (Desert Island Games, etc.)
    Now they just have an intelligent discussion about games for 40 minutes.
    Worth trying again if you gave up on them before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Listen to the back-catalog of The Gamespy Debriefings and then move onto the Comedy Button. Not strictly Video game related, but they do talk about games sometimes. Cannot recommend these highly enough.

IGN Game Scoop for general news.
    IGN Podcast Beyond for PS3 news.
    IGN Podcast Unlocked for 360 news, though I'm still waiting to be won over by the new 360 editor since Clements went to PS3.....
    IGN NVC for Nintendo.
    Rebel FM is great as well, though I'm a recent convert to this.
    The IGN AU Pubcast is bloody brilliant. People getting drunk and talking about games, can't go wrong really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Totally Rad Show is a podcast about many things, including games. It's enjoyable, might be worth a watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

This is a link to my own website with podcasts on video games, and news and stuff.. www.gameslushy.com

Me and a mate started it a couple of months ago, but i've not really gotten around to promoting it much so i think it has like 1 listener :D

Anyway guys please check it out and let me know - We've only made 4 casts and they are about 1 hour each, would really really really appreciate some feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Twit.tv are starting a new gaming podcast in the new year, it has veronica belmont and brian brushwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O1DQfiAO-w4

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My favourite gaming podcast is EpicBattleCry (from the site EpicBattleAxe). They do a weekly podcast and vodcast version (which is excellent). Hosted by Tony Grice, Brent Adams and GT's Daniel Kayser (he's amazing,the PUN-isher!) it's a very upbeat, positive energy, great discussion show that runs from 40 mins to an hour. The show is split up into 4 topics (the week's news; discussion topics; best fan feedback, weekly poll). The layout and presentation really inspired me in my pod.

I just subscribe via iTunes, but can be got at www.epicbattleaxe.com or it appears a few days later on GameTrailers.

This week on the Giant Bombcast, they do a podcast a day discussing the best and worst of the year (best action, best RPG, best music etc., covering a handful of categories every day). Yesterday's podcast (day 5) was almost 4 hours long!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Games Industry Mentor.

Interesting if you are in the games industry or trying to get in.
    Hosted by some guys from Bioware, pretty relevant to Irish gamers considering Bioware have an office in Galway now.

I might apply someday when I get back to Ireland.

I'm working on a game with a friend at the moment, so that's really relevant to me. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If your into World of Warcraft my fav podcasts are The instance & Convert to Raid, two of the best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm working on a game with a friend at the moment, so that's really relevant to me. Cheers!

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

kbmod.com for great pc gaming podcasts and bant.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

Guys if your looking for a new podcast to listen to check out a new one that me and my friends have created.
    its called Friday Night Gurriers, and its about console videogames and new movies.

you can download episode at [url]httP://fridaynightgurriers.podbean.com[/url]

or on iTunes, just search for Friday Night Gurriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Painkiller Already for Cod fans, they talk about a lot of other funny **** aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

As someone who has a historical fondness for Japanese games (which has waned considerably, with a few exceptions, but that's another story), 8-4 Play is easily my favourite video games podcast. Anyone who was a fan of 1UP Yours back in its heyday will love hearing Mark McDonald again, and his co-workers are equally entertaining and opinionated. They run a game translation company based in Shibuya, Tokyo, and talk focuses on Japanese events, though it isn't limited to those alone. It's bi-weekly and manages to be more independent-minded than most podcasts that don't have direct involvement in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Big Red Potion, the EXPcast, Cane and Rinse, Retronauts and the GameCritics.com are all great, in their own ways. The former three are particularly give thought provoking analysis of games, gaming culture and general trends in games. Retronauts is good for a laugh and nostalgia, their recent game movie series was hilarious.

A Life Well Wasted and Brany Gamer podcast are definitely worth a try to. Pity that Active Time Babble/Roleplayers' Realm is defunct, but if anybody is in to RPGs they should give them both a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Outlaw Radio

I've been lurking on BOARDS IE for about 5 years now. I never post. I finally signed up today again because I couldn't remember my old password.

I had to post here.

I do a radio show in Illinois (USA) about video games. It's on the weekend. I do a regular talk show about politics, news, life, etc. during the week, but on the weekend, it's just about video games.

The hosts and I are trying to get more people from all around the world to listen to us and to call the show live. It's a very adult conversation about video games. It actually airs today at 2pm CENTRAL TIME in America. I would LOVE to get some of you to call the show!!

Here is a link to some of our discussions and some of the past shows. I hope you like it. :D

http://kramersforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=334

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Outlaw Radio

PS: I'm not selling anything, trying to get people to look at ads or hear ads - etc. I just want more people to know we're doing this show because we love video games and think more adults should get into it.

THANKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

I love to play games, specially 3D games. These are the first choice of people who love games and wining game is passion for them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anyone listen to any great episodes about videogames lately? Looking to try something new & wanna start off on the right foot

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MarkusBrady

The IGN UK podcast is pretty great. Around half the podcast is about movies and they get guests on fairly regularly. Roosterteeth and the Internet Box are also really good but focused mainly on 360 stuff. I think these have been mentioned earlier but The Geekbox, Rebel FM and Gamescoop are all pretty awesome.

My new favourite podcast is Gameological (http://gameological.com/category/podcast/).

The host (John Teti) kept plugging it while co-hosting on Eurogamer's E3 podcasts, so I thought I'd check it out (Teti was very good on the Eurogamer podcasts). Very interesting, intelligent discussion about specific game topics. There are seven there. The first four cover topics such as:

Mastery of Games
    Game Endings
    Best/Worst Opening Acts in Games
    Cheating in Games

The other 3 are the same as Eurogamer's E3 podcasts (they were a collaboration).

Really worth a listen for some great discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Weekend Confirmed is hosted by Garnett Lee, the host of 1UP Yours back in in its heyday. Jeff Cannata and him make a good core pairing for the show and you'll here plenty of familiar voices from the 1UP days popping up now and then, even if they have a little too much time for comedians-turned-games-commentators.

Giantbomb is always highly regarded and I used to listen to the Hotspot on Gamespot back when that was hosted by what would become the Giantbomb team (ironically Giantbomb is now owned by Gamespot but that's a twisting story in its own right) but I could never really sync up with the hosts or their opinions. Horses for courses, I guess.

And that guy trying to shill his show and convince someone, anyone that he was 'lurking for 5 years' but 'had forgotten my password' was priceless. Copy + paste into every podcast forum he could find, huh?

Advertisement