Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone
    Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!

I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I'm coming up to 80 days :eek::o:p

No intention of going back on it either. Was tough at first, but I don't even notice it now.

A friend I hadn't seen in a while bought me a glass of wine at the weekend and I politely declined and swapped it for a non-alcoholic drink.

Not quite sure if she forgot or just presumed I was back on it. :D

Can't stress enough how much better my life is at the moment and how much happier I am. I haven't felt this good in years!:p

That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

hubba wrote: »
    That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!

Thanks Hubba :)

My mind is clearer, I am making far better decisions and am able to 100% stand by them.

I have commenced some training in a volunteer field I have always been interested in and have met some FANTASTIC people :D

I have applied for a scholarship (fingers crossed).

Everything in my life now seems totally manageable - i love it and am just going to keep going now. No turning back to the way I was. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that :)

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that :)

Well then just the exercise. It will help in a big way with the sleeping. I wasn't huge either but I was slightly over weight. With all the abuse I done to my body I deserved to be 20 stone but got away with just being under 17 when I stopped back in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either

seanrose wrote: »
    37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either

Well done. I'm the same keep spending money on ****e haha! Ah well better that then on nothing to show for it except a hangover. I'll be off it 6 months in 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone
    Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!

I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours ;)
    What I'm finding annoying is the people that won't say no. The have a drink brigade . Have a drink
    Me no thanks
    Just one?
    No thanks I'm on anti biotics
    One won't hurt
    No thanks
    Just one go on!!!!

It's frustrating

well done Kendall Rapid Bug,yeah i dont worry bout the money part as its true when they say your health your wealth especially when it comes to you mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

17 days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aish_ie

Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Aish_ie wrote: »
    Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?

We not allowed by boards rules to give advice about AA meetings or any other groups such as life ring which help people with alcohol problems for young people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SandraNiD

30 days.

had a serious drink problem a few years back. did a stint in bushy park and then was able to ''moderate it''

knocked it on the head sort of over the past year only drinking sporadically. fell off the wagon after christmas.

came to a head a few weeks ago.

30 days clean now. it's my birthday this sunday and hopefully I can stay out of the dreaded cycle and stay clean.

long road to recovery has begun.

''So in the end, was it worth it Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last days of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by when they're busy making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door.''

well done sandra

when you say moderate it do you mean stopping drinking to excess thus stopping the blackouts or where you still unable to control drinking to excess.

i hope you do stay out of the cycle and what i would say is enjoy your birthday because if you wake up on monday morning with another hangover it will ruin the memories of your birthday.

I would be a sporadic drinker as well but when i do drink i drink to excess,would love to be one of the person that knows when they have had enough but for the time being enjoy my alcohol free life (46 days today).hopefully some day i might have a healthy relationship with alcohol that i know when to stop and stop the blackouts but know that day may never come

good luck sandra and have a good birthday,think of something you always wanted to do and treat yourself and do it for your birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aish_ie

realies wrote: »
    Aish_ie wrote: »

We not allowed by boards rules to give advice about AA meetings or any other groups such as life ring which help people with alcohol problems for young people ;)
    Ok ty I didn't know that 25 year old to me is young but not a teenager 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SandraNiD

thanks for your encouraging words sean.

When I say ''moderate'' I was still drinking very heavily. tbh was probably just fooling myself thinking I had it under control

I know I won't drink this weekend for my birthday.

I know I've said it before, but I'm done with that lifestyle now. I can't do it anymore.

Feel great atm, a sober mind is a healthy mind and a strong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Today will be a year off drink for me! I posted about it back on page 3 before ;).

I am so happy I've come this far. Still a young lad (24 this year), but I had great fun, even without the drink.

I only intended on doing this for a year and see how I got on after that. I've found some new interests which don't involve getting pissed, so that's great. Don't know if I'll ever go back to it, but we shall see!

This ISN'T an April Fool's joke, I just happened to give up on April 1st last year :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Oh well done Marcus, it must be particularly challenging at your age so I am full of admiration. Really, well done indeed. You are an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Well done Marcus!
    Have been off it for Lent, longest that I have been off it (including Paddy's Day) in about 5 years I'd say. I honestly don't miss it at all. The only thing that I find hard now is if I am in a pub I would be very tempted to have a pint of Guinness. Apart from that it has been fine, I feel much better already and look a bit healthier even. Hopefully this will help encourage some of my friends to do the same thing, every time my friends want to meet up alcohol seems like an obligation in order to get people out... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Thank you very much to both hubba, RingTheAlarm! and anyone who thanked my post. It means a lot guys! Appreciate it.

Good look with your journey RingTheAlarm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Had my last drink on holidays in Boston on 30th Nov 2010. I wasn't an alcoholic by any means but I definitely did the same amount of drinking as most Irish lads my age (along with other drugs when I was in my early 20s which I no longer do either).

I'm 26 now and I'm very happy with life. I have a job that I love (I don't even consider it a job to be honest, it's my life) that I never would have progressed in to the point I'm at now if I didn't stop drinking.

The extra cash I have from now from not drinking allows me to afford have my own place to live. I also eat really well and regularly spend money on nice new clothes that I like :)

I still go out on the weekends quite a bit (I'm actually going out with about 10 of the lads tonight) and still enjoy myself. I suppose I'm fortunate enough to have had friends that never questioned me or pressured me when I told them I had stopped drinking. I'm also fortunate enough that being around drunk people doesn't really bother me that much unless they are absolutely **** faced.

Also, a tip I can give to anyone who is considering not drinking but who finds themselves in the pub being offered a drink...don't say "I'm off the drink". That will just result in people trying to force a pint into your hand. Always say "I don't drink". People accept that a lot easier :)

56 days done

i said id do lent and have done it for the first time,that meant missing out on a few nights but dont mind that

planning at the minute to go out tonight but dont know if i will drink or not,if i do i want to keep it in moderation and not have the same episodes i had before and waking up tomorrow not remembering a thing

have spent a while reading up the drink aware website and will do my best to listen to the tips

56 days done

i said id do lent and have done it for the first time,that meant missing out on a few nights but dont mind that

planning at the minute to go out tonight but dont know if i will drink or not,if i do i want to keep it in moderation and not have the same episodes i had before and waking up tomorrow not remembering a thing

have spent a while reading up the drink aware website and will do my best to listen to the tips

Great work Seanrose, do what you feel is best for yourself :)

thanks realies

have been here before in this situation and it hasnt work but feel confident and know that being drunk does nothing for my personality

but hopefully actions can speak louder than words this time

Was 6 months on Thursday. Feeling great one day at a time! ;)

Great work Kendall Rapid Bug ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

40 days lads!!!
    finally starting to come out of that alcohol brain fog!

56 days done

well ended up going out and did moderate,went to a mates house and had a few tins and then on to a disco for a few hours,no blackouts or anything and can remember the whole night but yesterday was a waste of a day,couldnt settle between the couch or the bed and just snoozed all day and couldnt sleep then last night,awake from 3 in the morning

for anybody thinking that there missing out on anything out there by being off the drink,youre not missing anything apart from the hangovers

have training tonight so hopefully sweat everything out of me tonight and get back my normal sleeping routine tonight

dont know whats in store now but dont know if i want another absincthe from it but see how the next week goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I had half a glass of wine last week and even then I threw it out as I didn't like taste. Think I'm just going to go off it for good now. I went from Christmas to end of march no problem.
    I got the usual though on Sunday , so in the end I just said I don't drink.

• Advertisement

well ended up going out and did moderate,went to a mates house and had a few tins and then on to a disco for a few hours,no blackouts or anything and can remember the whole night but yesterday was a waste of a day,couldnt settle between the couch or the bed and just snoozed all day and couldnt sleep then last night,awake from 3 in the morning

for anybody thinking that there missing out on anything out there by being off the drink,youre not missing anything apart from the hangovers

have training tonight so hopefully sweat everything out of me tonight and get back my normal sleeping routine tonight

dont know whats in store now but dont know if i want another absincthe from it but see how the next week goes

Hi seanrose, to me and this is my personel opinon that effects me, moderating is something that people without an alcohol problem can do. I was never take it or leave it. I found out that moderating was just me tricking myself into thinking that I was doing something about the problem. We can be very clever when we are convincing ourselves that certain situations "need" alcohol involved.

Moderating for me was just another rabbit hole. It was my drinking problem's revenge for me admitting that the problem was there. When I was "moderating" I was always thinking about the second and third drink when I was on my first, feeling deprived. Then every once in a while, I would "reward" myself for "moderating" by blowing a whole weekend on binging. Then the guilt would reappear and I would have to get back to "moderating.:o So even though I have met a very small few people who can moderate it certainally never could be for me,Hopefully and I say this with truth you can do it if that is what you want,great job on your work so far :) and keep us informed.

Advertisement